Deniz Prigent and Breton/Celt music

ART

Some years ago I discovered DENEZ PRIGENT and his incredible voice and music. It's not so easy to find online all the music and performances he does. I thought those who love and share my love of this type of music and tradition would enjoy listening and getting to know Denez. Several generations of his family have been well known in Breton music circles. Until recently his mother in her late 70's would join him on stage and sing and dance with him. It was a scene that really amazed me.

Here is a video of one of his best loved numbers where he uses the full range of his incredible voice.

Tempete en Bretagne.

Here is another more recent filmed at a Celtic Festival with great atmosphere and pipers on stage

Amazing performance at the annual Celt festival in Brittany in 2007. The festival last 14 days and attracts musicians, singers, bands from all across the Celtic world. It is one of my dreams to attend. Here is

SEVEN REIZH Selaou & Tad ha mamm live 2007

This is how I remember him except at the end where they stopped he left the stage and returned playing the bagpipes. I've searched for early live videos but been unable to find it. His music awakens within our genes and within one's being long forgotten memories of our heritage,

Someone will have the Old Grey Whistle recording. It'll show up somewhen. It was about the time of the Olympia Concert here was at the top of his career . "Foggy Dew" is a favorite of mine. Very moving but Stivell voice has a lilt to it that can shivers right through ones existence.

Have just found the song that used to be part of a Breton medley along with Tri mat to lod. The song dates from the 1300's and relates the tale of the return of Monfort to claim the throne of Brittany. It is this tune where Stivell came out playing the pipes at the end

AN ALARC'H ( Le cygne de Montfort )

On Youtube there is a 100 song playlist of Stivells music

Edited by ART

Funnily enough I first discovered Gortoz A Ran a few months ago and it was one of the most beautiful pieces of music I'd heard in years
Indeed it's an amazing piece of music as is Denez Prigent in all he does. He's got his music well protected by copyrite and this is the reason he's not so well known. I believe he did this when he began working with Hans Zimmerman on film music and Black Hawk.

BLACK HAWK

Thanks for posting this, I've been a fan of Breton music since the seventies . I was able to see Alan Stivell in concert three times back then and the music has stayed with me.

Totally agree about the music staying with you. I am convinced it touches hidden memories within our ancestral genes and this is why it has such a powerful effect on one listening to it for the first time.