Gta v

saint_bert

Not really sure where they can go with this. Anything announced thats going to set it apart from previous GTA's? Obviously better graphics... Done the story lines to death so hopefully they mix it up a bit. Will have to be convinced its a big improvement otherwise I won't be getting it. I think the novelty of going round stealing cars and killing people wore off after San Andreas for me.

GTA III was the game that heralded the arrival of the PS2. Sure, there had been other games out, but this was the one that made me sit up and really think "yup, we're in the next generation", much like Metal Gear Solid did in the PS1 era.

San Andreas is still up there with my favourite games of all time.

Played through GTA IV. Liked it, but in their quest to do a serious story, I think they lost a lot of what made GTA special.

These days (and I'm in a minority, I know), I actually prefer the Saints Row games. Not as technically competent, but they are very silly games, which is what I really loved about GTA.

I've actually got back into playing San Andreas now and it is brilliant even now. The last one was a let down for me.

Bring back the flying and the army

San Andreas is amazing.

The PC version has got a very decent modding community if you're interested in getting even more out of it.

There are a lot of "stunts" servers, where you basically fly/drive about doing whatever you like.

Even more bizarre is a mod where people just go about being citizens! The coppers are real people, as are the villains. I had a quick look and ended up getting mugged outside Los Santos airport within the first five minutes.

San Andreas is amazing.

The PC version has got a very decent modding community if you're interested in getting even more out of it.

There are a lot of "stunts" servers, where you basically fly/drive about doing whatever you like.

Even more bizarre is a mod where people just go about being citizens! The coppers are real people, as are the villains. I had a quick look and ended up getting mugged outside Los Santos airport within the first five minutes.

What made me laugh about San Andreas was that the environment was so brilliant and varied that a lot of myths got invented about UFOs and Bigfoot appearing in the game. Then the mods came along and it became reality. I think there's a mod where you start in Back o' Beyond and hunt and kill bigfoot. You only get about 50k for doing it but it's the novelty of it. San Andreas just had everything. The variation of the environment where you had mountains/deserts/cities/countryside et. worked brilliantly whereas GTA4 was just 'a city' and it got monotonous

They tried to make GTA4 more 'realistic' which I thought was the wrong direction. The whole point of GTA being to go around a city doing whatever the hell you wanted.

GTA: Portsmouth

You, playing as Dave - a disgruntled British Gas boiler engineer - roam the streets with religious vengeance, laying waste to the hordes of chavs and morons that infest the streets and crevices.

It's supposed to be halfway between Postal and Dead Rising. Looking foward to it!

Ok not sure how reliable this is but Kokatu seem to think it is Los Santos i.e San Andreas (Los Angeles).

If you think about it, it does make sense.

That said though the V comes from a 5 dollar bill which could maybe indicate Washington i.e Capital City.

Whatever they do though i just hope they return to the old school humour in the games. In a way Saints Row has taken over GTA in that regards. It is more "fun" to play Saints Row then it is GTA4. If they do go back to San Andreas i hope they make it exciting to be in. Liberty City just seemed dull.

What made me laugh about San Andreas was that the environment was so brilliant and varied that a lot of myths got invented about UFOs and Bigfoot appearing in the game. Then the mods came along and it became reality. I think there's a mod where you start in Back o' Beyond and hunt and kill bigfoot. You only get about 50k for doing it but it's the novelty of it. San Andreas just had everything. The variation of the environment where you had mountains/deserts/cities/countryside et. worked brilliantly whereas GTA4 was just 'a city' and it got monotonous

They tried to make GTA4 more 'realistic' which I thought was the wrong direction. The whole point of GTA being to go around a city doing whatever the hell you wanted.

GTA4 was just a fecking downer. Niko had his moments, but he was basically an a-hole. They went for tragedy when really, people are after the vicarious thrill of rising through the criminal underworld.

Another thing that I think they've lost from GTA III is the ingenuity you could use to complete some of the missions. I remember one mission in GTA III where you had to snipe someone from a rooftop. Despite the target's age, he was actually a nippy little fecker. My solution was to block his escape route with parked cars and take potshots at the jam. It worked.

