What are you listening to?

Julian H. Cope

I agree actually. Pop music had really stagnated before she came along, just a succession of RnB tracks from young women. I'm not really a huge fan of Gaga's music, but I quite like that she doesn't seem to give a fück about her actions. Smoking weed onstage, fighting paps... She's a bit of old school rock and roll in a sanitised time where record companies think music won't sell unless the performer is a squeaky-clean Aryan choir-boy.

This is what I love about her.

• 2 weeks later...

Keep your ears peeled for #HOLLAPHONIC

I Don't Want it to end.

Their first single just got it's first airplay over here today. 2 local "lads" got their recording contract in December. Not yet available on download but will post link when it is. But their deal is Global not local.

From all the Twitter feeds, they Smashed It.

Would not bother bigging up a "Local" record except. One of the pair is a member of the Dubai Saints Massive.

Woo hoo we have ANOTHER nutter/global superstar in our midst!

And, for the post with the link, MLG will have something to "research" :o that will be relevant

Anyway they are on FB & Twitter under that hashtag

• 2 weeks later...

I've just received the new CD by Brian Eno. It's called Lux. It's an album of "ambient music" created to accompany an exhibition of his art at the Palace of Venaria in Turin, Italy.

It's the usual hypnotic stuff - if you're at all familiar with his ambient recordings (Discreet Music, Music For Films, Music For Airports, etc.), this is more of the same. Added to Eno's keyboard work is some Moog guitar by Leo Abrahams and some violin and viola parts by Neil Catchpole. Included with the "first edition" run of the CD are four 5"x 5" colour prints.

New Joy formidable album, loved the first, after a couple of listens, pretty sure I'm going to love this one too (Wolf's Law, it's called.). Worth a listen me thinks.

Also a HUGE fan of Peace, cannot get this track out of my head at the minute:

Also, massively in love with the HAIM girls, they are just cool as fook!

I can't seem to embed, can anyone help me here? n00b alert!

Edited by KelvinsRightGlove
I cannae embed as I'm silly.

Keep your ears peeled for #HOLLAPHONIC

I Don't Want it to end.

Their first single just got it's first airplay over here today. 2 local "lads" got their recording contract in December. Not yet available on download but will post link when it is. But their deal is Global not local.

From all the Twitter feeds, they Smashed It.

Would not bother bigging up a "Local" record except. One of the pair is a member of the Dubai Saints Massive.

Woo hoo we have ANOTHER nutter/global superstar in our midst!

And, for the post with the link, MLG will have something to "research" :o that will be relevant

Anyway they are on FB & Twitter under that hashtag

The lads went live on Itunes today and woosh.

As Social Media here says - Wow we have a Saints Fan on top of Rihanna

https://twitter.com/GregStainer/status/298457362740674560/photo/1

Clubby boppy kind of stuff that will get remixed to death but it IS the first band from here to make any sales at all.

Now to see what happens when the dubstep guys who have been supporting them get to play with it back in the UK

https://itunes.apple.com/ae/album/i-dont-want-it-to-end-feat./id594217143

Not usually my sort of thing, but really falling in love with Chvrches at the moment.

Quite simply, just really nice songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SSW3NXdsP0

The amount of really good new music around at the moment is staggering. Britain really is rocking again! So many exciting new bands around at the moment! Love it!

John Cale: The Island Years. This is a 2-CD collection of the three albums that Cale did for Island Records in 1974-1975 (plus a few out-takes and B sides). Along with Paris 1919, this is probably the peak of his solo career. Among those playing with him on this stuff: Eno, Phil Manzenara, Chris Spedding, Richard Thompson, Pat Donaldson, Gerry Conway, and Andy Mackay. Sometimes scary; sometimes funky, sometimes beautiful; sometimes straight-ahead rock 'n' roll. If you haven't heard this stuff before, check it out. The individual LPs, in order, were Fear, Slow Dazzle and Helen of Troy.

Edited by Hamilton Saint

John Cale: The Island Years. This is a 2-CD collection of the three albums that Cale did for Island Records in 1974-1975 (plus a few out-takes and B sides). Along with Paris 1919, this is probably the peak of his solo career. Among those playing with him on this stuff: Eno, Phil Manzenara, Chris Spedding, Richard Thompson, Pat Donaldson, Gerry Conway, and Andy Mackay. Sometimes scary; sometimes funky, sometimes beautiful; sometimes straight-ahead rock 'n' roll. If you haven't heard this stuff before, check it out. The individual LPs, in order, were Fear, Slow Dazzle and Helen of Troy.

Bosh! That really is vintage stuff. As you say, Paris 1919 is also an amazing record, disarmingly charming and then lyrically sly.

I'm currently listening to Fire! Orchestra - Exit!

A very curious but successful blend of big band, free jazz, post rock and all sorts. Fire! is usually a trio led by Mats Gustafsson, on fierce skronky sax (check out his other band, The Thing, and the album they made last year with Neneh Cherry, another surprise belter). This time there's a 20-something piece band behind them, recorded live. Tremendously powerful and abrasive in places, remarkably subtle and winning in others. Sort of at the accessible end of 'out there'.

Strewth.

What an incredibly complicated task.

Honey, I need you to pick around 300 minutes of music for our wedding. You have from age 4 up to age 90. you have 100 Polish People and around 60 Brits. You have a mix of Germans, Hungarians and Americans as well so the music has to cater to the tastes of around 180 people.

You need to pick music that they can dance to, sing-a-long to. You need Slow Dances, you need Dad Dancing tracks for when the Vodka has kicked in.

And I need the list in 3 days... Crikey

Strewth what a wicked game to play.

But there ain't no stopping us now, making sure the guests have good times as FMDP & I head out on our highway to hell.

Have to make sure they don't sit down all night long and let's dance one more time.

Make sure I’ve got the power so we can be dancing in the dark and the love hangover lasts into a blue monday but when it comes to making sure the music sounds better with you I'm worried FMDP will say I can't go for that (no can do).

Everyone says don't give up, (it won't be the same) without you, (it's OK our Usher will be a feature) I promise FMDP will never be somebody that I used to know, and staying alive until 7am we’ll know everyones' beds are burning, I have more than a feeling that I don't wanna miss a thing.

Hope I don't have to say why does it always rain on me? and I can give FMDP the best of my love

Must say, I predict a riot, as that’s the way I like it, The one night of the year to discover are we human or are we dancers?

Right, now where the hell can I get some ideas for music for the party?

3 days of inputs from mates & families, listening to stuff on You Tube.

It covers 60's through to Rihanna's Diamonds, I found superb Soundcloud Remixes (hell even found a version of Gotye that we can actually dance to!)

I've found old friends, songs I know but had never heard the name of (or the band name) Slow Rock, Indie Metal & Punk classics and the ONLY cheese? The Human League.

And, at the end of the exercise?

The ONE song (apart from the first Dance song) that simply HAD to be played?

THE song that means the most to us and our closest friends?

C'mon, it's obvious.

Sha la la la lalala la.

WTFILN.

Can't wait to see what the cultural mix makes of 20 Saints fans belting that out on the big day!

gepanuhy.jpg

Oh yeah mosh pit with eric at our age

Was it a good gig? Hell yes.

Was it a great gig? Hmm few times Ian Brown seemed to go way off key sounding like a bad karaoke singer, BUT the crowd was wild, so NEARLY a great gig.

Lots of love and hugs between the band when they finished.

Oh & we had Liam Gallagher & his kids in the house about 30 feet from us, no I didn't go ask him if he was playing golf while he was here

Edited by dubai_phil