the McCanns

Thedelldays

What they did was wrong, but it wasn't crime of the century and they kept checking on the kids. I admire them for not giving up. The Portuguese police were utterly incompetent in their investigation.

There's absolutely no way I would have left my kids unattended at that age, definitely not to go out drinking. With the sort of money the McCanns had at their disposal, there was absolutely no reason for them to leave their kids alone either.

When my kids were young, we got babysitters whenever we were going out. If we couldn't get/afford a babysitter, we didn't go out.

Irrespective of anything else they may or may not have done, they put their own interests ahead of their kids - with tragic consequences.

There's absolutely no way I would have left my kids unattended at that age, definitely not to go out drinking. With the sort of money the McCanns had at their disposal, there was absolutely no reason for them to leave their kids alone either.

When my kids were young, we got babysitters whenever we were going out. If we couldn't get/afford a babysitter, we didn't go out.

Irrespective of anything else they may or may not have done, they put their own interests ahead of their kids - with tragic consequences.

Yep, I'll go with this.

Its sad Madeline is missing and my views about the Mccanns have not changed. I still believe they have some responsibility in her disappearence. they were intelligent professional people. you just dont leave small children alone. there could have been a fire at the apartment etc etc.

I have know idea if the portugese police were incompetent or not. It just sounds like the Mcanns PR Guru and our media

are constantly on a crusade to discredit the portugese police.

I have never been to portugal by the way

Yep, I'll go with this.

Agreed.

It's not something I've ever done, or will ever do so, in my eyes, they were wrong. However, that's a hell of a price to pay for parents and child.

It's the price which should always be in the back of one's mind, whether well to do or poor, your children's safety should be paramount.

I don't agree with what they did but I'm sure nobody is beating them up more than themselves, they have to face this mistake 24/7.

Here's a thought provoking question. Should we, the public and media, be still beating them up about it?

Agreed.

Here's a thought provoking question. Should we, the public and media, be still beating them up about it?

I think it's them and Max Clifford who keep pushing the story onto the front pages. If they don't want the attention, they should back away from the limelight.

Agreed.

It's the price which should always be in the back of one's mind, whether well to do or poor, your children's safety should be paramount.

I don't agree with what they did but I'm sure nobody is beating them up more than themselves, they have to face this mistake 24/7.

Quite. And no we shouldn't.

In spite of the claims by some on this thread ,it is a rare parent indeed who has never taken a thoughtless risk with their children. Most of us are lucky enough not to suffer such terrible consequences..that's the only real difference.

My wife and I once left our 7 year old son fast asleep in our hotel room, whilst we had dinner in the hotel restaurant. After dinner we strolled out onto the quay next to the hotel, turned round and were horrified to see our son, in his pyjamas and bare footed, trotting towards us in the dark. God knows how he'd found his way there. 18 years or so later I still have that image of our son in my mind. Anything could have happened, from abduction to drowning. But we were lucky. The McCanns weren't.

Are all those condemning the McCanns, really able to say, hand on heart, that they have never left a child asleep, not even for a very short time, in what they thought was a safe environment?

I think it's them and Max Clifford who keep pushing the story onto the front pages. If they don't want the attention, they should back away from the limelight.

They want the attention to help find their daughter. If they 'backed away from the limelight', they'd be giving up on her.

Quite. And no we shouldn't.

In spite of the claims by some on this thread ,it is a rare parent indeed who has never taken a thoughtless risk with their children. Most of us are lucky enough not to suffer such terrible consequences..that's the only real difference.

My wife and I once left our 7 year old son fast asleep in our hotel room, whilst we had dinner in the hotel restaurant. After dinner we strolled out onto the quay next to the hotel, turned round and were horrified to see our son, in his pyjamas and bare footed, trotting towards us in the dark. God knows how he'd found his way there. 18 years or so later I still have that image of our son in my mind. Anything could have happened, from abduction to drowning. But we were lucky. The McCanns weren't.

Are all those condemning the McCanns, really able to say, hand on heart, that they have never left a child asleep, not even for a very short time, in what they thought was a safe environment?

