Reading v Saints. USA TV coverage

Just a heads-up here.

Reading v Saints is on Fox Soccer Plus at 2pm ET on Sat Oct 22. So it isn't live.

Only a couple of hours delay so shouldn't be too hard to avoid the score.

It's also being shown again at midnight ET.

I just hope they have the crowd sound turned on. Unlike the Spurs v Arsenal game on at the moment. It's bad enough having Peter Drury as commentator but when you can't hear the crowd it sucks double badly.

Cheers Rut.

I hope that one of the following two things do not happen.

1. We see a repeat of the Saints/Brum Sunday rescheduling **** up from the other week.

2. We see a repeat of Derby/Leicester where when I tuned in to FSP on Sunday, they were showing a repeat of the Man ****ty game that they had already screened live earlier in the day. Unacceptable!

Don't forget Derby v Saints is also being shown with 30 or so hours delay - 5pm Eastern Sun 16th Oct on FSP. Will almost certainly know the score already but worth a look to see how we play.

Nice one. I didn't know that. Double checked & yep - it's on FSP 5pm ET on Sun 16th Oct.

I think I may well try to avoid the score.

I may even be proper hardcore and record it. Watch the NFL as usual and then watch the Saints game. Can't be that hard to not know the score - it's not as if on 3rd and goal some commentator is gonna go 'can't believe that Saints beat Derby 8-0 yesterday - what a game'.

It seems a bit random what Championship games they show on delay. They show quite a few though. Hopefully we'll get the Blackpool & Pompey games - if not live then hopefully with a not too much of a delay.

Oops, sorry about that. I should clarify: it lists the game as live on foxsoccer.tv (what is that?) but not as a repeat at 2 pm.

Nice one - it is listed as being live on http://www.foxsoccer.tv/upcoming - it also shows that Reading v Saints is on live there (no delay). It's just the online version of Fox Soccer Channel so all above-board etc.

Trouble is this means you have to subscribe to it for $20 a month and it's one of those recurring subscriptions. I don't mind paying $15 a month for FSP but not sure about paying for online stuff. Looking at it though it appears to have all the Sat 3pm Prem games that ain't live on TV here. I'd prob pay for it then. That would mean you'd get to see Saints live every game (if of course they can get promoted.... C'MON YOU SAINTS!!!)

Anyone already subscribe to it? Is it good quality (like it is on espn3.com)?

Anyway - to see confimation of the delayed showings go to:

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/tvschedule

Choose 'Fox Soccer Plus' from the drop down and you'll see them listed.

Nice! Thanks for that, mate. I'll definitely be checking my listings each weekend. Hopefully the website matches up with my tele.

You're right - that $20 month isn't really up my alley just yet - but perhaps next year?

next year?

If things go to plan then next year will be gravy......

So...to clarify -

Derby v Saints is - 5pm Eastern Sun 16th Oct on FSP. TV

Reading v Saints is on Fox Soccer Plus at 2pm ET on Sat Oct 22. TV

That is great!

Not sure about the online Fox service. Never tried it, but at $20 extra, I'd like to avoid that.

It is $170 a year (rather than $240 if you do it month-by-month)

https://secure.foxsoccer.tv/buy

A couple of ifs...

IF Saints get promoted and IF getting this means you see every game live (either on FSC, FSP or online) then count me in next season.

You wouldn't need SaintsPlayer ($50-$60 a year) for radio commentary if you could watch the game.

Let's a do a test over the coming weeks on the promoted teams. Norwich, Swansea & QPR. See if all games are actually live.

(you do know this is tempting fate way too much but f*** it - we are top of the league at the moment so why not!)

• 2 weeks later...

Well I managed to avoid the Derby v Saints score for the 31 hours. Watched it yesterday at 5pm ET.

The only mild hassle was not being able to watch Arse/Sland & Newc/Spurs games with the sound on ("Pardew came from Southampton who of course were involved in that crazy 9-4 victory at Derby yesterday in the Championship").

Next weeks 2 hour delay will be bliss.

If we are on a 30 hour delay again I'll do the same. It is definitely worth it.

