Roberto Martinez rejects Aston Villa

Colinjb

He has turned down the chance to talk to Aston Villa and will 'honour his commitment to Wigan' instead.

So, an honourable man doing what he feels is right or simply a slap in the face for Aston Villa?

If they cannot poach someone from Wigan what will they do now!?

Think he'll be offered a better opportunity within the next 2 years. Spurs when Harry takes over at England??
Villa is a great job, Spurs fans expect a lot more and are less patient. Whoever takes over from HR will find it a tough task as he will leave his normal high wagebill and the owners fighting to try and balance the books again

I don't always agree with what Dave Whelan says, but to be fair to him it's clear that he's got a great relationship with Roberto Martinez and he made that clear in the press.

I think the way he has conducted himself is an example to any chairman across the country. He's said that he won't stand in his way in future because he knows that it is likely he will manage at a higher level, which I think is a very dignified statement.

Is it a lack of ambition? I don't think so personally. He is only 37 or 38 and has a long, long time ahead of him to manage, plus he is working somewhere where he appears to be happy as well.

Villa is a great job, Spurs fans expect a lot more and are less patient. Whoever takes over from HR will find it a tough task as he will leave his normal high wagebill and the owners fighting to try and balance the books again

villa would be a kiss of death...keep selling their best players getting weaker every season it seems....yet the expectation is still top 6 at least...

he would not last the season with the fans

villa would be a kiss of death...keep selling their best players getting weaker every season it seems....yet the expectation is still top 6 at least...

he would not last the season with the fans

fair comment but Wigan will sell their better players and no doubt be in a relegation scrap next season...again

Think he'll be offered a better opportunity within the next 2 years. Spurs when Harry takes over at England??

Balls to that, just give Martinez the England job. Redknapp wouldn't be able to cope without being able to sign players.

Fair play to him for staying, I like him and was glad Wigan stayed up for that reason only.

villa would be a kiss of death...keep selling their best players getting weaker every season it seems

fair comment but Wigan will sell their better players and no doubt be in a relegation scrap next season...again

That sounds somehow familiar....

Fair point but Wigan's expectations lie in staying in the premiership whereas Villa's is to seriously challenge the top 4, and what's easier to achieve? Martinez will continue to enhance his reputation at Wigan but the Villa job was a hiding to nothing.

Fair point but Wigan's expectations lie in staying in the premiership whereas Villa's is to seriously challenge the top 4, and what's easier to achieve? Martinez will continue to enhance his reputation at Wigan but the Villa job was a hiding to nothing.

And I think Villa fans' expectations are a lot higher than Villa owner's expectations, and that kind of disparity makes for trouble for a manager.