The Great South Run

Colinjb

Who's taking part in it this year? I've just been talked into it by a mate. Thankfully I have now got to a point of being able to do 6 miles in a pace of 9 min 50 per mile and there's six months to train.... but i'm still scared of being incredibly slow.

Is anyone else on here partaking?

What type of running shoes are you using mate? I used to be the same but I had some analysis done for me at the local running shop and they specified a pair of shoes for me that immediately cured it. It wasn't cheap (the shoes that is...) but was absolutely worth it!

It can be tough the last couple of miles with the wind and rain in your face, but the atmosphere is good and it's a very flat course.

On the contrary, on the longer runs i've done recently i've found a bit of breeze and rain to be really very refreshing! After 8 miles or so and turning back onto the sea front that would be bliss!

What type of running shoes are you using mate? I used to be the same but I had some analysis done for me at the local running shop and they specified a pair of shoes for me that immediately cured it. It wasn't cheap (the shoes that is...) but was absolutely worth it!

I've got a proper pair of running shoes, but they weren't fitted like yours. Trouble is now that the pain is constant, feels like just below the back of my knee now. Might get a scan done, injuries I've had in the past have cleared a lot quicker.

• 4 weeks later...

I've paid my 40 quid, just got to get some kit now, then I'll start doing some training. The only problem is the furthest I've ever run is a mile, that was 28 years ago at school & that took me nearly 8 minutes. :scared: It could turn out to be more of a sponsored walk :lol:, oh yeah, both my knees are shot from years of playing footy & my back's had it. Apart from that I'm looking forward to it. :thumbup:

Might be best to start training with a long walk with a few bursts of jogging thrown in. Plenty of time to improve it and no reason you can't get to a position where you can comfortably jog the whole thing by October. Don't worry about pace, just focus on improving the length of time you can keep jogging. And don't think about the distance yet, just very slow and steady improvement. You'll probably surprise yourself come October!

Thanks for the tip, that's pretty much what the only training programme said - so it must be right. :thumbup:

• 5 months later...

Right, lets ressurect this. Not long until the run now. How are we getting on?

My training is going ok, Really lapsed over the summer (work meetings, holidays, barbeques... alcohol etc....) but started progressing again mid august. Competed in the Overton 5 mile race as preperation at the start of the month and crawled home in 48 minutes. A new pair of running shoes and cooler weather later and I completed the same distance tonight in 45 minutes. Feeling confident for the GSR now, pretty sure I can finish and not be destroyed by the end of it.

Edited by Colinjb

How am I getting on, absolute ballcocks! Started training at the start of April, one week in & I tore my calf muscle (didn't warm up :rolleyes:), it took 3 months until I could run again. Not a problem I thought, I've got a few months to get a reasonable distance under my belt, fully accepting I wouldn't be able to run it all. Then they scheduled the Spurs game in the afternoon of the big day. That's ok I thought, I can do the run in the morning & still be at SMS for 3pm.

Then about 3 weeks ago it dawned on me, at best, I can currently run about 2 miles non-stop, I've got very little chance of completing 10 miles in a quick enough time to get recovered, changed, back from skateville, & climb the steps to row EE & still be able to get out of my seat at the end of the match. So after much consideration, I've transferred to the 5k on the previous day. I'm a lot more confident I'll get back for the Sunday afternoon match now & I reckon I'll be up to the distance.

I am quite keen to keep it up though & will be in better shape to do 10 miles next year.

That's ok I thought, I can do the run in the morning & still be at SMS for 3pm.

Yeah, this is an issue. Ideally a shower after would be good before heading to St Mary's...... no idea where I'll be able to do that though! (pyramids leisure centre?)

Do the race in 1hr 40 minutes, that'll make it 12.20 when I finish. It's going to be one hell of a push to make it.

Edited by Colinjb

Training has been iffy mainly due to my marriage breaking down! But hey ho, back in to it now and have managed a couple of 10 mile training runs recently. Not confident of getting anywhere near my PB but hope to be around 85min mark.

With regards to parking the last 2 years i have parked along the road near the 5 mile marker - there is normally plenty of spaces and is easy to get out of at the end. Also have parked in the town before which is ok but a bit of a trek getting back there at the end.

Hope you don't mind but I'm gonna join in on this... I'm not doing GSR, but am currently building up my training for a 10k at some point and then probably go GSR next year.

Currently got a 10k PB of about 47.30, which considering I only started running properly in June this year, I'm happy with. Plus, I'm only using Endomondo on my Android phone, and it usually cuts some distance off where it briefly loses GPS signal, or I do tight corners, so it could well be quicker.

I'm upping my distance gradually for my long runs (did 14k on Friday evening), and about to start doing more tempo and speed work (been using the Bupa training plans for guidance: http://www.bupa.co.uk/running/training/training-programmes/).

Next thing is to get my feet checked out as per Colin's advice above, and see what I can get my 10k time down to.

Well i'll join in too. I'm down for the GSR this year and my training had been going really well until about 3 weeks ago. I'd done everything by the book building up by about 10% a week at most.