Yeah thanks to you I was able to pull it off and watch the game too. Good times! Although frustrating that we couldn't put one more in the net.

Yeah was a great game (bar not getting 3 points). It shows how far Saints have come in recent times though. We were away to the 3rd placed team, in front of a full-house and we are a bit gutted to only get a draw. I know I was a bit gutted anyway - we def looked the better team.

It was BigShadow who 1st flagged up the game as being on a next day delay. I think we've got the suss of it now though (if it's live online on foxsoccer.tv then it's on delay on FSP - at some point over the weekend).

Roll on next weekend. Avoiding the score for a couple of hours will definitely be worth it. Way better than radio commentary or hoping that some free stream holds up.

Promotion party pss-up in Chicago anyone?

From my perspective, watching on a dodgy internet feed at Nevada-Smiths, we were by far the better team for large portions of the game, passing the ball around nicely but lacking the creativity of Lallana. That's been a concern of mine for a while that if Lallana were to be bought from us or be injured long-term we would struggle to replace his input. Derby/Clough's plan looked to break up our passing game by hurrying us into mistakes or disrupt the tempo of passing we've established this season when winning comfortably. It worked, and they looked confident and well able to counter, it made for an entertaining game. Derby made two goal line clearances and their keeper also played well, as did Kelvin so all in all a good result but still felt like two points dropped. West Ham will be difficult tomorrow and Reading will be tough but when you look at the fixture list its hard to not look at every game as a challenge compared to last season.

I'll be at Nevada Smiths on Saturday again with a couple of friends hopefully - a couple of the other regular Saints fans in the area are out of town for the game which is a shame. Chicago celebration party might be cool - but I quite fancy heading back for the promotion party like I did last year.

I'll be at Nevada Smiths on Saturday again with a couple of friends hopefully - a couple of the other regular Saints fans in the area are out of town for the game which is a shame.

A friend of mine and I will be at Nevada Smiths for the dodgy internet stream this week. I emailed a list of people, too, so maybe I'll bring a few more, but there should be at least the two of us. See you then!

I enjoyed last Sunday. I had Tivo'd it - and the surrounding broadcasts either side - just in case they decided last minute to **** with the schedule (like they did the week before!) As soon as Pride Park honed into view on the TV, I relaxed.... :)

Out of town this weekend, but it's set to record.

FWIW. Chicago sounds a nice venue for a party if things go to plan.

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/tvschedule

6pm ET Sunday 30 Oct on FSP. Saints v Mboro. A 32 hour delay but yet another full game (it's not showing as being live online on foxsoccer.tv at the moment).

ChicagoSaint - I'm up in Chicago that weekend but should be back by 6pm Sunday. No tracking me down and shouting the score out cos I'll be avoiding it.

1st things 1st. Reading game on Sat. Gonna be a good afternoon.

Have fun in Chicago this weekend. Hope the weather improves for you cos its bloody terrible at the moment (all downhill from now till April)

Don't think we should turn this into a weather report thread. We may end up killing certain people from Vegas & Southern CA who start complaining about it getting down to 60 at night. Poor things.

Just meeting some friends over from England for a p#ss-up and to see some bands on the Sat night. Weather won't matter too much (even Chicago can't get snowed in this time of the year - can it?)

We will have a CTA travel pass. Any pubs near-ish a station you recommend for a quick visit late afternoon on the Sat? Won't have long but may have a couple of hours to kill.

Just under 5 hours til KO in our world. Come on you Saints - really give Reading a tonking.

f!%* me! It doesn't stop does it! Who needs the Prem!?

Ha. Greeaaat. I've a couple of friends I dragged out to watch on Saturday and the Derby game who both have children of less than a year old, so they were on special leave to watch the game under the premise it was a one off. Think I'll have to find a new excuse for the Boro game. Delighted we got a point on Saturday -Reading worked us out well and denied us any space to play. Even our switched wingplay was tracked and Reading moved their middle over to smother any attacks. Looking forward to seeing the backup plan Nigel has up his sleeve.

