The Statue

1976_Child

http://www.tedbates.co.uk/news.html (Link no longer working)

"Ian Brennan has done a tremendous job. It is very rare I am lost for words but I saw the statue last week and it is awesome - a tremendous tribute to a great man. Fans have waited a long time for this and it is going to be fantastic. I really believe it will be the best football statue anywhere both in size and the amount of detail. Ted Bates was a remarkable servant who transformed this club and I think everyone is very excited to see the work under way and to know it will be a reality on March 16."

It's a shame the original forum thread isn't still available. I think it was 'The Farmer' who posted the image of his hand coming over the roof and holding up a floodlight stand. I literally had to get out of my seat and walk around the room, I was laughing so hard it bloody hurt sitting down

• Like 1

It's a shame the original forum thread isn't still available. I think it was 'The Farmer' who posted the image of his hand coming over the roof and holding up a floodlight stand. I literally had to get out of my seat and walk around the room, I was laughing so hard it bloody hurt sitting down

That one was insanely funny. Can't find that anywhere, the ones I've posted here I stole from a Man Utd forum thread on the subject, of all places.

A brilliant way to return to the forum Mr Farmer. :D

Cheers. Not been too much to moan about recently!!

Also just found the photo I took on the unveiling night and posted on 4es later that evening - which prompted the 'it will look better in the morning with a better quality photo' comment!!

1.jpg

Edited by The Farmer

To those at the unveiling, what was the reaction at the time? Personally Im a polite bloke and I would have given a little clap and said looks lovely. Emporers new clothes and all that. Were there mumbles and grumbles and WTF's at the time?

I wasn't actually at the unveiling but I got back from work to the luke-warm forum reports. So about 10pm I shot over to see for myself why people were returning under-whelmed, and to bring back exhibit 'A' to post!!

Disparaging comments ensued!!

Edited by The Farmer

To those at the unveiling, what was the reaction at the time? Personally Im a polite bloke and I would have given a little clap and said looks lovely. Emporers new clothes and all that. Were there mumbles and grumbles and WTF's at the time?

My mate went. She said there were mumbles and wispers, then she said "I don't like it" and a kid started crying.

Cheers. Not been too much to moan about recently!!

Also just found the photo I took on the unveiling night and posted on 4es later that evening - which prompted the 'it will look better in the morning with a better quality photo' comment!!

Ah this the the first ever photo I saw of the statue, brings back more memories. Any more beauties that you may have photoshopped on your hard drive from the original thread mate?

Ah this the the first ever photo I saw of the statue, brings back more memories. Any more beauties that you may have photoshopped on your hard drive from the original thread mate?

Found a couple in the folder - one more from the original shoot that night (The jacket cuffs ffs!!):

2.jpg

And not sure what this was referring to, perhaps a muted Lowe SMS expansion vision for the future???

stmarysvision.jpg

And, off topic, another ol' favourite from hard drive....

solongrupes.jpg

As someone has already said.....we are still enjoying the impact of that statue to this day. Whilst it was an obvious failure as a monument to the great man, it has provided one of the all time best laughs on the Saints forums and will continue to do so for many years to come.

Didn't Peter Jackson buy it to use as a market square statue in Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit? (I'll get me coat)

Found a couple in the folder - one more from the original shoot that night (The jacket cuffs ffs!!):

2.jpg

And not sure what this was referring to, perhaps a muted Lowe SMS expansion vision for the future???

stmarysvision.jpg

And, off topic, another ol' favourite from hard drive....

solongrupes.jpg

It was referring to lifelongsaints sfc über takeover of course!

I love threads on 'statue'. God it was funny at the time…. and a massive loss to civilisation when the original unveiling thread was lost on here! God that was real tears in the eyes laughter stuff. Golden thread of all time on here frankly.

But, I was so pleased that Crouch paid for a replacement to be proud of.

What ever happened to the original?

What ever happened to the original?

Whilst I'm sure it got melted down I love the idea that maybe somewhere out there somebody has it in their garden as an ornamental piece and uses it to take funny photos such as cooking on the BBQ or mowing the lawn.

http://www.iangb.com/

Some of his other work

Thanks for that link, notice he does not display the TB Statue on his website.

I raised a question on another thread about where Brennan lived and the website confirms :

Contemporary sculptor Ian G Brennan who lives near Portsmouth in Hampshire in the UK

Pure coincidence the finished product appeared as a sculpture by a special needs art class ?

I'm still laughing at it (and this thread). It's a shame they didn't auction it off - it would have made millions.

I'll give this club credit, Ali Dia, Ted Bates statue mk1, Steve Wigley - when we cock something up, we cock it up BIG stylee.

Not on bronze. He is first and foremost a renowned wood carver and modeller, so its a bit strange why he got the gig in the first place.

It really is uncanny how he worked on Ted Bates and came up exactly with Mandaric. It must have been deliberate.

I'm pretty sure that not only did he have no experience of bronze he also had no experience of humans. He was a wood carver of animals. His sole qualification for getting the job was that he was a Saints fan. That was the sole and most important requirement of doing this job. Forget experience, forget ability. As long as he stuck a red and white scarf round his neck once a fortnight then he simply must make a fantastic job of it. This just goes to show how lucky we are that we never got a fan on the board otherwise more idiotic decisions like this would have occured.

These words also raise a laugh every time i read them as well;

"It is very rare I am lost for words but I saw the statue last week and it is awesome - a tremendous tribute to a great man. [southampton] Fans have waited a long time for this and it is going to be fantastic. I really believe it will be the best football statue anywhere both in size and the amount of detail" -- Ted Bates Trust chairman Dave Ford

Edited by Turkish