What are you listening to?

Julian H. Cope

Just got "In the Blue Light"--the latest album by Paul Simon. It's an album in which he has re-recorded ten songs from his solo career--less familiar songs, perhaps--that he considers somewhat under-rated, or overlooked. His music has usually had a solid rhythm, based in the rock, R&B, and blues genres. On this album, the arrangements are primarily jazz and classically orientated. It's a more sedate and contemplative sound, which won't appeal to everyone, I suppose.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Goat Girl - "Goat Girl"

I'm going to see them in Hyde Park, supporting The National and Florence + the Machine.

I'm currently listening to Kacey Musgrave's Golden Hour. She is my favourite singer-songwriter atm - a modern equivalent of Joni Mitchell - and I've been to see her live a couple of times.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm going to see them in Hyde Park, supporting The National and Florence + the Machine.

I'm currently listening to Kacey Musgrave's Golden Hour. She is my favourite singer-songwriter atm - a modern equivalent of Joni Mitchell - and I've been to see her live a couple of times.

Yes, like Musgraves’ “High Horse”.

Crows “Silver Tongues” another superb recent effort.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Epica feat Floor Jansen - Sancta Terra

I like your style. Floor is, of course, now fronting Nightwish.

JINJER - Pisces lol.gif

New band to me, but the way she switches from 'normal' vocals to growling provides an interesting contrast to bands such as Arch Enemy ( with either Angela or Alissa on vocals ).

Edited by badgerx16

• 2 weeks later...

Not quite the norm for this thread but reacquainting myself with Bruckner's 8th before hearing a live performance at the Proms.

Bruckner is so like Saints. Can be exciting, but long anxious periods full of hopeful anticipation, the occasional glorious climax, usually fading away all too quickly.

And perfect for the forum doubters. Bruckner was always critical of his own work. Never satisfied.

But my favourite composer.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Rodan - Juicy Lucy

This belter is definitely the best track from Rodan's self titled 1974 long player.

That said, the whole album is absolutely first class and well worth a listen.

It's pigeon holed as progressive but has more in common with Bakerloo and The Greatest Show On Earth (both part of the Harvest Records stable) than with Pink Floyd.

As far as I'm aware, the members of the band never recorded anything else, neither collectively nor individually. I've no idea why that's the case, but I can't help feeling that it's a shame

It's incredibly rare, with only 200 copies pressed and bizarrely, there has been never been a reissue, neither vinyl nor digital.

As a consequence it now regularly changes hands for over £500.

http://

Sent via Telepot Contact @ 9pm GMT

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Not heard of them but just played the album and agree with you!

Also just played the new Who album. You might think that it is time Townshend and Daltrey retired but it is actually quite good.

They are Kami Thompson (Richard Thompson`s daughter) and James Welbourne (from The Pretenders). I can highly recommend their other albums "Fair Warning" and "Other People". Saw them in Winchester the night of the Leicester City game!! We saw the Who at Wembley a year or two back.....they were still phenomenal! Have listened to previews of the new album and it does sound bloody good!

They are Kami Thompson (Richard Thompson`s daughter) and James Welbourne (from The Pretenders). I can highly recommend their other albums "Fair Warning" and "Other People". Saw them in Winchester the night of the Leicester City game!! We saw the Who at Wembley a year or two back.....they were still phenomenal! Have listened to previews of the new album and it does sound bloody good!

I shall download the other albums too then. Thanks for the heads up. There is one track on The Who album called Hero Ground Zero which is pure vintage Who. They will never be the same without Moon and Entwhistle but there is plenty here to please old Who fans.

I shall download the other albums too then. Thanks for the heads up. There is one track on The Who album called Hero Ground Zero which is pure vintage Who. They will never be the same without Moon and Entwhistle but there is plenty here to please old Who fans.

The thing is with The Rails albums, I can`t choose a favourite.....I like them all equally. They also have a very, very good EP called "Australia" which is only available from their website. This is also worth getting. On the subject of the Who, have you heard the Roger Daltry plus concert orchestra 50th Anniversary version of "Tommy" https://store.thewho.com/*/Roger-Daltrey/The-Who-s-Tommy-Orchestral-CD/64VR0PCM000 which came out earlier this year? Very good IMHO.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

The best album I've bought this past year is "Johann Sebastian Bach" by the Icelandic pianist Víkingur Ólafsson. It's a collection of solo piano pieces. Brilliant. If you like solo piano classical music, this is an album you'd love. Highly recommended.

The album includes this set of variations--Aria variata (alla maniera italiana) in A Minor, BWV 989. Here's a live performance of it:

• 2 weeks later...

Bought these new records in the last 2 weeks.

Flat Worms - Antarctica

Wilma Archer - A Western Circula

Stephen Malkmus - Traditional Techniques

Daniel Avery & Alessandro Cortini - An Illusion of Time

Vanishing Twin - The Age of Immunology (bit late on this one, it came out last year)

Talk Show - These People EP

Pigsx7 - Viscerals

• 1 month later...
The best album I've bought this past year is "Johann Sebastian Bach" by the Icelandic pianist Víkingur Ólafsson. It's a collection of solo piano pieces. Brilliant. If you like solo piano classical music, this is an album you'd love. Highly recommended.

The album includes this set of variations--Aria variata (alla maniera italiana) in A Minor, BWV 989. Here's a live performance of it:

Yes, he is a real emerging talent. My all-time favourite pianist for Bach was Sviatoslav Richter. He was one of the greatest pianists of the last century and I was lucky enough to see him play Bach. This is a fascinating documentary about his life:

During the lockdown I've been watching and listening to the daily Metropolitan Opera House stream. You'd normally have to pay for it but they have made it available for free during the coronavirus crisis. Today's stream is a production of Rigoletto set in 1960s Las Vegas and it works surprisingly well:

https://metoperafree.brightcove.services/?videoId=6154160288001

Ravel, Debussy & Fauré String Quartets by Quatuor Ebène. If you like French music, it doesn't get much better than this album. I saw them play the Ravel Quartet at the Wigmore Hall. They are brilliant live.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ravel%2c+debussy%2c+faure+quatuor+ebene&docid=607996708351509137&mid=DB2700DC04B7249E9E97DB2700DC04B7249E9E97&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

Randomly on Spotify discovery The Rip by Portishead. Forgotten what a song it is.

Also the cover of Love will Tear us Apart by Nerina Pallot - superb and Ian Curtis lyrics so clear in slowed down version

Yes, he is a real emerging talent. My all-time favourite pianist for Bach was Sviatoslav Richter. He was one of the greatest pianists of the last century and I was lucky enough to see him play Bach. This is a fascinating documentary about his life:

I loved the Bach album that Olafsson did so much that I recently bought his other two albums: one is called "Debussy - Rameau", and features solo piano pieces by Claude Debussy and Jean-Philippe Rameau; the other is called "Philip Glass- Piano Works" and features primarily a collection of Glass's piano etudes. Both albums are superb.

• 1 month later...

I never knew Mclusky name checked Marian Pahars in one of their tunes... Friends Stoning Friends... its a belter of a lyric too in the refrain toward midway through the track: 

(I'll see you on the moon with Marian Pahars)
(Return to earth for soya milk and underwired bras)

if you're minded to listen to a bit of McLusky you might enjoy it. 

Edited by jasonb

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...