Yep, me. My girls are 6 and nearly 9. It wouldn't cross my mind to leave them in a hotel room whilst I went to dinner. It's just not something that I would ever do, and have never done it. Our holidays are tailored around their ages. When they were younger we'd go self catering and stay in during the evening. We may go out early evening for food, but they'd come with us and eat with us. Nowadays they eat out with us and we don't stay out late.

Kids change your holidays and lifestyle. If you're not prepared to change your lifestyle, don't have kids (I'm not having a go at you by the way, it's just my personal opinion).

Kids change your holidays and lifestyle. If you're not prepared to change your lifestyle, don't have kids (I'm not having a go at you by the way, it's just my personal opinion).

This for me too. In fact it was one of the reasons for my divorce. My ex wanted to make the kids conform to an adults lifestyle and farm the kids out (nursery, breakfast club, after school club, kids club etc) as much as she could.

So much has been written about this case, it will never go away, I think now after a few years it should be left, I doubt the British police can do much now. I guess Max Clifford can

Have a read of this

http://gerrymccan-abuseofpower-humanrights.blogspot.co.uk/

I have a feeling the parents won't agree with that and there's no reason it should ever be left alone. A missing person, is a missing person.

People may be sick of the media attention this case has had but you if you were in their shoes, you'd do the same. More public attention, means more chance of finding her.

Yes, I really am able to say that. I'm a bit flabbergasted that you even have to ask the question.

Yes, I really am able to say that. I'm a bit flabbergasted that you even have to ask the question.

I agree comrade

would you pop over to the saints pub and have a few whilst your 5 year old is fast asleep, alone in the council flats across the road

my guess would be...not a chance in hell

I agree comrade

would you pop over to the saints pub and have a few whilst your 5 year old is fast asleep, alone in the council flats across the road

my guess would be...not a chance in hell

As you know, I grew up on a council estate. I can think of a couple of mothers on the estate who routinely left their kids to fend for themselves while they f**ked off out on the ****, but that is really about it, and they were definitely not well-regarded.

As you know, I grew up on a council estate. I can think of a couple of mothers on the estate who routinely left their kids to fend for themselves while they f**ked off out on the ****, but that is really about it, and they were definitely not well-regarded.

you would wonder if the coverage of all this would have been the same if the couple in question were the jeremey kyle types

How can you think that an unlocked apartment is a safe environment. It obviously wasn't in full view of the restaurant or they would have seen any intruder (if there was one).

Leaving a 4-year old and 2-year old twins on their own is criminal. What was to stop them wandering into the kitchen where there is all sorts of dangers. If it had happened in the UK (and the Daily Mail didn't make them out to be middle-class icons of respectability) they would have faced criminal charges.

Nope never did that,always stayed with them,got a baby-sitter that we knew and could trust or simply took them with us.Been turfed out of some pretty classy restaurants and stuff because the little buggers just wouldn't shut up:rolleyes:

Good parents just do not leave small children unattended at any time,end of discussion.

Anyone remember Butlins in the 70's and 80's I seem to remember you could signup to something where you'd leave your children in your chalet and go enjoy yourselves, the red coats would monitor them, then there would be alerts that flashed up if a child was heard to be crying or needed attention. How many people who done this are now having a go at the McCanns.

Oh and if my child was missing I'd do everything I could to keep the story on the front pages even if it made me look stupid, idiotic, media whore etc so fair play to them for doing it. I'd walk over hot coals to get my child back.

Anyone remember Butlins in the 70's and 80's I seem to remember you could signup to something where you'd leave your children in your chalet and go enjoy yourselves, the red coats would monitor them, then there would be alerts that flashed up if a child was heard to be crying or needed attention. How many people who done this are now having a go at the McCanns.

Oh and if my child was missing I'd do everything I could to keep the story on the front pages even if it made me look stupid, idiotic, media whore etc so fair play to them for doing it. I'd walk over hot coals to get my child back.

