What are you listening to?

Julian H. Cope

Had a day at Common People festival yesterday (and going again today). Highlights so far: Black Kat Boppers on the uncommon stage, Fatboy Slim closing the first day. Downsides: George The Poet, De La Soul: disappointing.

The endless f*cking queueing for drinks, toilets and food. Hideous.

Had a day at Common People festival yesterday (and going again today). Highlights so far: Black Kat Boppers on the uncommon stage, Fatboy Slim closing the first day. Downsides: George The Poet, De La Soul: disappointing.

I queued up to use the fancy toilet, still took 10 minutes but very nice experience. Nicer than my own one.

Glad I gave it a miss. Was quite excited when I heard about it originally but a combination of a lazy line up and prohibitive rules meant I didn't bother.

The no re-entry one was the main thing. People should be allowed to nip home for a slash or go out and get some food and drink rather than pay the extortionate on site prices. That's what wristbands are for.

The no re-entry one was the main thing. People should be allowed to nip home for a slash or go out and get some food and drink rather than pay the extortionate on site prices. That's what wristbands are for.

There was re-entry so long you came back by 8pm, thats what we did. Took the kids for the afternoon.

Not long back, trying to compose my thoughts fully before writing in much detail but, wow. That really was a truly stunning performance.

Haven't had a chance to listen to loads, but even without knowing all the stuff it was a wonderful night.

Glad to hear it. Makes me more excited for Brighton in September.

On a different track here's a tune by Westkust, the Swedish indie shoegazers who have made one of my favourite albums of the year so far

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozMPj1uqHhE

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Music Complete, by New Order. A couple of spins in now and it's... alright. They're certainly better with Gillian and without Hooky than they were the other way around. Beats, tunes, less of the stodgy rock. Obviously nowhere near their 80s prime, but far and away better than the last couple. I wonder if I'd listen to it if it wasn't by New Order? Probably not, but it's OK.

Interstellar original soundtrack.

If you're a fan of the film then it's a must.

It will take you back to the film. Very uplifting in parts.

Illuminated edition the one with most on it but expensive.

Seems even soundtracks even get the 'different' version treatment now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Enjoying the new Def Leppard album. Best one IMHO since Hysteria. An eclectic album with a lot of good songs with different styles. After 30 odd yeasr in the wilderness its great to see them return to form. Obvious Beatles/ Queen influences throughout. Looking forward to seeing them in December

• 2 weeks later...
Bravo! Beautiful music. I have the Netania Davrath version (recorded in 1963). One of the very best versions, IMHO!

I thought it was just me! Thank goodness for at least one other convert. I`ve heard the Davrath version and also Dame Kiri`s. No problem with either but there`s just something about the Upshaw and Kent Nagaro one that makes it special for me. Maybe because the first time I heard it was on Classic FM about 10 years ago driving home to Kent from a depressing defeat at SMS.

I thought it was just me! Thank goodness for at least one other convert. I`ve heard the Davrath version and also Dame Kiri`s. No problem with either but there`s just something about the Upshaw and Kent Nagaro one that makes it special for me. Maybe because the first time I heard it was on Classic FM about 10 years ago driving home to Kent from a depressing defeat at SMS.

That would do it!

As is often the case with classical music, we tend to prefer the first version we heard — the one that attracted us to the piece in the first place. Even though there are better recorded, and better mastered, versions of the following works, I still like to listen to these recordings that I first heard in the mid-60s: Yehudi Menuhin doing the Mendelssohn Violin Concerto; Solomon doing the Grieg Piano Concerto; and Rudolph Serkin doing Beethoven's Emperor Concerto. One of the downfalls, in a way, of repetitive listening?

P.S. I'm gonna check out the Upshaw version. Thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

On rotation:

Bob Stanley and Pete Wigg present English Weather

The Shins - Heartworms

Spoon - Hot Thoughts