ROLLOVER - Crime novel set in Southampton

um pahars

Go out and buy this book!!!!!!

http://www.james-raven.com/

A shameless plug for a good mate of mine, but there is a heavy dose of topicality about it, in that the book he has just had published (and the detective) are based in Southampton and the City and surrounding areas are the backdrop to the plot.

He did a signing session in Waterstones on Saturday and hopes to establish the lead DC Jeff Temple as Southampton's top copper!!!!

Go out and buy this book!!!!!!

http://www.james-raven.com/

A shameless plug for a good mate of mine, but there is a heavy dose of topicality about it, in that the book he has just had published (and the detective) are based in Southampton and the City and surrounding areas are the backdrop to the plot.

He did a signing session in Waterstones on Saturday and hopes to establish the lead DC Jeff Temple as Southampton's top copper!!!!

Do you think it will be a good holiday read Steve.

Edited by Toomer

Gave it to my mum yesterday and she has just finished it!!! Apparently she couldnt put it down.

Read the first few pages a minute ago and will deffo be going back for more. Lots of local references in it which makes it more interesting. Think his long term plan is to get it on the TV!!!! Well he does have very good contacts in the media, so you never know.

Just looked. No it's not . Tell him to sort it out, and then I'll buy it. Bought the book by Daniel clay called broken on kindle, set in hedge end, very good read, being made into a film I believe, but sadly set in a grim northern town, not the glorious hedge end!

Just looked. No it's not . Tell him to sort it out, and then I'll buy it. Bought the book by Daniel clay called broken on kindle, set in hedge end, very good read, being made into a film I believe, but sadly set in a grim northern town, not the glorious hedge end!

According to this:

http://halebooks.wordpress.com/2012/03/01/rollover-author-james-raven-on-how-his-passion-for-writing-never-went-away/

an electronic version will be available in August

While we are on the subject of local crime fiction, does anyone else remember 'Target' - a hard hitting late 70's TV police series also set on Southampton's implausibly mean streets ?

Considered controversial in its day because of the (high) level of violence portrayed, it could have been the BBC's answer to 'The Sweeney' I suppose, but unlike that true classic it only ran for one series and has (to the best of my knowledge) never been repeated for some strange reason.

The teenage version of me found it highly entertaining, but there again I was also into Terry & June so I may not be the most reliable judge of what is good 70's television.

Always interesting to watch Ruth Rendell's Inspector Wexford programmes, as they were mostly set in Romsey for the TV programme.

I liked watching Inspector Morse (and the offshoot, Lewis) because it's set in Oxford. I know many of the pubs featured in the programmes and it used to amuse me that, when doing a hospital scene, the outside of the Radcliffe Infirmary was used but the inside definitely wasn't.

Ironically, Morse's death (from a heart attack) WAS filmed at the John Radcliffe hospital at the time that its cardiac unit was under investigation!

While we are on the subject of local crime fiction, does anyone else remember 'Target' - a hard hitting late 70's TV police series also set on Southampton's implausibly mean streets.

Didnt ring a bell at all with, and still didn't even after looking it up on the interweb. Patrick Mower in the lead no less.

Can only presume it was on after my bedtime???? But the. Again remember The Professionals from the same era.

I went into Waterstones today to see if they had it in stock. They only have two copies available from their warehouse (for the whole country?) and those are the hardback version. Paperback due out in October they reckon.

Shame - I wanted it for holiday reading next week but I won't fork out for a hardback :(

On the local scene - I just happen to be reading "The Fulcrum Files" by Mark Chisnell. It's a thriller/spy novel set in the pre-war era of Supermarine (Spitfire development - hence the spy bit) and the Hamble/Bursledon sailing scene - which makes it more interesting. I'm a great crime/thriller/spy novel fan but this one hasn't got my pulse racing yet.

Lots of local landmarks get mentioned plus "Saints loss to Bradford in the second division". (Haven't checked this out for authenticity yet!)

I'll certainly pick up Rollover when it's out in paperback or kindle

I went into Waterstones today to see if they had it in stock. They only have two copies available from their warehouse (for the whole country?) and those are the hardback version. Paperback due out in October they reckon.

Shame - I wanted it for holiday reading next week but I won't fork out for a hardback :(

The author just asked what Waterstones you

went to

• 1 year later...

Just finished reading Rollover - on kindle for those who were waiting - great read, decent plot with some good twists. A book I'd recommend reading, the many local references make it very easy to picture certain scenes in your mind and add an extra element of interest.