The resort they were staying at had child-care facilities. 15 Euros an hour.

We leave our kids asleep in a safe environment every night, in their beds, in their own rooms, but I can honestly say we have NEVER left them unattended whilst going out on the lash.

My kids are now 15 & 11 and we've only just started leaving my eldest "babysitting".

The Mcanns were irresponsible, and to a certain degree culpable, and they are paying a high price for it, but if I was in their situation I'd be doing the same.

Not quite sure what you mean with this, but I would never, ever leave my kids unattended. I wouldn't leave them alone at home and when we're on holiday, once the kids are asleep we wouldn't go further away than to sit on the balcony for a glass of wine. I can't understand how some people put their need to go out above their kids' welfare. You choose to have kids, now you can look after them properly until they're old enough to look after themselves. If you have to give up pubs and restaurants for a few years, fair enough.

Nope. Wouldn't have left my two either. Felt bad enough losing site of them Saturday when we ran on the pitch and they're 13 & 16 now! Wouldn't have even dreamed of popping to the corner shop when they were younger, let alone leaving them on holiday.

You make your choices and accept the risks i'm afraid.

Well, I'm in with the 'never leave them alone, especially when that young' camp. But I do wonder if your kids were napping and you had a biggish garden, say 50 yards, and you were doing some weeding at the end of the garden - how could you be sure they were ok? Fine, I've actually done it, with a baby monitor by my side, but I sus[ect I wouldn't have heard any suspicous sounds over my own breathing, if the kids were going to be taken by demented, careful, arseholes. I think it reallly is a case of shltty luck.

I have a feeling the parents won't agree with that and there's no reason it should ever be left alone. A missing person, is a missing person.

People may be sick of the media attention this case has had but you if you were in their shoes, you'd do the same. More public attention, means more chance of finding her.

I would not of left my kids. "I have 4" in bed while I was on the lash. They should come to terms with their actions.

Well, I'm in with the 'never leave them alone, especially when that young' camp. But I do wonder if your kids were napping and you had a biggish garden, say 50 yards, and you were doing some weeding at the end of the garden - how could you be sure they were ok? Fine, I've actually done it, with a baby monitor by my side, but I sus[ect I wouldn't have heard any suspicous sounds over my own breathing, if the kids were going to be taken by demented, careful, arseholes. I think it reallly is a case of shltty luck.

Or something else entirely.

Let's not forget that the McCanns were suspects in Madeleine's disappearance. Why did Kate McCann refuse to answer 48 questions when prompted by the Portuguese police? How come they've set the likes of Carter Ruck against people who claim they are responsible, notably the chief Portuguese investigator?

Typical of a large section of our society that love to experience schedenfruide (sp) and dig at others in a holier than thou way.

They were guilty of neglect. No one's words on this forum or in "real life" will make them feel any worse/ better than they do now. Fair play to them working so hard to raise money and (therefore) awareness of a abducted young girl. They are doctors, not a council estate couple. Reverse ssnobbery means people revel even more in there misfortune, shortly after there was a case in some sink estate up north where the child "done a runner" for a few days and parallels were being drawn between that and the McCanns. Only for the kid to be found hiding under the uncles bed whilst they tried to make every penny they could out of it.

Whilst penty on here have dug the McCanns out no one has condemned the sick minded scum that stole a 7 year old girl from her Holiday apartment. That/ those individual(s) are where my anger is focused.

Dont say a word kate.

43. In the case files you were SHOWN CANINE forensic testing films, where you can see them marking due to detection of the scent of human corpse and blood traces, also human, and only human, as well as all the comments of the technician in charge of them. After watching and after the marking of the scent of corpse in your bedroom beside the wardrobe and behind the sofa, pushed up against the sofa wall, did you say you couldn’t explain any more than you already had?

44. When the sniffer dog also marked human blood behind the sofa, did you say you couldn’t explain any more than you already had?

45. When the sniffer dog marked the scent of corpse coming from the vehicle you hired a month after the disappearance, did you say you couldn’t explain any more than you already had?

