"Accidental" racism

norwaysaint

So the Beeb are going to sack everyone they employ who's a bit stupid? Could take a while.

Yeah, I must support racism because I don't think Danny Baker deserved to lose his job.

You stay classy Tim. [emoji106]

He must have known how gutless and PC the BBC is. He should have known he was likely to get sacked if he did something like that and if he didn't then he's a fool. If it was up to someone sensible there is Jo way he would lose his job but he knew who his employers were. Edited by hypochondriac

What was his ‘joke’ meant to be exactly?

He’s clearly monumentally thick.

That royal family members are performing gimps, dressed up (literally and metaphorically) to perform an uncomfortable and slightly grotesque spectacle for public edification.

I expect

What was his ‘joke’ meant to be exactly?

He’s clearly monumentally thick.

Probably that the Royals are pompous, posh and out dated, who’s role is little more than being paraded around for the media and public like performing circus animals. I’m not saying it’s funny but that was clearly the intended punchline.

The fact that the 25% black baby is a monkey, whilst his 50% black mother is a snooty looking, upper middle class white woman, means it doesn’t actually make any sense as a racial jibe.

I don’t know much about Danny Baker but whilst it’s hard to believe he didn’t know about the baby’s mixed race I think it’s harder to believe that he posted it with that in mind, unless it was some sort of career suicide attempt.

I don’t know much about Danny Baker but whilst it’s hard to believe he didn’t know about the baby’s mixed race I think it’s harder to believe that he posted it with that in mind, unless it was some sort of career suicide attempt.

Exactly. No doubt his Fivelive spot will be taken by someone that isn’t a straight white male who will at no point ever cause any micro aggressions.

Now, when I saw that pic, I associated the chimp with the royal family. I most likely did tha because my brain likes to see those jokers being mocked.

If I were racist, and race was at the front of my brain all the time, i would have remembered that MM was part black, and then the chimp would have been mocking that.

In summary, racist or not, the people who noticed the race element in that tweet are far more invested in the topic of racism than the average person.

Now, when I saw that pic, I associated the chimp with the royal family. I most likely did tha because my brain likes to see those jokers being mocked.

If I were racist, and race was at the front of my brain all the time, i would have remembered that MM was part black, and then the chimp would have been mocking that.

In summary, racist or not, the people who noticed the race element in that tweet are far more invested in the topic of racism than the average person.

That’s true for you and probably most white people. If you are black and had people make chimp noises or banana references to you you’d probably see it differently.

Edited by buctootim

What is your definition of to be ‘invested’? Is it people who have racist thoughts or does it include people who have suffered or have witnessed racism in society?

I don’t think there was any racist intent with this post however my thoughts on seeing the post were that it was over the line of what is acceptable in today’s society.

That’s true for you and probably most white people. If you are black and had pepppe make chump noises or banana references to you you’d probably see it differently

In other words, if your mind has already been made up because of past experiences which are nothing to do with this incident, which just make you look for any form of confirmation bias and blank any evidence to the contrary.

In other words, if your mind has already been made up because of past experiences which are nothing to do with this incident, which just make you look for any form of confirmation bias and blank any evidence to the contrary.
Quite.

Those people saying that the joke "shows his true colours" make zero sense. If, as they claim, this is his true colours and he believes that all black people are monkeys and that saying black people look like monkeys is something he has been desperate to tell the world about after 40 years in the public eye then why did he take it down, why did he apologise and why on earth did he miss out on the wonderful opportunity to portray Meghan as a monkey in his joke?

Anyway, he's due to be playing Nottingham tonight (no sign of him cancelling) and I'll be there. I have no doubt the reception will be warm, loud and long. Fingers crossed he'll do loads and loads and loads of racist jokes now he's shown his true colours.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

That could be said for you, me or anyone.

There has been a fair bit of coverage in the media about the new prince’s mixed race heritage, and the night before I watched a feature on the news discussing it, on the radio they were discussing how people of mixed race thought it was significant seeing a mixed race royal family. It was quite a prominent subject so it’s no surprise his tweet got the reaction it did wether he intended it or not.

Quite.

Those people saying that the joke "shows his true colours" make zero sense. If, as they claim, this is his true colours and he believes that all black people are monkeys and that saying black people look like monkeys is something he has been desperate to tell the world about after 40 years in the public eye then why did he take it down, why did he apologise and why on earth did he miss out on the wonderful opportunity to portray Meghan as a monkey in his joke?

Anyway, he's due to be playing Nottingham tonight (no sign of him cancelling) and I'll be there. I have no doubt the reception will be warm, loud and long. Fingers crossed he'll do loads and loads and loads of racist jokes now he's shown his true colours.

Seems a nice enough guy but his show was boring as hell. Good luck staying awake.

Quite.

