Are we still in a drought?

Thedelldays

In the same way that a bit of snow doesn't disprove global warming, a few days of rain doesn't necessarily put an end to a drought.

People need to learn that climate is a long term thing. It's a bit different to whatever the weather happens to be where you are right now.

In the same way that a bit of snow doesn't disprove global warming, a few days of rain doesn't necessarily put an end to a drought.

People need to learn that climate is a long term thing. It's a bit different to whatever the weather happens to be where you are right now.

but surely floods generally mean water supplies are bursting their banks etc..?

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
but surely floods generally mean water supplies are bursting their banks etc..?

Nah, Jamie; it's the wrong kind of rain innit?

Rivers are bursting their banks causing floods, however I believe that underground reservoirs are still slightly low. We are in drought but this is expected to change in the next couple of months. Infrastructure still needs massive investment though.

Dont think Southampton was covered by the hosepipe ban, although southern water initially made it very difficult to find that out. They have altered their website now so you can search your postcode, and discover that it doesnt apply here.

In much the same way, they have been forcing water meters on reluctant customers and simply telling them thats how we will be billed in future. They seem less keen to publicise the fact that Ofwat have ruled that any consumer can refuse this, (not the installation of a meter, which the company have the right to install whether you like it or not, but the invoicing by volume of water,) unless you are already billed that way. And unless you object in writing before your first metered bill arrives, you are stuck with it from then on. They also skirt neatly past the fact that if you agree to pay by metered volume you have the right to insist on a separate meter on your garden supply (which goes into the ground as opposed to down the drain.)

I think just central Southern England and the South East, is still under drought restrictions where hosepipes are concerned, all the other areas under restriction had them lifted recently. I want to give the Patio a blast but can't.

I played Golf this morning on a course which drains really well, and remains open all year, Snow aside, I have never seen standing water there in places or the greens being so lush and soft almost wooly which just shows how much rain has fallen just in recent days.

Dont think Southampton was covered by the hosepipe ban, although southern water initially made it very difficult to find that out. They have altered their website now so you can search your postcode, and discover that it doesnt apply here.

In much the same way, they have been forcing water meters on reluctant customers and simply telling them thats how we will be billed in future. They seem less keen to publicise the fact that Ofwat have ruled that any consumer can refuse this, (not the installation of a meter, which the company have the right to install whether you like it or not, but the invoicing by volume of water,) unless you are already billed that way. And unless you object in writing before your first metered bill arrives, you are stuck with it from then on. They also skirt neatly past the fact that if you agree to pay by metered volume you have the right to insist on a separate meter on your garden supply (which goes into the ground as opposed to down the drain.)

Really? Where did you find this out?

Can you point me in the general direction of this, as the bastewards are about to lumber me with a meter

Not a criticism - why are some of you against water meters? We saved a small fortune when we moved from a 'rateable value' system to a metered system.

Hot tub that needs a couple of thousand litres twice a year, and a garden that requires constant watering to keep my wife's huge floral investment alive (I appreciate that this isn't a huge issue so far this year)

Not a criticism - why are some of you against water meters? We saved a small fortune when we moved from a 'rateable value' system to a metered system.

Cost. 6 people in our house. Not saying people shouldn't pay for what they use, but where water companies are concerned there is no competition, you can't change to a cheaper supplier like you can with gas or electric. Once every one is on a meter whats to stop them doubling their prices?

I heard a report on the radio the other day suggesting that all water will be metered eventually and that, put simply, every household will be charged at one rate for general needs and at a higher rate for stuff like car washing, ponds, swimming pools and watering the garden.

Not quite sure how that would work - I guess they'd estimate general needs and then charge useage over and above that at a higher rate. I would hope that they would take into account that one person's general needs are not the same as another person's general needs.

I've found a link to the item but it doesn't go into much detail

http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_9726000/9726538.stm

Can you point me in the general direction of this, as the bastewards are about to lumber me with a meter

Go to the Ofwat website and search for metering charges. I'll find the link and post it, basically it says you dont have to accept metered billing if you dont want to but once you have you are stuck with it.

Hot tub that needs a couple of thousand litres twice a year, and a garden that requires constant watering to keep my wife's huge floral investment alive (I appreciate that this isn't a huge issue so far this year)

The hot tub might well give the water company the right to bill by volume, the garden supply is only applicable if its an automated irrigation system (rather than you standing outside watering with a hosepipe.)

I like brushing my teeth under running water. No burocrat is gonna tell me how much water I can use and on what. Get your own house in order you arseholes. And strop feeding us \ll this water shortage bull, the planet's survived more than the odd burst river bank in it's time.

We ain't THAT important in the big scheme imho.

Hmm, not sure reading that link it says about water stressed areas. Looking a southern waters website it says we are in one. I've emailed Ofwat for clarification, although not sure that will do any good, if theyre anything like the financial ombudsman I won't even get a reply.

Hmm, not sure reading that link it says about water stressed areas. Looking a southern waters website it says we are in one. I've emailed Ofwat for clarification, although not sure that will do any good, if theyre anything like the financial ombudsman I won't even get a reply.

We aren't. They make that even harder to find out, it took me and a mate several hours of searching to get that information.

I checked Southern Water's website this morning. Bloody impossible to be certain, but somewhere it says 'Kent and Sussex' do we should be ok here. And it's raining.

If I get time I'll find the page again and post the link. Southampton isn't under that category, but the website implies heavily that the whole area covered by Southern Water is affected, which is not the case. It took iirc around 5 page links to find that out, and they were all links you wouldn't have thought were the obvious ones.

• 2 weeks later...

Just had the following reply from Ofwat

Thank you for your further email, I welcome the opportunity to clarify this information for you further.

I can confirm that the Environment Agency has identified Southern Water's region as one of serious water stress where metering should be prioritised. The recent drought is a separate, albeit related issue. The Environment Agency also issues drought orders and drought permits that are different to areas of water stress.

An area that is considered seriously water stressed is one where the normal level of water resources are considered to be stretched to provide the volume of water to meet demand over the next 25 years. An area in drought with a drought order in place, is one in which the water resources are currently well below their normal level. And to such an extent that they are stretched to provide the volume of water necessary to meet demand currently, or in the very near future.

I include a link below to an Environment Agency report, which shows that it has classed Southern Water as a company with a water stressed region. You may note that a significant number of other companies are also classed as seriously water stressed. A number of these companies are also carrying out extensive metering programmes. Although not all of them follow the same form as Southern Water's approach. For example, Essex & Suffolk Water, which has a worse score than Southern Water, has been compulsorily metering customers in Essex, when the occupiers of a property change, for around the last five years.

http://publications.environment-agency.gov.uk/PDF/GEHO1207BNOC-E-E.pdf

I hope that this addresses your further points.

Yours sincerely

So I guess it metered water whether we like it or not