FM12 Demo Out Now

Matthew Le God

First things first, where can I download the FM 2012 Demo?

The demo this year is only available to download and play via the Steam platform. If you don’t already have Steam, you can download and install it from here: http://store.steampowered.com/about/?snr=1_4_4__11

If you already have Steam, the demo can be found here: http://store.steampowered.com/app/901788

How do I install the FM 2012 Demo?

- Click the green ‘Install Demo’ button for the Football Manager 2012 Demo

- You should now be informed of the game size and estimated download time, make sure you have enough space on your hard-drive to install the game

- Click the ‘Next’ button

- Choose whether you want a start menu shortcut and/or a create desktop shortcut, then click ‘Next’

- The demo should now begin downloading; you can track the process of the download by looking at the blue process bar at the bottom of Steam

- Click ‘Finish’

- If you click in the ‘Library’ section, the demo should be highlighted in yellow showing you how much of the download has been completed and the current download speed

- When the game finishes downloading there will be a pop-up in the bottom right hand corner of Steam telling you it’s completed

- Go to your Library, right click on the Football Manager 2012 Demo and click ‘Play Game’

- The game will perform the first time set-up and when complete will launch the game

I’ve gone to start up my game via the Football Manager 2012 Start Screen, but ‘Start New Game’ is greyed out – why is this?

Included in the demo are the Quick Starts only, so to start the game click the Quick Start and choose the league which you wish to play. Bear in mind the available leagues will depend on what region demo you have downloaded.

What are the minimum specs for running the Football Manager 2012 demo on my system?

PC

OS - Windows XP/Vista/Windows7

Processor - XP - 1.4ghz or faster Vista/W7 - 2.0hgz or faster

Memory - XP-512MB Ram, Vista/W7 - 1GB Ram

Video Card - 128MB minimum.

Supported Chipsets – Nvidia FX5900 Ultra or greater; ATI Radeon 9800 or greater; Intel 82915G/82910GL or greater

Earlier cards may only display 2D Match Viewer Mode and are not supported. Laptop versions of these chipsets may work but are not supported.

Mac

OS – OS X 10.5.8/10.6.x or higher

Processor – Intel Processor

Video Card – 128MB Nvidia GeForce 7300 GT or greater, ATI Radeon X1600 or greater

Please note, if you system doesn't meet the requirements, the game may work, but we/SEGA do not offer support on these machines. We suggest people who aren't certain if it'll work do indeed try the demo first before buying the game.

What leagues can I run via the Demo?

In the demo you can only run 'quick start' games, which only run one league and a small database.

The demos include the following:

Australia, Belgium, Denmark, England, France, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Scotland, Spain and Sweden.

Will I be able to continue my save game once I buy the full version of Football Manager 2012?

Yes, all save games will be compatible with the full version of the game.

How long does the FM 2012 Demo last?

As always with our demos there is no 'real life' time limit on the demo, however in-game the end date is dependent on the league you're running - it'll end roughly six months after the start date.

How do I uninstall the FM 2012 Demo?

Via Steam if you ‘right-click’ on the Football Manager 2012 Demo, there will be an option to ‘Delete Local Content’. This will remove the Demo from your system. All save games will not be deleted and will be continued to be stored in the default Sports Interactive folder (found either in ‘My Documents’ on a PC or ‘Documents’ on a Mac).

I really want to try out the Editor, where is it?

Unfortunately the editor is not included with the demo; you'll have to wait until the full game! Sorry!

Edited by Matthew Le God

It is a different topic and would have been lost in the other one. A chance to discuss the demo, rather than the announcement of the full game.

I was kidding mate :)

Maybe things like this should be in the same threads though. I mean you don't see fifa demo threads, modern warfare demo threads etc and they are far more popular games. Would clutter the forum if we did that. Best to keep them all together no?

I mean what is next Football manager update thread? Surely it is all the samething? Those of us who love Footie manager would of known there would of been a demo released from reading the other thread. I don't think a new one really makes much difference. That is of course just my own opinion. Maybe others disagree.

Anyhow at 60% downloaded now woot!

It will still work on some cards below that, just won't be officially supported.

FM10 Runs bad enough on my rather high spec'ed MBP until they can come up with a way of making FM not max my CPU out on a regular basis then I think i'll sit this one out.

Don't like it at all! Too clunky and rigid.

Also Saints are chronically under-rated, Rickie Lambert £550k ? Lallana £1m ?

And we play in all white according to the tactics board.

Awful.

At least the budget has been increased.

I reckon our players will be higher rated after the first or second patch.

Also Saints are chronically under-rated, Rickie Lambert £550k ? Lallana £1m ?

Those values mean very little, it will cost a lot more than that to buy them. Both of them have high CA's for Championship players.

And we play in all white according to the tactics board.

I have asked about this so it may change, but bear in mind there are generic kit styles used for every team in the game and many teams even if they have patterned fronts, have plain backs to make numbers easier to read.

Edited by Matthew Le God

I reckon our players will be higher rated after the first or second patch.

Yes, if Saints continue as they are until January you will see big improvements for that data update. They needed to prove it before I can justify to SI that they can have higher ratings. In any case many of them already have good ratings for Championship level.

