"Accidental" racism

norwaysaint

Says the man who didn't have an issue dressing up in black face.....

What has that got to do with what myself and Hypo are talking about?

Perhaps you can tell me what the issue is with dressing up as Mr T for fancy dress? Or whether using fake tan is tantamount to "blacking" up?

Edited by Unbelievable Jeff

Perhaps you can tell me what the issue is with dressing up as Mr T for fancy dress? Or whether using fake tan is tantamount to "blacking" up?

Surely, unless you are a Scouser or from Essex, using fake tan is cultural appropriation ?

I get the impression that people go out of their way to find things that can be used to beat up others, and to deliberately take, ( fake ? ), offence where none was ever intended, just to show how "sensitive" they are to the 'issues'.

They’re basically peas in the pod with the ‘virtue signaling’ brigade.

I'm going to asume you're being deliberately beligerent in order to maintain your 'trolling' persona, rather than the alternative that you really are a thick ****!

For the last three years you have proclaimed in almost every post you have written that those that voted for Brexit are racist scum and should be burnt at the stake. You've mentioned that members of your family are staunchly racist (does the apple really fall that far from the tree?) and that you 'disown' them. You've mentioned that your wife has racist friends on the school run - a fact that you have recently become aware of so you're going to disown them as well.

Now, you admit that you have dressed up as Mr T and in doing so have altered the colour of you skin - which would amount to 'blackface', whether you are using fake tan, boot polish, marker pen or face paints! It certainly seems hypocritical for you to call for the heads of the racist brexit scum when you are happy to 'black up' for sh1ts and giggles!

I'm going to asume you're being deliberately beligerent in order to maintain your 'trolling' persona, rather than the alternative that you really are a thick ****!

For the last three years you have proclaimed in almost every post you have written that those that voted for Brexit are racist scum and should be burnt at the stake. You've mentioned that members of your family are staunchly racist (does the apple really fall that far from the tree?) and that you 'disown' them. You've mentioned that your wife has racist friends on the school run - a fact that you have recently become aware of so you're going to disown them as well.

Now, you admit that you have dressed up as Mr T and in doing so have altered the colour of you skin - which would amount to 'blackface', whether you are using fake tan, boot polish, marker pen or face paints! It certainly seems hypocritical for you to call for the heads of the racist brexit scum when you are happy to 'black up' for sh1ts and giggles!

So no, you can't. Classic Brexiteer move, throwing insults because I asked you a question you can't answer. At least you're living up to the stereotype.

So, let's try again. Can you please tell me what the issue is with blacking up for a Halloween costume? It would have looked quite odd if it was Hannibal, Faceman, Murdoch and some white guy with a Mohawk? It's a tribute to an awesome character from a TV programme.

So no, you can't.

Let's try again. Can you please tell me what the issue is with blacking up for a costume? It would have looked quite odd if it was Hannibal, Faceman, Murdoch and some white guy with a Mohawk? It's a tribute to an awesome character from a TV programme.

So, it's safe to assume the second option, you really are a thick ****!

Badger has already pointed out the issue....

Surely, unless you are a Scouser or from Essex, using fake tan is cultural appropriation ?

So, it's safe to assume the second option, you really are a thick ****!

Badger has already pointed out the issue....

It's fine if you're unable to articulate yourself properly on the issue, but just try to answer the question I'm asking you. You'll feel such a sense of achievement if you're able to come up with something coherent by yourself. I've asked you twice, and all you're doing is throwing insults around, so I'm giving you a third chance.

You're really doubling down on this one aren't you? Bit of an odd one, choosing this as your hill to die on!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackface

Blackface is a form of theatrical make-up used predominantly by non-black performers to represent a caricature of a black person.

Ergo, putting make up - or fake tan in your case - on your face as a non-black person to represent the caricature of a black person - Mr T in your case - is the definition of 'blacking up'.

Thank you for my third chance but you've made yourself look like a thick racist **** for long enough already!

In case you are still trying to claim that 'blacking up' is not the same as 'black face' :

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/black_up

Verb

black up (third-person singular simple present blacks up, present participle blacking up, simple past and past participle blacked up)

(intransitive) To put on blackface makeup.

I'm looking forward to your next attempt to claim you're just an innocent victim!

I think the crux of the matter is; is the person’s skin colour the punchline.

