Taekwondo Debate.

Pilchards

Anyone want to talk about it?

It's making big news at the moment as the panel are choosing a ranked 53 over the No 1 brit called Aaron Cook, Discuss?

Ive seen the reports, but not sure I fully understand. I am assumming there is a reason they want the 53rd ranked over and above the number one?

Is this world rankings or British rankings? I know absolutely nothing about Taekwondo.

Neither do I, but the Cook fellow appears to be world number 1, not British number 1, which makes it rather odd that he hasn't been picked.

Neither do I, but the Cook fellow appears to be world number 1, not British number 1, which makes it rather odd that he hasn't been picked.

World Rankings would make more sense, because British number 53 is probably world ranking number somewhere in the high hundreds. Maybe it was something to do with national qualifiers.

he ****ed of British Taekwondo bigwigs by saying the training regime they provided wasn't up to measure so decided to train himself in his shed apparently. the fact he turned himself into the world no1 by doing so isn't good enough for them, so they refused to pick him( no doubt while sticking out their bottom lip & stamping their feet).

he ****ed of British Taekwondo bigwigs by saying the training regime they provided wasn't up to measure so decided to train himself in his shed apparently. the fact he turned himself into the world no1 by doing so isn't good enough for them, so they refused to pick him( no doubt while sticking out their bottom lip & stamping their feet).

Sounds reminiscent of British Tennis(though they do seem to have taken notice finally a few years back) post Andy Murray who went to Spain and became a world class player, whereas his brother Jamie, the better player while they were young, opted to stay in Britain and his talent never fulfilled itself. Though I can't imagine Taekwondo has much funding whereas Tennis is this country has loads.

I'm glad to read the views of some of you. :)

The panel from British Taekwondo includes the world ranked no 53 coach, also Sarah Stevenson's coach (who supports the GB setup) also two guys that were upset when Cook quit.

I can understand their reason because of that but the guy chosen did beat Cook this year & is the fastest risen talent in Taekwondo for 2012.

He is currently European champion for his weight but in the Olympics he is stepping up a weight to take Cook's place.

Edited by Pilchards

Sounds reminiscent of British Tennis(though they do seem to have taken notice finally a few years back) post Andy Murray who went to Spain and became a world class player, whereas his brother Jamie, the better player while they were young, opted to stay in Britain and his talent never fulfilled itself. Though I can't imagine Taekwondo has much funding whereas Tennis is this country has loads.

Interesting point & totally true what you say.

If Mr Joe Bloggs aged 12 was amazing at a sport in this country then they would struggle to find finance support & sponsorships to help pay for development.

In most countries the government would make sure they get support to make them future champions.

I once fought for Britain in the World Championships, I had to give back the tracksuit afterwards and pay most of my own fare to Spain, The Americians got free tracksuits, blazers, fighting equipment, free accomadation & flight etc... says it all really.

Edited by Pilchards

That's fair enough.

But what the feck did the others - ranks 2 to 52 - do to not get picked?

Have you a link to the story Pilchards?

Do you tip us for a medal?

Jade Jones has every chance of a medal, been superb all year but flopped at the recent Europeans though.

Stamper a brilliant Taekwondo athlete but he won't beat the Turkish guy Servet as he is truly amazing, all his fighters run off the mat now.

Sarah Stevenson has not fought all year as she done her ligaments in but she is the darling of Taekwondo, her training has been good but nobody knows how she will do?

It would be a great story of she does win as she lost both her parents in the last year.

Overall I predict a silver & maybe a sneeky gold from Sarah.

Are they not allowed to take them both if they fight at different wieghts? :?

We had to decide what 4 weights we was going to put forward for GB last summer which gives athletes the time to lose or gain weight to have a chance of fighting.

The 4 weights we went for was for our four best fighters at the time, although some other GB fighters have done well the chosen 4 came through in the end (except of the cook debate)

That's fair enough.

To be honest with you the ranking system is ****, The Koreans & China are the very best but they never choose to fight outside the country so they don't get ranked.

I know nothing about this sport. I do know that Cook is one of the best in the world and has already beaten many opponents who are representing their country in the olympics.

If the governing body insist on leaving him out (and they have done three times now) we should let them have their way. If their choice fails then they will be proved incompetent as a selection board and Sport England should withdraw future funding in the sport.

That's fair enough.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18343959

I know nothing about paper folding, and not a lot more about Star Trek, but according to this, Cook is world no.1, the other guy, Lutalo Muhammad, is world no. 59, therefore assuming there are no other Brits ranked nos. 2-58 in the world, I'm guessing that makes Muhammad British no.2.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18343959

I know nothing about paper folding, and not a lot more about Star Trek, but according to this, Cook is world no.1, the other guy, Lutalo Muhammad, is world no. 59, therefore assuming there are no other Brits ranked nos. 2-58 in the world, I'm guessing that makes Muhammad British no.2.

Not at that weight it does not as he usually fights in the lighter class, because his weight is not selected by GB then he has to go up a weight to try take Cooks place.

