Jonno Quick at Centre Back?

Turkish

Seen a couple of threads about moving players to other positions. THere was one about Harding playing in central midfield a while back which was particularly thought provoking and it struck me today Jonno Quick could make a great centre back. He is incredibly strong according to Nige, which is an important attribute for any defender and although he is not the tallest of strongest in the air, his Jonno Quick lightening pace would enable him to position himself and get tackles in, whipping in before the other teams striker can get a sniff of the ball.

He'd be brillaint at mopping up behind Fonte and Harding as he could sprint across and clear the ball when teams play it in behind or up the channels. WIth his pace we'd also never get caught out on the counter attack.

I think with his pace, we could potentially have the new Des Walker on our hands. You may laugh but Dion Dubiln made a great centre back, i dont see why Jonno Quick couldn't.

Edited by Turkish

Just think for one minute how good it would be to have a player as quick as Jonno at the back. Every ball into the channel he'd be able to run across and clear, every time we were going forward he could hang back on the half way line and and sprint across and get the ball or make a quick and decisive tackle to snuff out the move. He'd be an ideal centre back, IMO.

That's not a bad idea actually. When away from home and under pressure, we will have to resort to the long ball at some point. He could even chase his own clearences down. They wouldn't be able to track his runs.

He'd probably get there before the ball though, being that quick. He'd have to learn to time his runs better, but i am sure Nige can teach him.

Dion Dublin was good. Marcus Gayle, played as striker and then moved to centre half, played their for Watford against us in the 2003 FA Cup semi.

I think Jonno Quick is the man to fill the slot.

As oppose to one of the 3 ready made centre backs we already have to play alongside Fonte?

This thread, in many ways, is a waste of time.

Only reason i'm posting on it is due to boredom at work

Not really. I'm just putting it out there. It could work could it not. ANYTHING is possible. Dont forget Alan Shearer started out as a goalkeeper and Benali was a striker.

I think you are trying to have a larf. Admittedly some centre forwards make good centre back in their later years because they have spent so many years in close proximity. I really hope Jonno does well here (rooting for the underdog) but at the moment he cannot pass, cannot tackle and gets caught in possession far too often. On the rare occassion he gets away from his man and still has the ball, there is a good chance he will get the ball in the back of the net. Clinical finisher and he is fast. Too early to say whether he has a footballing brain to match.

Dion Dublin was good. Marcus Gayle, played as striker and then moved to centre half, played their for Watford against us in the 2003 FA Cup semi.

Have had a chat with Nigel to put your idea forward.

I think you are trying to have a larf. Admittedly some centre forwards make good centre back in their later years because they have spent so many years in close proximity. I really hope Jonno does well here (rooting for the underdog) but at the moment he cannot pass, cannot tackle and gets caught in possession far too often. On the rare occassion he gets away from his man and still has the ball, there is a good chance he will get the ball in the back of the net. Clinical finisher and he is fast. Too early to say whether he has a footballing brain to match.

THe stats say he has a goal for every start, that is a fantastic record.

I think he would make the ideal man sweeping up behind Fonte and co at the back. You dont need a football brain to play there, just use that lightening pace to sprint in behind everytime a ball over the top is played and clear it.

THe stats say he has a goal for every start, that is a fantastic record.

I think he would make the ideal man sweeping up behind Fonte and co at the back. You dont need a football brain to play there, just use that lightening pace to sprint in behind everytime a ball over the top is played and clear it.

Come off it mate, thats exactly where you do need one. Plus, Nigel got him on the bus as a pacey winger, imagine his reaction if he was suddenly told "ok, you cant hack it as a forward so we're going to try you out as a centreback...."....real confidence-booster, that...

I'm a fan of Forte btw, and to those critics above, just think back to last seasons mk plastics game when at 2-0 down we looked like throwing the kitchen sink at them and still not scoring. Until Jonno Quick came on and promptly whacked in two, that is.

