Grand National

SuperMikey

This Saturday at 4.15.

Anyone laid their bets on yet? I'm heading down to the bookies tomorrow to get mine on. Going to have a few quid each on the following:

West End Rocker

Cappa Bleu

On His Own

Always Waining

Treacle

Killyglen

Any tips?

Best to wait until the day of the race - the odds will be better as the bookies will all be looking to outdo each other on the day. Take the best early price available and/or link with the special offers - paying 5 places, money back etc. Worst thing to do is to leave your bet at SP (starting price). Most of the online bookies will pay the SP anyway if the price you take is less.

Have backed cappa blue and Killyglen on betfair at 30/1 and 50/1,Saints beat Reading on Friday one of these two wins on Saturday = SERENDIPITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't ever go too big on anything in the National - it's too much of a lottery as the field is so great - form horses can get taken down too easily as they're so congested going over fences & you also have problems with loose horses. Treat it as a bit of fun.

This Saturday at 4.15.

Anyone laid their bets on yet? I'm heading down to the bookies tomorrow to get mine on. Going to have a few quid each on the following:

West End Rocker

Cappa Bleu

On His Own

Always Waining

Treacle

Killyglen

Any tips?

Surely by betting on so many horses in one race, and each way what is more, you are pretty much guaranteed to lose overall even if one of them actually wins? Why not cut out the middle man and just give the cash away?

Best to wait until the day of the race - the odds will be better as the bookies will all be looking to outdo each other on the day. Take the best early price available and/or link with the special offers - paying 5 places, money back etc. Worst thing to do is to leave your bet at SP (starting price). Most of the online bookies will pay the SP anyway if the price you take is less.

Thanks for the advice, going to wait a few days to place my bets now. Always Waining withdrew from the 40 this morning, so i'm down to 5 horses (£1 each e/w).

I'll be there, been every year since '99 with my old pals from Liverpool Uni. I've somehow managed to back the winner 5 times in the last 12 years, despite knowing bugger-all about horse racing! :?

My tip for this year is... back the winner! :smug:

As Cheltenham thread readers know, I can't bet on horses for shizzle, although I did OK this year TBF, but for the National I'm going for On His Own to win, and a cheeky each way on Calgary Bay.

I'm looking for a third horse, but I'm not sure which yet. Tempted by Shakalakaboomboom, which has got good form over fences, or Seabass, which has won all of it's recent races, and could be the first time a woman rider wins the National.

Oh what a surprise... another two horses dead after this year's race. But hey, it doesn't matter because a few people have won a few quid having had a lovely day drinking bubbly :cry:

A footballer died in Italy this afternoon - should we think about banning that ?

Sadly, horses can be killed at any of the National Hunt courses, plus any cross country, point to point, or local hunt meets. Richard Pitman was telling a story on R5 on Thursday about one of Ginger McCain's horses that died on a training run on Southport beach. Should horse riding as a concept be stopped ? Ironically there is a line of thought that says because they have made the Aintree course 'easier' it will make for more tragedies, as owners and trainers will be tempted to enter horses that really shouldn't be considered.

I have held the head of one of my daughter's ponies as it was put to sleep, due to serious illness. All the owners trainers and jockeys in racing feel affection for their horses, but beleive that they enjoy what they do. You wouldn't put something you love through that it you felt otherwise, and 3/4 of a ton of highly tuned muscle won't go where it doesn't want to.

Oh what a surprise... another two horses dead after this year's race. But hey, it doesn't matter because a few people have won a few quid having had a lovely day drinking bubbly :cry:

Without racing, these horses just plain wouldn't exist. Personally I'd rather be shot than never have been born.

Still sad though.

A footballer died in Italy this afternoon - should we think about banning that ?

