Saints for Sale

Guided Missile

Wayne is starting to irritate me now. He thinks any new owner will pay for the training ground! What if his article about a tiny £25m deal doesn't happen, who pays for the training ground then?

https://twitter.com/#!/wayneveysey

Ask him what his source is - given this rumour has been doing the rounds for ages, he does realise he might just be another pliable chump to fall for horsesh*t and think he's landed on a scoop?

Edited by shurlock

Read his post.

"The style of play" :lol:

"If the aim was just to get to the prem, we'd have more than likely just done a west hoof and bought a load of lumps that score and got in allardyce to manage us." :lol:

Now there's the difference, I guess.

You think that scotty is "very, very naive" and I think you're very, very cynical.

In scotty's favour, though, is the fact that Cortese has always made a big point about playing with style, which to me means that he's in it for more than the money and power.

I can't speculate on any of the above, other than to suggest that Markus and his family did not get rich by accident. And whatever his intention with the football club, the quickest way to a small fortune is to start with a big fortune and buy a football club... If they were to sell for a profit no-one could blame them.

But your suggestion ignores the questions I asked, so the hackneyed old saying you used doesn't help much, does it LTC?

It was the same situation when Markus bought-in, and there are enough pictures of him celebrating wins as though he had followed us since he was a kid, so the hypothesis underlying the questions is that money isn't everything to the Liebherrs. They also seem to be a very tight family in which honour and loyalty are high values.

No, nobody could blame them if they sold at a profit but my implied point was that I don't think this is their primary motivator.

Read his post.

"The style of play" :lol:

"If the aim was just to get to the prem, we'd have more than likely just done a west hoof and bought a load of lumps that score and got in allardyce to manage us." :lol:

As a fanbase we do expect to see football played the right way, it's in the Southampton psyche to expect it, note the Branfoot era. If we played hoofball it's reasonable to conclude it would have a negative impact on gates. Winning football - playing good football - makes business sense.

Granted the second comment is a bit daft.

But your suggestion ignores the questions I asked, so the hackneyed old saying you used doesn't help much, does it LTC?

It was the same situation when Markus bought-in, and there are enough pictures of him celebrating wins as though he had followed us since he was a kid, so the hypothesis underlying the questions is that money isn't everything to the Liebherrs. They also seem to be a very tight family in which honour and loyalty are high values.

No, nobody could blame them if they sold at a profit but my implied point was that I don't think this is their primary motivator.

No-one has any idea about their motivation but what we can be sure of is they know how to make money!

As a fanbase we do expect to see football played the right way, it's in the Southampton psyche to expect it, note the Branfoot era. If we played hoofball it's reasonable to conclude it would have a negative impact on gates. Winning football - playing good football - makes business sense.

No-one, including NC is particularly @rsed about our style of play. If we win games we're happy. Some on here seem to think we play this amazing slick, passing football, the "Southampton Way", the next Barcelona and West Ham are a mid 1980's Wimbledon. We play some decent stuff at times, but we're nothing exceptional at all in that regard. If you offered NC winning ugly and being top or playing pretty football and being mid-table what do you think he'd take. Everyone in football would "like" to be known for playing with great style, but its a fair way down the priority list.

No-one has any idea about their motivation but what we can be sure of is they know how to make money!

In the sense that none of us has actually heard a Liebherr say why they're in this, at least AFAIK, you're correct about not knowing their motivation. However, I don't know how many times Cortese - the critical point of contact - has to say that the family are fully committed before people will believe him.

And Yes, LTC, he could be lying.

As always, time will tell.

In the sense that none of us has actually heard a Liebherr say why they're in this, at least AFAIK, you're correct about not knowing their motivation. However, I don't know how many times Cortese - the critical point of contact - has to say that the family are fully committed before people will believe him.

And Yes, LTC, he could be lying.

As always, time will tell.

Don't get me wrong, I don't doubt Nicola. And perhaps Markus's family are committed to presiding over a club to rival Barcelona (or Nicola is). I hope this might be the case.

But I think it's better to simply accept whatever comes along and be grateful for what the Liebherrs have done rather than burden them with any expectation of what we might desire to be.

