What are you listening to?

Julian H. Cope

lol, I love the way that you are basically me, in musical taste terms.

On the way to work this morning it was "Vs." by Mission of Burma. What a groundbreaking album that was, still sounds amazing.

Saturday morning I had to give my bro a lift to play golf and listened to the entirety of Minutemen "Double Nickels on The Dime" - all 43 tracks, driving through the forest, in the sunshine. It was awesome.

Throw in the Black Flag, Dinosaur and Sonic Youth I have returned to in the past week and my life has been a bit on an SST/80s indie records love in.

All great stuff!

Right. May have mentioned I'm off to see Snow Patrol Calvin Harris & M People 2mro about a zillion times

BUT

Late this PM mate called up had a spare ticket to see Duran Duran tonight. So had a few before setting out, heard Simon Le Bon wasn't the world's greatest frontman

But.

Have to say.

Absolutely loved it great gig. Anyone over 40. If they are coming your way, get the throat lozenges out, have a bucket of beers and go sing-a-long

Vid uploading may try post l8r

Just back from Sandance Dubai. Jeez. Bit of Blighty on the Beach. been here 19 years and never had a scrap. 2 night I had 3.

Won 2 with "The Look" and one with the theatrical arm pull back. That is SO wrong.

The main event was Snow Patrol. 1st ever gig I have seen here where the entire crowd had already lost the plot (thanks to the all day boozing on a Friday culture here) Was sort of a Glasto on Testosterone.

Band were superb. WAY better than the Duran sisters last night.

Atlantis & Virgin Holidays offer packages for those from UK who fancy getting shredded & aggressive. Next up in April is Kaiser Chiefs & Armand Van Buren

Totally THE most random night out I have ever had in this weird town, and the women? Jeez lads - SuperMikey would not know where to look. Us Old Farts? Just bring a CPR machine with you.

Eric? We are Sooooooo going next month Dude

Man I love that Refused record. I remember buying it on the day it came out and reading the extensive liner notes on the bus home as it ripped through my headphones. Magic.

Today I had to drive down to Havant and back - bleuurrgh - but did so whilst listening to Lift To Experience (Texas/Jerusalem Crossroads LP) and the last Metronomy album, which still sounds great.

Dry The River - Shallow Bed

Been looking forward to this album for a long time, and I finally got a decent listen yesterday. If you've not heard this band before, imagine a kind of 3-way love-child of Elbow, Fleet Foxes and The Maccabees. Lazy comparisons, but they have the crossover appeal of all 3 of those bands. Beautiful harmonies, songs range from acoustic fairytales (Family, History Book, Shaker Hymns) through to bombastic guitar-shredding (No Ceremony, Weights & Measures, Lion's Den), always tracked by soaring violin melodies.

I was slightly worried about what the finished product of this album would be like, as one of my favourite songs of theirs (Family Tree) was reworked into Family, the album-closing track. It's not hugely different, but the structure was changed slightly as well as the lyrics in the verses, and I have to say that I don't like the new version as much as the older version. However, the album is pretty faithful to the original tracks, so that's a nice surprise.

Catchy choruses, beautiful harmonies and well-written lyrics abound in this album, and I hope that the band get the credit they're due now with this one. It's a great album, and one of my favourites of the year already. Needless to say I shall be listening to it a lot over the coming weeks! Get your hands on a copy if you can, and go for the Deluxe Edition as well because it contains several live versions of album tracks which are great and showcase the talents of the guys - it's not all done in post-production like a lot of music is nowadays. Can't wait to see them live again when they're touring this album - saw them at Glastonbury last summer and they were great. Recommended them to my Dad who then saw them the next day (he had never heard them before) and he left with goosebumps all over singing their praises to high heavens.

They will be big this year.

9/10

• 2 weeks later...

Orbital - Wonky.

Ok there might be some bias here because I have long been a huge fan of theirs, but I can honestly say I have never been this impressed with a 'comeback' album. It's head and shoulders above the last 3 albums they did before they split and right up there among the best stuff they have ever done (will never be better than In-Sides though).

Orbital - Wonky.

Ok there might be some bias here because I have long been a huge fan of theirs, but I can honestly say I have never been this impressed with a 'comeback' album. It's head and shoulders above the last 3 albums they did before they split and right up there among the best stuff they have ever done (will never be better than In-Sides though).

Love that tune! Nothing like a bit of Orbital.

I've had this playing constantly recently, the new tune by Major Lazer:

[video=youtube;M6Uu0JDkp-0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6Uu0JDkp-0

It does not matter what Genre of music you like. It does not matter were you live on this planet, BUT, if they EVER come your way, drop everything, sell your Soul or your ST and see The Eagles in Concert - Seriously, Take it to the limit, one last time

Couldn't agree more.....just got home (Sharjah) can't believe what I've just witnessed on that stage tonight.

Since they are back, At The Drive-in - Relationship of command on repeat for the last month.

This. I'm holding out for a string of club dates as I'm not seeing them at a festival.

I've been mostly listening to Bob Dylan recently and Superchunk! I bet not many remember Superchunk... check them out if power indie pop is your thing.

I've been listening to the Django Django album.

This would be an early standout track:-

But the rest of the album is really starting to worm into my head now. Highly recommended if you can deal with a bit o' quirk.

Full version of the Major Lazer song I posted above was released the other day, I think it's probably my favourite song of the year so far tbh. It just gets in your head and stays there.

God awful and bloody annoying.

Does get in your head though. cheers.

God awful and bloody annoying.

Does get in your head though. cheers.

:lol:

Sorry about that. I like it, but i'm biased as i'm a huge fan of Diplo, the Major Lazer alias stuff and also Dirty Projectors.

Currently listening to the new album by The Cribs, on first listen I really like it. It's carrying on from that evolution that Jonny Marr brought to the band in terms of production and sound, but I think they've recaptured that anarchic element that made their first few albums so brilliant. That's pretty evident from the lead single "Come On, Be A No-One" and also from the galloping "Chi-Town". Give it a listen.

The Cribs – In The Belly Of The Brazen Bull

The Boys were on Da Beach tonight promotion Party time

Travis - Sing a long gold

Japenese Popstars - Why?

Trichny Snyder? WTF I mean why?

Zane Lowe - Oh man he took us WAY beyond dancing like Dads. We got da hands in da air like we don't care = AWESOME

FatBoy Slim. Oh yes. I don't EVER want to listen to his stuff on the radio (or Album) but tonight? Dude that was freaking AWESOME

I think Eric MAy have a head ache tomorrow. Me? Where am I? All I remember was singing Saints songs on the Bus home