Adkins

MAY-Z

Assuming that this post is serious I will reply as if it is. I have read a lot of your posts over time and I have observed also Adkins performance and as importantly the way he handled himself over a period of time [starting with his delay in signing to protect the interests of his previous employer] I know where my respect goes...

Your comment that "thank goodness his reign was brought to an abrupt halt" I think reflects poorly on you.

You are entitled to an opinion on his performance etc. but please do not forget the great part he played in our return to the premiership. In my opinion Adkins has not found his level and in a different situation I still think he has a lot to offer.

I don't think any one was a sucker for thinking him to be very good. From my part I did think he was a decent manager, but maybe in this day and age wrongly, I think as importantly he was a decent man.

If there were any "suckers" around, and that is not how I would word it, they were the people that bought into the Cortese regime while he [admittedly bringing some success] was slowly killing the spirit and History of our club.

Thank goodness we now have it back

SaintLard was slagging off Adkins in week 2 or 3 and stuck to that regardless of what results we achieved. If i could be arsed I would show you the posts but he backed himself into a corner and now just continues to dig in.

Adkins did a brilliant job getting us to the Prem and was a breathe of fresh air with his honesty and I will always be grateful to him for his efforts.

SaintLard was slagging off Adkins in week 2 or 3 and stuck to that regardless of what results we achieved. If i could be arsed I would show you the posts but he backed himself into a corner and now just continues to dig in.

Adkins did a brilliant job getting us to the Prem and was a breathe of fresh air with his honesty and I will always be grateful to him for his efforts.

Lard showed himself up to b a right muppet with his anti-Adkins rants and then ran off and hid when the man took us up two divisions.

Lard showed himself up to b a right muppet with his anti-Adkins rants and then ran off and hid when the man took us up two divisions.

Ran off?

Completely the opposite,I stood my ground and remained truthful to myself in my opinion on him.

I still do to this day.

Just because it flys in the face of most on here it upsets people.

Nevermind eh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ran off?

Completely the opposite,I stood my ground and remained truthful to myself in my opinion on him.

I still do to this day.

Nevermind eh.

I suppose the most creditable, and only intelligent comment in your post is the bit at the end about tapatalk.

What an absurd position to take. The man takes us up two divisions in two years and you don't consider him a top manager? You should stick to watching darts.

Ran off?

I still do to this day.

Nevermind eh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote

Adkins was nothing other than a brilliant manager for us. 18th league 1-5poijts outside relegation zone in premier league.

Ran off?

I still do to this day.

Nevermind eh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote

Adkins was nothing other than a brilliant manager for us. 18th league 1-5poijts outside relegation zone in premier league.

I would say the events of the summer have finally put Nigel Adkins contribution and general conduct in perspective for the vast majority, bar the odd crank. He is a good manager, with a very strong code of ethics given the context of the modern game, and I think that most think it a shame that circumstances lead him to take on the downward spiral that is Reading, when he might of prospered elsewhere. Hopefully he will get another good chance at some point.

He did just fine for us. Love him to bits. We probably parted at the right time, though.

Agreed (though I don't mind admitting that at the time I thought it was an insane decision). Just don't get why having had such a great five years coming up that peole can be so mean spirited as to dis people that helped us along the way.

Can't understand the people who slate Adkins, Cortese and Les Reed. They are the big three (apart from Markus of course) who have brought us up, shaped us and given us a great platform to build on, I'm sorry Lallana walked out on us but he was a big part of it too and I can't bring myself to slate him, tho' I do laugh every time L'pool lose.

Ran off?

I still do to this day.

Nevermind eh.

it doesn't upset me and you're entitled to your opinion. It's just that you happen to be completely wrong!

He is on a hiding to nothing at Reading, no funds, chronic under investment, and having to play youth by the barrel load to compensate for injuries. He must be wishing he never took that job as the money never materialised and he is giving his all just to keep them going with no sign of gratitude as a result.

People slating him are literally banging a drum thinking they can be proved right and point to his struggles at reading as a "i told you so".

The simple truth is, his squad was near the bottom of league 1 when he took over, and that was under pardew, who took Newcastle into europe when he left us... yet people then say that Championship football is above his level. But in truth i would be a hypocrite to use that argument since I'm saying you can't base his ability on how he performs at another club.

Instead, I will say this... He took over a team in the relegation places, and got us back to back promotions to the premier league with a net spend of £3m as manager.

If he is so ****e and his squad were so amazing... why the hell were we in league 1 when we only needed £3m to get to the premier league...

People just can't accept that he moulded that team and developed those players, nor that he was easily on course to keep us up..

They ignore the fact that poch's stats for the end of that season are no better than adkin's equivalent number of games. And that is despite the fact adkins was playing with a less experienced team with less experience of top level football as a manager.

What is even more sickening, is that he got the boot, just so that treacherous argie could improve his CV, and leave us in the lurch after encouraging half the first team to leave... That would never have happened under Nigel Adkins, you can be damn sure.