No-one, including NC is particularly @rsed about our style of play. If we win games we're happy. Some on here seem to think we play this amazing slick, passing football, the "Southampton Way", the next Barcelona and West Ham are a mid 1980's Wimbledon. We play some decent stuff at times, but we're nothing exceptional at all in that regard. If you offered NC winning ugly and being top or playing pretty football and being mid-table what do you think he'd take. Everyone in football would "like" to be known for playing with great style, but its a fair way down the priority list.

Think it does matter - NC's criticism of AP's style was pretty undisguised. We do play more attractive football under NA than AP, though I agree we're clearly pragmatic, especially in hitting Lambert early and our passing is more about ball retention than eye-catching slick football.

Still, it does seem that there are efforts to coordinate the way the first team plays with the way the youths and reserves play, suggesting that we do have a footballing philosophy we want to instill.

I just seen a rumour on a London clubs fan site . Saying Nigel will walk away from saints if there sold . Where do people get this ****e . Clearly west ham a rattled and try to use psychology to destabilise the club and us supporters . Anyone know if reading are getting a spate of rumours to . What a load of ******** are being spouted about and how childish if it is comming from the ammeter pr team .

All speculation.... maybe some truth in rumour, who knws, but the question should be why get so concerned? Anyone with any sense and a simple pair of open ears will have seen that from day 1, it was clear that whatever the motivation, whatever the long term plan, folk with busines sintegrity such as the Liebherrs would not drop us in the mire. For me teh reason why I have always felt we were in good hands and trusted NC, is simply because Markus did.

Those making a story out the the news that the 33 mil was converted to equity, forget that there is not a cat in hells chance that either Markus or Nicola Cortese would have sanctioned such spending/investment had this equity deal not been on the cards.

Cortese was also very honest in admiting that should the Liebherr family, feel they did not want to evntually continue owning the club, that he hd a plan B - why not trust him on this now?

Secondly, I would not be surprized if there was some truth in a 25 mil asking price... but that was before we were very close to prem which increases the value somewhat. No pressure to sell, no debt, good leadership and folks of integrity at the helm.

If the club is sold, I suspect we will see NC remain in charge and with a stake in the club - If its sold for 25 mil, its possible that NC would retain his 20% as equity - would make sense given the potential for becoming a solid prem side if we carry on with the pragmatic growth strategy adopted so far.

Success (albeit in our pheonix like rise), always creates jealousy and suspician - its the British disease and so its no surprise that there are some 'dark forces' happy to spread rumour and gossip to unsettle those having a good time and enjoying that success, so dont let it get to you.

What will be will be, and right now thats a club that has a modern infrastructure, is building for the future has risen from the despair of -10 point in L1 to the brink of the back to back promotions in just 2 years, has a decent hardworking united squad under a decent manager who just oozes enthusiasm and positivity, led by a chairman who is driven by the desire to succeed, with owners who have generously ensured their fathers wishes have been supported. Makes me feel very proud of what the club has achieved, and no miserable feckwit of meddling journas with dillusions of of self importance is going to dilute that for me, and nor should it for any saints fans.

All speculation.... maybe some truth in rumour, who knws, but the question should be why get so concerned? Anyone with any sense and a simple pair of open ears will have seen that from day 1, it was clear that whatever the motivation, whatever the long term plan, folk with busines sintegrity such as the Liebherrs would not drop us in the mire. For me teh reason why I have always felt we were in good hands and trusted NC, is simply because Markus did.

Those making a story out the the news that the 33 mil was converted to equity, forget that there is not a cat in hells chance that either Markus or Nicola Cortese would have sanctioned such spending/investment had this equity deal not been on the cards.

Cortese was also very honest in admiting that should the Liebherr family, feel they did not want to evntually continue owning the club, that he hd a plan B - why not trust him on this now?

Secondly, I would not be surprized if there was some truth in a 25 mil asking price... but that was before we were very close to prem which increases the value somewhat. No pressure to sell, no debt, good leadership and folks of integrity at the helm.

