Berlin - any recommendations?

Crab Lungs

Hello all

Just a quick message as I'm off to Berlin very soon for NYE - wanted to try somewhere different so me and Cabbage Face decided on the German capital. That said, we've done little research so before we go, does anyone have any recommendations or must do's/don't's they could share with me?

Thanks in advance!

:D

For sightseeing walk the mile or so from Alexanderplatz to brandenburg gate. You'll pass unloved statues of Marx and Engels, tomb of the unknown soldier, and the book burning square. In the vicinity of B'burg gate is the Reichstag, the Soviet war memorial and Jewish memorial. Other good tourist spots are Checkpoint Charlie museum and the Topography of Terror museum (at the site of the Gestapo HQ).

For going out I'd suggest getting an up to date lonely planet type guide as the good areas aren't always obvious.

Was there last January. Went on a Third Reich guided tour, which centred around Von Stauffenburg and the plot to assisinate Hitler. A very good tour. Checkpoint Charlie museum is a must, as is going to watch Hertha if they are at home. A better atmosphere than I have seen anywhere in England.

They use the history as a tourist attraction. The Germans have made no secret of their past and have gone out of their way to try to make up for it (which they know can never be done). Our own history has more than its fair share of a shameful past and we still celebrate it, don't we? There is nothing on the tours celebrating their past, but many memorials to the people that were murdered. The people today can't be blamed for the atrocities (and whether the people of the 1930s could is an argument that will rage for a long time). I like to think that we will never fully know the fear of the state where even your own children are brainwashed against you.

As an aside, Hitler was never a great fan of Berlin, and Berlin was never a great fan of Hitler.

Aaannyway, it is a fantastic city, and pretty cheap for a European capital.