These days, feels like it is all very scripted.

Mate who works for Rockstar has just text me to say GTA V will be set in Nottingham. Don't know if it's true or not, but he's a pretty reliable source.

Yeah, right. That's going to sell well to the international crowd.

Who needs NYC, Miami or LA when you can set your epic crime saga in the East Midlands? :)

Yeah, right. That's going to sell well to the international crowd.

Who needs NYC, Miami or LA when you can set your epic crime saga in the East Midlands? :)

Honestly, I'm not joking. And "my source" (look at me, I'm all ITK 8)) today re-affirmed it for me. Apparently, they wanted to move it away from America and try and appeal more to a European market again. However, at early stages of production they brainstormed through suggestions such as London (which they did back in the day so didn't want to do again), Paris and Rome. In the end they apparently decided on a medium sized city (Nottingham), because they wanted the game to reflect fairly high car-crime rates in a setting a lot of people might not be immediately familiar with. One of the tasks in the game supposedly involved doing something at a "soccer" game and another involves going to a rural area in Sherwood forest.

Honestly, I'm not joking. And "my source" (look at me, I'm all ITK 8)) today re-affirmed it for me. Apparently, they wanted to move it away from America and try and appeal more to a European market again. However, at early stages of production they brainstormed through suggestions such as London (which they did back in the day so didn't want to do again), Paris and Rome. In the end they apparently decided on a medium sized city (Nottingham), because they wanted the game to reflect fairly high car-crime rates in a setting a lot of people might not be immediately familiar with. One of the tasks in the game supposedly involved doing something at a "soccer" game and another involves going to a rural area in Sherwood forest.

Why would your friend have said "soccer" when the GTA games are produced at Rockstar Leeds?

I am studying games design, I know people who know people etc...and you can be sure it is not set in Nottingham. :facepalm:

Now that googlemaps exist they should try and do part of a real life city/large town and replicate it exactly and set the game within it.

It'd be handy if you were going to somewhere in the city in real life, just gotta stick on GTA to work out the best way of getting there ;)

Somebody in one of my classes over here was insisting it was going to be in Nottingham in England. I thought they were taking the ****. Is there some sort of robbing from the rich and giving to the poor theme?

I suppose if they're not doing London, they need a place with international recognition like Liverpool or Nottingham.

Gamespot have their predictions and none have Nottingham. Seeing as they have a close relationship with Rockstar you would of thought one of their people would of heard this rumour about Nottingham, but nope no mention of it.

Most seem to think it will be San Andreas or whatever they decide to call Washington.

Pretty sure there is no chance of it being Nottingham simply because it would be financial suicide. Americans who are the main audience are not so good on geography. Most of them will not even know what Nottingham is let alone where it is. Unless it is a GTA Medieval where you steal horses there is no point basing it there. There are no international landmarks. There is nothing to spoof other then Robin Hood.

My money is on Vinewood aka Hollywood ala Los Angeles (Los Santos). The question then becomes how much of San Andreas do they want to re-create. Will they make all of the cities again i.e San Fierro, Vinewood, Los Santos, Los Venturas etc. I think they will just settle on one city and will be LA. They have so much work done on it recently i.e Midnight Club and LA Noire. Add to that at the end of the story of GTA4 episodes Packie leaves on a plane and in the manual is a photo of an airport ticket to San Andreas. It would not surprise me one bit to see Packie be the main character for GTA 5. But personally i really hope they go back to an 80s or 90s theme.

Nottingham could be in there as a brief visit mission but not as a roaming city. Can't see that happening at all. The anger aimed at Rockstar from the US fans would be huge.

Was about to start a thread about this myself. Spoke to somebody at work the other day who does a lot of gaming (just to clarify I don't live in Southampton and the person I was speaking to is an Arsenal fan so I doubt very much he would have read it here) and he was saying he had heard rumours about the game being set in Nottingham. I'm not a massive gamer myself if I'm honest, but have always liked GTA which is why I thought I'd come here and see if anyone else had heard the same rumours. Would be great if it's true, because a British city would add a great new dimension to the game, without having all the cliche landmarks like Big Ben or the London Eye.

