Antivirus and Spyware

Guest admin

Guest admin

A common question to get asked quite a lot on this forum is about Antivirus / Spyware so will make this a sticky.

A lot of us use AVG Free for our anti virus protection : http://free.grisoft.com/ww.download-...s-free-edition

AVG now includes spyware protection.

A lot of people however like to have another program specifically for dealing with spyware. For this a lot of us use Free Super Anti Spyware: http://www.superantispyware.com/down...NTISPYWAREFREE

In personal preference I would recommend you don't install the AVG Security toolbar when asked whilst installing as I feel it is an unnecessary feature. I'd also recommend you go into Super Anti Spyware's settings after you have installed it and disable it from starting with windows. You only need to run it every now and then; particularly if you've got AVG running along side it.

For users who have used AVG in past - when upgrading to a new version it automatically uninstalls the old version.

Also in AVG there is an advertisement at the bottom of the program when you open it recommending you buy the full security version. There is a button you can press just above this advertisement which will hide it.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm going to download this as my norton subscription has expired and I understand that these are not only free but won't slow my machine down as much.

I remember reading somewhere that I need to download some software to uninstall Norton completely. Is this correct and does anyone have a link?

cheers

John

I'm going to download this as my norton subscription has expired and I understand that these are not only free but won't slow my machine down as much.

I remember reading somewhere that I need to download some software to uninstall Norton completely. Is this correct and does anyone have a link?

cheers

John

http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

Its called the Symantec removal tool. Very handy and thorough indeed.

• 1 month later...

After being a long time AVG user, I was told by some built in Windows virus checker that I had a trojan infection. I also found out that it could just be a conflict between the two scanners. I did a couple of online scans which seemed to show the trojan. Uninstalled AVG, then downloaded and ran AVAST free which showed a clean system.

What do others think about AVAST?

Avast = **** IMO.

AVG is much better. I've never heard of a built in winodws virus checker - certainly not picking up trojans. It sounds like the trojan itself has told you that.

Run Malware bytes full system scan on your computer and if that doesnt find anything run superantispyware. Both are free of charge downloads.

• 2 months later...

Snap. I don't use anti-virus any more. Mac's are susceptible, but only if you are dumb enough to open random attachments in emails that might be written for macs AND give it your system password when it executes.

Of course, it's not the mac software that makes it so safe, it's the unix architecture that its built upon.

On one of my Windows PCs I started NOT using any anti-virus or anti-spyware about 6 months ago, and I still don't. And yes, it gets used on the Net. But to this day, it has never been bothered by proper viruses or spyware. What a shocker..? ;)

Yes, of course I'm careful where I surf with it, and I never open random attachments to e-mails, whether I have anti-virus software or not. After about 6 months or so, I tend to get bored with an operating system anyway, so I tend to install something quirky, like a Linux variation or an earlier Windows to see how it copes with the relatively huge, powerful hardware it is installed on. So I think I may take my current unprotected PC into murky waters to see it get taken over and consumed by viruses. Then I'll wipe it clean and install Windows 3.11 for Workgroups, and see what happens. Should be good for a laugh.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I use avg free 8.5 which i have just installed replacing the older version.

Basically, i have ran a scan of my computer where no threats have been found however, something about tracking cookies came up on the screen. Once the scan had finished and no threats were found these tracking cookies were flagged up as a warning to a infection and moved to the virus vault.

If somebody can help it would be much appreciated, what is a tracking cookie and why did they not come up as a threat? and what can i do to get rid of this virus?

I thought this might be best to ask under this thread.

Anyway, could anyone advise me of how I get rid of hidden cookies in a Mac?

Apparently these cookies don't show up on a tif list and are hidden.

I have no idea but I got asked the question and have no idea and I know there are some Mac lovers on here who may know.

Thanks

I thought this might be best to ask under this thread.

Anyway, could anyone advise me of how I get rid of hidden cookies in a Mac?

Apparently these cookies don't show up on a tif list and are hidden.

I have no idea but I got asked the question and have no idea and I know there are some Mac lovers on here who may know.

Thanks

They might be talking about Flash Cookies which don't get deleted from the Safari/other browser 'clear cookies'.

Here's a good page which explains a bit about it and checks your system for Flash cookies, then allows you to delete them / history and change settings if required. http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager07.html

I use avg free 8.5 which i have just installed replacing the older version.

Basically, i have ran a scan of my computer where no threats have been found however, something about tracking cookies came up on the screen. Once the scan had finished and no threats were found these tracking cookies were flagged up as a warning to a infection and moved to the virus vault.

If somebody can help it would be much appreciated, what is a tracking cookie and why did they not come up as a threat? and what can i do to get rid of this virus?

A tracking cookie is just another form of cookie. In itself it is harmless, but some of them can bring trouble. My advice is to get rid of any, if flagged up by AVG, as you won't miss them.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
After being a long time AVG user, I was told by some built in Windows virus checker that I had a trojan infection. I also found out that it could just be a conflict between the two scanners.

This alsoseems to have happened to Mrs CS's machine.

She had AVG installed but after she was doing some research and tried to open an online pdf. She then had a load of warnings pop up telling her she had a trojan and that she should install what appeared to be a microsoft file called:

Setup_build8_157.exe

Needless to say she downloaded and ran it without questioning it and now has Windows Defender pop ups every 10 mins telling her she has a trojan.

"Attention a spambot, which is sending viruses to your contacts has been detected on your pc"

I've run an AVG scan which found the trojan but doesn't seem to have deleted it. The scan was set to automatically heal infections.