Saints v Reading. An easy score-avoid and enjoyed being able to watch it - without actually enjoying it that much (if that makes sense - you know what I mean).

Saints fans in good voice and a great equaliser though. A quick look at the table quickly gets rid of any thoughts of being too gutted.

I'm actually starting to get quietly confident about going up. There is a long way to go but it's nice to start this 'long way to go' at the front of queue. Saints ain't total world-beaters but nor are any other teams in this division.

Here's to a LC quarter final and 3 points v Mboro this week.

Looks as though Directv are about to axe the Fox channels amongst others due to their disputes with Fox. I hope they come to an agreement at the eleventh hour, but it looks bad.

If this is the case, I will be switching to another provider. Any recommendations? Must be able to provide FSP.

We currently have the digital version of Time Warner Cable. We do not have any special package that I know of (no HBO, Showtime, etc) but we have FSP.

At a previous apartment we had RCN (probably not available in Vegas, but maybe?) and we paid an extra $5 per month for the sports package. It was so totally worth it...but I don't know if you like the rest of American sports.

These TV v Provider disputes seem to happen quite often. Both blame each other but usually something is worked out.

Full list of affected channels here: http://www.ourpromisetoyou.com/faq-en/what-are-the-specific-channels-involved (a Directv propaganda site - hence all the crap afterwards about what you'll still be able to watch)

I can't believe it's an issue - surely they know that most of America gets up on a Sat & Sun morning to watch English football on FSC/FSP. How can they even think about dropping them?

See what happens. I bet even if the stations in question get dropped then they'll be back quite soon after both sides then come to 'some agreement'.

I hear you Rut, I know these disputes occur almost every time a contract has to be renegociated.

Just worried after what happened back in the UK with Virgin Media and Sky.

I don't want to drop DTV, I've been happy with them for 10 years and still waiting for them to release Tivo in HD.

Luckily the Boro game occurs a day before the expected (hopefully temporary) cut! :)

I hear you Rut, I know these disputes occur almost every time a contract has to be renegociated.

I don't want to drop DTV, I've been happy with them for 10 years and still waiting for them to release Tivo in HD.

Luckily the Boro game occurs a day before the expected (hopefully temporary) cut! :)

Surprise, surprise - they sorted it out. Hooray!

What is the difference between Tivo and a Directv DVR box then? I can DVR stuff in HD fine on Directv - and have been able to for ages.

I avoided the Mboro score. Was a great game to watch. I did have to rewind the 3rd goal a couple of times to see where it actually started from.

Another win last night. It's all looking a bit too good at the moment - what's the catch?

Surprise, surprise - they sorted it out. Hooray!

What is the difference between Tivo and a Directv DVR box then? I can DVR stuff in HD fine on Directv - and have been able to for ages.

I avoided the Mboro score. Was a great game to watch. I did have to rewind the 3rd goal a couple of times to see where it actually started from.

Another win last night. It's all looking a bit too good at the moment - what's the catch?

I was out of town and got back on Sunday evening to watch the Boro match. Absolute pleasure it was too!

Yep, haven't checked any latest news, but FSP is still there, glad it was sorted quickly. :)

TIVO is different than the Directv DVR in it's format and software. It does the same things but is much easier/nicer to use IMO. It was the original incorporated DVR before they started manufacturing their own in house service and equipment.

Only available in SD though so we were waiting for them to release the long awaited HD box. We might just get the regular HD service soon though since they are taking forever to get the new Tivo out.

I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop as well. For years when listening to games and winning I didn't change anything I was doing at that precise moment for superstitious fear of jinxing us. Its the conditioning we've experienced as Saints fans for years and now its hard to believe this fantastic situation. We've a decent squad who appear capable of achieving at least a playoff position at this point. Will be interesting to see what happens in the January window if we're still in this position. Do we start thinking about and preparing for life in the Premier League or try and bring in a few characters that won't unbalance the personalities in the squad and help us maintain the promotion prospect. I've never been in this position as a fan of any team/club/organization and its mind boggling. I've a wedding to plan for next year but its secondary to Saints. My football team will be with me forever, god forbid we ever find ourselves in the position Mr. Liebherr saved us from.

