The Hobbit

alpine_saint

This is going to be great, the LOTR feeling with this trailer is still there :

Looking forward to Jackson finishing these off and getting back to the Dambusters remake.

You do know it's not real, and for small children to get excited over?

I always had you down for a 'Lord of the Rings' man.

You do know it's not real, and for small children to get excited over?

I always had you down for a 'Lord of the Rings' man.

you can put me down as a "Lord of the Rings " man as well.

i'm no small child & i'm getting excited about this movie already even though i realise it's not real. loved reading the books & i'm looking forward to reading them with my son soon.

did you try reading them Dog ?

you can put me down as a "Lord of the Rings " man as well.

i'm no small child & i'm getting excited about this movie already even though i realise it's not real. loved reading the books & i'm looking forward to reading them with my son soon.

did you try reading them Dog ?

I did read a bit of the Hobbit, got to about page 12 then binned it as it was a load of old poop.

I will concede that the books are hard work.

The LOTR books are a good read, The Hobbit however is a bit of a dumbed down nightmare! I forced myself to read it a year or two ago and I can't really say it was worth the effort. Still, really looking forward to the film.

The LOTR books are a good read, The Hobbit however is a bit of a dumbed down nightmare! I forced myself to read it a year or two ago and I can't really say it was worth the effort. Still, really looking forward to the film.

Well it was written as a childrens book about 15-20 years before LOTR ;)

• 1 month later...

This is a subject which Polarises men. Just like whether Bat Out Of Hell , terrible terrible album.

I am not knockin lotr as I don't like any films really, even the ones I say I like I don't really like, that is why I always say grease and the elephant man.

• 1 month later...
I know. Risky.

They'll show pieces from the appendices. Not fully sure how they'll do it.

i think they are going to change the structure of the 2 films slightly, so that the 2 films already shot are shorter. doing this & filming the extra material should be enough for the trilogy, as normally loads of scenes are left out of the theatrical cut anyway.may make the usual extended version obsolete though?

really glad they are doing this as it reflects what Tolkien did with the book by adding to it with the appendices.

when they finish,maybe they could make a start on the Silmarilion ! :D

How the hell does he have enough material to get three movies out of one child's book?

Once the extended versions of the Lord of the Rings Trilogy were released, you could have argued that it could have been made into 4 or 5 films in terms of conventional film length, though of course that would have lost the synchronisation with the books.

I am a bit concerned that the story-telling will get lost in the mass of detail. Jackson did a good job on LOTR (the extended versions run much more smoothly for the non-Tolkien geek), but he needs to be careful not to overdo it.

TBH as much as I am looking forward to it, I would much rather he finished off this project and got back to the Dambusters re-make.

Edited by alpine_saint

• 1 month later...
i think they are going to change the structure of the 2 films slightly, so that the 2 films already shot are shorter. doing this & filming the extra material should be enough for the trilogy, as normally loads of scenes are left out of the theatrical cut anyway.may make the usual extended version obsolete though?

really glad they are doing this as it reflects what Tolkien did with the book by adding to it with the appendices.

when they finish,maybe they could make a start on the Silmarilion ! :D

The Tolkien estate apparently own the rights to that, and they aren't fans of the films...

Very little chance of that happening, I'm afraid.

• 2 weeks later...
The Tolkien estate apparently own the rights to that, and they aren't fans of the films...

Very little chance of that happening, I'm afraid.

Unfortunate. I think the Tolkien estate have been far too stuffy about all this.

Jackson and the films have really tried hard to be faithful to the story, and have generated massive interest in Tolkiens work, which less face it, is the literary equivelent of Marmite (I am not on the "love it" side - I find his books to be rambling over-complicated affairs that distract and detract from a good story idea)