46. When human blood was marked in the boot of the vehicle, did you say you couldn’t explain any more than you already had?

47. When confronted with the results of Maddie’s DNA, whose analysis was carried out in a British laboratory, collected from behind the sofa and the boot of the vehicle, did you say you couldn’t explain any more than you already had?

48. Did you have

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1041635/The-48-questions-Kate-McCann-wouldnt-answer--did.html#ixzz1toXszsFt

Typical of a large section of our society that love to experience schedenfruide (sp) and dig at others in a holier than thou way.

They were guilty of neglect. No one's words on this forum or in "real life" will make them feel any worse/ better than they do now. Fair play to them working so hard to raise money and (therefore) awareness of a abducted young girl. They are doctors, not a council estate couple. Reverse ssnobbery means people revel even more in there misfortune, shortly after there was a case in some sink estate up north where the child "done a runner" for a few days and parallels were being drawn between that and the McCanns. Only for the kid to be found hiding under the uncles bed whilst they tried to make every penny they could out of it.

Whilst penty on here have dug the McCanns out no one has condemned the sick minded scum that stole a 7 year old girl from her Holiday apartment. That/ those individual(s) are where my anger is focused.

It's not holier than thou. It's called common sense.

Would you leave 3 kids under the age of 4 alone while you were out eating/drinking with friends? Especially if you have loads of other options?

Yep, me. My girls are 6 and nearly 9. It wouldn't cross my mind to leave them in a hotel room whilst I went to dinner. It's just not something that I would ever do, and have never done it. Our holidays are tailored around their ages. When they were younger we'd go self catering and stay in during the evening. We may go out early evening for food, but they'd come with us and eat with us. Nowadays they eat out with us and we don't stay out late.

Absolutely agree with this. After the final whistle on Saturday I grabbed my daughters hand and we walked all the way across the pitch from the Kingsland to the Northam to find my brother, I was not going to let go. And she's 13.

It's not holier than thou. It's called common sense.

Would you leave 3 kids under the age of 4 alone while you were out eating/drinking with friends? Especially if you have loads of other options?

Uhm... I dont think anyone really disagrees that what they did was wrong, stupid, selfish etc.... but no one deserves the 'punishment' they are getting for their mistake. To be honest, I doubt there is any thing we, the media could say about them, or any other punichment that could be worse or make them feel any worse...

Uhm... I dont think anyone really disagrees that what they did was wrong' date=' stupid, selfish etc.... but no one deserves the 'punishment' they are getting for their mistake. To be honest, I doubt there is any thing we, the media could say about them, or any other punichment that could be worse or make them feel any worse...[/quote']

With all due respect, we don't even know that Madeleine was abducted. It's a working hypothesis based on the premise that the McCann's know nothing about their daughter's disappearance. Nothing has been proved either way.

With all due respect, we don't even know that Madeleine was abducted. It's a working hypothesis based on the premise that the McCann's know nothing about their daughter's disappearance. Nothing has been proved either way.

Quite. Each year 50 are killed by their parents, 10 in falling from balconies / windows, another 30 drown in the bath. An average of one every two years are kidnapped by strangers.

Yes, that's the heart of the matter. My thoughts go to the poor little girl.

It was no more than a feeling, and I can usually read people's behaviour, but my reaction at the time was 'they know more than they are letting on'.

This is obviously a sensitive subject and people need to tread carefully. What happened to the McCanns was horrific and nobody deserve what they are going through. Lets just hope and pray that she was "taken" by a childless couple and is being cared for, and is not suffering.

That said, they must take some responsibility for what happened. We have 4 children and at no time have any of them been left alone until they reached about 13. We have had family holidays since my oldest was 6 months old, and if we wanted to go out, we took them with us. In fact, Mrs Duck would not be able to enjoy herself and relax, knowing that the kids were alone. Had I even suggested it, there would have been a massive row and I'm pretty sure she would speak out if friends of ours did it. It is just not done.

