The Great South Run

Colinjb

Only just restarted my running this week after a good 5 or 6 weeks of not doing a lot because of work and illness. Had got my 10k time to 46:30, and did 48:15, so considering my time out, i was happy enough with that. Just good to get back out there. Need an event to aim for in the New Year... any recommendations? Want a 10k first, and then looking to do up to a Half Marathon at some point later in the year (so probably the GSR amongst others).

Keith - I would suggest using something like the Bupa training schedules if you want to structure it a bit. They tend to focus on time running rather than speed initially, but if you can comfortably run for 50 minutes that's a decent start and you probably want to start doing some tempo work to increase overall pace. Don't worry about speed work just yet... just get the miles into the legs at a comfortable pace.

Eastleigh 10k is fast but is a popular race. March 24. Only hill is up Twyford Road (past Harvester) at about 3k.

Or Marwell 10k (usually in May) if you fancy something a bit more challenging, there's some killer hills especially in the first half of race.

Keith - you obviously did have some oomph in your legs!

But do be careful, as others have said I would recommend that you back off a little bit, maybe add some extra weekly miles at a slower pace (doesn't matter how slow) and just build up gradually. Once you've built a bit of a solid mileage base you can add pace quite quickly. Just don't push it too hard too soon, it's a game of patience and it does take a while, but the results will come.

Anyone in Stubbington 10k in January or know the course?

Keith - you obviously did have some oomph in your legs!

But do be careful, as others have said I would recommend that you back off a little bit, maybe add some extra weekly miles at a slower pace (doesn't matter how slow) and just build up gradually. Once you've built a bit of a solid mileage base you can add pace quite quickly. Just don't push it too hard too soon, it's a game of patience and it does take a while, but the results will come.

thnaks for all the advice and support. im gonna back to sllooow tomorrow, got a 4 mile route so going to go for that, quite gently, see what i can do

im gonna register for the GSR i think, and see if i can raise some money for my wife. will give me something to aim for and ensure i keep it going

although at £40 odd quid to register, i think they should be paying me quite frankly :o

• 4 weeks later...

What's everyone got lined up for 2013?

I'm planning:

Stubbington 10k - Sat 20 Jan

Paris Marathon - Sun 7 Apr

Braishfield Beer Run (5m) - Sun 2 Jun

Winchester - Peddle Paddle Pace - Sun 21 Jul

All good (hopefully) events in their own way. So many good events these days, there's always some challenge.

GSR and GNR are always good events, but very expensive.

What's everyone got lined up for 2013?

I'm planning:

Stubbington 10k - Sat 20 Jan

Paris Marathon - Sun 7 Apr

Braishfield Beer Run (5m) - Sun 2 Jun

Winchester - Peddle Paddle Pace - Sun 21 Jul

All good (hopefully) events in their own way. So many good events these days, there's always some challenge.

GSR and GNR are always good events, but very expensive.

Line up so far for me is as follows:

Brighton half marathon

Eastbourne half marathon

Rome marathon

Brighton marathon

Worthing 10k

Seaford half marathon

Polesden Lacey 10k

Bewl 15m

Denbies half marathon

Purbeck marathon

Bournemouth marathon

Beachy Head marathon

Brighton 10k

Mince pie 10m

A couple more potentials also, but that'll do me I expect! Not doing the GSR this year as it's the day after Beachy Head...

I'll probably do the GSR this year. I've only been running regularly again since November and Xmas got in the way a bit, but I managed a 10k in 48:25 last night. Happy with that as I was aiming to get under 8min/mi for that distance.

I've never done a 10m run so that's the next step. What do you lot think is best, gradually step up the distance I'm running at 8min/mi pace, or go straight into a 10 mile run at a slower pace and then up the pace over time?

Brighton half marathon

Eastbourne half marathon

Rome marathon

Brighton marathon

Worthing 10k

Seaford half marathon

Polesden Lacey 10k

Bewl 15m

Denbies half marathon

Purbeck marathon

Bournemouth marathon

Beachy Head marathon

Brighton 10k

Mince pie 10m

A couple more potentials also, but that'll do me I expect! Not doing the GSR this year as it's the day after Beachy Head...

