Small Claims Court

ecuk268

Anyone ever used it?

I'm in dispute with a company over a service that they cocked up. They're refusing to refund me and even contradicting their own literature.

The amount of money in dispute is relatively small, it's more a point of principle than the money.

Is it easy and, in the unlikely event that I lose, how much could it cost?

Anyone ever used it?

I'm in dispute with a company over a service that they cocked up. They're refusing to refund me and even contradicting their own literature.

The amount of money in dispute is relatively small, it's more a point of principle than the money.

my brother has used it twice and it did not cost alot of money and he won both cases, has the people he took to court backed down a day before the cases .

Edited by solentstars

Anyone ever used it?

Look, the gimp mask and rubber pants were exactly as advertised on the card in the phone box, alright? ;)

Seriously though, it's easy and inexpensive. I've tried it once, but they coughed up as soon as i notified them of the intention. Sometimes you find that the threat is enough. Good luck.

If you are black, gay or a muslim... you will win... its a simple as that.

Also, dont get greedy. If you ask for more than £6k the company accused will employ a legal team to squash you. Any less than that amount and it is not worth a companies time and cost. Ask for a couple of grand and you will likely see the company give in and pay out before it goes to court - as the costs of hauling directors to court, taking staff out the business, and having to prepare a defence will cost them a lot more than that...

Small Claims Courts are a cracking way to **** over small companies!

(Also good for pathetic and meaningless disputes)

But what if he's black and gay, but the firm he's taking to court is run by a gay Muslim? Who would outscore whom in those circumstances? Perhaps he could convert, so he'd then tick all three boxes - I think that would probably do the trick. But do they check these things before the case starts - after all, you wouldn't want to lose and then realise you'd forgotten to mention your religion or sexuality (I'm assuming they'll notice skin colour).

It does all sound a bit complicated to me, I must say.

Also, dont get greedy. If you ask for more than £6k the company accused will employ a legal team to squash you. Any less than that amount and it is not worth a companies time and cost. Ask for a couple of grand and you will likely see the company give in and pay out before it goes to court - as the costs of hauling directors to court, taking staff out the business, and having to prepare a defence will cost them a lot more than that...

Small Claims Courts are a cracking way to **** over small companies!

(Also good for pathetic and meaningless disputes)

Most of the time it's the companies taking individuals to court.

But what if he's black and gay, but the firm he's taking to court is run by a gay Muslim? Who would outscore whom in those circumstances? Perhaps he could convert, so he'd then tick all three boxes - I think that would probably do the trick. But do they check these things before the case starts - after all, you wouldn't want to lose and then realise you'd forgotten to mention your religion or sexuality (I'm assuming they'll notice skin colour).

It does all sound a bit complicated to me, I must say.

Dont be ridiculous shirley. I dont hold punches and the above is real advice.

To clarify further, if the claiment is black, gay or a muslim, and the defendent is a UK SME = They will lose! (The SME that is) - weve even run books on the outcome before!

Time and time again... sorry if it dosent sit too well with you but that is the system and that is what happens.

I dont really care, but it certainly would make me very uneasy if I were a small business owner, or an employer.

To clarify further, if the claiment is black, gay or a muslim, and the defendent is a UK SME = They will lose! (The SME that is) - weve even run books on the outcome before!

Time and time again... sorry if it dosent sit too well with you but that is the system and that is what happens.

I dont really care, but it certainly would make me very uneasy if I were a small business owner, or an employer.

Evidence?

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome

I used this service, it's cheap,Govt run and pretty good, they'll advise as best they can on the phone.

I didn't need to attend court because the other party didn't respond to any correspondance from the court. The case found in my favour and it went to Bailiffs. I ended up with nothing because the Company went bang and were a Ltd Company, so you have to weigh up whether it's worth it. I ended up about £300 out of pocket, but the cowboys ended up closed down and unable to rip others off.

The advice MCOL gave me over the phone was that a Company that intends to keep trading will always settle, whereas if the business is on it's last legs you may not get anything. However, they (MCOL) will follow it through right till the end.

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

Who exactly are 'we' in this instance? And what other things did you consider? Strength of claim perhaps? Any other thing that might legitimately affect the outcome? Have you run the same rigorous research on the chances of a white, straight, Christian getting the outcome they require? Are claimants or defendants asked their religion or sexuality? If not, then how do you know what either of those things is?

Oh, and what's a UK SME? I can get the UK bit, but I've never come across the SME before.

Who exactly are 'we' in this instance? And what other things did you consider? Strength of claim perhaps? Any other thing that might legitimately affect the outcome? Have you run the same rigorous research on the chances of a white, straight, Christian getting the outcome they require? Are claimants or defendants asked their religion or sexuality? If not, then how do you know what either of those things is?

Oh, and what's a UK SME? I can get the UK bit, but I've never come across the SME before.

I didn't get that either, but didn't spend any more time worrying about it because it was part of what was obviously (to me at least) a gormlessly racist post.

What an absolute load of scheisse.

I threatened to take the 'Mayflower' theatre to small claims for canceling 'We Will Rock You' on the night we went!

It took about a week of correspondence, but they eventually paid up in full.

Looks like I'll be making the same threats to the removals company that moved us last week and managed to make a hole in the brand new lino we'd had put into the kitchen! More than happy to go to court and defend my point of view, especially if the company concerned is being run by muppets!

What a crock of ****!

I threatened to take the 'Mayflower' theatre to small claims for canceling 'We Will Rock You' on the night we went!

It took about a week of correspondence, but they eventually paid up in full.

Looks like I'll be making the same threats to the removals company that moved us last week and managed to make a hole in the brand new lino we'd had put into the kitchen! More than happy to go to court and defend my point of view, especially if the company concerned is being run by muppets!

Done.

Since the removals company are refusing to respond to any contact I've made to them regarding the damage they caused, I've lodged a complaint for appx £300 with the online service.

Have to be honest, it's a really simple procedure to follow, let's hope it gets the right result :D

Done.

Since the removals company are refusing to respond to any contact I've made to them regarding the damage they caused, I've lodged a complaint for appx £300 with the online service.

Have to be honest, it's a really simple procedure to follow, let's hope it gets the right result :D

Good for you and I expect you will win the case

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Done.

I used that service, very good, very easy to use. Went to court, won my case, guy never paid up, filed for ballifs, got that approved. the baillifs failed to make contact within 30 days I was told I would have to file again, which is fine, if you want to spend £100 each time