I don’t think someone dressing up as a specific black person is racist. Examples being a fancy dress Mr T, Dianne Abbott at the darts or whichever Barca player dressed as a Harlem globetrotter.

If you’re just doing it for the sake of being black, then it becomes offensive.

You're really doubling down on this one aren't you? Bit of an odd one, choosing this as your hill to die on!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackface

Ergo, putting make up - or fake tan in your case - on your face as a non-black person to represent the caricature of a black person - Mr T in your case - is the definition of 'blacking up'.

Thank you for my third chance but you've made yourself look like a thick racist **** for long enough already!

In case you are still trying to claim that 'blacking up' is not the same as 'black face' :

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/black_up

I'm looking forward to your next attempt to claim you're just an innocent victim!

I didn't put fake tan on - I was just wondering if you thought using fake tan was racist. Good to know you do.

No, I used the brown face paint that came in the Mr T costume kit I bought from Tesco.

I'm not sure where in my posts I've tried to justify my dressing up or claimed I'm an innocent victim. I haven't, because I don't think I need to. You seem to spend a lot of time arguing against things I haven't said or done.

So, to my next question on the matter. Which part of the following definition of a racist, does dressing up as Mr T fall into?

"Showing or feeling discrimination or prejudice against people of other races, or believing that a particular race is superior to another."

Lastly, you seem to be getting very angry at this - calm yourself down and discuss this like an adult, m'kay?

I didn't put fake tan on - I was just wondering if you thought using fake tan was racist. Good to know you do.

No, I used the brown face paint that came in the Mr T costume kit I bought from Tesco.

I'm not sure where in my posts I've tried to justify my dressing up or claimed I'm an innocent victim. I haven't, because I don't think I need to. You seem to spend a lot of time arguing against things I haven't said or done.

So, to my next question on the matter. Which part of the following definition of a racist, does dressing up as Mr T fall into?

"Showing or feeling discrimination or prejudice against people of other races, or believing that a particular race is superior to another."

Lastly, you seem to be getting very angry at this - calm yourself down and discuss this like an adult, m'kay?

I'm not sure why you think I'm the arbiter of what is and isn't racist - loftier men (and women) than I have determined the precedent.

https://www.dosomething.org/us/articles/dont-wear-blackface

Those who decide to wear blackface are maintaining a racist legacy of marginalizing and dehumanizing Black Americans. It’s a practice nothing short of ignorant and degrading, and participating in it directly supports and prolongs its racist legacy.......

.....Telling a historically marginalized group not to be offended by your actions is an act of privilege and dominance.....

.....It’s pretty simple. Don’t throw out basic human decency and uphold a racist practice for a cheap laugh. With that said, the whole point of Halloween is to have fun, eat way too much candy, and portray a character that interests you. If you want to dress up as an icon of a different race, there are plenty of non-derogatory, creative racebent costumes to do so that don’t involve painting your skin. And if you really can’t resist the urge to darken your skin, go as Papa Smurf or The Hulk. Just don’t wear blackface......

https://www.cbc.ca/news/justin-trudeau-brownface-blackface-1.5289259

Dressing in blackface or brownface is a hurtful, racist and offensive act that mocks, dehumanizes and belittles other cultures while feeding into some of the worst stereotypes of people of colour, community leaders and experts say.....

......People with brown or black skin may feel demonized, "and I think that that's something that should be quite upsetting for anyone," he said.

Not entirely sure why you think I'm angry because you're an ignorant racist, nothing could be further from the truth! In fact, I find it quite amusing that you have spent the last three years lambasting anyone who dared to vote for brexit as a racist that should be murdered when all along you've been harbouring a dirty racist secret :)

I guess it's no coincidence that from the four characters you could have chosen to dress up as, you chose the one that required black face - either that or your mates decided that you, as the most racist member of the group, should black up for the festivities!

Welcome to the 52% :smug:

I'm not sure why you think I'm the arbiter of what is and isn't racist - loftier men (and women) than I have determined the precedent.

https://www.dosomething.org/us/articles/dont-wear-blackface

https://www.cbc.ca/news/justin-trudeau-brownface-blackface-1.5289259

Not entirely sure why you think I'm angry because you're an ignorant racist, nothing could be further from the truth! In fact, I find it quite amusing that you have spent the last three years lambasting anyone who dared to vote for brexit as a racist that should be murdered when all along you've been harbouring a dirty racist secret :)

I guess it's no coincidence that from the four characters you could have chosen to dress up as, you chose the one that required black face - either that or your mates decided that you, as the most racist member of the group, should black up for the festivities!