Because they are middle class professional people and as pointed out earlier, she's a bit of a MILF. They have become the media darlings. Had it been a single Mum from Liverpool, she would be in hiding by now and more than likely had the other kids taken away by Social Services. If Maddie is found, they'll have to face her and answer the question "why did you leave me alone".

I dont accept that they had anything to do with it, mainly because there is no body or eveidence. These were not professional hit man, who could dispose of evidence. I'm pretty sure that had there been a terrible accident, then they would not have been able to cover their tracks. Even the bodged police investigation would have turned up something.

If my parents were ever both out of the house for more than 20 minutes at night when my brothers and I were younger, they would always get a neighbour or babysitter to watch us. That carried on until I was around 14, at which point they allowed me to be responsible, knowing that our neighbours next door were there if we needed anything. Most parents would do the same, I certainly would as well.

Obviously I feel sympathetic towards the McCanns, it's a horrible situation for anyone to be in. However, their daughter's disappearance was through their own fault. There were simple steps they could've taken to prevent this happening, which they failed to do. Both as qualified doctors, you would hope they had a little more sense than to leave their 3 very young children unattended in a hotel room while they went across the street to have dinner.

I find now that my sympathy is starting to wane, purely on the basis that plenty of children go missing or are abducted every year, and I think the coverage of this case has been particularly disproportionate. I agree with the point that if they hadn't been a well-educated, professional couple that they wouldn't have had the access to such relentless media coverage. I respect that they are still endeavouring to find their daughter, but I resent that the media (particularly papers like The Express) are using this situation for financial gain, and have been doing so ever since Madeleine disappeared.

This is obviously a sensitive subject and people need to tread carefully. What happened to the McCanns was horrific and nobody deserve what they are going through. Lets just hope and pray that she was "taken" by a childless couple and is being cared for, and is not suffering.

That said, they must take some responsibility for what happened. We have 4 children and at no time have any of them been left alone until they reached about 13. We have had family holidays since my oldest was 6 months old, and if we wanted to go out, we took them with us. In fact, Mrs Duck would not be able to enjoy herself and relax, knowing that the kids were alone. Had I even suggested it, there would have been a massive row and I'm pretty sure she would speak out if friends of ours did it. It is just not done.

Because they are middle class professional people and as pointed out earlier, she's a bit of a MILF. They have become the media darlings. Had it been a single Mum from Liverpool, she would be in hiding by now and more than likely had the other kids taken away by Social Services. If Maddie is found, they'll have to face her and answer the question "why did you leave me alone".

I dont accept that they had anything to do with it, mainly because there is no body or eveidence. These were not professional hit man, who could dispose of evidence. I'm pretty sure that had there been a terrible accident, then they would not have been able to cover their tracks. Even the bodged police investigation would have turned up something.

A single mum from Dewsbury had a huge amount of media sympathy and financial support when her daughter, Shannon Matthews, went missing. Unfortunately for her and anti McCann class snobbery everywhere she turned out to be an absolute wrongun and hid her kid away to generate sympathy and money.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kidnapping_of_Shannon_Matthews

The only thing more disgusting than doing that is actually abducting a child, which some sick f***er actually did to the McCann's daughter. The fact some on here want their sick, morbid, schadenfruedian (sp) suspicions confirmed by the killer fact that during 11 hours of interviews Kate McCann excersized her democratic right to no comment a full 43 times, just repulses me. Lock her up and throw away the key eh.... Forget innocent til proven guilty, don't like the look of them, they have no heart, bad parents, middle class spoilt brats etc etc.

Once again, does anyone want to condemn the sick pervert that stole a child from her Hotel room? Or would that be admtting the McCanns actually do have a reason to keep this in the news like any normal parent with a heart?

Once again, does anyone want to condemn the sick pervert that stole a child from her Hotel room? Or would that be admtting the McCanns actually do have a reason to keep this in the news like any normal parent with a heart?

Is there any proof that a sick pervert stole a child from a hotel room?

I agree with the rest of this, but they take all of the responsibility for their actions in leaving the children alone. They could be considered lucky that the twins weren't taken too.