Unfortunately i've still managed to develop shin splints and have now had to take three weeks off but still have pain even when just doing the stairs. Unless it improves quickly think i'll have to give it a miss and just take to the bike for some exercise.

I'm going to enter a half marathon in the spring so might just aim for that now and if that goes injury free i'll try a marathon next autumn.

Well i'll join in too. I'm down for the GSR this year and my training had been going really well until about 3 weeks ago. I'd done everything by the book building up by about 10% a week at most.

Unfortunately i've still managed to develop shin splints and have now had to take three weeks off but still have pain even when just doing the stairs. Unless it improves quickly think i'll have to give it a miss and just take to the bike for some exercise.

I'm going to enter a half marathon in the spring so might just aim for that now and if that goes injury free i'll try a marathon next autumn.

Periostite tribiale eh, tried running on softer ground and bumping up your stride rhythm (even if you can't maintain that pace for as long) ? Depends what you have available, river path, grass, woods,forest tracks but you probably need to ice the injury twice a day and get on softer ground with a lessened foot contact time.,

• 3 weeks later...
Got a half marathon best of 1:48 today so quite pleased about that. Especially as my training has been poor!

Well compared to the 1hr 38 minutes 54 seconds I managed for 10 miles this lunchtime that's pretty good. :p

Was delighted that I don't feel too bad after, no blisters to talk about just a tight left calf muscle. Two weeks to go and no beer/crap food until the sunday evening after. I've decided to write off the Spurs game, my friend who is also doing the run is insisting on driving, we have no chance of showering/escaping/getting to St Mary's within two and a bit hours.... but he still wants to try... may insist he drop me off at Southampton Airport Parkway while he dashes there, get public transport home!

Apparently the numbers/timing chips have been posted out, this is becoming a little nerve wracking.

Edited by Colinjb

Ok chaps, I need a bit of advice, as I mentioned I've ducked out of the 10 mile & I'm doing the 5k, which, Spurs match aside, that was the right decision, as when I get to about 2.5-3 miles my knee is shot & stays shot for about 5 days, 10 miles would have been near on impossible, I digress though. The advice I need is when to eat breakfast. I usually train at about 6-7 pm & haven't eaten since about 1.30 pm. The run is about 10 ish. Will I have problems eating a light brekky, say a couple of bits of toast, a couple of hours before race time?

Ok chaps, I need a bit of advice, as I mentioned I've ducked out of the 10 mile & I'm doing the 5k, which, Spurs match aside, that was the right decision, as when I get to about 2.5-3 miles my knee is shot & stays shot for about 5 days, 10 miles would have been near on impossible, I digress though. The advice I need is when to eat breakfast. I usually train at about 6-7 pm & haven't eaten since about 1.30 pm. The run is about 10 ish. Will I have problems eating a light brekky, say a couple of bits of toast, a couple of hours before race time?

Well, do you normally have issues with eating breakfast?

I am not in the habit of having a large breakfast but have tried to get into the habit of at least having a piece of wholemeal toast and orange juice first thing in the morning. (7-8am ish.) I always have a banana 1-2 hours before running, it really does make a difference to me.

Make sure there is something high energy and easy to digest before running, that will carry you through. Over 5k (3ish miles) you should be fine.

Well, do you normally have issues with eating breakfast?

I am not in the habit of having a large breakfast but have tried to get into the habit of at least having a piece of wholemeal toast and orange juice first thing in the morning. (7-8am ish.) I always have a banana 1-2 hours before running, it really does make a difference to me.

Make sure there is something high energy and easy to digest before running, that will carry you through. Over 5k (3ish miles) you should be fine.

No I've definitely never had issue eating breakfast :lol: but I've had issues running a couple of hours after a meal, so I now run before I eat. but a banana etc would probably be ok.

Cheers.

Although I'm not doing GSR, I did my first ever 10 miles in training last week, in 1h 25m, which seems decent enough considering I'd never run that far before!

My better half ran her 1st 10 miles yesterday in 1h 45 in training for the GSR.

She started training in April and did the Wyvern 10k in July.

She's really got into her running and thoroughly enjoys it.

My daughter ran the Cardiff half marathon yesterday - about 8 weeks ago she had a free sports massage after a 10k and they tore the calf tissues

so she had to take it easy yesterday. She did it in 2hr 17 for her first one ever. Raised £400 for Alzeimers.

Cheered a Saints fan running in the Centennial shirt.

My gosh the Kenyans and Ethiopians were good...so easy 1hr 2 mins!!!

Number received. 12157.

Spent last week recovering from the ten miler on the sunday. The chaffing was annoying, had to let it heal when I could have been out doing more running. Will be avoiding anything to strenuous until sunday, maybe a 2-3 miles run every night until the race apart from the Saturday. Two days off after the event so I can go for it without worrying about being destroyed for work the next day. Feeling confident, aiming to go sub 1hr 35 minutes.

Where's the chaffing, without being too graphic?!

