Luke McCormick

jjsaint

I personally think that if he had any remorse he would take a job out of the public eye for the sake of the family. The 3.5 years didn't surprise me as the Government doesn't seem to consider manslaughter a serious crime.

Its not just insulting to the Peak family, its insulting to us all.

Football morals hit a new low. Swindon should be utterly ashamed of themselves. I personally reckon this c**t doesnt give a sh*t about what hes done.

Under 4 years ? Its like having a bad string of injury. He killed two kids and put their dad in a wheelchair for the rest of his life, FFS.

Hmm, this is all a bit hysterical. I also think that the sentence was too short, but that's a different matter (I've got very strong opinions about drink-driving).

But he didn't set the tariff; he has served his sentence and is now going back in to society to get a job (the one he's trained to do) and be rehabilitated into society. Isn't that what the penal system is for?

I personally reckon this c**t doesnt give a sh*t about what hes done.

How can you possibly have a basis for an opinion about that? He may not care at all. Or he may have spent every day of his sentence in tears of repentence. Unless you know any of the parties then you're guessing, and yet you're using it to whip yourself up into fury.

All accidents caused by drink driving or dangerous driving carry far too short sentences,especially when they are halved for good behaviour.The poor family losing the two young boys have a permanent life sentence,will Luke McCormick?

As an asside a really nice guy from Plymouth [ I met a few times last year ] told me the real reasons behind the accident. McCormicks wife was a bouncer in a Plymouth night club and Luke McCormick was sent a text by a mate,to say that she was messing around with another guy. The rest unfortunately is history,for that poor family.

Fine to judge so long as you've never driven while over the limit yourself, otherwise the only difference is luck.

I'd have thought a longer sentence than that. Still, he's a footballer, I don't blame him for trying to keep being a footballer afterwards. Whatever he's done, what choice but to get on with life.

Suggesting you don't think someone gives a **** about what they've done? Bewildering stupid. Well, emotive to the point of losing all reason, so stupidity from a good place you might say. It's very tough with accidents. The obvious people get all self righteous but to really believe he doesn't give a sh1t? They make it sound like he's deliberately murdered people. In fact they seem to want him to give up any semblance of life himself. Maybe he is a ****, I don't know him, but being so black and white about accidents isn't much help.

So many young idiots, and many footballers get done for drink driving, dangerous driving and so on, without harming anyone. The difference is purely luck. It's exactly the same action with difference consequences.

I worry about some posters who revel in getting so furious about these things. They see a story about kids dying and immediately want almost biblical retribution. Any rational person must know tens of thousands of children die every day, awful things happen, and with modern media you could find awful news every day if you so wanted. Does it help whipping yourself up into an emotive mess? It comes across as very bad for the blood pressure, and even worse for any rational conversation.

But it won't stop the relentlessly ill-informed 'reckon' and desire for further punishment. I wouldn't want my club to sign him, largely due to the hysteria around it and the negative attention it would bring. Anyway, as I say, judge away, just make sure you haven't done anything stupid and been lucky enough to get away with it. I've never driven over the limit, on drugs or anything, but probably have fiddled with the radio or phone or something, which is all it takes.

Yes, adrian, and I worry about posters who try to stand up for complete scum and try to explain their actions like they are some sort of f**king victim.

And the bit you wrote that I've highlighted is just plain f**king bizarre. It seems to be saying he was unlucky in some way.

Yes, adrian, and I worry about posters who try to stand up for complete scum and try to explain their actions like they are some sort of f**king victim.

Where has that happened? You do love a straw man argument, don't you...

A mans got to work. Whilst I'm in no way condoning what he did or the how long the length of his sentance was he's served his sentance. Or are you saying no one the ever goes to prison should ever work again?

I also think he deserves a longer penalty, although I doubt it will make any difference to the family of the victims. 3.5 years, 10 years, life... nothing is going to bring their children back to life. Don't see why he shouldn't go back to playing football either, ruining his own life wont achieve anything.

That's the problem with getting behind the wheel drunk and killing people. NOTHING anyone can do will ever bring them back.

There is a balance with all crimes in terms of punishment/rehabilitation. You can't keep every prisoner banged up forever so at some point the vast majority will be released back into society, part of the process of being in prison is to rehabilitate the offender so that when they come out they can re-integrate and become a useful, productive, tax paying, law abiding member of society. The alternative is they come out of prison and either commit more crimes or just generally don't contribute and thus becoming a burden on the state and us as taxpayers. So which would people prefer? I'd prefer they contributed something. If Mccormick was left in prison for 20 years what good would that do? It won't bring those boys back and when he eventually came out he'd be far less likely to be of any use to society.

There is a balance with all crimes in terms of punishment/rehabilitation. You can't keep every prisoner banged up forever so at some point the vast majority will be released back into society, part of the process of being in prison is to rehabilitate the offender so that when they come out they can re-integrate and become a useful, productive, tax paying, law abiding member of society. The alternative is they come out of prison and either commit more crimes or just generally don't contribute and thus becoming a burden on the state and us as taxpayers. So which would people prefer? I'd prefer they contributed something. If Mccormick was left in prison for 20 years what good would that do? It won't bring those boys back and when he eventually came out he'd be far less likely to be of any use to society.

Taking that theroy to it's logical conclusion why bang up anyone at all? They stop being useful members of society (McCormick hasn't payed tax for 3 years after all) and no punishement can undo what's been done ...just tough luck on the victims.