As Norway suggested, Nottingham is world reknowned (even the Americans know it) as being famous for Robin Hood, so perhaps a stealing from the rich to give to the poor suggestion is a possibility.

Gamespot have their predictions and none have Nottingham. Seeing as they have a close relationship with Rockstar you would of thought one of their people would of heard this rumour about Nottingham, but nope no mention of it.

Most seem to think it will be San Andreas or whatever they decide to call Washington.

Pretty sure there is no chance of it being Nottingham simply because it would be financial suicide. Americans who are the main audience are not so good on geography. Most of them will not even know what Nottingham is let alone where it is. Unless it is a GTA Medieval where you steal horses there is no point basing it there. There are no international landmarks. There is nothing to spoof other then Robin Hood.

My money is on Vinewood aka Hollywood ala Los Angeles (Los Santos). The question then becomes how much of San Andreas do they want to re-create. Will they make all of the cities again i.e San Fierro, Vinewood, Los Santos, Los Venturas etc. I think they will just settle on one city and will be LA. They have so much work done on it recently i.e Midnight Club and LA Noire. Add to that at the end of the story of GTA4 episodes Packie leaves on a plane and in the manual is a photo of an airport ticket to San Andreas. It would not surprise me one bit to see Packie be the main character for GTA 5. But personally i really hope they go back to an 80s or 90s theme.

Nottingham could be in there as a brief visit mission but not as a roaming city. Can't see that happening at all. The anger aimed at Rockstar from the US fans would be huge.

Just remember, the audience of GTA is not solely Americans-it has world-wide appeal. Personally, I don't know anything about San Andreas or Vice City (where even is that???), yet I still love the games.I doubt having it set in an English city would take away from the average Americans' enjoyment of it. It may even have the opposite effect, of enhancing the experience...?

Was about to start a thread about this myself. Spoke to somebody at work the other day who does a lot of gaming (just to clarify I don't live in Southampton and the person I was speaking to is an Arsenal fan so I doubt very much he would have read it here) and he was saying he had heard rumours about the game being set in Nottingham. I'm not a massive gamer myself if I'm honest, but have always liked GTA which is why I thought I'd come here and see if anyone else had heard the same rumours. Would be great if it's true, because a British city would add a great new dimension to the game, without having all the cliche landmarks like Big Ben or the London Eye.

As Norway suggested, Nottingham is world reknowned (even the Americans know it) as being famous for Robin Hood, so perhaps a stealing from the rich to give to the poor suggestion is a possibility.

Just remember, the audience of GTA is not solely Americans-it has world-wide appeal. Personally, I don't know anything about San Andreas or Vice City (where even is that???), yet I still love the games.I doubt having it set in an English city would take away from the average Americans' enjoyment of it. It may even have the opposite effect, of enhancing the experience...?

GTA is a dominant american game. To give you an example GTA4 on 360 sold 6m in US and 3m in the rest of the world. Meaning 66% of its sales were in america.

My point was why would they choose a city with no landmarks? GTA games are known for ripping off real life landmarks such as the statue of liberty, hollywood hills, US bank, Transamerica pyramid, golden gate bridge, hoover dam, vegas strip etc etc. Those are world renown landmarks.

As someone who spends a lot of time in america i can tell you straight they will have no clue about Nottingham. My partner is american. Her dad knows very little about the cities of England just as in the same way you probably only know about american cities from tv shows or movies. It is the same for them but there are no movies or tv shows in america from here. The only ones they truely know are London and Liverpool because of the UK invasion in the 60s and 70s.

If they make a game fully based in Nottingham then i would be shocked. Add to that the just pure randomness of it. They would then have to spend hundreds of millions of dollars hyping up the game to sell to everyone outside of the UK and somehow i doubt people will get excited for it in the same way they would San Andreas and GTA 4.

Vice City is Miami. The whole 80s thing. The colourful shirts, the parties, the drugs etc. All GTA games have been set in america apart from GTA London which if i remember right didn't get released outside of the UK?

