Being interviewed by a pompey fan?

sfc1976

Got an interview soon and found out that the Chief Exec is a Portsmouth fan, he makes quite a play of it on his personal profile on the company website. The role is sports related so I know my footballing priorities will come up. Has anyone had any experience of this? I obviously want the job, so is it better to keep it quiet? I know it would be ridiculously unprofessional not to hire me just because of that but you never know, if it came down to me and one other candidate etc...

I wouldn't be so sure fella. Where is the job based, if it's PO post code I'd consider saying you follow Eastleigh or sommit(makes you look like a "proper" football fan rather than a glory hunter.

Only reason I say this is bacause I used to work with a skate (in London, just my luck eh), during their golden years and our admin he gave me pelters, actually called it on with him at a works do once after an evening of him constantly going on and on - I just about managed to avoid disciplinarary over it. Anyway, I eventually became his boss. Despite his a*** licking I made work a nightmare for him, forensically going through his expenses, passing him over for jollies to Wembley, O2, overseas etc. Eventually he asked to be moved teams but I made it clear to our director he was a wrongun and his card should be marked. He left in the end. To be fair he wasn't brilliant at his job otherwise I'd have made an exception.

Harsh but petty things like that happen in the workplace. I'd play it with a straight bat until you get your foot in the door. Either that or invent a girlfriend/ family member that's a skate and say how you "banter" all the time about it.

If he is professional and focused on whats best for the business (as a CEO he should be) your SFC alleigience should not matter, if he is not you should ask whether you want to work for someone who can allow his football alleigience to influence the way he does business.

I work with a few skates, and one was my boss. We just have pretty good natured 'banter' (I hate that word!), and it doesn't get in the way of work.

As an aside, I had the snip a couple of years back and asked at the pre op if I would be OK to go to football the day after the procedure. The doctor said he couldn't see a problem, then asked who I supported. When I said Saints, he looked at me, smiled, took a sip from his till then hidden Pompey mug and said "Well, sometimes there are complications...."

When I had the actual snip done, he kept on saying how he was enjoying making sure there were no more little scummers going to be running around the place, and what fun it was mangling a scummers balls.

I had an interview for a job a few years back, it turned out the family company is huge on their catholicism.

He asked me straight out if I was a catholic.

I took about a second to gather myself after the shock that he thought it should be somehow relevant before telling him I was an atheist. That was pretty much the end of the interview. Neither of us wanted each other and we both went happily on our ways.

If it's an issue at the interview, it will be an issue during at any time during the employment, so why worry about the truth?

You should turn it into a plus point. As a CEO he is highly unlikely to a rabid 'all Saints fans are scum' type, especially if the company is sports related in its business. Announce it proudly, be friendly, talk about some of the great derby matches, say something sympathetic abourt their crisis. It will help to distinguish you from many of the other faceless candidates.

Cheers for the responses. Decided I'm not going to hide it, and I'll report back if it turns into a nightmare interview. Should be some comedy value if nothing else! If he turns into a complete ***t I think I'll ask him to payback my transport costs for getting there, and that I won't accept 10p in the pound or whatever the next CVA will be!

Cheers for the responses. Decided I'm not going to hide it, and I'll report back if it turns into a nightmare interview. Should be some comedy value if nothing else! If he turns into a complete ***t I think I'll ask him to payback my transport costs for getting there, and that I won't accept 10p in the pound or whatever the next CVA will be!

Also suggest that if there will be any problems raising the funds to cover the travel, he could always consider robbing from a charity...

I would find it very hard to work for a skate I'm afraid, let alone work in a PO postcode for one. There are other opportunities out there. Tell him you've read his profile and you've decided not to work for such a filthy inbred skate ****. It's one thing having banter with a skate colleague, so long as he realises he is inferior in every way. But working for one, well you will never know until you are in the job how much he'll hold it against you, and I certainly couldn't stand rejection from a Skate either. Stay clear

I got a job working for Goodmans in the early 90s and actually had a great time. Goodmans sponsored Portsmuff at the time and it was the season they got to the semis so they were all pretty boisterous about it. Was about the only person in the warehouse who didn't go!!!! (remember seeing the Portsmuff sponsorship deal and it was something pitiful at the time).

Ripped the **** out of them after they all got in late after their penalty shoot out, and ripped them even further when Leicster beat them in the play offs the following year. Took that one a bit far though and remember playing footy for them at Front Lawn, Havant with a Walkers crisp bag taped to my kit. Team mates ok about it, but the locals weren't!!!!!!

I think it helped that were in our shadow at the time, so considering our respective fates this season then I think you'll be fone