Who are You?

pressingon

I must have missed the original thread. I've just ploughed through it and I too am surprised at the ages displayed. I'm certainly not the oldest and can't go back as far as 1946 to see my first game. but it was in the 40's and against either Bury or Fulham in the old 2nd Div. I can remember Ian Black in goal for us, he shortly after went to Fulham. Bill Ellerington was my favourite player back then. Much clearer in my memory is the late 50's in Div 3 and the 60'sin Div 1/2, although I was hauled off to Australia to live by my Aussie wife in late '66 allowing only a limited exposure to top line football. I have been back several times over the years, each time visiting The Dell or SMS and will again, come September. Most memorable game has to be 3-1v Chelsea in Sep/Oct '72 one of those games we should never have got near them on the run of play. Saints have always been close to my heart and better than plastics I see elsewhere on my travels.

I'll be 72 this year,

Bill Ellerington coming up 90 years old. Spoke to him this week.

Rookie fan who lives in Sweden.

Started following the Saints after they got promoted, that's when I started following football for the first time in my life and I fell for the Saints.

Never been to a game (Student, aint got much cash right now) but plan on going to a game next season.

Started following the Saints after they got promoted, that's when I started following football for the first time in my life and I fell for the Saints.

Never been to a game (Student, aint got much cash right now) but plan on going to a game next season.

I love stories like this. What attracted you to the saints?

I love stories like this. What attracted you to the saints?

That they had struggled to get back to the PL and the way they got back (back to back promotions). Showed alot of willpower and heart.

Then i read up on the club and their history, players staying with the club like Le tiss inspired me.

I just cant put my finger on it.. It just felt right to start following the saints and I havent missed a game since then.

That they had struggled to get back to the PL and the way they got back (back to back promotions). Showed alot of willpower and heart.

Then i read up on the club and their history, players staying with the club like Le tiss inspired me.

I just cant put my finger on it.. It just felt right to start following the saints and I havent missed a game since then.

Good on you. Anders Svensson and Killer were two of the best players I have seen in a Saints shirt. Hope you get to a game this season.

Good on you. Anders Svensson and Killer were two of the best players I have seen in a Saints shirt. Hope you get to a game this season.

I must have missed the original thread. I've just ploughed through it and I too am surprised at the ages displayed. I'm certainly not the oldest and can't go back as far as 1946 to see my first game. but it was in the 40's and against either Bury or Fulham in the old 2nd Div. I can remember Ian Black in goal for us, he shortly after went to Fulham. Bill Ellerington was my favourite player back then. Much clearer in my memory is the late 50's in Div 3 and the 60'sin Div 1/2, although I was hauled off to Australia to live by my Aussie wife in late '66 allowing only a limited exposure to top line football. I have been back several times over the years, each time visiting The Dell or SMS and will again, come September. Most memorable game has to be 3-1v Chelsea in Sep/Oct '72 one of those games we should never have got near them on the run of play. Saints have always been close to my heart and better than plastics I see elsewhere on my travels.

I'll be 72 this year,

A true saint, good on ya.

Wrong again, Prof.

Newcastle was in the 3rd round. We had already beaten Rosenborg and Victoria Guimaraes.

Wasn't it Anderlecht who knocked us out, that night, that evening was really p@ssing down and jim steele had a mare.

Edited by Saint Billy

I am surprised that most people on this thread are over 40' maybe we had better have an old hits/codgers forum.

Did you get the 's' in the wrong place? ;) Sorry just realised that it was deliberate - a bit slow in my old age :blush:

Edited by St_Tel49

Wasn't it Anderlecht who knocked us out, that night, that evening was really p@ssing down and jim steele had a mare.

We were talking about our first venture into European competition, which was the Inter Cites Fairs Cup in 69/70 season. As Old Nick has said Anderlecht was in the CWC in 76/77. We also qualified for, what had become the UEFA Cup, in 71/72 and lost to Athletic Bilbao in the 1st rd. Won 2-1 at home and lost 0-2 away.

Hope you get to a game. If you do, start a thread about how you found it!

43. Born and raised in Winchester. Live in Shirley Village now! Lived in Southampton for 20 odd years since finishing Uni. First game, I think, was a reserve game with KK playing as he returned from injury. Before that i'd seen the odd game on TV but started going properly with a mate and his uncle from about 1982. My old man didn't take me as he was a Pompey fan! ( the slag!). I do remember the first games me and my mates were allowed to go to without adults though, they were the two end of season games where we beat spurs 5-0 and Coventry 8-2 (iirc).

Away games - can't remember but went to loads in the mid to late 90's, generally a big day out, so memories are a bit vague. Could be the QF FA cup game against man u on a Monday night (95 ish?) when we lost but played them off the park.