Ambitious, good on you. Wish I could still run that sort of programme. I'm down to a Marathon every 2 years now. Chicago for me this year.

ive stepped it up a bit since ive been back. managed to do 6 miles on tuesday in an hour and half. did 7 miles today - in an hour and half. just seemed to go a lot faster without trying, had plenty left as well, wasnt even out of puff. i think now i know i can do the distances, i want to try and get quicker, want to get down to 12 minute miles if i can

im quite chuffed with my progress, its only my 13th run, thought it would take me months to get to this level

• 3 weeks later...
Not signed up for any yet, but getting nicely back into the swing of things with a new 10k PB of 45:30 on Friday evening. Chuffed with that, wonder what I can get it down to.

Ant of you lot on Runners Forum (http://www.runnersforum.co.uk)? Found it to be a really useful and friendly place.

I'm not, will take a look. There's a group called Bosh Run on Facebook well worth joining for advice, support, banter etc also!

Brighton half marathon

Eastbourne half marathon

Rome marathon

Brighton marathon

Worthing 10k

Seaford half marathon

Polesden Lacey 10k

Bewl 15m

Denbies half marathon

Purbeck marathon

Bournemouth marathon

Beachy Head marathon

Brighton 10k

Mince pie 10m

Looks like a tremendous schedule, good luck with all of those. Very tempted by the Purbecks and Bournemouth events.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, in need of some advice ahead of the Maltese half marathon.

It's 12 days until the event, i'm a little behind schedule with training thanks to the recent snow. I usually plan to do a 'trial run' of an event two weeks before it takes place and then do a couple of smaller runs to tick over afterwards, so I was due to do 13.3 miles last Sunday. I am however only up to doing 8 miles right now according to my training schedule which is exactly one week behind.

So, do I go for the trial run on this coming Sunday (one week before the event) and just rest up for the following week or keep doing smaller distances and save myself for the main event?

So, do I go for the trial run on this coming Sunday (one week before the event) and just rest up for the following week or keep doing smaller distances and save myself for the main event?

I would say stick to smaller distances and taper for the main event - i rarely see any advice to suggest to do a full trial run for any event of half marathon or longer, and if you've got a good base level of fitness, I would've thought you'd get through on race day without too many problems. I think if you push it too much in the build up you're more likely to injure or fatigue yourself.

Ok, in need of some advice ahead of the Maltese half marathon.

It's 12 days until the event, i'm a little behind schedule with training thanks to the recent snow. I usually plan to do a 'trial run' of an event two weeks before it takes place and then do a couple of smaller runs to tick over afterwards, so I was due to do 13.3 miles last Sunday. I am however only up to doing 8 miles right now according to my training schedule which is exactly one week behind.

Without wanting to sound knobbish I really can't see that it matters at 2+ hours for a half-marathon. I'd just run say 9/10 miles at your race pace minus 1 kph this Saturday and then just tick over afterwards. If you're short on the race distance you need to be careful to get your pace right at the start and through about 8 miles at least because if not you risk "blowing up" especially on a course with negative altitude change.

I would say stick to smaller distances and taper for the main event - i rarely see any advice to suggest to do a full trial run for any event of half marathon or longer, and if you've got a good base level of fitness, I would've thought you'd get through on race day without too many problems. I think if you push it too much in the build up you're more likely to injure or fatigue yourself.

It's just personal preference as much as anything, do the distance, make sure I can survive it and then know better how my body will react for the event itself.

Without wanting to sound knobbish I really can't see that it matters at 2+ hours for a half-marathon. I'd just run say 9/10 miles at your race pace minus 1 kph this Saturday and then just tick over afterwards. If you're short on the race distance you need to be careful to get your pace right at the start and through about 8 miles at least because if not you risk "blowing up" especially on a course with negative altitude change.

I see what you mean, just take the distance up a little more without extending myself too much. How do you mean' blowing up?' What effect would you expect the negative camber to have?

It's just personal preference as much as anything, do the distance, make sure I can survive it and then know better how my body will react for the event itself.

Oh yeah, understand that, and if it works for you then no problem - all I meant was that trainers rarely recommend such a thing so I doubt you'll suffer if you DIDN'T do it. And as I said, personally I think you'll be better for tapering properly and making sure you're as fresh as possible for the event.