I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop as well. For years when listening to games and winning I didn't change anything I was doing at that precise moment for superstitious fear of jinxing us. Its the conditioning we've experienced as Saints fans for years and now its hard to believe this fantastic situation. We've a decent squad who appear capable of achieving at least a playoff position at this point. Will be interesting to see what happens in the January window if we're still in this position. Do we start thinking about and preparing for life in the Premier League or try and bring in a few characters that won't unbalance the personalities in the squad and help us maintain the promotion prospect. I've never been in this position as a fan of any team/club/organization and its mind boggling. I've a wedding to plan for next year but its secondary to Saints. My football team will be with me forever, god forbid we ever find ourselves in the position Mr. Liebherr saved us from.

Nice post. I think that the purse strings will re-open in January when NC realises there could be another promotion in the offing and to prepare for the summer of strengthening, early. The players will come in January as they see the potential for promotion, only question is, as you say, who do we attempt to bring in without disrupting the harmony?

If all things are going well in January, maybe only a striker to bolster the attack and then if we get promoted, worry about building with a couple of choice players in the summer.

It's looking good and Nige and the crew will know what to do for the best. I'm still in disbelief that we're 5 points clear at this stage. :)

TIVO is different than the Directv DVR in it's format and software. It does the same things but is much easier/nicer to use IMO. It was the original incorporated DVR before they started manufacturing their own in house service and equipment

ok - always thought that Tivo was just DVR. Guess it is in a way. I've not ever had any probs with the standard Directv DVR - it seems to work fine. You can record stuff online from their website if you want. All pretty handy & simple.

Can't see any more SFC games showing up on TV at the moment. Hopefully we'll get some before March. After that they won't bother cos we'll already have the title in the bag so there will be no interest in our games at all.

AFC Totton have made the FA Cup Rd 1 for the 1st time ever. 1st & 2nd round games are on TV here but they drew Bradford Park Avenue so no chance of that getting shown. It is well winnable though so they could get a bigger name in Rd 2. Seeing Totton on TV in the USA would be freaky. See what happens...

Ha! Yeah, that's pretty incredible. Ninth tier of English football appearing on a TV station in the US. On a now unrelated note, I thought Jo Tessem was playing for AFC Totton having left Eastleigh but it turns out it was Totton College. A friend had taken pictures of Tessem playing against my old team Alton Town. Its another good excuse to edumacate the yanks on the joys of tiered sport. After eleven years I still haven't become accustomed to supporting a team that has lost more than half their games and suddenly having nothing to play for.

Tessem plays for Totton & Ealing (formerly B.A.T or Bramtoco to go further back). They play in the Wessex League, which is 2 levels down from AFC Totton. However, they have moved to the same new complex and have their pitch behind AFC's new one. Both clubs sold their old grounds to Linden Homes who have had the new grounds built. They opened last January.

Jo coaches Totton College in the midweek colleges league.

Totton are actually in Division 7 nowadays:

1 - Prem

2 - Champ

3 - L1

4 - L2

5 - Conf

6 - Conf South

7 - Southern Prem (Totton are currently 2nd - point behind leaders with a game in a hand - http://www.southern-football-league.co.uk/league-tables/premier.asp)

I remember playing in the goalmouths over at Testwood Park as kids. We often had to leg-it when the groundsman turned up. Amazing to see how they have progressed in recent years.

As for the FA Cup TV coverage in the USA. On FSC & FSP there are 6 live games and 2 full delayed ones. Pretty impressive really - I'll def try and watch some of them.

Cambridge v Wrexham (live)

Alfreton v Carlisle (live)

Newport County - Shrewsbury (live)

Swindon v Huddersfield (live)

Morecambe v Sheff Wed (live)

Halifax v Charlton (live)

Fleetwood v Wycombe (delayed)

East Thurruck v Macclesfield (delayed)

Here's to Totton getting to Rd 2 and getting a TV friendly draw. Looks like they'd have a good chance of being shown over here.