New York

Turkish

I went to New Jersey last March on work and had a weekend free to explore Manhattan.

It's great. Spent an inordinate amount of time looking up. Went to Chinatown and Little Italy for a lot of my shopping needs, although the places in Manhattan are very reasonably priced too. Definitely the most "European" place I've been to in the US. Even neighbouring NJ is still "car world", but people walk in Manhattan. Completely recommend the place. Was honestly buzzing off it for months after visiting.

Who's been? Might go there next year. Is it as good as its made out to be? What's a decent place to get flights and hotels?

One of the greatest cities on earth. Up there with London, Tokyo & Hong Kong IMHO, It seems to have a life of its own.

I've been lucky enough to have spent plenty of time there over the years since 1st going in 1984.

Who's been? Might go there next year. Is it as good as its made out to be? What's a decent place to get flights and hotels?

If 'might' becomes 'will', don't forget to get your ESTA authorisation done. You don't need a plane ticket to do it.

For the US, Trailfinders in Kensington are still one of the most competitive agents out there - much better than online services in my experience.

Think about staying at the Paramount. The rooms are TINY, but stylish, and the hotel is the centre of activity for film and theatre people. It's also right by Times Square.

Surprised you haven't been! Definitely get over there. It does my head in for longer than 4 or 5 days (like London), but worth going over, do the tourist stuff, do some bus tours, bit of shopping (although it isn't THAT cheap in my opinion), enjoy some good bars and places to eat etc.

If you're booking a Flight + Hotel together, Expedia will be one of the cheapest to build your own package with some good savings for booking the two together.

And yes, don't forget your ESTA.

I live here. It's great. I work in Times Square - worth a visit once to pass through, as Piccadilly Circus is, but real New Yorkers wouldn't be seen dead there. That said its where all the hotels are and is where everyone ends up staying, is centrally located and very near all the theatres. Just don't fall into believing the restaurants around there are worth eating at.

Mrs Norwaysaint is there on business right now. I know she's going to the Guggenheim at some point. One thing I've learned from it is that hotels treat business travellers far far better than they treat holidaymakers, so try to pretend you're there to work, she also mentioned that in NY you should never pay for a hotel in advance, as they will mess you around as much as they like then. The city she recommended most over there was actually Nashville. I've never been over myself, but am hoping to tag along at some point as she only stays in the best hotels and it's all paid for.

She had David Cameron in her office on Thursday, true story.

Brilliant place.

We were there for 5 days - not nearly long enough. Loads to see and do, the natives are quite direct but very friendly.

Went on a Virgin package and stayed on West 34th St near Macys and the Empire State.

Not a place to go if you're on a diet as the portions are huge.

Mrs Norwaysaint is there on business right now. I know she's going to the Guggenheim at some point. One thing I've learned from it is that hotels treat business travellers far far better than they treat holidaymakers, so try to pretend you're there to work, she also mentioned that in NY you should never pay for a hotel in advance, as they will mess you around as much as they like then. The city she recommended most over there was actually Nashville. I've never been over myself, but am hoping to tag along at some point as she only stays in the best hotels and it's all paid for.

She had David Cameron in her office on Thursday, true story.

Tell her to get over to the BBQ festival in Madison Square Park. I'll be heading over there shortly - would be happy to 'hit her up'. :smug:

My brother lives out there, its OK.

Recommend;

Natural history musem,

Don't order too much food,

Go up the Rockefeller (good view of centeral park)

6 flags new jersey if you get a car. (massive theme park and water park (did not do the water park))

To be honest I actually think many places in europe are better, but its better to see for yourself I suppose.

And Holister & Abercrombie and Fitch. I can't get enough of that stuff.

I was going to put that as well but couldn't spell Abercrombie as I have hardly ever seen it written. Maybe you can get some new cargo pants at banana republic and get a brand no one else has in southampton. Go on, dare to be a trend setter!

I was going to put that as well but couldn't spell Abercrombie as I have hardly ever seen it written. Maybe you can get some new cargo pants at banana republic and get a brand no one else has in southampton. Go on, dare to be a trend setter!

They've got a Banana Republic down at Gunwharf. I'm a regular there looking for button down, cotton Oxford shirts to wear over my Abercrombie t-shirt.