I see what you mean, just take the distance up a little more without extending myself too much. How do you mean' blowing up?' What effect would you expect the negative camber to have?

Negative camber or downhill as most of us know it can induce a sort of euphoria and a totally false pace. Thing is when you're running it's not like riding a bike where you can freewheel so your legs still have to turn over and you can easily get yourself into the "red" without even noticing it until it's too late of course. Blowing up is a direct result of being in the "red" you just crack up because you've over-extended yourself, some call it the wall but that's something different which is based on type of "carburant" you can physically stock.There should be no "wall" in a half marathon but if you've over extended yourself early on you'll probably "blow up" because you've used up too much glucide energy and not enough fat and protein energy all the same. The correct pace for a half-marathon should be somewhere around 82/85% of your maximum aerobic speed(roughly your flat out 5K speed).

At that pace you're using glucides and fats/proteins all of the time, as you go towards 100% VMA you're more and more reliant on pure glucide energy (and tri-phosphates but that's another story which only applies to short distances). Then there's the lactate build up to consider. Anaerobic running (oxygen debt) leads to lactic acid build up in the muscles and they will eventually seize up.

Bugger. Bailed on my training run today after only 5.3 miles. Left calf muscle felt horribly tight and I didn't want to risk injury ahead of the half marathon with only a week to go. Really annoyed. Was meant to be a dress rehearsal for the actual event.

As implied above though, maybe best to just do a few smaller runs, stay 'loose' and then focus on giving it for the main thing, rather then trying to do to focus ahead of the event.

• 2 weeks later...
For anyone interested. The Maltese Half marathon was completed in 2 hours, 16 minutes. Still feeling extremely sore but pleased, not quick but the first time I had ever managed the distance, paid a bit for the weather limited training.

Excellent work fella - great time for a first go at the distance!

I managed to get my half time down to 1:48:14 at the Brighton Half the other day. Eastbourne half this Sunday, but I won't be looking for a time there with the Rome marathon in 2 weeks.

I'm tempted by a Half Marathon now... regularly do a 10 miler in training, in around 1h20... any good local recommendations?

8 minute pace is good for a training run over 10 miles.

Take a shot at Gosport Half in November, flat and fast! There's also that Bournemouth Half in October. Probably some other good local options a bit sooner than Oct/Nov but can't think of any off the top of my head, sure others will chip in.

Found that Reading Half (March) a bit too crowded for my liking.

• 2 months later...
So whose doing the GSR this year then? Think I'll just do it every year now. I may change my mind when I reach the point where improvement is unlikely/impossible. Hoping for under 1:10 this year though. 3rd year running. So far each year I get faster and the gap between Saints and Pompey gets bigger. Long may it continue.

Signed up for my first, but probably won't do it every year... I'm looking forward to doing other smaller events more.

Did my first 10 mile run for about 2 months last Sunday morning, and came home in about 1h 20m still which I'm pleased with seeing as I've really struggled to run regularly recently cos I've been so busy. Also applying for a Golden Bond place with a charity for London Marathon next year, so need to start getting back into a regular routine... need to book one of these 10k's I keep thinking about too to give me some interim challenges.

So whose doing the GSR this year then? Think I'll just do it every year now. I may change my mind when I reach the point where improvement is unlikely/impossible. Hoping for under 1:10 this year though. 3rd year running. So far each year I get faster and the gap between Saints and Pompey gets bigger. Long may it continue.

Hoping to, had to bail out last year due to injury not allowing me to train enough to get back before the Saints match. I Haven't started training yet due to a recent knee op, but I'm hoping to get a game of touch rugby in this evening to see how things are. If all goes ok I'll start training next week. I'm just hoping that Saints don't play on the day of the race because I don't expect to get a decent time in, as I've been told I have arthritis in my knee - deep joy.

• 3 months later...

How is everyone's training going this year out of interest? Sadly, After a back injury I've had to decide against this year. Just got my 3 mile pace back to 30 minutes this evening, so on the road back at least. Hope the rest of you are having better luck.

Training fairly regularly for the Great South. Ran a 45:50 10k recently, and the longest run I've done since January is 8m which I did in 65 mins. Slowly building up the distance and plan to run at least a couple of 12/13 mile training runs before the Great South. Aiming to be under 80 mins but still carrying a few extra lbs to be going really quick.