Welcome to the 52% :smug:

Because you're the one calling me racist. If you can't justify why you think I'm racist, then that's fine, it was a simple question for you.

It seems that you think I'm racist because you've been told it may be racist. Again, have some thoughts yourself and stop just plagiarising other people's arguments. Have some independent thoughts man - this is the kind of thinking that got us into this Brexit issue in the first place.

You seem very aggressive in your posting, which is why I have deduced that you're angry. Maybe you're just an aggressive person, I don't know?

It seems to me, that as you think wearing fake tan is racist, or doing anything to take people away from being pure white, is an issue for you. I wonder why that is? Maybe you're even more 3rd Reich than the rest of us thought. As you say, welcome to the 52%.

Now, that's a point, is doing a black man voice racist?

FWIW I agree with Lighthouse above. Dressing up as Mr T is funny and browning your skin under those circumstances is one thing. I can plainly see how someone might portray a specific character with no intentions of causing insult to anyone. I think taking offence at THAT is shortsighted and not well thought through.

So yes, if "society" is telling us that you can't do the skin, then it follows that you also shouldn't do the voice. Seems a bit silly doesn't it?

FWIW I agree with Lighthouse above. Dressing up as Mr T is funny and browning your skin under those circumstances is one thing. I can plainly see how someone might portray a specific character with no intentions of causing insult to anyone. I think taking offence at THAT is shortsighted and not well thought through.

So yes, if "society" is telling us that you can't do the skin, then it follows that you also shouldn't do the voice. Seems a bit silly doesn't it?

So, if anyone has ever sung to a Bob Marley record, for instance, with a mock Jamaican accent, then that is also racist, as it fits the caricature definition that Weston stole from somewhere.

I know it's not racist, I was there and I know the intention of the costume, I'm just having fun playing with Weston.

What an absolute load of cock and bull. No wonder the countries in a state it’s in, do you really think other countries tie themselves in knots over this? Everyone was bought up in different times when certain things were acceptable and others were not. Perhaps respect for each other should be a more prominent feature instead of racial arguments.

What an absolute load of cock and bull. No wonder the countries in a state it’s in, do you really think other countries tie themselves in knots over this? Everyone was bought up in different times when certain things were acceptable and others were not. Perhaps respect for each other should be a more prominent feature instead of racial arguments.

Who the fck is tying themselves in knots?

Jeff just likes blacking up is all

You aware Trudeau is Canadian?

So, if anyone has ever sung to a Bob Marley record, for instance, with a mock Jamaican accent, then that is also racist, as it fits the caricature definition that Weston stole from somewhere.

I know it's not racist, I was there and I know the intention of the costume, I'm just having fun playing with Weston.

I’m not sure you can really compare the two as there is no ‘black man voice’. Overall I would say they tend to have deeper voices and perhaps different inflections due to the shape of the nose and mouth but nothing you could really mock or imitate.

The Bob Marley comparison doesn’t really make sense as you’re talking about a Jamaican accent, not a black one. FWIW I wouldn’t think that offensive as it’s a regional mannerism, rather than a racial stereotype. Same as doing a Scouse, Brummy or Oz accent.

Blackface is a form of theatrical make-up used predominantly by Actors to represent a caricature of a black person.

Sorry old bean but it appears some subtlety has been lost here. It’s not racist to dress up as Mr. T, because he is a defined character, there is no prejudiced interpretation involved. It may be ‘offensive’, but that’s a different argument.

It is however racist to black up in order to portray a caricature of a race, as it will reflect a prejudice - something your own example explicitly states.

0494d7190f83145a5fc03e139b704867.jpg

Edited by Plastic
Ain’t gettin on no plane

I’m not sure you can really compare the two as there is no ‘black man voice’. Overall I would say they tend to have deeper voices and perhaps different inflections due to the shape of the nose and mouth but nothing you could really mock or imitate.

The Bob Marley comparison doesn’t really make sense as you’re talking about a Jamaican accent, not a black one. FWIW I wouldn’t think that offensive as it’s a regional mannerism, rather than a racial stereotype. Same as doing a Scouse, Brummy or Oz accent.

I don't think it's racist, I'm just trying to work within the parameters set out by Weston.