Sadly, horses can be killed at any of the National Hunt courses, plus any cross country, point to point, or local hunt meets. Richard Pitman was telling a story on R5 on Thursday about one of Ginger McCain's horses that died on a training run on Southport beach. Should horse riding as a concept be stopped ? Ironically there is a line of thought that says because they have made the Aintree course 'easier' it will make for more tragedies, as owners and trainers will be tempted to enter horses that really shouldn't be considered.

I have held the head of one of my daughter's ponies as it was put to sleep, due to serious illness. All the owners trainers and jockeys in racing feel affection for their horses, but beleive that they enjoy what they do. You wouldn't put something you love through that it you felt otherwise, and 3/4 of a ton of highly tuned muscle won't go where it doesn't want to.

They could make it much safer though. For starters they could move some of those f*ck off great big fences out the way before making them run round.

Horses generally love racing. The ones that don't are no good.

"Excuse me mr horse, I want to ride you in a race today where there is a decent chance you will end up getting shot. What do you say to that?"

Imagine if you could actually ask them that... how many do you think would agree?

Horses generally love racing. The ones that don't are no good.

There's a bit of a difference between an animal enjoying running and knowing the risks involved in a grand national style race.

I'm pretty sure they are not aware that a fracture in their leg means a bullet in the head.

The ones that are good enough to race are the lucky ones. To use a football analogy, many are taken on as youngsters and released if they are not good enough - the difference being that released footballers generally don't end up as tea for the local hunt's hounds.

Sadly the Walt Disney world of talking horses doesn't exist, so we humans make their decisions for them,

I can promise you that there would have been a lot of tears today from the connections of those horses. If you are really concerned about animal welfare you should think more about where your burgers come from.

Erm do the foxes that get chased by knob heads in red regalia on horseback get a choice? No, but thats ok apparently - did the hunt leader say to the horse "good morning Mr Ed, fancy me riding you today while we lead a pack of blood hounds to rip apart a few foxes"

I can promise you that there would have been a lot of tears today from the connections of those horses. If you are really concerned about animal welfare you should think more about where your burgers come from.

What makes you assume I don't already?

I have no doubt those horses trainers / handlers will be upset this evening, maybe it will even make them think twice about entering their horses into it in the future but I won't hold my breath because I know that money talks and some people make millions from horseracing. It's not just the grand national I object to, its the 'industry' in general.

What makes you assume I don't already?

I have no doubt those horses trainers / handlers will be upset this evening, maybe it will even make them think twice about entering their horses into it in the future but I won't hold my breath because I know that money talks and some people make millions from horseracing. It's not just the grand national I object to, its the 'industry' in general.

This reply is not from Jill, but her husband, who has forgotten his log in details, anyway here we go.....

Very few people make millions from horseracing industry especially in relation to NH season, if there are millions to be made from the industry it may in fact be in the flat season but only in relation to stud fees for a black type race winner, and it should also maybe be remembered that a horse called Rewilding at to be put down at Royal Ascot on the flat last year due to splitting a pastern bone, and also in the Grand National meeting on Friday I beleive a horse had to be put down after suffering an injury in a hurdle race, the injury was incurred between fences, so to suggest that modifying fences would result in less/zero injuries is false.

The history of horseracing is centuries old, based on the old 'match' racing concept of 2 owners having horses and having a contest on whose horse was quickest, based at Newmarket racecourse, and this will in effect never end.

To suggest that owners/trainers/jockeys are not in any way concerned about the death of a horse in their care is a spurious argument, made obvious if you ever read any articles/books by people such as Paul Nicholls/Ruby Walsh/Jenny Pitman/Peter O'Sullevan to name a few.

The owner of todays Grand National had always been reluctant/resistant to running any of his horses in the National due to the admitted increased risk of injury in the race, so that in itself belies the argument of people making millions from the sport, I would assume he let his horse take his chance on the day for what in effect it was 'bred to do'.

and Synchronised jumped about another 5 fences after AP fell off. Nobody made the horse do that.

This. But none of them will want to discuss that because it is yet more proof that race horses (that are only alive because of races like this) do in fact enjoy jumping and racing...