54087-Zoot-Suit-Costume-large.jpg

I'm going to be the only person to say that I didn't really like it. Maybe i was too young when I went but thought it was full of rude Americans, the same crap shops (gap) on every street. Ordered a round of double vodkas in a club and they looked at us like we were mental. Light weights. All just from my experience of course, I'm sure the rest of you had a great time.

I went both times in the winter, got engaged to now mrs dr who in 2003 out there. I thought it is better in the winter, it was more romantic as it was cold and snowing. Also you do not have to queue up for all the attractions. I think in the summer it will be far to hot and full of tourists and packed.

Found it much easier getting around walking in the winter, but of course this suited me.

I took the wife and kids last year. We absolutely loved it but I do know people that couldn't see what the fuss was about. We stayed in the Skyline on 49th and 10th which was very basic but good value for the location. I would fly Virgin again. Love the breakfasts in a nearby diner. You needed nothing else all day, but not debilitating like a full english. I liked;

Nat history museum and planetarium

Top of the rock at night

Central park on Sunday morning

Without the kids we would have done different things.

We hired a Mercury V8 to drive out to NJ to see my wife's uncle. People say not to drive in Manhattan, but I thought it was a brilliant experience if you like driving and cars.

The main thing about it as far as I could see was that you felt like you were living on a film set. I had not realised the extent that New York backdrops and iconography are used in film and TV until I had been there. There is a fair chance you will love it.

Booked for Mrs JBS landmark Birthday in November, staying just off 6th avenue a block away from Times Square. There for Thanksgiving and Black Friday. Any tips and recommendations greatly received.

We took a cruise thee from Southampton last September. Mrs WG had always wanted to sail in and see Manhattan come up over the horizon. We sailed under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge at about 4:30 in the morning and tied up a couple of piers north of the Intrepid aircraft carrier museum and looking up to Times Square, a fantastic experience. We were in port overnight so I took her ladyship to 230 Fifth Avenue and we had a great evening meal on top of a little skyscraper about 23 floors up and looking at the Empire State Building, Chrysler Building and the New York skyline. We'd like to go back and spend longer. I have a good customer there so perhaps I should go soon.

http://www.230-fifth.com/

http://www.intrepidmuseum.org/

Been half a dozen times, at various times in my life and in various circumstances.

Definitely worth a visit, but you will get far more out of it if you meet up with someone who lives there. There is so much more to Manhattan than Times Square and Central Park... and you could happily spend a week in Manhattan without having a sniff of the other boroughs.

Plus, ime, the women there love an English accent.

• 2 weeks later...

Went there in January and stayed in the Tribeca area - around a ten minute walk from where the World Trade center buildings were. Good place as China town, Soho and Broadway all converge there.

Plenty of retaurants there to choose from.

Also if you fancy a drink or meal and maybe some partying the Meat Packing District is a place to go. Range of bars/clubs/restaurants to suit all tastes from casuals to dressed up folk. If your going with your missus, take her to The Spice Market.

Thai-Indo food in a decent setting plus it wont kill your wallet. Also apparently its were the gals from Sex in the City go to.....or so I have been told, so you'll get extra brownie points.

Maddison Square Gardens is a good shout for either the Basketball or Ice Hockey.

Post on here closer to the time if you want some restaurant names or not.

I loved it...don't stay near Times Square get out in the suburbs - I stayed at the Cosmopolitan in Tribeca.

Great bar nearby Reade St Pub, lovely brekkie from the Soda Bar or at the deli across the road.

You can walk to most places from there, catch the free ferry from Battery Park that goes past Statue of Liberty.

Have a wander down to South St Seaport and visit the A&F outlet store - you won't see better looking girls anywhere

they are all stunning and models so are the blokes if that floats your boat.

If you want a good meal not cheap go to the revolving restaurant on top of the Marriot Marquis in Times Square called The View and you can book well in advance via Open Table website.

BB Kings is supposed to be decent but never been.

Maceys is Ok and you can get 11% discount card for shopping in store.

Central Park is great...Strawberry Fields was a bit of a let down but fine.

People are great and many stopped for a chat in the park.

Best advice I can give is walk as much as you can....safest place I have ever been.

Subways are great way to get around.

