2012 Formula 1 Cars

Lighthouse

It's around that time of the year again. We start seeing what inovate ideas the worlds best automotive engineers can come up with. Sadly this season Caterham (Formerly lotus, not Renault the one with Kovalainen) have come up with this.

catherham.png

I think I speak for everyone when I say, Christ on a bike that's ugly. Sadly this concept could well be the norm as the new safety regs require nose cones to be lower (something to do with side on, T-bone accidents).

Wait for the new Ferrari then, rumour has it that it's nose will be along very similar lines.

I don't mind it to be fair, certainly the 'platypus' effect has been about since the 2009 Red Bull went for a wide end to it's nose. This is just a mere continuation of that trend.

Edited by Colinjb

The MP4-27 Looks totally unremarkable, I dare say there will be a fair few differences to the car at the first testing session.

AkkEpakCQAA2pOD.jpg:large

I disagree. This is a beautiful car. It's simplicity is a massive plus point. I hate all the aero add-ons, sticky out bits and ugly noses that grace most F1 cars these days. This one almost harks back to the great era of the early 90's when the cars looked their best.

mclaren-1.jpg

Edited by Son of Bob

I disagree. This is a beautiful car. It's simplicity is a massive plus point. I hate all the aero add-ons, sticky out bits and ugly noses that grace most F1 cars these days. This one almost harks back to the great era of the early 90's when the cars looked their best.

mclaren-1.jpg

Apart from the bizare split nose in the McLarens since 2010 of course.

Kudos for the 1993 McLaren though, that thing is sensational, everything about it's proportions are just.... right.

Some rumours that it may be for cooling purposes, but it certainly looks like a vent.

The official line is that it's an "aid for driver cooling". Which, of course, is utter ********. I bet Newey has come up with another barnstormer of an innovation.

This one almost harks back to the great era of the early 90's when the cars looked their best.

I guess it's all a matter of opinion, and coloured a lot by when people start watching F1. I started watching in the mid-80s, and think those were some of the finest looking cars. The JPS/Camel Lotus, Williams, McLarens and Ferraris in the period 84 to 89 we beautiful. The Ferrari was actually scarlet - unlike the hideous orangey-Marlboro-red of Ferrari's cheating German git years.