If the club is sold, I suspect we will see NC remain in charge and with a stake in the club - If its sold for 25 mil, its possible that NC would retain his 20% as equity - would make sense given the potential for becoming a solid prem side if we carry on with the pragmatic growth strategy adopted so far.

Success (albeit in our pheonix like rise), always creates jealousy and suspician - its the British disease and so its no surprise that there are some 'dark forces' happy to spread rumour and gossip to unsettle those having a good time and enjoying that success, so dont let it get to you.

What will be will be, and right now thats a club that has a modern infrastructure, is building for the future has risen from the despair of -10 point in L1 to the brink of the back to back promotions in just 2 years, has a decent hardworking united squad under a decent manager who just oozes enthusiasm and positivity, led by a chairman who is driven by the desire to succeed, with owners who have generously ensured their fathers wishes have been supported. Makes me feel very proud of what the club has achieved, and no miserable feckwit of meddling journas with dillusions of of self importance is going to dilute that for me, and nor should it for any saints fans.

Quite right FC, well said.

Think it does matter - NC's criticism of AP's style was pretty undisguised. We do play more attractive football under NA than AP, though I agree we're clearly pragmatic, especially in hitting Lambert early and our passing is more about ball retention than eye-catching slick football.

Still, it does seem that there are efforts to coordinate the way the first team plays with the way the youths and reserves play, suggesting that we do have a footballing philosophy we want to instill.

NC and AP didn't get on as people, it's as simple as that. I wouldn't agree that we play particularly more attractive football under NA than AP. Particularly the 2nd half of this season, our strength has been grinding out results and being ruthless with the chances we have, winning games however we can, as Adkins has said many times himself and that's how it should be.

I'd imagine pretty much every academy in the country tries to get their kids knocking about on the deck these days.

Like I say, we do knock it around well at times, but lets not pretend there is anything remotely like the "Southampton Way".

NC and AP didn't get on as people, it's as simple as that. I wouldn't agree that we play particularly more attractive football under NA than AP. Particularly the 2nd half of this season, our strength has been grinding out results and being ruthless with the chances we have, winning games however we can, as Adkins has said many times himself and that's how it should be.

I'd imagine pretty much every academy in the country tries to get their kids knocking about on the deck these days.

Like I say, we do knock it around well at times, but lets not pretend there is anything remotely like the "Southampton Way".

Think its a bout the desire to play a stylish game though, not loosing sight of the pragmatic reality that its results that really matter, especially at the business end of the season whenit gets scrappy... But NC also knows that if he wants the club to grow, and by that I mean fill the seats week in week out at SMS, w have to entertain as well and be good value for and that comes with playing an more expansive attcking and pasing game - I am sure he has considered it important for the 'brand' value of SFC as well

Think its a bout the desire to play a stylish game though' date=' not loosing sight of the pragmatic reality that its results that really matter, especially at the business end of the season whenit gets scrappy... But NC also knows that if he wants the club to grow, and by that I mean fill the seats week in week out at SMS, w have to entertain as well and be good value for and that comes with playing an more expansive attcking and pasing game - I am sure he has considered it important for the 'brand' value of SFC as well[/quote'] Everyone in football would like to play "a stylish game". They play what they're able to. What difference will it really make to the "brand"? Teams towards the top generally play more "stylish football", as they have better players. I doubt there has been much difference in how Stoke's and Swansea respective attendances will work out despite the contrast in styles to their early years in the Prem.

Don't get me wrong, I don't doubt Nicola. And perhaps Markus's family are committed to presiding over a club to rival Barcelona (or Nicola is). I hope this might be the case.

But I think it's better to simply accept whatever comes along and be grateful for what the Liebherrs have done rather than burden them with any expectation of what we might desire to be.

That's pretty much where I sit, too. And I also really enjoyed FC's post.

Even if the Liebherrs did decide to move along, we have so much to be grateful for, and we're in far better shape than we've ever been on so many levels. My questions were more about whether they would just drop us to the highest bidder, especially a consortium of hedge funds. My hunch is that their family honour and integrity - and the importance to them of Markus's wishes - will help to ensure that we'll be fine regardless of their decision. FWIW I certainly don't see Nicola walking for a while, and his input - given how close he and Markus were - is likely to count for a hell of a lot.