Come off it mate, thats exactly where you do need one. Plus, Nigel got him on the bus as a pacey winger, imagine his reaction if he was suddenly told "ok, you cant hack it as a forward so we're going to try you out as a centreback...."....real confidence-booster, that...

I'm a fan of Forte btw, and to those critics above, just think back to last seasons mk plastics game when at 2-0 down we looked like throwing the kitchen sink at them and still not scoring. Until Jonno Quick came on and promptly whacked in two, that is.

Or alternatively it might act as a massive spur to him that Adkins rates him so highly he thinks he has the abilty and intellengence to play in such an important postion.

I am a fan of Jonno QUick as well, his goal scoring record is phenominal. He is lightening quick, stong and talented. That is why i think he can play there.

Or alternatively it might act as a massive spur to him that Adkins rates him so highly he thinks he has the abilty and intellengence to play in such an important postion.

I am a fan of Jonno QUick as well, his goal scoring record is phenominal. He is lightening quick, stong and talented. That is why i think he can play there.

I'm looking forward to that pint. I bet youre him. ;)

Turkish this thread has lost you the last shreds of credibility you had, and btw the word you want is 'lightning', not 'lightening'. Unless you were referring to some new sort of diet?

Turkish this thread has lost you the last shreds of credibility you had, and btw the word you want is 'lightning', not 'lightening'. Unless you were referring to some new sort of diet?

It has always been my ambtion to be held in high esteem on an anonymous internet forum. Another dream dies. Sigh......

Its an opinion. Kevin Phillips was a defender as I recall it, a few players have switched positions successfully. And turks spelling has never been his strong suit, you know what he meant.

To be fair to turkish tho although it would be unlikely that Jonno would /could be used in defence it has been proven time and again that by moving positions some players either improve on or prolong their careers. I managed a team at the old Hampshire league level and converted a reserve team centre forward into one of the best right backs in the top division ... we won the league with him playing right back... a position he initially never thought in a million years that he could play successfully .

To be fair to turkish tho although it would be unlikely that Jonno would /could be used in defence it has been proven time and again that by moving positions some players either improve on or prolong their careers. I managed a team at the old Hampshire league level and converted a reserve team centre forward into one of the best right backs in the top division ... we won the league with him playing right back... a position he initially never thought in a million years that he could play successfully .

Exactly, anything is possible. DIdn't they say man would never walk on the moon? Plenty of super market cashiers successfully become shelf stackers, i dont see why that cant carry over to soccerball.

Thread is one of turkish's wind ups but there are plenty of players who move postion and it works out. Lambert played as a CM in his early days.

It sounds as though you are his agent, Turkish!

It's certainly an interesting idea - not one many would come up with I don't think - however, aside from his pace and perhaps a bit of strength, I don't see many attributes which would make him a top defender? You seem to be indicating that super pace is all he really needs - have you ever seen him tackle or man-mark? Would he have the anticipation, concentration and bravery required of a good defender? He certainly isn't very tall so would have to have quite a leap on him to win headers against tall strikers. I can't see it myself, and I doubt we will ever get the chance to find out!

Seen a couple of threads about moving players to other positions. THere was one about Harding playing in central midfield a while back which was particularly thought provoking and it struck me today Jonno Quick could make a great centre back. He is incredibly strong according to Nige, which is an important attribute for any defender and although he is not the tallest of strongest in the air, his Jonno Quick lightening pace would enable him to position himself and get tackles in, whipping in before the other teams striker can get a sniff of the ball.

He'd be brillaint at mopping up behind Fonte and Harding as he could sprint across and clear the ball when teams play it in behind or up the channels. WIth his pace we'd also never get caught out on the counter attack.

I think with his pace, we could potentially have the new Des Walker on our hands. You may laugh but Dion Dubiln made a great centre back, i dont see why Jonno Quick couldn't.

Did you take Burley through his Coaching Certs by any chance?