Why the Republic of Ireland love in by the media?

OldNick

i don't understand why the media have a love in with the Republic of Ireland. It seems to be the international version of the medias blindness to Pompey. I have never seen any pro English stuff from their side, in fact they seem to want us to lose with just as much passion as our media seem to want them to win. To me they have no greater affinity than France who are even geographically closer to where i live.

I was thinking the very same

Why are we watching/listening to the media with a view that (from them) the general viewer/listener really wants them to do well

I could not care less about the irish. I am as sure as shyt that they care even less than that about us

It's been going on for f***ing years and i have no idea why. Why not Norway,Sweden and as you say France is much nearer to us. I hate 'em,hope they loose every game,cheered every goal Croatia scored. Belgium,Holland,Swizterland? all closer to England. Maybe it's because half of their players over the years have been ENGLISH

Someone mentioned this on another thread and reckon it stems from the world cup in 94 where they were in it and we were not.

The TV stations championed ireland to boost ratings.

The way ITV were going on about how fanatical/amazing their fans are was way OTT.

Taking thousands to a tournament is hardly new. Usually standard for England

A load of our tv channels are also watched in Eire. the Sky Channels especially. Its not exactly gonna help their viewing figures and by extension advertising revenue if they slag the Irish off.

Not to mention the huge number of Irish ex pats and descendants of Irish ex pats that are here in the Uk.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

I had the misfortune of watching England v Portugal in Euro 2004 in Dublin airport. In a bar, myself and around 10 other English lads, and a completely packed bar full of rabid, angry Irish. It was the most hostile environment I've been in when just sat in an apparently "neutral" bar; they were so bitter and fired up for England to lose it was incredible. The barman at one point refused to serve us drinks as we were English (and winning). Utterly pathetic, it was so hateful. Their massively over the top celebrations when we lost on penalties were like their own team had won the tournament.

A load of our tv channels are also watched in Eire. the Sky Channels especially. Its not exactly gonna help their viewing figures and by extension advertising revenue if they slag the Irish off.

Not to mention the huge number of Irish ex pats and descendants of Irish ex pats that are here in the Uk.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

I get it with sky to a degree

But we are talking ITV and even worse, BBC

I had the misfortune of watching England v Portugal in Euro 2004 in Dublin airport. In a bar, myself and around 10 other English lads, and a completely packed bar full of rabid, angry Irish. It was the most hostile environment I've been in when just sat in an apparently "neutral" bar; they were so bitter and fired up for England to lose it was incredible. The barman at one point refused to serve us drinks as we were English (and winning). Utterly pathetic, it was so hateful. Their massively over the top celebrations when we lost on penalties were like their own team had won the tournament.

I feel sorry for the penis envy of all the other British Isles countires.

I had a similar experience during France 98. Was watching England v Argentina in a town square in Austria. 2 rows of those heurige beer benches and tables so popular at places like the Munich Oktoberfest, both facing a big screen. There was a student medical games going on in town at the time so there were lots of nationalities around. The England fans set themselves down one side, and on the other side were the Argies. But about 15mins before the start a huge group of Sweaties turned up, painted Argentine flags on their faces, sat on the Argie side and went mental at the Argie goals and penalty win.

Sad c**ts.

I was in muddy murphys Irish bar in Glasgow (right next to queen street station) when England played Sweden in 06.

They were reluctant to let us in. Then they realised there was about 80 of us and could not turn down the custom.

In there, all the flags of the nations in the world cup were on the walls.... Apart from England.

We were told that we were not allowed to cheer England goals, sing England sings etc and when the final whistle went. The police turned up to assist us on "leaving"

Incredible

Someone mentioned this on another thread and reckon it stems from the world cup in 94 where they were in it and we were not.

The TV stations championed ireland to boost ratings.

The way ITV were going on about how fanatical/amazing their fans are was way OTT.

Taking thousands to a tournament is hardly new. Usually standard for England

And I've just seen this :D

Agree with everything said on here. The media report on them as if they were a home nation, they're not. Ireland is a foreign country. I loved watching Croatia **** them and why?, because they would have loved watching France **** us.

For me it all goes back to Euro 1988 when they beat us 1-0 in Stuttgart with a team full of English & Scots and an English manager FFS. I have never felt so low after a football match as I did that day.

Agree with everything said on here. The media report on them as if they were a home nation, they're not. Ireland is a foreign country. I loved watching Croatia **** them and why?, because they would have loved watching France **** us.

For me it all goes back to Euro 1988 when they beat us 1-0 in Stuttgart with a team full of English & Scots and an English manager FFS. I have never felt so low after a football match as I did that day.

Goes further back than that for me. To the day the Sweaties smashed Wembley up. The Irish thing is just the latest sad chapter in the British Isles inferiority complex affliction...

Because they are the underdogs compared to most other teams including England. The same way in that the underdogs would get lots of air time and appreciation in a FA Cup match.

Agreed. I don't mind it too much, as it's very condescending. Patting them on head and saying 'well done for qualifying'...