I tried running AVG from safe mode overnight but again it doesn't seem to have fixed it.

She has a lot of work stored on her laptop which she really can't afford to lose but obviously hasn't backed up.

Any suggestions?

Also as a seprate question isn't windows defender an antivirus program? Could it be clashing with AVG somehow?

Thanks in advance guys.

CS

EDIT:

Forgot to say that she currently can't get on line either. Both firefow and IE freeze almost imeadiatly on opening.

Edited by Clapham Saint

mate,

it seems you have been duped into d/ling a virus which looks like virus removal software

http://info.prevx.com/aboutprogramtext.asp?PX5=42A974FF0065F5A96C6A03EE99716500F3DCFAEB

Download malwarebytes anti malware and run a full scan, should get rid of it

Awesome.

Looks like its all sorted.

We've also had a small chat about downloading everything and everything that pops up on the screen so she knows how she managed it.

Cheers mate.

:cool:

If you ever get prompted to d/l anything that looks like virus removal, dont!

Glad its sorted then mate, no probs!

God knows what she's looking at online but she had another attempt to get her to down load something yesterday.

What looked exactly like a windows defender page popped up with again what looked exactly like the "My computer" window showing the drives etc.

It then looked as though it was running a scan and showed 756 (or something similarly outrageous) tojans on the c drive and propted her to down load a fix.

It was only becuase she called me over and I spotted that it was all displayed within a IE page that stopped her from doing it all over again.

W**kers :mad:

• 3 weeks later...
google revo removal tool and run that.

How does it work? I've downloaded it, but Norton doesn't show up in the list.

I uninstalled it through add/remove programs, but the f*cking Norton Protection Center pops up more time than any virus i've ever had in my life.

• 1 month later...
I've just bought a new laptop and it has come with McAfee anti-virus Center free for a year.

Now should I uninstall it and get AVG instead? Or keep with it until the subscription runs out and then switch over to AVG?

McAfee caused me no end of problems so I did switch to AVG which I have used for years.

How does it work? I've downloaded it, but Norton doesn't show up in the list.

I uninstalled it through add/remove programs, but the f*cking Norton Protection Center pops up more time than any virus i've ever had in my life.

Norton is even worse than McAfee TBH. It always seem a massive task to uninstall it ( or try to!) .

I've just bought a new laptop and it has come with McAfee anti-virus Center free for a year.

Now should I uninstall it and get AVG instead? Or keep with it until the subscription runs out and then switch over to AVG?

Keep McAfee, then when it runs out get AVG. McAfee is decent, doesn't kill your CPU like Norton

I've read a little on McAfee and quite a few people have said it slows things down compared to other software.

Shall stick with it for the time being. Think I will go with AVG when I get the desktop.

ALL A.V slows machines down a bit. McAfee is nowhere near as intrusive as Norton. I actually quite like it...

Not true. I'm a computer engineer and install it all the time and have never had any problems.

is true...am currently on a defence intel information systems course and took this programme apart earlier (with others) and it is a no-no im afraid

been looking into hidden/covert virus systems and were talking about spyware/addware

dig out if you are happy with it

never had any problems with it, and i am also a IT Engineer

dont really use is much, prefer Malwarebytes A.M

Agree.

Work for a company with 20+ other computer engineers who also use this program. Never had any problems at all - do prefer Malware Bytes though as I find its a more resourceful program, however I usually run both and they both find different stuff.

Edited by thesaint sfc

is true...am currently on a defence intel information systems course and took this programme apart earlier (with others) and it is a no-no im afraid

been looking into hidden/covert virus systems and were talking about spyware/addware

dig out if you are happy with it

http://www.pchell.com/reviews/superantispyware.shtml

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superantispyware

http://www.online-tech-tips.com/software-reviews/superantispyware-free-antispyware-software/

http://www.howtogeek.com/reviews/superantispyware-free/

http://www.2-spyware.com/review-superantispyware.html

http://www.tech-linkblog.com/superantispyware-my-review/

Sorry, either your course was incorrect, or you have confused Superantispyware with one of the nasty VistaAntiVirus2009 things

• 2 months later...

AGV looks good, my subscription to Symantec (360) was £64:00 ! sod that.

Being a bit of a computer numpty have always been wary of free virusware etc but downloaded AGV was a doddle.

If any of you brainy buggers can suggest I do anything else ( not rude ! ) helpful it would be much appreciated.

ATB John

COYR

• 1 month later...
Malware Bytes Anti-Malware gets a lot of good reviews and is able to detect and deal with a number of threats the others miss

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Just used this programme after getting a zbot, Spybot removed it .AVG didnt find it, but for a check i thought i would try this, it found 40 other threats. Which it has removed. Cheers mynameishulk for the recomendation.

Sevvy

• 4 months later...

Hi,

I have this pop up called NTSHUTDOWN and it shuts my PC down after a 1 minute. I think it's a worm and I've tried worm blaster but it doesn't work.

Is there anything I can use? I've also used Malwarebyes bytes and it doesn't work either.

Dear saint_stevo,

Thank you for your swift reply. Unfortunately, I have Norton Corporate Edition, which isn't connected to McAfee I assume?

I've tried some of the methods listed in the thread, notably the_saintfc's, but nothing's worked.

Are there any other routes I can take in getting rid of this terrible strain on my PC? I knew about the method in stopping it shutting down the PC, but even that messes it up.

Any help you could offer me would be immensely appreciated.

Kind regards,

Rory.