Anyway, as he's so appalled by this, I expect to see a police incident number for that racist EBay listing. If we don't...well I think we all know what he is.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49855441

Bernardo Silva has been defended again by Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola after accusations of racism following a tweet to team-mate Benjamin Mendy.

The Football Association wrote to City after Mendy was compared to a character on a packet of Conguitos - a sweet brand available in Spain and Portugal.

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F8cc1cf4a-deff-11e9-8221-1b98fc56091e.jpg?crop=1500%2C1000%2C0%2C0

:lol::mcinnes:

See, I think people should just accept this as a difference in culture and in poor taste and move on. Silva deleted it, didn't intend any offence...let it go. This will now be held up as an example of rampant racism in football.

Side note - there's also a white chocolate version. Perfect response from Mendy - who has said he took no offense at all, him and Silva are great friends - would be to make the same comparison in reverse with a picture of the white chocolate character. See if there's the same offense.

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F8cc1cf4a-deff-11e9-8221-1b98fc56091e.jpg?crop=1500%2C1000%2C0%2C0

See, I think people should just accept this as a difference in culture and in poor taste and move on. Silva deleted it, didn't intend any offence...let it go. This will now be held up as an example of rampant racism in football.

Side note - there's also a white chocolate version. Perfect response from Mendy - who has said he took no offense at all, him and Silva are great friends - would be to make the same comparison in reverse with a picture of the white chocolate character. See if there's the same offense.

I was compared to the milky bar kid (a white chocolate bar advert symbolised by a white blonde haired kid) as a child. If a non white friend tweeted a pic of me as a white blind haired child next to a pic of the milky bar kid asking "guess who?" would it be deemed racist?

I was compared to the milky bar kid (a white chocolate bar advert symbolised by a white blonde haired kid) as a child. If a non white friend tweeted a pic of me as a white blind haired child next to a pic of the milky bar kid asking "guess who?" would it be deemed racist?

Depends on the context in which it was used. I don't think the above should be considered racist, for example, as it was between friends.

Depends on the context in which it was used. I don't think the above should be considered racist, for example, as it was between friends.

I agree, but those taking offence on behalf of the non offended Mend appear to suggest that there's no place for context. My feeling is that my scenario would not be widely condemned as racist, but the opposite for the mendy case.

I agree, but those taking offence on behalf of the non offended Mend appear to suggest that there's no place for context. My feeling is that my scenario would not be widely condemned as racist, but the opposite for the mendy case.

Implying all white people look the same is no different though, so those who spend their entire lives looking for something to offend them on behalf of others should be offended by your scenario as well or it's double standards.

There are a lunatic number of people out there that believe it's impossible to be racist towards white people though.

John Barnes who is a major voice about racism in football was not offended at all, and gave a good defence against a couple of radio presenters who were up in arms about it

Just seen a video of the great Social Justice Warrior, Justin Treadeu.

He put a lot of effort into blacking himself up. Managed to blacken his tongue and was packing a piece down the trousers.

Ticks many black Stereo types all for his own amusement . His white privilege must have been hell, if it drove him to that.

Edited by Batman

He put a lot of effort into blacking himself up. Managed to blacken his tongue and was packing a piece down the trousers.

Ticks many black Stereo types all for his own amusement . His white privilege must have been hell, if it drove him to that.

It's normally those who hsput the loudest about this sort of thing who are really hiding the real racism and regressive attitudes about other races. It's just one reason why they are so insufferable.

Blacken his tongue??

Silva has been charged with misconduct by the FA. Basically the black 'victim' of this 'crime' wasn't offended, so a bunch of mostly old, white men in suits have taken it upon themselves to be offended on his behalf.

Presumably if someone posted a picture comparing a young De Bruyne to the Milky Bar Kid or Rooney to Ralph Wiggum, they would also be charged for their offensive remarks.

Silva has been charged with misconduct by the FA. Basically the black 'victim' of this 'crime' wasn't offended, so a bunch of mostly old, white men in suits have taken it upon themselves to be offended on his behalf.

Presumably if someone posted a picture comparing a young De Bruyne to the Milky Bar Kid or Rooney to Ralph Wiggum, they would also be charged for their offensive remarks.

Prison is too good for the racist bastard. That friendship was clearly all a ruse. Should share a cell with Danny Baker, Trudeau and Jeff