What are you listening to?

Julian H. Cope

What exactly are you insinuating Mikey?

Great band though, love their album.

Haha it's nothing personal - but I feel very behind the curve in terms of what people are listening to now, especially when I see what you post up on here. I like most of it, but I barely know who any of these new bands f*cking are! I guess i've been stuck in an Arcade Fire rut for the last couple of years..

Haha it's nothing personal - but I feel very behind the curve in terms of what people are listening to now, especially when I see what you post up on here. I like most of it, but I barely know who any of these new bands f*cking are! I guess i've been stuck in an Arcade Fire rut for the last couple of years..

I don't know half the stuff that gets posted on here.

It's just having a desk job. I listen to stuff most of the day, and get bored of stuff quickly. As a result I'm always trying new stuff. Think that's all really.

I don't know half the stuff that gets posted on here.

It's just having a desk job. I listen to stuff most of the day, and get bored of stuff quickly. As a result I'm always trying new stuff. Think that's all really.

That's fair enough, I don't really know the channels to get into new stuff apart from Spotify and reading NME tbh - are there any blogs or sites that you would recommend? I'm starting to feel very behind the times..

That's fair enough, I don't really know the channels to get into new stuff apart from Spotify and reading NME tbh - are there any blogs or sites that you would recommend? I'm starting to feel very behind the times..

I do a lot of related artist searching on Spotify, usually resulting in listening to a lot of crap. Which kind of makes it more exciting when you find something decent (Christ I'm sad).

Errrm just the usual ones I think, nothing that out there really.

Drowned in Sound

Line of Best Fit

Are the ones I use most, though usually look out for the "records you have to hear this week" or whatever it is on the NME site, though I generally don't like NME.

I swear there's more but I can't think of them. I'll PM you when/if they come to me.

I have to say, I haven't picked up a copy of NME for years and years, I just can't get over their incessant bum-licking of some artists. Have liked those pages, but I guess i'll just do some more artist-surfing on Spotify which is how i've been going the last couple of years. My little brother is 16 and is asking me about bands that i've never heard of who are apparently quite popular - I used to give him his cues on who he should be listening to :(

I do actually have one artist recommendation - Chrome Sparks. Kind of like Bonobo crossed with The Chemical Brothers.

I have to say, I haven't picked up a copy of NME for years and years, I just can't get over their incessant bum-licking of some artists. Have liked those pages, but I guess i'll just do some more artist-surfing on Spotify which is how i've been going the last couple of years. My little brother is 16 and is asking me about bands that i've never heard of who are apparently quite popular - I used to give him his cues on who he should be listening to :(

I do actually have one artist recommendation - Chrome Sparks. Kind of like Bonobo crossed with The Chemical Brothers.

Just gave it a listen. I like this, cheers Mikey.

I do a lot of related artist searching on Spotify, usually resulting in listening to a lot of crap. Which kind of makes it more exciting when you find something decent (Christ I'm sad).

Errrm just the usual ones I think, nothing that out there really.

Drowned in Sound

Line of Best Fit

Are the ones I use most, though usually look out for the "records you have to hear this week" or whatever it is on the NME site, though I generally don't like NME.

I swear there's more but I can't think of them. I'll PM you when/if they come to me.

It's always worth checking out online shops for new releases. My favourites are Piccadilly Records and Boomkat. Both are based in Manchester. If I lived there I'd never be out of the places.

They have sound clips of most releases on their sites, unlike Rough Trade which I also find more expensive anyway.

Boomkat is great for all dance genres, weird limited vinyl releases and stuff you just don't hear anywhere else. Piccadilly covers a wider base and has excellent reviews.

http://boomkat.com/

http://www.piccadillyrecords.com/counter/index.php

It's always worth checking out online shops for new releases. My favourites are Piccadilly Records and Boomkat. Both are based in Manchester. If I lived there I'd never be out of the places.

They have sound clips of most releases on their sites, unlike Rough Trade which I also find more expensive anyway.

Boomkat is great for all dance genres, weird limited vinyl releases and stuff you just don't hear anywhere else. Piccadilly covers a wider base and has excellent reviews.

http://boomkat.com/

http://www.piccadillyrecords.com/counter/index.php

Cheers mate, I'll give them a look.

Makes me miss hanging out in Crash Records & Jumbo Records back when I was living in Leeds. That said, I'm in London now and never go in to record stores.

Edited by KelvinsRightGlove

Cheers mate, I'll give them a look.

Makes me miss hanging out in Crash Records & Jumbo Records back when I was living in Leeds. That said, I'm in London now and never go in to record stores.