Everyone in football would like to play "a stylish game". They play what they're able to. What difference will it really make to the "brand"? Teams towards the top generally play more "stylish football", as they have better players. I doubt there has been much difference in how Stoke's and Swansea respective attendances will work out despite the contrast in styles to their early years in the Prem.

True, but don't underestimate the impact that 'image' and how we are perceived by the media and pundits - you can't tell me it's a bad thing when the pundits talk about our pretty style whether deserved or not- we have established a growing rep for it - and that can have a positive impact in everything from attracting more fans at The gate to recruiting for the academy ?

True' date=' but don't underestimate the impact that 'image' and how we are perceived by the media and pundits - you can't tell me it's a bad thing when the pundits talk about our pretty style whether deserved or not- we have established a growing rep for it - and that can have a positive impact in everything from attracting more fans at The gate to recruiting for the academy ?[/quote']

And even their own fans are asking if we're the new West Ham. We might be locked in an eyeball-to-eyeball battle with them right now, and some insults have certainly been exchanged, but I still take that as a big compliment to what we've achieved and where we're heading.

It's all just a ruse to detract potential bidders (if there were indeed any) away from Porstmouth until they collapse in a liquidated heap at the end of the season and disappear for good. It's a case of, why spend 30+m on rescuing that disaster zone when you could maybe buy this exceptionally well run, sucessful stable business for less.

Nice plan Nicola.

Just making the obvious comparison with west ham. Those pair of slugs sullivan and gold have a damn sight more experience of squeezing money out of english football clubs than Cortese is likely to amass in a lifetime, and thats the way they've gone about it this season. If Cortese was purely interested in getting us promoted to the prem to maximise profits, at which stage we would get sold on arrival, surely he would have homed straight in on the quickest, cheapest and probably most reliable option. I don't buy the theory that an interest in our style of play is just a cynical attempt to get more fans through the turnstiles, that was repeated time and again right from the off when Pards was appointed. If he was planning to sell up and f*ck off as soon as we get promoted to the prem, (if we do,) why would he care what the fans think of how we play?

Mr Versey who post the goal.com article seems to have an interesting past

is this the same guy?

A journalist arrested after going undercover to investigate airport security walked free from court after the case against him was dropped.

Wayne Veysey, former Shropshire Star reporter and originally from Shrewsbury, applied for a cleaning job at Heathrow Airport just months after 11 September terrorist attacks.

Mr Veysey, now a reporter for the London Evening Standard, was arrested after a false reference from his father was discovered, Harrow Crown Court heard on Thursday.

The Judge described the Crown Prosecution Service's decision to drop the case as "extremely realistic", adding that subterfuge was acceptable in matters of public interest.

Denied charges

The court heard Mr Veysey's 57-year-old father David, who runs a corner shop in Porthill Gardens in Shrewsbury, provided his son with a reference and pretended they were not related.

They were both arrested and charged with attempting to obtain a pecuniary advantage.

The two denied the charges and they were sent for trial.

Mr Veysey, of Sutton Court Road, Chiswick, west London, and his father agreed to be bound over to keep the peace for 12 months in the sum of £250.

Says more to me about the depths to which the quality of journalism in the UK has sunk, where a reporter can't get enough bona fide references to qualify for a job as a cleaner.

How many times do people have to be told!

THE CLUB IS NOT FOR SALE

Virtually EVERYTHING in this country of any value is available to purchase at a price that will make a profit for individuals whether they be the actual, custodial or 'spiritual' owners - the trains, the banks, schools, the prisons, our water, gas, electricity, and anything else worthwhile soon will be: the Royal Mail, the NHS etc. etc..

It doesn't matter who you are - the more crooked or despotic you are, the more cash you will have so the more welcome you will be.

Why would SFC be any different, you romantic fools?

Virtually EVERYTHING in this country of any value is available to purchase at a price that will make a profit for individuals whether they be the actual, custodial or 'spiritual' owners - the trains, the banks, schools, the prisons, our water, gas, electricity, and anything else worthwhile soon will be: the Royal Mail, the NHS etc. etc..