Those values mean very little, it will cost a lot more than that to buy them. Both of them have high CA's for Championship players.

Either way, much too clunky, all feels a bit square and the text has got smaller (how does that help anyone?).

And if that's your defense, why are other teams players valued more highly? 19 YO John Marquis of Millwall is worth more than Lallana, Fonte and Fox, and is just £200k behind Cork.

It's stupid.

Whoever sorted our stats out needs shooting...

"If it aint broke, don't fix it."

Either way, much too clunky

What do you mean by "clunky"? Give it time and I think you will get used to it. I think it is easier to navigate than before. In any case if you still don't like the GUI there will be lots of user created skins to use available soon.

And if that's your defense, why are other teams players valued more highly? 19 YO John Marquis of Millwall is worth more than Lallana, Fonte and Fox, and is just £200k behind Cork.

His value may be higher, but he doesn't have a current ability rating anywhere near Lallana, Fox, Fonte, Cork or indeed the vast majority of the Saints 1st team squad. That value is largely meaningless and always has been in FM.

Whoever sorted our stats out needs shooting...

What stats are you unhappy about?

Edited by Matthew Le God

So far i think it is alright. Will take a bit of getting used to but that is always the way with new games.

Having £5m/£8m is a nice amount to play around with too.

Tried to buy Owen as he was listed but the bastard won't even talk to me. Think i will change his name to "Michael greedy ****er".

Good job Matt!

What do you mean by "clunky"? Give it time and I think you will get used to it. I think it is far more initiative and easier to navigate than before. In any case if you still don't like the GUI there will be lots of user created skins to use available soon.

His value may be higher, but he doesn't have a current ability rating anywhere near Lallana, Fox, Fonte, Cork or indeed the vast majority of the Saints 1st team squad. That value is largely meaningless and always has been in FM.

What stats are you unhappy about?

Lallana technique - 13?

Davis Handling - 11?

Lambert Composure - 13?

Lambert Work-Rate - 10?

Dickson - Crossing - 9?

Lallana technique - 13?

Davis Handling - 11?

Lambert Composure - 13?

Lambert Work-Rate - 10?

Dickson - Crossing - 9?

Remember this is 1-20 on a world scale.

I have to remove my rose tinted Saints glasses for this. The database needs to be balanced and can't have the many researchers working for SI/SEGA overrating all of their own players. We work to guidelines in order to achieve this, and being guidelines they still do allow for some flexibility.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Give the demo a try and see how your computer copes with it.

Playing the demo is not an indicator on how the game will run on your PC. The demo is exactly that, a demonstration, a flavour, a teaser - it's not the full game... unless you enjoy playing with one league and a small database, of course.

Remember this is 1-20 on a world scale.

I have to remove my rose tinted Saints glasses for this.

Yes, but I would say Lallana has technique better than a lot of international footballers in top divisions, it doesn't mean just because they're a league lower they're not as good...

Yes, but I would say Lallana has technique better than a lot of international footballers in top divisions, it doesn't mean just because they're a league lower they're not as good...

As I said earlier, should the club maintain current form until January you will see improvements for many Saints players.

In any case Lallana is one of the best Championship players in FM12 in terms of CA, certainly one of the best for his position, plus he has a good potetial ability rating so will improve as the game progresses through the first season.

I've also made him more two footed than he was in FM11, which takes a large weighting.

Edited by Matthew Le God

As I said earlier, should the club maintain current form until January you will see improvements for many Saints players.

In any case Lallana is one of the best Championship players in FM12 in terms of CA, certainly one of the best for his position.

I've also made him more two footed than he was in FM11, which takes a large weighting.

FWIW Lallana's First Touch and Technique is better than probably 90% of NPC players and in all reality probably a vast amount of Prem players.

In order to give him the kind of attributes some of you are talking about, I'd have to make him a 140+ CA player, and I could never justify that at the moment to SI and the other researchers would crucify me! :D

Then their formula ratings is tragically wrong... shame, really.

Really enjoying the demo. The new layout looks a lot better, fresher. The match engine is a massive improevment... it's the little touches that bring it closer. I echo the feelings on the player ratings but if we stay as we are then the game will eventually reflect it. By nature alone it will be a little behind.

I echo the feelings on the player ratings but if we stay as we are then the game will eventually reflect it. By nature alone it will be a little behind.

The game starts in July 2011, so the player ratings reflect the players in July 2011 i.e. the Championship hadn't started and Saints hadn't stormed to the top of it. That doesn't mean to say players won't improve as you play out your first season, give them games and good training and they will improve, many have good potential ratings.

The January 2012 data update will reflect the squad as it is in January, if we still sit top of the league, lots of players will be getting boosts!

Will the Southampton away kit be in the game? its just a default yellow kit in-game

I don't know what happened there. SEGA/SI require the Football League to send them the kits in order to create them for the game. Either the Football League haven't sent it or SEGA/SI have left it out by mistake. I will try and find out what happened, but it won't be changed until a data update now as the game has gone gold.