Also I have added the video of Lutalo Muhammad & Aaron Cook when they met in the semi this year and this is why the ranked number 53 has been chosen as he offers more head shots, infact he has the most points scored by a Taekwondo athlete this year.

and finally a video of when Aaron Cook beat the greatest Taekwondo expert ever in Mexico, Steven Lopez is in this years Olympics and nobody has seen his fight since the knockout last year.

Watch the knock out as it was lucky but hard....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYB6TeYp3fc

I just love the fact that the governing body is the World Taekwondo Federation, aka WTF?

PS : What numbers 2-52 did to not get picked was to not be British, they're world rankings.

Lutalo Muhammad was chosen in the end and he's ranked no 9 in his own weight but he has dropped down a weight to get in the Aaron Cook category as his was not chosen. He's ranked 59 in the lighterweights.

• 1 month later...
So... Muhammad loses in the QF's.

Cook has been talking about his non-selection today (before the QF) clearly very upset by it still.

Selectors need to have a long hard look at themselves it seems.

Good result for the number fifty odd in the world. Scandalous that cook was not picked tbh.

So... Muhammad loses in the QF's.

Cook has been talking about his non-selection today (before the QF) clearly very upset by it still.

Selectors need to have a long hard look at themselves it seems.

?

Watching now he's about to get a Bronze which isnt bad going really.

Got a bronze. Fair play.

This. The selection scandal was not of his doing.

He picked himself up after his mornings defeat and scrapped to a bronze via a "repecharge". Fair play to the lad indeed.

He did his best under intense scruitny, and brought credit to his sport. Deserves a pat on the back.

My understanding is that the rules were changed for the Olympics, making headshots more important. Supposedly, although I know nothing about this sport, talking heads have said Cooke would have scored less and been scored against more because of his lack of height. We'll never know but well done to the GB guy - bronze is great and GB mens first medal in the sport.

My understanding is that the rules were changed for the Olympics, making headshots more important. Supposedly, although I know nothing about this sport, talking heads have said Cooke would have scored less and been scored against more because of his lack of height. We'll never know but well done to the GB guy - bronze is great and GB mens first medal in the sport.

That, and all the other excuses given for Cook's non-selection, are toilet.

It would be akin to the Swiss not picking Federer because the men's tennis matches were three sets, not five.

The real and simple reason for Cook's non selection is the green eyed monster. GB TKD is a very insular organisation, it receives very little attention and funding. It got very upset that, as a result of being the best in the world, Cook started receiving more attention on his own than the rest of the sport put together. The final straw, so to speak, was when Cook left the GB training set up and moved to his own gym. Their response was not to select him for the Olympics. Basically, they ruined his own chances of success, and their own, to prove a point.

TKD in the UK as a sport is ripe for a root and branch reform at all levels of organisation, with a properly funded and managed elite GB team at the top, similar to what the cyclists have done. Unfortunately with the incompetent self-serving cretins who currently head it up, that won't happen any time soon.

Absolute disgrace the way Cook was treated. I hope every last one of those selectors are gone by the time the next Olympics comes round. Cook must now dedicate himself even more in an attempt to show the world he should have been selected and what we missed in 2012.

As for Muhhammed, he was tremendous and a real credit to his sport.

That, and all the other excuses given for Cook's non-selection, are toilet.

It would be akin to the Swiss not picking Federer because the men's tennis matches were three sets, not five.

The real and simple reason for Cook's non selection is the green eyed monster. GB TKD is a very insular organisation, it receives very little attention and funding. It got very upset that, as a result of being the best in the world, Cook started receiving more attention on his own than the rest of the sport put together. The final straw, so to speak, was when Cook left the GB training set up and moved to his own gym. Their response was not to select him for the Olympics. Basically, they ruined his own chances of success, and their own, to prove a point.

TKD in the UK as a sport is ripe for a root and branch reform at all levels of organisation, with a properly funded and managed elite GB team at the top, similar to what the cyclists have done. Unfortunately with the incompetent self-serving cretins who currently head it up, that won't happen any time soon.

Numpties in Blazers aside, listening to the guy on the radio yesterday morning did little to endear himself the longer he spoke. But you have an organisation that receives little funding, to the point of the Village having a whip round to send a promising young Lady to represent her country in the youth Olympics. So you have fighters who are in the GB programme, as an organisation you know if you get a medal your Lottery funding goes up, if you get a Gold medal in the mix your Lottery funding becomes a bit more serious which in turn should benefit British Taekwando and folks coming through it.

Not being a mainstream sport the first objective is to secure funding to make the sport grow, but like I said earlier this guy on the radio was beginning to grate, so as a governing body you have someone who has slagged the organisation and gone out on his own, if he had been picked and Medalled I got the impression this could open another can of worms where he demands a slice of the additional funding that will now come British Taekwando's way and remain outside the main programme, The potential for it all becoming a bit messy and devisive was there to see so go with the guys that will ultimately benefit the sport. British Taekwando is too small to have splinters.