*double post*

Edited by Jonnyboy

Seems a nice enough guy but his show was boring as hell. Good luck staying awake.
Well, I have all his books, have been listening to him on the radio for nearly thirty years and I saw him on his first tour 18 months ago. I think I know what to expect and I reckon I'll enjoy it.

Thanks for your concern.

So this morning had an incident which was total innocent which taken out of context could spark social media outrage.

I was at the train station where i'd just come out of Sainsburys with a packet of nuts, a banana and a bottle of water. I was approached by a black, female beggar who she said she was wanting change as she was desperate for breakfast. I said I didn't have any change, but said did you want that instead if it's breakfast you want and passed her the first thing in my hand which was the banana. She took one look at me and said "im not a monkey" which got me uncharatistically flustered, trying to explain I didn't mean anything by it, so ended up giving her a fiver FFS

However had some social media cretin been around filming he would have seen a white man offering a black female beggar a banana and there would no doubt have been a social media outrage about it all and the disgusting racism, when it was actually all well meaning and intentioned.

• 4 months later...

It’s only racist since it became taboo. Nowadays, knowing the way it is viewed, it is something you can only do if you are comfortable that a lot of people will accuse you of racism, and if you don’t mind offending a significant percentage.

I’d say blackface anytime post 1995ish is probably a foolish decision, and should expect to be considered racist. Trudeau was 2001, plenty late enough to know better.

It’s only racist since it became taboo. Nowadays, knowing the way it is viewed, it is something you can only do if you are comfortable that a lot of people will accuse you of racism, and if you don’t mind offending a significant percentage.

I’d say blackface anytime post 1995ish is probably a foolish decision, and should expect to be considered racist. Trudeau was 2001, plenty late enough to know better.

Trudeau isn't racist, he's just a rich bloke who has made a career out of virtue signalling. He'd be the first person calling for a resignation if this had happened to someone else in his government or the opposition so he's also a hypocrite.

Trudeau isn't racist, he's just a rich bloke who has made a career out of virtue signalling. He'd be the first person calling for a resignation if this had happened to someone else in his government or the opposition so he's also a hypocrite.

Only he knows the motivation behind his blacking up, ie was it just naive dressing up? This whole thing is being judged subjectively by people based on the standards that society makes people feel that they must adopt in 2019, rather than the intention / motivation by Trudeau at the time and based on acceptable social standards of the time. To my mind he saw nothing wrong and meant no harm. In that point, I have a white friend with a mixed race wife and kids. He blacked up at a party a few years back. Naive, yes, but not racially motivated although someone seeing the pics would scream racism.

Only he knows the motivation behind his blacking up, ie was it just naive dressing up? This whole thing is being judged subjectively by people based on the standards that society makes people feel that they must adopt in 2019, rather than the intention / motivation by Trudeau at the time and based on acceptable social standards of the time. To my mind he saw nothing wrong and meant no harm. In that point, I have a white friend with a mixed race wife and kids. He blacked up at a party a few years back. Naive, yes, but not racially motivated although someone seeing the pics would scream racism.
Absolutely I agree and I don't think he should be condemned for dressing up at a party 20 years ago or whenever it was. My point is he would be the one leading the charge for resignations and calling others evil racists or far right if this sort of thing had happened to others but now it's happened to him he's suddenly very quiet on those sort of things. I think we should forgive his past transgressions and move on but also note that he wouldn't have done the same if the situation was reversed.

Like Baker, I don’t believe Trudeau to be racist, just naive. Having said that I do believe he is a monumental prat and have done since that trip to India.
That and his justification for having a 50/50 gender split in his cabinet "because its 2015" also the time he said he preferred using the word "peoplekind" instead of "mankind".

It doesn't matter, as it hadn't happened. It's ridiculous to call someone a hypocrite for something they haven't said or done.
I'm just holding him to the ideologies he's been espousing since he was elected. Every person in the "woke" Community would have called for the leader of the opposition's resignation if he was caught up in this yet they haven't said the same for Justin. It's a clear double standard and the only reason it hasn't happened is because no other videos of blackface had emerged before his ones. Edited by hypochondriac

I'm just holding him to the ideologies he's been espousing since he was elected. Every person in the "woke" Community would have called for the leader of the opposition's resignation if he was caught up in this yet they haven't said the same for Justin. It's a clear double standard and the only reason it hasn't happened is because no other videos of blackface had emerged before his ones.

Well, I hope you'd be happy for someone to call you a hypocrite for something you haven't said or done.

If I'd been staunchly committed to an ideology that dictated how I should act in certain situations then yes absolutely.

You're really doubling down on this one aren't you? Bit of an odd one, choosing this as your hill to die on, considering your attributing both comments, and demands, to someone that hasn't ever said them.

Edited by Unbelievable Jeff