I've managed to avoid any despite doing long distance, but I always wear cycle shorts under shorts. Helps so much. Never had the nipple problems many complain off either, not sure why.

I wouldn't recommend running each night this week. You won't gain any fitness or pace now and rest and food will probably be more beneficial. All the best anyway!

The chaffing, was, erm...... nether. I've bought a tub of vaseline to combat this on the day. I wear some jogging shorts with an inner skin tight lining, the very nether 'creases' where a little unprotected though. Also picked up a sore patch on the inner part of my left arm just by the bicep, rubbing on the running vest.

Glad I did the ten miles to see if I would be having these issues, so delighted with my Brooks running shoes though, no blisters. Outstanding.

I know I won't gain any more pace now but without the exercise I actually struggling sleeping. I'm in the habit of doing it now so i'll do a bit but not so much as to risk injury. I appreciate the advice though. :)

How was Billy?

Beat my target time. Finished in 1 hr 34 minutes 34 seconds. Delighted but destroyed. That seventh mile is soul destroying, running through suburban nothingness away from the finish.... Turning back onto the sea front was such a lift.

There was an ambulance for a guy on 8 miles. Hope he was okay.

Well done guys, did my 3 mile stroll yesterday. It was bitterly cold waiting around at the start, but after a couple of minutes running soon warmed up. I thoroghly enjoyed it, much better than a training run. Need to get the knee sorted & I'll join you guys for the grown-ups race next year.

Well done folks, some excellent times being posted here!

I had a 1:25 target, came in at 1:24:41 - a close shave indeed! Pleased with the direction I'm going, 4th in a row, times = 1:47, 1:40, 1:33, 1:24 - I'd like to crack 1:15 next year, if I go again, as I'm toying with entering the Beachy Head Marathon which falls on the same day.

• 1 month later...
Ok guys, i've now signed up properly for the Maltese half marathon..... So I need to get back into training.

For those who first went from the ten miles to the thirteen and a bit. How did the step up feel? Anything I should be aware of?

If you can get through a 10 mile you'll get through a half. The terrain comes into a bit though. If you do a hilly half after a flat 10 mile you'll know the difference. If you do a flat half after to a hilly 10 mile you'll find it broadly comparable.

Just increase the length of you're distance training runs slightly. Also do plenty of stamina stuff (hills, steps, fart lekking) just to give you a bit more in the tank.

You part of a running club? If not try one and train with others working towards similar distances and take their advice.

Ok guys, i've now signed up properly for the Maltese half marathon..... So I need to get back into training.

For those who first went from the ten miles to the thirteen and a bit. How did the step up feel? Anything I should be aware of?

Malta half (and full) are pretty much downhill most of the time. Start is about 650/700 ft above the finish. Traffic can be a problem if you're at the tail end but for the main race body it's pretty much under control.

Only just restarted my running this week after a good 5 or 6 weeks of not doing a lot because of work and illness. Had got my 10k time to 46:30, and did 48:15, so considering my time out, i was happy enough with that. Just good to get back out there. Need an event to aim for in the New Year... any recommendations? Want a 10k first, and then looking to do up to a Half Marathon at some point later in the year (so probably the GSR amongst others).

Keith - I would suggest using something like the Bupa training schedules if you want to structure it a bit. They tend to focus on time running rather than speed initially, but if you can comfortably run for 50 minutes that's a decent start and you probably want to start doing some tempo work to increase overall pace. Don't worry about speed work just yet... just get the miles into the legs at a comfortable pace.

just back from todays run. went for a bit of speed, but wish i hadnt :( did my 2 mile route 7 mins quicker, but am absolutely dead. just didn't have the oomph in my legs

although ive lost 4 stone since May, im still carrying 18 stone around, and it was only my 6th run, so trying to not be too hard on myself

think im gonna go back to concentrating on the distances, as you guys have said above, really appreciate the advice

just back from todays run. went for a bit of speed, but wish i hadnt :( did my 2 mile route 7 mins quicker, but am absolutely dead. just didn't have the oomph in my legs

although ive lost 4 stone since May, im still carrying 18 stone around, and it was only my 6th run, so trying to not be too hard on myself

think im gonna go back to concentrating on the distances, as you guys have said above, really appreciate the advice

Knocking 7 minutes out of a 2 mile run is a stunning effort, brilliantly done mate, do not undersell what you have just achieved.

If you are feeling destroyed, that's a good thing.... it means you have stretched yourself. Your body will now be building itself up to cope better next time.

Keep on it, keep putting the miles into your legs and they will be able to cope better. Try to do one fast run a week (Of two miles or so) and a two distance runs (3 - 4 miles). You will very quickly find your longer distances becoming quicker as your natural comfort zone gets faster.

Egg - I'm not part of a running club, I do all of my training off my own back.

Window Cleaner - Yep, downhill. Mdina to Sliema Harbour front. As my training route features a little gradient in it's circuit I'm hoping that the downhill will work in my favour, no aimed time though, survival will be it's own reward for me. Estimated 2hr 15min on the application form though.

Edited by Colinjb