Jos Hooiveld

eling-saint

I was bigging him up to the long-suffering chap unfortunate enough to sit next to me today - only for him to immediately head a defensive clearance straight to the opposition !

Not at all flashy but a more than decent defender - at this level anyway.

I don't know, he can play when he wants to. That little burst he had from defence into the box was a good laugh, almost got onto the end of it!

Guys. remember in pre-season when we missed out on Liam Fontaine ... and Kaspar Gorkss .... and then we took a loan signing who couldn't even get in the Celtic first 11??? Who like me, thought, WTF?? But I said to myself "give him a chance, let's see what he's like". He has been FANTASTIC. First name on my teamsheet now (2nd is Rickie, yes). Unless he tails off in the second half of the season, I'm saying Player of the Season. Very important signing. I'd have paid whatever it took to get him here, up to £5M. I was thinking earlier that poor Liam Ridgewell can't get in the Brum side, and maybe we should offer for him ... but he wouldn't displace Jos in my side, so would be on the bench. What a partnership we have there right now. Love it.

Hes absoloute class. Composed on the ball, reads the game brilliantly, and very strong in the air. AND left footed. Perfect partner for Fonte.

To think how underwhelmed most of us were when we first got him. What a signing by Adkins.

This.

Am i right,that we were interested in the summer but were put off by the price at the time ? sure i read this somewhere ?

You probably don't see many comments about him on here because the football know-it-alls decided to write him off on the basis of a few moronic Celtic fans opinions....

Come on crabs, I think you're a pretty good poster. I know you don't want to lower yourself to this kind of idiocy. You're better than that.

Think the reason you do not see that much written about him is that as he has been very good the internet warriors on here have not had reason to slag him off ad infinitum. Without the doubt the best defender we have better than Fonte.

Edited by mcjwills

Come on crabs, I think you're a pretty good poster. I know you don't want to lower yourself to this kind of idiocy. You're better than that.

But there is certainly an element of truth in it. I can recall several on here who were prepared to make snap judgements without having seen him kick a ball for us and I don't see many of them admitting that they had been too hasty. Probably not in their nature to eat humble pie.

But there is certainly an element of truth in it. I can recall several on here who were prepared to make snap judgements without having seen him kick a ball for us and I don't see many of them admitting that they had been too hasty. Probably not in their nature to eat humble pie.

No they made a pre judgement about a player based on the evidence available. At the time only ONE poster (I counted) dismissed him as sh*t, most said they were underwhelmed or that it sounds rubbish but that they were prepared to see him play and change their minds. Nothing wrong with that ever and just as I have been excited about a signing who turns out to be rubbish, so have I been underwhelmed by someone who has turned out great, like in this case. That is football and there is nothing wrong with that.

it as OTT when a poster(s) used this signing of slating adkins for not being able to sign good players (or named players)

That had all the hall marks of years spent yelling and screaming next to the supermarket sweet counter. To top that you even had the odd one criticising the Fontaine deal collapsing due to the medical, even though he never played a game for a further 2 months. Bearing in mind Adkins had already demonstrated a brand of football we had no right to expect, just as well or he would really have got a load more pelters.

Guys. remember in pre-season when we missed out on Liam Fontaine ... and Kaspar Gorkss .... and then we took a loan signing who couldn't even get in the Celtic first 11??? Who like me, thought, WTF?? But I said to myself "give him a chance, let's see what he's like". He has been FANTASTIC. First name on my teamsheet now (2nd is Rickie, yes). Unless he tails off in the second half of the season, I'm saying Player of the Season. Very important signing. I'd have paid whatever it took to get him here, up to £5M. I was thinking earlier that poor Liam Ridgewell can't get in the Brum side, and maybe we should offer for him ... but he wouldn't displace Jos in my side, so would be on the bench. What a partnership we have there right now. Love it.

Some very nice words which I would echo. I had no idea how Jos would turn out but I was sure from his pedigree he would be capable of playing football. What I have a high degree of faith in is our transfer committee who look at these things. Jos was considered way before the start of the season with only the price being the knock back. It appears every player we considered was predominately left footed and could play on the ball. Gorkks looked to fit the bill but I can only think his ability to play the ball out was the reservation.

I could not imagine Jos working out so well, he's really been that good and preferred over Fonte. Fonte had been regularly making at least one noticeable error a game even before Jos got here. That seems to have stopped now and can only go down to the understanding they have forged. Fonte looks to be getting better and better, especially coming out of defence and getting forward. I feel Fonte will be the dominant force come the end of the season, mainly because of what Jos brought to the party.

He really isn't though. The only time he posts these days is to have a dig at other fans or those who question decisions by the club. His contribution is at best boring or at worst antagonistic. A sad state of affairs to be so bitter and negative against others opinions because as you say back in the day he did post the odd essay that was worth reading (if you had the time that is). ;-)

Nearly as good as Claus and Michael back in 03

oh behave yourself FFS. IIRC with Lundekvam and Svenson we were the 6th best defence in the premier league in our cup final season. "Hoover" (PMSL) and Fonte are good at this level but a mile behind those two, or at least until they prove themselves in the premier league.