Edited by Matthew Le God

I guess because you have to start somewhere and July 2011 makes sense. If you wanted total realism, then you would have to not include any transfers etc that didn't take place before July 2011 and that would be silly.

I'll give this a download tnt. One point MLG, are values completely irrelevant? Surely they have an impact on the amount at which Chairmen will accept an offer for a player, regardless of if you want to sell them or not? (e.g. the 'too good to turn' situation. In last year's game, NC accepted £1.5m for Lallana from Wolves and there was nothing I could do about it)

MLG, how far away is commentary on the match engine..?

SI did have commentary for CM2 back in the mid 1990's. But it is unlikely to happen again anytime soon (if ever). Not really needed in a management game and extremely difficult to implement well. Even with the huge budgets EA give FIFA, the commentary still isn't great. Plus given FM has far more players and teams than FIFA, it would be a nightmare to implement.

SI did have commentary for CM2 back in the mid 1990's. But it is unlikely to happen again anytime soon (if ever). Not really needed in a management game and extremely difficult to implement well. Even with the huge budgets EA give FIFA, the commentary still isn't great. Plus given FM has far more players and teams than FIFA, it would be a nightmare to implement.

yeah, thought it would be.

I usually have the sound off anyway when playing.. imo, dont need any sound to enjoy this game

just had a quick play on the demo and it looks great.

what will saints start as in the NPC..? good chance of going up..? bit of cash to spend..?

who are the wonder kids in the game...(not just saints related)

any cheeky players that you can sign up for peanuts that turn out to be awesome etc..

Plus given FM has far more players and teams than FIFA, it would be a nightmare to implement.

Not quite true. Fifa 12 has 40+ leagues including all squads I.e first team and reserves, there is also youth teams.

FM i imagine has around the same amount of leagues. The fifa guys have said they could use every league if they wanted but there would be no point as nobody would use some of them. No point having leagues from Mongolia etc

As for the commentary i think it will never be perfect but this years one is as close as your get. Having 4 well known commentators adds to the realism.

I think it is more of a case of si can't afford to do those kind of things. If FM 11 sold around 800k then that isn't that much cash really. In terms of sales it is low. Fifa for example sold 2m in just 2 days. That gives them a lot of cash to do things they do.

Downloaded it last night, signed 5 players; Tom Heaton (GK) for £300k, Stuart Parnaby (RB) free, Liam Fontaine (CB) £725k plus add ons, Iain Hume (FW) £800k, James Beattie (ST) free and one loanee, Emmanuel Frimpong from Arsenal.

Played first game of the season at home to Ipswich and won 3-0, Lallana (1), Lambert (2). Think the match engine and new camera angles are much better.

Starting line up; Heaton, Parnaby, Fonte, Hooiveld, Fox, Cork ©, Schneiderlin, De Ridder, Lallana, Lambert, Hume. Subs; Davis, Fontaine, Hammond, Guly, Beattie.

Not quite true. Fifa 12 has 40+ leagues including all squads I.e first team and reserves, there is also youth teams.

- FM has 400,000+ staff in the database, FIFA doesn't even come remotely close to that.

- My Saints FM file for example has around 90 different people in it, FIFA's Saints file is tiny in comparison.

- FM also has many more leagues and teams than FIFA, even if they aren't playable, it is still possible to play against them. Even teams like Sholing are on FM.

- FM also creates players in future seasons all over the world and these names would need to be included.

- FM has 400,000+ staff in the database, FIFA doesn't even come remotely close to that.

- My Saints FM file for example has around 90 different people in it, FIFA's Saints file is tiny in comparison.

- FM also has many more leagues and teams than FIFA, even if they aren't playable, it is still possible to play against them. Even teams like Sholing are on FM.

- FM also creates players in future seasons all over the world and these names would need to be included.

But all those names are just names Matt. They are not 3d characters. They are not made to looklike the player. It isn't difficult to simply write in a name is it. I find it very difficult to believe a file that contains simply a text database would be higher then a file that contains not only player likness in 3d (all the way down to his boots) but also commentary and audio for the player.

My point is that saying a game has xyz amount of leagues doesn't make the game better. Saying you have 3 billion players in it doesn't make it better.

For example most of the leagues in FM will never even be used. Hong Kong, Singapore, Indonesia, China, Belarus, Slovakia, Slovenia, Serbia, etc etc. I bet very few people actually select these leagues.

Most computers can only handle maybe 5-6 leagues. I have a 4600 mghz processor and i can only play around 10 leagues before it takes days to progress.

Where as in fifa they are all selected and all playable from the start. The amount of active leagues in FM is player choice. If you chose to activate the 40 leagues that are in Fifa your pc would grind to a halt.

As i said above the fifa guys said they could add any league they want, but what would be the point? Are people really going to want to go and play in China? Go and play in Indonesia? Of course not.

They mostly stick to the main European leagues i.e England, Germany, Spain and Italy. Some might go off into places like France, Holland, Russia etc now and then but most of the time it is just the big leagues.

Having them in the database is one thing. Having them active is something totally different. Fifa/Pro Evo etc could do that if they wanted but there would be no point.

It is quality not quantity and in FM if you go for quantity your game will be very very slow.