It doesn't matter who you are - the more crooked or despotic you are, the more cash you will have so the more welcome you will be.

Ironically, that's a very naive view.

What a silly billy.

Ironically, that's a very naive view.

Why? He's right. We're about to sell a % of RBS to Qatar. Do you have a view on the Qatari ideals? How, for example, do they view homosexuality in Qatar?

We are very good in this country at turning a blind eye to someone's spiritual, moral or humanitarian compass when they wave a cheque book...

Although I see women may now be able to work in underwear shops to sell women underwear in Saudi Arabia, so perhaps equality in the middle-east is only a stone's-throw away.

Why? He's right. We're about to sell a % of RBS to Qatar. Do you have a view on the Qatari ideals? How, for example, do they view homosexuality in Qatar?

We are very good in this country at turning a blind eye to someone's spiritual, moral or humanitarian compass when they wave a cheque book...

Although I see women may now be able to work in underwear shops to sell women underwear in Saudi Arabia, so perhaps equality in the middle-east is only a stone's-throw away.

Love the joke in the last line - assume, and hope, it was intentional.

And, Shurlock, I am not naive and I don't see why it would be 'ironical' if I were. Please explain both statements.

You are obviously not 'No **** Shurlock'.

Some businesses do, some dont. I've done quite a bit of work on why family/medium-sized businesses don't grow in this country compared to say Germany -and many struggle because they are reluctant to surrender control or have their equity diluted. They would rather go to the dogs than sell up even its only partially and in their own interests. That's why the CBI is calling the government to set up a bond market for mid caps so that firms dont have to sell up while securing the capital they need to expand. I agree many British companies, especially PLCs controlled by institutional investors, don't have those qualms but they're not the only show in town.

Liebherr has a very different understanding of ownership - maybe there is something funny in the water in Germany/Switzerland; but ownership comes with very different responsibilities and time horizons over there. I'm usually quite sceptical of cultural arguments; but check out any article on the Mittelstand. I'm not saying Liebherr/Cortese feel remotely the same about us; but its naive to think the world marches vacuously and mechanically to the same beat.

Some businesses do, some dont. I've done quite a bit of work on why family/medium-sized businesses don't grow in this country compared to say Germany -and many struggle because they are reluctant to surrender control or have their equity diluted. They would rather go to the dogs than sell up even its only partially and in their own interests. That's why the CBI is calling the government to set up a bond market for mid caps so that firms dont have to sell up while securing the capital they need to expand. I agree many British companies, especially PLCs controlled by institutional investors, don't have those qualms but they're not the only show in town.

Liebherr has a very different understanding of ownership - maybe there is something funny in the water in Germany/Switzerland; but ownership comes with very different responsibilities and time horizons over there. I'm usually quite sceptical of cultural arguments; but check out any article on the Mittelstand. I'm not saying Liebherr/Cortese feel remotely the same about us; but its naive to think the world marches vacuously and mechanically to the same beat.

It's true that the Leibherrs (and or Cortese) may have higher standards than exist in 'markets' per se and I accept the world beats to different drums. But it's not easy to judge a buyer's 'worthiness' in this day and age. And once sold, there is no mechanism to my knowledge by which you can retain any standards of ownership - unless you retain some owenrship %. Worse, friends quickly become enemies (Iraq, Libya) and how is it possible to judge a buyer's long term commitment, aspirations or standards??

We are blessed with our current ownership. Long may it continue. But we cannot legislate and should not expect always to be so lucky.

Hey, I haven't finished my bathroom conversion and Garage conversion, but i'm going to sell my house to someone NOW on the premise that when it is finished the price of the house will be 25k more. Then i'll move on somewhere else, as this is the way forward.

What a load of old bull crap. Too many people making rumours for rumours sake and the more you say it, the more it must be true. As the oweners and Chairmen are green and cabbage looking I wouldn't them to do something as professional and business like, such as sell an established Prem League team for 100 million, but to look to sell a relegation fodder Prem team for £ 75 million. That is what I would do, but having brains full of concrete, what do I know of the world of business.