In fairness I don't disagree he needs a job and should contribute to society. Under the legal system he has served his time and is a free man. If he had come out of prison and, like most ex prisoners, had to work his way back into the system stacking shelves in tesco or clean public toilets it wouldn't bother me so much. The fact that he has just walked back into the same well payed job he had before his crime doesn't sit well with my own views of justice. Basically after 3 years (not plesant ones I'm sure) this guy, it seems, is just picking up his life were he left off..while his victims are forced to endure a painful life sentance... just doesn't seem right to me.

Taking that theroy to it's logical conclusion why bang up anyone at all?

In order to punish them for the crime they committed. Surely that's obvious? And then they are rehabilitated back into society. The only question is whether the term he served is severe enough for the crime. I personally think not.

But harsh as it may seem, the jail term is not there to recompense the direct victims (how could it?), it's there to act as a deterrent for other people and to remove harmful elements from society until they are deemed fit to return to law-abiding life.

I don't think he should be playing football. He should stay out of the public eye for the sake of the family. This is the decent thing to do.

If I went to prison for a similar crime, I wouldn't be hired for the job I do now (or a similar one) when I got out. There are plenty of jobs he could do besides football. Again why should he? To save the family even more grief. Again, it's the decent thing.

I hope the fans of the opposing teams do the honourable thing (which the UK justice system has failed to do) and he gets booed and heckled out of football for good.

Yeah, that's the sensible approach. There's nothing more likely to help a man mend his ways and atone for his crime then ostracising him and forcing him out of a job. Should he just be forced out of football, or out of any job? How does he then support himself; through crime? Or benefits? Or is that suddenly no longer society's concern?

I don't think he should be playing football. He should stay out of the public eye for the sake of the family. This is the decent thing to do.

If I went to prison for a similar crime, I wouldn't be hired for the job I do now (or a similar one) when I got out. There are plenty of jobs he could do besides football. Again why should he? To save the family even more grief. Again, it's the decent thing.

^^ this of course he should have a job just not as a well paid footballer IMO...maybe a street cleaner or something.

If the argument is that he needs to contribute to society, then surely his time is better spent working in a field of social care or victim support. How can he contribute to society by being a goalkeeper in a football team? Unless, say, his wages are capped at, say, the national average and he donates the rest to victim support for those left without young children following accidents with drunk drivers.

Taking that theroy to it's logical conclusion why bang up anyone at all? They stop being useful members of society (McCormick hasn't payed tax for 3 years after all) and no punishement can undo what's been done ...just tough luck on the victims.

In fairness I don't disagree he needs a job and should contribute to society. Under the legal system he has served his time and is a free man. If he had come out of prison and, like most ex prisoners, had to work his way back into the system stacking shelves in tesco or clean public toilets it wouldn't bother me so much. The fact that he has just walked back into the same well payed job he had before his crime doesn't sit well with my own views of justice. Basically after 3 years (not plesant ones I'm sure) this guy, it seems, is just picking up his life were he left off..while his victims are forced to endure a painful life sentance... just doesn't seem right to me.

Well I did say it's a balance between punishment and rehabilitation so someone should always be punished for their crime within the remit of the law (it is after all not Mccormicks fault that he only served 3 and a half years, that was what the judge felt he could impose within the guidelines he is given). Whether that balance is right in this case I guess time will tell, i.e. if he is genuinely remorseful I'd expect to see him quietly going about his job whilst doing lots for the community and trying to spread the messsage on the consequences of drink driving (not just for himself but for victims as well).

Remember he isn't a habitual criminal so it's not the same (or at least I'd hope not) as letting out someone who has a load of previous convictions. There should be less risk of re-offending and more chance of trying to contribute something to society. Leave him in prison for longer and you run the risk of him becoming institutionalised, then on release being at the margins of society and that doesn't benefit anyone.

FWIW I agree that it is galling that he has walked straight back into a very decent job and I can't imagine what that must be like for that poor family. I have no sympathy for the man, he made a choice to drive whilst drunk and it has cost 2 innocent kids there life but he has served his punishment and he now has an opportunity to do something positive so perhaps he ought to be left to do that.

I hope the fans of the opposing teams do the honourable thing (which the UK justice system has failed to do) and he gets booed and heckled out of football for good.

This will happen obviously, and I expect he'll get a few knocks on occasion above and beyond what the average keeper might expect.

Quite simply - the punishment did not fit the crime. Any parent in the country will tell you that. The law is an ass. I don't care that he didn't mean to kill the kids, really I don't - the fact of the matter is that he did kill them. He knew what the ramifications of his actions might be - and his worst nightmare came true. That nightmare should continue with his punishment - which should have been far far longer - well into double figures.

But he didn't get long - 3 years - and now he's back in society plying his trade again as a professional entertainer, which makes him a quite high profile figure and easily brings him to the attention of the remaining family members.

Do I find that kind of sick - not at all - I'm off to find tickets for the next Gary Glitter concert.

Forming arbitrary groups of people and judging the whole on the actions of the few; the fundamentals of prejudice. Also the bread and butter of the Daily Mail.

Forming arbitrary groups of people and judging the whole on the actions of the few; the fundamentals of prejudice. Also the bread and butter of the Daily Mail.

Doesnt mean its incorrect. If you want to accuse me of being prejudiced against the excesses of the modern professional footballer, you go right ahead mate; to me thats a compliment.

I, on the other hand, am utterly unimpressed by the specious arguments/comments used on here trying to divert attention away from the actions of scum like Hughes and McCormick.

Edited by alpine_saint

Talking of footballers behaving badly, Ched Evans 'released' by Sheffield United today, along with 10 other players including Beattie.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18264057

He could be paroled after 2.5 years, which clubs will be queuing up to buy him?

I saw the line 'United release Evans' in the Times. I thought I'll have Jonny Evans! Let's snap him up! Alas, wrong United and wrong Evans...