Mmm. Other countries don't cheer for the English shocker :)

Is that any surprise really? The English are the cultural and economic powerhouse in this part of the world (and not afraid to go on about it). Add to that all the historical enmity and it isn't really surprising.

Same thing happens with Canada and America.

I agree it is all over the top, but it is generally because all their players play in the Premier league and are therefore familiar to the bog standard ITV/BBC football fan.

I am also still annoyed by the fact that the olympic torch was run around the Republic as well, what the hell was that about...what have they got to do with the London Olympics FFS

They just voted their sovereignty away via the EU treaty referendum, though.

Reckon that their pysche needs to feel that they are always being put upon/opressed

Very much like the Scousers (well most Scousers are Micks so it makes sense) with that victim status complex.

This type of focus on other home nations and Ireland has always been this way, I can't believe you suddenly feel this is a new thing. Politically and culturally we are very close (I'm assuming here you have a little understanding of the history between us and them) and as someone rightly pointed out, there are stacks of irish descendants among us. Yes it is another country but how many other foreign lands can you get into with your work ID??

If it bothers you that much don't watch their games OR if just be more adult about it and don't let it bother you.

If it bothers you that much don't watch their games OR if just be more adult about it and don't let it bother you.

Adult about it lol, ITV is a British television station and so the only way I could easily view that game of football. I expect no bias for a country that is not part of the UK, will the commentators wet their pants if the Polish score etc etc on the basis there are a lot of their subjects here?. I understand why Sky do, as they wish to sell into the Republic.

I've always found the Scots and Welsh more anti English than the Irish when it comes to Football.

I was in Dublin during England's first visit to Croke Park.I watched the Rugby in a pub in Dublin, surrounded by Irishmen and there was not any annimosity or trouble towards me at all. This match was played at a place where the British killed 14 people including one of the teams captains, and holds a very significant place in the history of their Country. Yet there was no trouble at all. I suggest that had the roles been reversed and 14 Englishmen killed at Wembley by the Argies, then an Argie watching the first visit of Argentina since that event, would not be very safe in a London pub full of English.

To start going on about victimhood status and the like, shows a bit of ignorance about the history of their country. They have a hatred of the British establishment and the British state, and the English football team represent that. On an individual basis I have yet to meet one Irishmen (and I visit regulary) who has ever been anything other than friendly and warm to me and my family. I can not say the same about Jocks and Taffs, or even people from some other parts of England.

As for why the TV stations treat them differantly than the French ect. Surely that's not too difficult to understand is it? Whether people on here like it or not, they are "less foreign" than the rest of Europe, with us sharing a common language, a border, & until 1922 we were part of the same Country. If Scotland votes for independance I guess we'll have threads asking why the BBC are not treating Scotland like they do France.

It's probably worth taking into account that a lot of English people are of recent Irish descent (as all the English players who have played for Ireland illustrates). It makes Ireland easier to care for than other countries.

I always think that it is tied in with the advertising campaign that Guinness run. We seem to celebrate St. Patrick's Day as well - what do the English do on that day? Consume copious amounts of crap Irish beer (which is a copy of a London Porter).

You may be right, but it was equally nauseating then as it is now.

On that we're agreed. I didn't support the Republic of Ireland in 1994. More than anything else, didn't like the way they'd put the team together. Felt it violated the purity of international football.

One of my footballing pet hates is Andy Townsend anywhere near an England game.

On that we're agreed. I didn't support the Republic of Ireland in 1994. More than anything else, didn't like the way they'd put the team together. Felt it violated the purity of international football.

One of my footballing pet hates is Andy Townsend anywhere near an England game.

I presume you feel the same about the English cricket team.

I presume you feel the same about the English cricket team.

Being completely honest, I'm utterly clueless about cricket and/or rugby - although, in my defence - I've never harped on when either has accidentally won something :D

If the English cricket team is chock-full of foreigners, then I'd obviously feel the same way about them too.

I'll reserve judgement until i find out what they were singing, it was probably some song about how murderous the English are.

"Fields of Athenry" , about some poor Irish bloke being transported to Australia due to English landowners and politicians during the potato famine.

Strange how they don't mind using the famine as a convenient backdrop to sing about their 'martyr's' , but find reference to it by Rangers fans as offensive.

They only really started singing properly when they knew they were fecked. We did something similar up at Bloomfield Road this year.

At 2-0, the camera panned onto the dancing Spain crowd. Right in the middle of them stood a quartet or Irish supporters, all with arms folded and faces like thunder. The missus and I had a giggle at that sight, remarking that HD was brilliant! :)

In the end though, it's hard to feel too much sympathy for the Republic when it comes to association football. As a country, they've never given much of a crap about their domestic game. The radio stations brazenly play jingles saying "all the English Premiership games" and they put the EPL on RTE on a Saturday night.

You reap what you sow, I suppose - and while they were playing the current European and World champions, they truly looked woeful last night.

Good to see Spain stuff them last night. However I'm not a big fan of Spain either, all the tippy tappy stuff sends me to sleep. On a couple of occasions two of the players knocked the ball backwards and forwards to each other about 7 or 8 times, almost showboating. I was surprised none of the Irish players dodn't have a pop at them, I'd have gone ballistic.