I'm also in the ballot for the London marathon, and going to do the Reading half in March. I imagine I'll find a different marathon to do next year if I don't get into the London one.

I imagine I'll find a different marathon to do next year if I don't get into the London one.

I'm in the hat for London again too - though it'll be a bind if I get in as I'm already doing Brighton the week before, and Madrid on 27/4! Brighton's closed for next year but it's a worthy rival for London in my opinion, and worth a look one year.

Some good smaller marathons out there too, especially if you take to the trails. I'm doing Purbeck in 3 weeks, followed by Bournemouth on 6th October and Beachy Head on GSR weekend, which means sadly I'll be ending a 4 year GSR streak. Good luck Great South Runners!

Training not been great of late due to work commitments and my Dad passing away kinda killing my enthusiasm for a bit!

I'll be getting back out there tonight and then plan on upping things this weekend so hope to be back on things after that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Im not actually running it this year but my missus is so I may get roped into 'joining in' Im doing plenty of running for footie fitness and run around 10k and 15k regularly at around 50 and 90 mins roughly, though that is intervals

I may run it properly again next year

Good luck everyone, Id suggest not running during the final week and eat plenty of pasta

Im not actually running it this year but my missus is so I may get roped into 'joining in' Im doing plenty of running for footie fitness and run around 10k and 15k regularly at around 50 and 90 mins roughly, though that is intervals

I may run it properly again next year

Good luck everyone, Id suggest not running during the final week and eat plenty of pasta

don't need much pasta for 10 miles, couple of GUs and a swig of Lucozade are by far enough for the distance. This pasta eating ritual must be sponsored by Buitoni or something. I've run 46 marathons, never eaten pasta all week before a single one of them, it's in the training really. Dissociated diet works well though but not for 10 miles and certainly not at anything much over 6.30 miling..

Edited by Window Cleaner

i was going great guns up til about 2 and half weeks ago, but havent been able to do much in that time as i picked up an infection. all back on track now though, a 5k tonight, will do a 6 or 7 miler on saturday, and then just keep ticking over til the days. raised nearly £3,000 so far so no backing out now :(

don't need much pasta for 10 miles, couple of GUs and a swig of Lucozade are by far enough for the distance. This pasta eating ritual must be sponsored by Buitoni or something. I've run 46 marathons, never eaten pasta all week before a single one of them, it's in the training really. Dissociated diet works well though but not for 10 miles and certainly not at anything much over 6.30 miling..

Is that all?

Fair play, personally I cant be bothered to run that far but have respect for those that do, thats seriously a lot of training. Fair play.

I find the pasta does help, whether its in the mind or not fot the casual runner, but maybe its just ensuring I eat properly as sometimes I wont eat dinner etc

Can someone answer me why I can go up the gym one day and run anywhere between an hour to two hours (dependent on being bothered) then other days I can barely run 30 mins ?

Fair play, personally I cant be bothered to run that far but have respect for those that do, thats seriously a lot of training. Fair play.

I find the pasta does help, whether its in the mind or not fot the casual runner, but maybe its just ensuring I eat properly as sometimes I wont eat dinner etc

Can someone answer me why I can go up the gym one day and run anywhere between an hour to two hours (dependent on being bothered) then other days I can barely run 30 mins ?

Regarding pasta, it was the same for me. Didn't eat it for an entire week though, just kept the diet totally clean for 3 weeks leading up to an event and only crammed on the carbs with a couple of days before. (Got into the habit of having bananas and tuna/cucumber sandwiches the morning of an event.) If only I could get back to event distances, it's not been a good 6 months.

As for the inconsistency in running times..... it was usually mental for me.

Because you're overdoing it on the day you run 1-2 hours and start the next run diminished. To be effective training (as opposed to an erratic run/don't run pattern ) needs planning where each session takes account of those around it. So you plan it that when you've done a hard run, which can be a long run, you recover with a short and less intense run the following day. Anyway 5 days a week is by far enough to run an average marathon (and I don't mean 5 hours there) If you train correctly virtually anyone can approach Jimmy Saville's runner/jogger threshold of 3hrs 30.