I used to travel up to Berwick Street record shopping quite often about 10-15 years ago. A few of them have closed now though, and the rising price of vinyl has put a stop to any chance of finding random gems for next to nothing in London. I still love Sister Ray, quality shop.

I used to travel up to Berwick Street record shopping quite often about 10-15 years ago. A few of them have closed now though, and the rising price of vinyl has put a stop to any chance of finding random gems for next to nothing in London. I still love Sister Ray, quality shop.

Think that's the thing, I never really bought Vinyl. Those ones in Leeds used to sell gig tickets to, so I was in there quite a bit and got to know some of the guys that worked in the shop, so would have a chat, listen to some new stuff and get recommendations.

I worked about 30 seconds away from Berwick Street until we moved office last year. Popped in a couple of times, but it just wasn't the same.

I am debating getting a turn table, I just fear it will kick off a proper habit, which will just be a black hole for cash (which I don't have) and space (which I have even less of!).

Think that's the thing, I never really bought Vinyl. Those ones in Leeds used to sell gig tickets to, so I was in there quite a bit and got to know some of the guys that worked in the shop, so would have a chat, listen to some new stuff and get recommendations.

I worked about 30 seconds away from Berwick Street until we moved office last year. Popped in a couple of times, but it just wasn't the same.

I am debating getting a turn table, I just fear it will kick off a proper habit, which will just be a black hole for cash (which I don't have) and space (which I have even less of!).

I've still got my Pioneer PL112D with an Ortofon FF15E but I'm not allowed to play it very often unless She's out. We still have all our vinyls that we bought in the 1960s and it's a totally different experience from modern MP3s. I have a few classical LPs including the complete DGG Ring cycle but it really ****es you off having to get up every 20 minutes to change the disc so I treated myself to a CD set a couple of years ago.

I've still got my Pioneer PL112D with an Ortofon FF15E but I'm not allowed to play it very often unless She's out. We still have all our vinyls that we bought in the 1960s and it's a totally different experience from modern MP3s. I have a few classical LPs including the complete DGG Ring cycle but it really ****es you off having to get up every 20 minutes to change the disc so I treated myself to a CD set a couple of years ago.

I do get it, I really do. I have a few vinyls, and there's something intangibly wonderful about them - and due to my lack of turntable I've only listened to them a couple of times.

And whilst they are superior to Mp3s in many ways, I'm a sucker for the ease. As I said above, I do have a tendency to get bored of stuff quickly, so being able to carry an entire music library in my pocket is very handy. Though, maybe that is also the cause?

I remember the first time I came across a CD. It was 1982 and I had designed the satellite encoder for an uplink in Atlanta and we needed some audio for the demos. The only album we had was an ELO one which must have been 'Discovery' because I just left the one track 'Confusion' on continuous repeat, which I felt was appropriate for the situation.

My business partner was on the EBU committee for setting audio standards in the late 1970s and CDs were included in his brief. I remember him saying that they had to get the discs small enough to fit into the DIN standard aperture for car radios before they could be commercially viable. He saw Sony demonstrate a CD with a 1/4 inch hole drilled in it that played flawlessly because the error correction was so good. In the event the production companies just used the resilience of the system to enable them to make poor quality products knowing that the error correction would compensate.

If you are thinking of getting one then grab a Rega or Pro-Ject. Around £200 will get you something decent that you'll be in no rush to upgrade.

But yeah, vinyl can become quite addictive. Have to say I listen to far more of it at home than cds which are now pretty much only used in the car. There's just something so right about the size of them, the artwork and the sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C45Nvuk7hLk

Midlake, Antiphon - superb album.

Yep great album.

Also liking White Denim's "Corsicana Lemonade"...good old fashioned guitar driven rock with a smattering of Lowell George flavoured vocals.

On the subject of keeping up Mikey...give up, it's not possible. I retired from 40 years of drawing office life a few year back where everybody shared music...young and old. It was a great education...from Duke Ellington to Rage Against the Machine and all shades in between but once you're out of it there's no way back...too many distractions in retirement.

I'm quite happy to listen to 3 hours of 6 Music a day and pick my interests out of that.

Vynal vs. CD vs. MP3...tinnitus is a great leveller.

Edited by lifeintheslowlane
afterthought

We went to see 20th Century Boy at the Mayflower on Thursday evening and had a whale of a time. Obviously they could never be the same as the original T.Rex but a very good effort nevertheless. All the old rockers and quite a few younger ones were bouncing in the aisles by the end.

• 3 weeks later...