It's true that the Leibherrs (and or Cortese) may have higher standards than exist in 'markets' per se and I accept the world beats to different drums. But it's not easy to judge a buyer's 'worthiness' in this day and age. And once sold, there is no mechanism to my knowledge by which you can retain any standards of ownership - unless you retain some owenrship %. Worse, friends quickly become enemies (Iraq, Libya) and how is it possible to judge a buyer's long term commitment, aspirations or standards??

We are blessed with our current ownership. Long may it continue. But we cannot legislate and should not expect always to be so lucky.

No- I totally agree. There are no guarantees about any owners motivations -and they're a mixed bag.

I'm not sure what the Leibherr family makes of us; but even assuming they want to exit, I'm pretty confident that they wouldn't just sell to anyone, even if there is a mouthwatering bid on the table. I take as much confidence from their likely exit strategy as any vague, unenforceable assurance that they'll never sell and are in it for the long haul.

FWIW, even if the Leibherrs want to get out, i dont think it will happen overnight. I think they'll adopt a gradual approach like Arsenal and sell off small stakes.

Edited by shurlock

Ask him what his source is - given this rumour has been doing the rounds for ages, he does realise he might just be another pliable chump to fall for horsesh*t and think he's landed on a scoop?

Why bother, it's so obvious he has his pants round his ankles, adopted the thrust position and trying to squeeze one out. How many other authors would try and justify their authenticity of the article with? Southampton did not deny that senior officials are in talks to sell the club when contacted by Goal.com, although a spokesman refused to comment publicly.Or does he believe that Saints respond fully and immediately to these type of questions? That is such a lame and amateurish paragraph, such to render the remainder of the article valueless.

Looking at what has actually been said by Cortese gives a slightly different slant to the interpretations being made (courtesy of the SwissRambler. )

There has been some speculation that others might want to invest in Southampton now that their prospects have improved, but Cortese has firmly stated that “the club is not for sale.” He also maintained that Liebherr’s death would not derail their plans, “Nothing has changed. This is a long-term project. This was never a financial transaction. It was done with the strong belief that we can achieve something here which is going to be special.” This would be reinforced if the owners were to convert their loans into equity, as Mansour has done at Manchester City, but to date they have lived up to their promises. In any case, Cortese says that there would be other options if the Liebherr family decided to exit stage left, “If there's any lack of commitment, we have a plan B. I know people with money who would have the same attitude as Markus who would join us on this. But, just to underline, the commitment of the family is 100%.”

These are the only comments on record I know of from all the parties involved and all everyone has seen is distortions and interpretations of these comments. Starting with "This was never a financial transaction" how can anyone read into this that the prime objective here is to sell at a point to maximise profit?

Secondly the situation with Cortese and the Liebherr family as to how the project goes forward.

Cortese says that there would be other options if the Liebherr family decided to exit stage left, “If there's any lack of commitment, we have a plan B. I know people with money who would have the same attitude as Markus who would join us on this. But, just to underline, the commitment of the family is 100%.”

It's very difficult considering all these comments to not conclude there is a case of no smoke without fire, otherwise it is very odd for Cortese to throw this in. What I do find interesting is that Cortese terms that as a lack of commitment, not selling out, combined with other options. This strongly suggests that finance for a major project such as the stadium may be sourced else where should the Liebherrs decide not to do so.

Why bother, it's so obvious he has his pants round his ankles, adopted the thrust position and trying to squeeze one out. How many other authors would try and justify their authenticity of the article with? Southampton did not deny that senior officials are in talks to sell the club when contacted by Goal.com, although a spokesman refused to comment publicly.Or does he believe that Saints respond fully and immediately to these type of questions? That is such a lame and amateurish paragraph, such to render the remainder of the article valueless.

Looking at what has actually been said by Cortese gives a slightly different slant to the interpretations being made (courtesy of the SwissRambler. )

These are the only comments on record I know of from all the parties involved and all everyone has seen is distortions and interpretations of these comments. Starting with "This was never a financial transaction" how can anyone read into this that the prime objective here is to sell at a point to maximise profit?

Secondly the situation with Cortese and the Liebherr family as to how the project goes forward.

