Has anyone been to a bullfight?

dune

No would love to go to one though, will make up my mind about my thoughts on it as a sport/ spectical after I've seen it. Ate carpachio of "Torro" (sp) in Costa Brava 2 years ago, lovely!

I'm the same - i'd like to make my own mind up on it after witnessing the whole festival and what it means to the people. I don't think it's right to be judgemental of other peoples cultures without experiencing them first hand.

I'm the same - i'd like to make my own mind up on it after witnessing the whole festival and what it means to the people. I don't think it's right to be judgemental of other peoples cultures without experiencing them first hand.

Even though it involves teasing the animal and then subjecting it to a slow and painful death?

Even though it involves teasing the animal and then subjecting it to a slow and painful death?

These bulls have a far better and longer life prior to the festival than the beasts that they put in your big macs.

Don't bite, people.

Thanks. That is the last thing we need. I'm not at all interested in a debate on the sport.

Ideally i'd love to see a fight at Ronda (not far from San Pedro de Alcantara where i'll be staying) which is the home of modern bullfighting and a fantastic historical arena. I'd imagine that there is far more to the festival than just the main event and this is really what i'd like to experience.

Looking at dates I don't think it'll be possible at ronda so i'm now drawn to seville and staying over for a night.

It's on my 'to do list' for this summer.

Is it a good show?

I thought you hated animal cruelty? Another hypocritical Tory I suppose and before you come out with the old "it's culture" ********, it's barbaric and should be stopped, end of. It's in the same league as bear baiting, dog and cock fights.

I thought you hated animal cruelty? Another hypocritical Tory I suppose and before you come out with the old "it's culture" ********, it's barbaric and should be stopped, end of. It's in the same league as bear baiting, dog and cock fights.

I'd have thought you'd have been all for an undesrtanding and tolerance of the customs and cultures of other countries.

In the 70's on a lads holiday to Spain, 1976, £50 for 2 weeks. A trip to a Bull fight, a BBQ and pi** up on a remote beach were standard options.

all i can remember was it was hot,the seats were hard and after the first fight it was boring because the result is not in doubt

I went to one about 20 years ago.

it certainly gives you a little extra insight into spanish culture, not least its hierarchies, and the general distaste for the Guardia Civil.

For all that it gives you an insight, I can't say I would want to go again, or that it makes me think that bloodsports are a good idea.

its also a useful addition to reading Hemingway novels......

My parents took me to one as a child while we were on holiday in Spain. I only have a vague recollection of it as I would have been very young at the time.

I personally believe that to call it a bullfight is a bit of a misnomer really. It suggests that the bull actually has a remote chance of winning. Execution would be a more fitting description.

Banned in the Canary Islands and about to be banned in Cataluna. Bull fighting is hardly ever performed in the northern part of Spain these days - I think they regard it with distaste. It's very common down in Andalucia. Pewrsonally speaking, I think I'd rather go to one of the recortes (bull-leaping) which is non-violent (for the bull at least) and involves the guy leaping and dodging the bull charges.

Been watching some of the fights on youtube. You've got to admire the history of the event and the art of the matador. The ones where the matador is on a horse look really good.

The guys on horseback are not matadors, they are called picadors and are there purely to soften up the bull for the matador.

I admire the horese riding skills of the picadors, but the rest of it is pretty abhorrent.

• 7 months later...

And i have it on VHS tape if anyone don't believe me. I once fought a bull.

It was between me and some lanky German bloke with a silly moustache. He what himself but I stood my ground. The paying crowd's applause was immense. I was truly moved and for one moment I was night I was the toast of the town.