Arkham City

St Marco

The missus picked this up for me yesterday. I'm about six hours in.

First, let me say that this game is a complete no-brainer for anyone who enjoyed the first one. No spoilage, but everything is bigger and we get to see a much wider cast from the pantheon of Batman characters. The increase in scope isn't limited to the characters either. Arkham City isn't the biggest open world you'll have romped around in, but it is far bigger than the first game and has a sense of completeness about it. In a lot of these games, the buildings just feel like empty facades. Not so in this case.

It looks bloody amazing, at least on my PS3. While it isn't rocking 1080p ( very few games actually do ) the art style is gorgeous - you'd never believe that a city drenched in perpetual darkness ( and Gotham always is, at least so far ) would look so good. Frame rate is very good for an open-world game too.

A word to anyone who is thinking of getting this game new. Download the Catwoman DLC before you start playing. Catwoman's stuff is not a separate campaign - more of a pallet-cleanser in the main Batman story. She is very fun to play though.

Finally, for anyone who hasn't played either game and is a fan of Batman ( or games in general ), go play the first one. The second one is so far, looking a lot better - but the Arkham take on Batman deserves to be explored. Like the Nolan films, it takes itself pretty seriously, but deftly handles some of the villains that I suspect a film version wouldn't touch. Their take on Penguin in Arkham City is genius.

• 2 months later...

Got a PS3 for my Birthday with Arkham City. First thing I did was rush out and buy Arkham Asylum as I wanted to experience them in order. Have just finished AA and am looking forward to playing AC soon, not just yet. Want to savour it. Did try it out to make sure it worked though and it looked fantastic. Cannot wait to actually play it properly.

Got a PS3 for my Birthday with Arkham City. First thing I did was rush out and buy Arkham Asylum as I wanted to experience them in order. Have just finished AA and am looking forward to playing AC soon, not just yet. Want to savour it. Did try it out to make sure it worked though and it looked fantastic. Cannot wait to actually play it properly.

You will not be disapointed. Ive completed it twice, done all side missions and have to do the riddler challenges now. A truely brilliant game.

Fired it up for the first time last night and tried it in 3D (proper 3D not the red/green mode) and was blown away. It completely overloaded my senses and I had to switch back to 2D after 30 mins.

Great opening to the game and I can't wait to get my teeth properly sunk into it.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...
Giving this one a hell of a bump, it's only 2+ years old...

Bought this for a few quid as it was on sale. My God it was dull. If mashing buttons is your idea of fun then it's definitely for you.

You're playing it incorrectly. The combat is not about button mashing. It's the opposite. One hit per person usually, keeping an eye out for counters. Slap them once, then move in the direction of someone else.

I know they don't go down in one hit, but they get knocked back, and you are usually pretty powerful by time you cycle back to them.

Made the same mistake myself throughout most of the first game. When I sussed the one hit thing near the end, the difference was so pronounced I immediately replayed it.

You're playing it incorrectly. The combat is not about button mashing. It's the opposite. One hit per person usually, keeping an eye out for counters. Slap them once, then move in the direction of someone else.

I know they don't go down in one hit, but they get knocked back, and you are usually pretty powerful by time you cycle back to them.

Made the same mistake myself throughout most of the first game. When I sussed the one hit thing near the end, the difference was so pronounced I immediately replayed it.

Well, I do hit one, move on to the others, but I'm not putting an awful lot of effort into it. I've certainly no desire to play it again.