It's very difficult considering all these comments to not conclude there is a case of no smoke without fire, otherwise it is very odd for Cortese to throw this in. What I do find interesting is that Cortese terms that as a lack of commitment, not selling out, combined with other options. This strongly suggests that finance for a major project such as the stadium may be sourced else where should the Liebherrs decide not to do so.

I think that your conclusion is very odd here - I read that as meaning that Cortese was aware of the rumours but there was no credence to them.

This was Markus's dream, according to Nicola. And he talks about the family honouring his commitment. In five weeks time they might well sit back and consider the commitment honoured. The five year plan has been delivered. Poor old Markus popping his cloggs changes everything, just as would the death of Abramovic. Unless someone can show me all the pictures of the widow Liebherr and her children turning up every other Saturday?

That's nothing against them, and for all I know they might be bigger Saints fans than Mick Channon, Steve Moran and Ed Chamberlain rolled into one. I'm as grateful to them for not selling us yet as I am to Markus for buying us.

But let's get a sense of perspective. Dad bought a football club on the advice of his banker mate. It gave him some fun and something to do.

As for Nicola, different story. He may well have a vision to turn us into the new Barcelona and Markus was Plan A to acheive it. And now he has a Plan B for when he needs it. That's fine.

Has anyone heard any rumours about the Itchen Riverside project ?

No3 in the following plan VIP projects.

http://www.southampton.gov.uk/s-environment/future/ccplans/vipproj/

It runs from the Itchen bridge to St Marys.

The only details are here

http://www.southampton.gov.uk/s-environment/future/ccplans/vipproj/itchen-riverside.aspx

]...is already the subject of developer proposals.

The proposals could see a new waterside community created with leisure uses possibly including a real-snow ski centre.

[/i]

Is this what all that stupid talk of a takeover of the club ( ? £25M for £33M of shares !?) was really about ?

Has anyone heard any rumours about the Itchen Riverside project ?

No3 in the following plan VIP projects.

http://www.southampton.gov.uk/s-environment/future/ccplans/vipproj/

It runs from the Itchen bridge to St Marys.

The only details are here

http://www.southampton.gov.uk/s-environment/future/ccplans/vipproj/itchen-riverside.aspx

]...is already the subject of developer proposals.

The proposals could see a new waterside community created with leisure uses possibly including a real-snow ski centre.

[/i]

Is this what all that stupid talk of a takeover of the club ( ? £25M for £33M of shares !?) was really about ?

There have been rumours about a snow dome there for years now; I'd be utterly amazed if it happened. Indoor ski centres have their peak times on Saturdays; as does St Mary's. Traffic chaos, closed roads etc mean that it must be the least viable location in the whole city for such a venture.

Why would they sell?

Because the owner lives in Switzerland and is reportedly not really interested in football or owning the club?

Because we are probably at the position of maximising the return on the money that has been spent out?

Because maybe NC has fulfilled his friend's dream, maybe he doesn't want to spend any more time in football (or in England?), and maybe he is in-line for 20% of the selling price?

None of these are reasons that the club will be sold today or tomorrow but I thought it was a well-written and balanced piece and to say 'why would we sell?' is surely to put one's head in the sand. There are three big reasons why we could be sold if the price is right.

Reportedly? Where was this report? I hope you are not baseing that statement on stuff from this board.

• 7 years later...

I believe Ratcliffe is an exiled manc and supports United. Seems just because he's very rich and now lives within 20 miles of St Mary's that he ever got linked to buying us, in reality, very likely he was never interested.

What is interesting when these old threads suddenly get pulled up is all the posters that used to be on here all the time but now only rarely or never post any more. It's a very slow board compared to a few years back.

I believe Ratcliffe is an exiled manc and supports United. Seems just because he's very rich and now lives within 20 miles of St Mary's that he ever got linked to buying us, in reality, very likely he was never interested.

What is interesting when these old threads suddenly get pulled up is all the posters that used to be on here all the time but now only rarely or never post any more. It's a very slow board compared to a few years back.

Yep. Too many tiresome, humourless gimps on here now. I'm only here for the pussy.

Lots of good posters who don’t bother anymore and you can see why, yes?