43. Born and raised in Winchester. Live in Shirley Village now! Lived in Southampton for 20 odd years since finishing Uni. First game, I think, was a reserve game with KK playing as he returned from injury. Before that i'd seen the odd game on TV but started going properly with a mate and his uncle from about 1982. My old man didn't take me as he was a Pompey fan! ( the slag!). I do remember the first games me and my mates were allowed to go to without adults though, they were the two end of season games where we beat spurs 5-0 and Coventry 8-2 (iirc).

Away games - can't remember but went to loads in the mid to late 90's, generally a big day out, so memories are a bit vague. Could be the QF FA cup game against man u on a Monday night (95 ish?) when we lost but played them off the park.

Monty man, Beaufort boy or Westgate w@nker?

Monty man, Beaufort boy or Westgate w@nker?

• 1 month later...

Lived in Asia the last 17 Years (Hong Kong, Singapore, Tokyo and now back in Singapore)

First game was in 1977, Oldham at the Dell in the second division. Finished 1-1 and we were promoted a few weeks later. Got my first season ticket the season after in the Family centre.

First away game was Nottingham Forest in the FA Cup in 1984. We won 2-1 with Steve Moran scoring in the last minute if I remember correctly.

Now we are back in the Premier League get to see every game on TV, but we were also on a few times in the Championship.

Last game I was at was 2-0 away to Orient the season we got promoted from League 1

Occupation - Management Consulting

Lived in Asia the last 17 Years (Hong Kong, Singapore, Tokyo and now back in Singapore)

First game was in 1977, Oldham at the Dell in the second division. Finished 1-1 and we were promoted a few weeks later. Got my first season ticket the season after in the Family centre.

First away game was Nottingham Forest in the FA Cup in 1984. We won 2-1 with Steve Moran scoring in the last minute if I remember correctly.

Now we are back in the Premier League get to see every game on TV, but we were also on a few times in the Championship.

Last game I was at was 2-0 away to Orient the season we got promoted from League 1

Occupation - Management Consulting

I'm 60, born and raised in Southampton. First game was at the Dell when we played Aston Villa in the last game of the season. We won 6-2 with Big Ron scoring 4 of them. Thought it was always going to be like that..!!

Couldn't wait for the next season to start and barely missed a game until around 10 years ago, when I moved to live in Vietnam. It was a bit tricky following things then as the internet wasn't so developed.

I now live in France and still spend most of my computer time on here keeping in touch with things.

Took my youngest daughter to the Zenith final at Wembley for her first game and she was hooked. We were both STH at the Dell for many years (and tears..!) mainly in the Archers right behind the goal. Great atmosphere there...

My best moments now are seeing all 5 grandchildren in their Saints kit..

I'm 28 years old and live in Maidenhead now but I was born in Winchester. My Dad was in the Army for 36 years until I was 18 so we moved every 2/3 years across the south of England and Germany a couple of times (Borussia Dortmund were my local team out there!). I was at a boarding school in Surrey for 5 years where I first got my passion for Saints and started supporting them in the 95/96 season. I started supporting Saints due to where I was born and because one of my good friends at school was a big SFC fan too. Typically the other kids were glory supporting Man U fans!

We were living in Andover and my Mum tried and tried to get a ticket for me to go to my first ever Saints match but could never get hold of any at The Dell. I was about to move to my next boarding school in Hampshire before we were about to be posted to Germany again in 1998 and she wrote to the club explaining that I was desperate to go to a game but wouldn't get a chance to for a few years until we were back from Germany. The club very kindly sent us 2 tickets for Southampton vs Wimbledon in April of that year...it was a terrible match, a Paul Jones howler let in Carl Leaburn to score from a tight angle as the Dons won 0-1 but I absolutely loved it!

We moved back to UK in 2001 to Tidworth for my Dad's last job in the Army and I managed to get to my first few games at St.Mary's - I remember watching a 2-0 win vs Derby and a 1-0 win vs WBA (Beatts 30 yard screamer!). We moved to Bournemouth in 2003 where my family have lived since so I was able to get to games much more easily. I started going to more and more matches post relegation from Premiership during the Championship/League 1 days going to 12-15 games and a couple of aways a season.

Fast forward to the present and last year was my first season ticket and I have renewed again for this season (Block 39). The lows have been low and the highs have been high as a Saints fan but nothing makes me happier than 'football days' watching the boys.

born in Devon 65 years ago, lived in Salisbury all my life

Man u supporter in early days ,until my now wife took me to see Saints v Man u in 1981

then I grew up to support a proper team

both season ticket holders since Saints moved to St Marys

good thread for a change

Originally from Salisbury, but have lived in Leeds for last 14 years. Go to northern away games when work and family allows and the odd home when back dan saaf seeing the folks. Will be at Barnsley in two weeks and can't bloody wait.

First home game was 92/93. We lost 2-1 to Sheffield Wednesday with Super Kenny Monkou heading our consolation. Waddle and David Hirst scored stunners for them. Utterly, hopelessly, irretrievably obsessed ever since that day.

First away game was the catastrophic 2-1 defeat at Swindon the following season. I missed the bus home.