There was an awesome game set in London called "The Getaway". This was like an English GTA. It was a big budget Sony game for the PS2 at the height of its popularity. Got great reviews. Totally bombed sales wise. Outside of the UK it sold just 1m copies. Sony were thinking of bringing it back for this generation and started work on it but then canned it as a financial risk.

As i said i would be shocked if they made Nottingham the main part of the game. I just can't see that happening at all. A side mission perhaps. But not the city simply because nobody knows it. I bet few of us have even been there. I have only to watch Saints games. It is like saying to you where is the city of Telsa? I will give you a clue it is in America and has nearly double the population of Nottingham.

Plus on top of that on the forum http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showforum=239 there is nothing at all about Nottingham and these guys are total nerds. If there is a shred of evidence out there linking to it you would of thought they would of found it.

If you mean Tulsa, it's in Oklahoma ;)

I did. I typed that on my phone, i guess the predictive text thought i meant that electric inventor guy! ;)

But yes it is in Oklahoma well done. I only know the place from doing route 66. They said it was the oil capital of the world.....

I did. I typed that on my phone, i guess the predictive text thought i meant that electric inventor guy! ;)

But yes it is in Oklahoma well done. I only know the place from doing route 66. They said it was the oil capital of the world.....

I do agree with you there is no way they'd set the next GTA purely in Nottingham.

The only way I see it remotely possible is if their planning a transatlantic theme and it's going to feature a British city or two as places you unlock as you progress in the game. Say have sections of 2 cities in the USA and sections of 2 cities in the UK making up the 4 zones that make up the entire map

Sounds like Ray Liotta for sure. Its the whole of San Andreas rather than just Los Santos http://ie.ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1211341p1.html

Yeah but this trailer only shows Los Santos thus far. I think with the other trailers they will then have them in individually. Doing it that way will crank up the hype meter for sure!

It is without a doubt San Andreas though because if you look at the numberplates on the cars it has it written on them!

This would of been everything i wanted GTA5 to be. The feel of Vice City with the open worldness of San Andreas! I really hope they have gone back to the old GTAs. It made for so much better missions. GTA4 was just go here shoot this guy, escape and repeat. Pick up friend, take him to teetee bar, take him home, go bowling and so on. They need to get back to the fun factor. Doing missions in SA was so varied and interesting. Like flying those little planes, doing that model level where you had to get from one side to the other.

Yeah but this trailer only shows Los Santos thus far. I think with the other trailers they will then have them in individually. Doing it that way will crank up the hype meter for sure!

It is without a doubt San Andreas though because if you look at the numberplates on the cars it has it written on them!

This would of been everything i wanted GTA5 to be. The feel of Vice City with the open worldness of San Andreas! I really hope they have gone back to the old GTAs. It made for so much better missions. GTA4 was just go here shoot this guy, escape and repeat. Pick up friend, take him to teetee bar, take him home, go bowling and so on. They need to get back to the fun factor. Doing missions in SA was so varied and interesting. Like flying those little planes, doing that model level where you had to get from one side to the other.

I just watched the first San Andreas trailer, from back in 2004. Only showed Los Santos as well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pze6mdhnBLM.

I hope they make this game fun like the original SA was too. GTA IV was good, but I honestly expected a little bit more.

Does anyone know roughly when a new trailer will be released?

This looks the absolute nuts. Honestly didn't think I'd be this excited for GTA again after the underwhelming fourth instalment. Completely agree with St Marco. Better graphics maybe, but GTAIV felt like a massive step backward for the series.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

People are suggesting this game will cut into next-gen console sales. Huge game which I'm hoping is going to knock GTA:SA off its perch. The latter is one of the best games of all time, so it'll take some doing.

People are suggesting this game will cut into next-gen console sales. Huge game which I'm hoping is going to knock GTA:SA off its perch. The latter is one of the best games of all time, so it'll take some doing.

I'm holding off on getting a PS4 simply because of this game, would have got one at launch but not bothering as i would much rather have gta