Its an awesome City Rich. Shopping is great, food is great, most of the hotel's are at least OK & there is loads to do. Personally, I love Ellis Island. It cant quite imagine what it must of been like for most of those Migrants entering the US all those years ago. Chilling in Soho is also cool. Still got a bit of a Bohemian feel about the place.

My 3 lads are desperate to go so think we might go 2013.

Its an awesome City Rich. Shopping is great, food is great, most of the hotel's are at least OK & there is loads to do. Personally, I love Ellis Island. It cant quite imagine what it must of been like for most of those Migrants entering the US all those years ago. Chilling in Soho is also cool. Still got a bit of a Bohemian feel about the place.

My 3 lads are desperate to go so think we might go 2013.

Ellis Island was my favourite bit over there, fascinating, well worth spending at least half a day doing it.

Went twice in 2005; once in the depths of winter when it was absolutely raw and again in October when the weather was changing from humid to cool (almost overnight). I'd definitely recommend going in spring or autumn if you want to avoid extremes of temperature. I wouldn't bother paying for breakfast in your hotel - go out and find a diner; they're everywhere and much better value. Be prepared to get pretty footsore; on foot is definitely the best way to see Manhattan but it's fecking huge and I found it nigh on impossible to hail a taxi despite there being thousands of them! I didn't try the Subway but most of the other posters seem to think it's ok. Don't worry about only going for four days - it's enough to give you a taster and it's the kind of place you'll keep going back to! I'm hoping to take the missus for her b/day later this year...

Century 21.

Love that store. Bought a $4,000 designer jacket for $200.

City Crabs - off Union Square Alaskan Crab Claws and the Oyster Medley.

See if they are filming The Letterman Show in Times Square the days you are there, queue up for a free ticket and watch the Yanks being pumped up for their TV - it was free and you may see some mega stars

Only advice - 4 days / nights is enough, and look for a hotel near a Subway station (Oh and you CAN save a few quid on a hotel for one night by coming home on a red eye. most hotels will keep your bags for the day after you check out giving you almost a full extra day)

Cheers all, sounds great. I think that's me sold!! Any suggestions which time of year is best?

You might think this mad but I went in January whilst there was snow still laying.

i have never been so cold as the wind chill shocked me at times but it was very changeable so this was sporadic.

i can safely say taking a carriage trip through central park and skating both there and the Rockefeller centre was fantastic.

The chilly Xmas feel to it really added a new dimension to the visit compared to when I had been before in the summer.

Cheers all, sounds great. I think that's me sold!! Any suggestions which time of year is best?

Have done trips in both Summer & Winter -10C and a gale takes the fun out of an open top bus tour big time as did 34C. Late Spring or Autumn is good, but also for air tickets etc pick the times of year when people are not travelling on their hols - it is often cheaper - now for example (between Half Term & summer hols, just before or after Xmas (January Sales but pack your thermals)

Century 21.

Love that store. Bought a $4,000 designer jacket for $200.

City Crabs - off Union Square Alaskan Crab Claws and the Oyster Medley.

See if they are filming The Letterman Show in Times Square the days you are there, queue up for a free ticket and watch the Yanks being pumped up for their TV - it was free and you may see some mega stars

Only advice - 4 days / nights is enough, and look for a hotel near a Subway station (Oh and you CAN save a few quid on a hotel for one night by coming home on a red eye. most hotels will keep your bags for the day after you check out giving you almost a full extra day)

The Letterman Show isn't in Times Square. It's on Broadway in midtown (around 53rd) - in the Ed Sullivan Theater, where The Beatles made their legendary first appearance on US television.

Don't forget the Oyster Bar in the now stunningly restored Grand Central.

• 8 months later...
Bump.

Well actually I'm going there with work soon and was wondering if anymore has any more suggestions? I'll have a weekend free. So was thinking of finding a sports bar on the day Saints play chelsea. Any recommendations?

We're off there on Tuesday for a week. Missing no Saints games. You need to plan your trips better!

I'm going to throw this out there:

I think it's a ****hole (I'm assuming you mean manhattan island and not upstate New York, which with the finger lakes and verging on Niagara near Buffulo is beautiful). I've spent roughly a year in the US and been to most of the continental states in the union and for me, it's probably the worst, the people are rude, the portion sizes are generally smaller than everywhere else and it, to me, represents probably the most European of US cities.