The people who want to be negative wind ups and hate can do what they want. Nigel Adkins is a Southampton legend, his name will forever be associated with guiding this club back to the big time and the squad that he and pardew built, and the squad that nigel moulded are the foundation for any success that follows.

Fell asleep half through that!

This

I would say he succeeded in what he did but was suspect in some areas and Cortese was right to move him on. Cortese saw him up close and knew far more about him that we did....

I would also say that anyone who picked and continued to pick Danny Fox despite his very obvious costly shortcomings is not the real deal.....

Agreed (though I don't mind admitting that at the time I thought it was an insane decision). Just don't get why having had such a great five years coming up that peole can be so mean spirited as to dis people that helped us along the way.

You aren't alone in that. I was appalled when he got sacked.

Come on let's get real here - he's not blinkin Maurinio is he or was he .......

So much sentiment ...... If he was that good Reading would be top of the Championship!

Cortese took us to the Premier League not Adkins. Cortese sacked Pardew and brought in Adkins. His decisions were decisive and correct. Cortese worked on fact not sentiment and the results speak for themselves. He chose also to unload Adkins correctly and the results prove that was a very perceptive decision....

He then brought in an improvement and no one can deny it was an improvement.....

You can't run a £100m pound company on any sentiment. You can't run any size company on sentiment - try it - you will not be successful - ever.... Adkins was a very nice guy there is no denying it but that's not what it's about.

Come on let's get real here - he's not blinkin Maurinio is he or was he .......

So much sentiment ...... If he was that good Reading would be top of the Championship!

Cortese took us to the Premier League not Adkins. Cortese sacked Pardew and brought in Adkins. His decisions were decisive and correct. Cortese worked on fact not sentiment and the results speak for themselves. He chose also to unload Adkins correctly and the results prove that was a very perceptive decision....

He then brought in an improvement and no one can deny it was an improvement.....

You can't run a £100m pound company on any sentiment. You can't run any size company on sentiment - try it - you will not be successful - ever.... Adkins was a very nice guy there is no denying it but that's not what it's about.

Of course you can balance business and sentiment there's been a big drive to humanise business over the last decade or so.

Can I ask what size company you are running, to form your opinion on? Just sentiment wouldn't be a great plan I agree, but a bit of loyalty and trying to do the right thing works just fine.

Can I ask what size company you are running, to form your opinion on? Just sentiment wouldn't be a great plan I agree, but a bit of loyalty and trying to do the right thing works just fine.

The zero-sentiment business model got Premier League SFC to achieve commercial revenues lower than second tier Watford. That is a pretty special feat, granted.

He is on a hiding to nothing at Reading, no funds, chronic under investment, and having to play youth by the barrel load to compensate for injuries. He must be wishing he never took that job as the money never materialised and he is giving his all just to keep them going with no sign of gratitude as a result.

People slating him are literally banging a drum thinking they can be proved right and point to his struggles at reading as a "i told you so".

The simple truth is, his squad was near the bottom of league 1 when he took over, and that was under pardew, who took Newcastle into europe when he left us... yet people then say that Championship football is above his level. But in truth i would be a hypocrite to use that argument since I'm saying you can't base his ability on how he performs at another club.

Instead, I will say this... He took over a team in the relegation places, and got us back to back promotions to the premier league with a net spend of £3m as manager.

If he is so ****e and his squad were so amazing... why the hell were we in league 1 when we only needed £3m to get to the premier league...

People just can't accept that he moulded that team and developed those players, nor that he was easily on course to keep us up..

They ignore the fact that poch's stats for the end of that season are no better than adkin's equivalent number of games. And that is despite the fact adkins was playing with a less experienced team with less experience of top level football as a manager.

What is even more sickening, is that he got the boot, just so that treacherous argie could improve his CV, and leave us in the lurch after encouraging half the first team to leave... That would never have happened under Nigel Adkins, you can be damn sure.

The people who want to be negative wind ups and hate can do what they want. Nigel Adkins is a Southampton legend, his name will forever be associated with guiding this club back to the big time and the squad that he and pardew built, and the squad that nigel moulded are the foundation for any success that follows.

Agreed.

Great post.

of course, he likes being a manager, and he's not working for nothing but IMHO Championship is about his ideal level.

The teams, he had (Lallana Lambert etc), were exceptional and he ran them like clockwork. The Prem. was a different battle and (with hindsight)..... it's better for us that he went when he did.

I still like him, but he needs to change his mindset in order to manage at the highest level. As long as he keeps them in the top half he's safe .....for a while.

I remember how he was when we got promoted from the Championship...wanting to go celebrate with the players. He loved our club as much as we do. Plus he is a model for how to conduct yourself with integrity. I'm really proud to have his name associated with our club, and, like SRL, I really hope he gets the success his attitude deserves.

I remember how he was when we got promoted from the Championship...wanting to go celebrate with the players. He loved our club as much as we do. Plus he is a model for how to conduct yourself with integrity. I'm really proud to have his name associated with our club, and, like SRL, I really hope he gets the success his attitude deserves.

This , Top Man.

I remember his interview after we drew at Chelsea and he knew he was on his way out.