He's the dominant part of the best defensive partnership we've had since Killer\Claus.

Jos plays the Killer role whilst Jose is more Claus like IMO.

If we get to the prem I'd like to see them kept together, I think they could be good enough.

Plenty of loud mouths on here must have swallowed a humble pie or two over this particular signing :).

No they made a pre judgement about a player based on the evidence available. At the time only ONE poster (I counted) dismissed him as sh*t, most said they were underwhelmed or that it sounds rubbish but that they were prepared to see him play and change their minds. Nothing wrong with that ever and just as I have been excited about a signing who turns out to be rubbish, so have I been underwhelmed by someone who has turned out great, like in this case. That is football and there is nothing wrong with that.

Hypochondriac: Sounds pretty awful but prepared to see what he is like.

This is as knee-jerk as a reaction could be. And just to correct you; it wasn't based on the available evidence. It was based on opinions expressed on the Celtic fans' forum. So only one poster said that he was sh*t, but others thought that he sounded rubbish, or hoped that he signed for somebody else. Could I perhaps paraphrase that as them thinking that he was sh*t, or is that taking comprehension of the language too far?

Had he signed for Palace as rumoured, perhaps we wouldn't have scored the two free headers yesterday. How ironic would that have been?

He's probably my favorite player on the team right now. I think this is mostly because of the way he plays but also because he 1) seems so well spoken in interviews, 2) really seems to love the club or at least being in Southampton, 3) is really funny on twitter, and 4) seems to go the extra mile to relate to the fans and thank them for the support.

All of these elements make Jos standout to me. Plus, you know, he's 6'4" so he stands out anyway.

This is as knee-jerk as a reaction could be. And just to correct you; it wasn't based on the available evidence. It was based on opinions expressed on the Celtic fans' forum. So only one poster said that he was sh*t, but others thought that he sounded rubbish, or hoped that he signed for somebody else. Could I perhaps paraphrase that as them thinking that he was sh*t, or is that taking comprehension of the language too far?

Had he signed for Palace as rumoured, perhaps we wouldn't have scored the two free headers yesterday. How ironic would that have been?

No it is not. Again you try to peddle this myth. I said he sounds pretty awful (which if you read the opinion of people who had seen him play was true) but I was prepared to see him play! That is not a knee jerk reaction. Knee jerk would be writing him off as awful before he had played. I did not do that.

No it is not. Again you try to peddle this myth. I said he sounds pretty awful (which if you read the opinion of people who had seen him play was true) but I was prepared to see him play! That is not a knee jerk reaction. Knee jerk would be writing him off as awful before he had played. I did not do that.

but some did

but some did

Yes but it was a very small minority. Actually read the thread and you will see that hardly any actually write him off before seeing him play. I see that even on the first page crab lungs has tried to start the 'posters writing him off myth' that I tried to dispel back then. A few months later and he is at it again. I have changed my mind, crab lungs' contributions have got markedly worse in the last few years which is a shame because he used to be brilliant and a great laugh.

Yes but it was a very small minority. Actually read the thread and you will see that hardly any actually write him off before seeing him play. I see that even on the first page crab lungs has tried to start the 'posters writing him off myth' that I tried to dispel back then. A few months later and he is at it again. I have changed my mind, crab lungs' contributions have got markedly worse in the last few years which is a shame because he used to be brilliant and a great laugh.

why you worried...he is probably our best defender now (better than fonte IMO)...and that is what matters

Yes you did. Go back to that thread and look at some of your comments. The only reason you're getting your knickers in a twist now is because you were all over that thread moaning about not spending money and not being able to sign "half decent" players.

It's ok though hypo, we forgive you. Now it's time to forgive yourself.

why you worried...he is probably our best defender now (better than fonte IMO)...and that is what matters

Of course it is. Well done to all involved for that. I just think that the likes of crab lungs likes to Invent things that suit his agenda. I was simply setting the record straight but we move on.

in the words of hypo

he is a "big big disappointment"
and
"clearly only here as cover"

"we only bought a reserve team CB when we needed quality"

I just don't think Nigel is a big enough draw

nope. never wrote him off at all...lol

don't worry hypo, he turned out brilliant...which is what that matters I guess

we have all made statements...I remember being so sure wotte would keep us up...just accept you were wrong like i did

Edited by Thedelldays

It's perfectly understandable why people were hesitant, especially as he did appear about 4th choice but by fu ck, has he turned out bloody brilliant.

Celtic must have some 'kin awesome CBs if they let him go!

yes...well, will be watching the game later.....so guess we shall see.

looking forward to it..an evening weegee derby

Edited by Thedelldays