Sci-fi Fans

Saint J 77

What Science Fiction do you enjoy?

I like many of the stories Science Fiction can create and have seen a lot of Sci Fi over the years. It probably started with Star Trek the original series,then Star Wars and then grew from there. I love the orignal Twilight Zone and to a lesser extend the Outer limits. But over the years I have watched tons of Science Fiction on TV and at the movies. I've watched the good, the bad and the truly terrible. Its just a subject I find summons up the most interesting if not complex stories.

If I was going to recommend one current Sci Fi themed show, it would be Fringe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fringe_(TV_series)

So what Films, books, or television shows with Sci Fi themes do you like or can recommend?

Edited by Saint J 77

I'm a massive fan of Star Trek, particularly Deep Space 9. Excellent performances, and was very interesting to see characters have a go at each other. Currently on a limited re-watch, taking in the Mirror Universe and Dominion Arc episodes. Never done anything as geeky as go to a convention though.

I am done with Star Wars. Can't stand the prequels or the fact that Lucas keeps mucking about with the originals (see redlettermedia.com for some superb SF reviews ). The Darth Vader Noooooo bolox on the BluRay was the final straw :D

The best recent sci-fi show I've seen is probably the reimagined Battlestar Galactica. Bloody hard to watch at times, yet always compelling - couldn't take my eyes off it. Incredibly brave television.

All time favourite sci-fi show has to go to Babylon 5. First and last seasons were a little bit dodgy in parts, but what a middle. Just didn't let up, dealt with massive themes, had some massive holy sh*t moments and by the end of it all, resolved all of its own questions. Bit dated now, so it'll take you a few episodes of acclimatising to relatively crap special effects - but it is still genius.

Fave recent sci-fi film is District 9.

Like pap I am a Niner. I have enjoyed all modern Star Trek series put particularly enjoyed DS9. The cast was superb, the overall storylines brilliant and the idea of a story telling a tale of a vast epic and politically diverse war absolutely captivated my then teenage mind.

Recently I have absolutely loved the remake of Battlestar Galactica, even if it did lose it's focus a little at the end.

Like many I discovered Firefly only after seeing the film Serenity. Incredibly good series that was killed off far too soon.

Not sure if it counts as Science Fiction but more verges on superstition and horror, Being Human is a recent favourite... and it has survived a complete main cast change and has emerged even stronger in my opinion. That takes a lot!

Doctor Who takes me in a fits and spots. I sometimes like it (Currently and David Tennant alongside Billy Piper) sometimes don't really care (David Tennant alongside Martha Jones.... bloody awful and towards the end of his run, just went far too OTT) and the same with Torchwood, really did enjoy Miracle Day but lost interest before the end of the second series.

Favourite films: Event Horizon, Aliens series, Sunshine (Danny Boyles best film) and Equilibrium (Great action/sci fi matrix rip off.)

Yeah, Firefly is a great show - it's only problem was being aired on the rather skittish Fox Network of the day, so was mishandled and cancelled. Would definitely recommend it to anyone yet to see it. Establishes itself slowly, but hits a run of episodes where each one seems better than the last. Serenity is a satisfying conclusion, but I wish we had more.

Colinjb is right about the final season of Galactica. I really dug the ending, and to be fair to the writers, they kept the tension up throughout - even if the plot meandered into some weird places.

All time favourite sci-fi show has to go to Babylon 5. First and last seasons were a little bit dodgy in parts, but what a middle. Just didn't let up, dealt with massive themes, had some massive holy sh*t moments and by the end of it all, resolved all of its own questions. Bit dated now, so it'll take you a few episodes of acclimatising to relatively crap special effects - but it is still genius.

Made on an Amiga if I remember correctly! haha

My all time favourite Sci fi is Star Trek. All the tv shows from The original series through to Enterprise. All the movies too. Well expect for the 2009 movie, which was fine as a pop corn piece of cinema, I just hated how 40 plus years of continuity was scrapped to make an action movie in space. DS9 is a very enjoyable series, it really came into its own when the dominion war got started and from there it never looked back. But it had so many brilliant stories and characters it was always going to be good. There is so much to love about Star Trek, I have all the series and movies on DVD, so I always watch it every now and again. so I must be a geek too. Like you pap I've never been to a convention though.

Edited by Saint J 77

I was also dissapointed to see Star Trek: Enterprise end after 4 series. The 4th series was the first one to actually get it right! Shame the whole temporal war/Xindi plotlines killed the series off.

Coilnjb I was very sad to see Enterprise get cancelled after series 4, it was really just getting to be something special. Another example of TV people not realising the value of the show. Even though it had low ratings, they would of made a killing on DVD sells if the had made the standard 7 series star trek shows normally got.

Made on an Amiga if I remember correctly! haha

Yeah that's right, it was. The effects do look really dated now but the show had some great stories. I never gave Babylon 5 the time of day when it first came out. I watched it a few times on tv but never got into it. It was only last year I watched series 1 to 5 back to back that I realised it was actually very good in places.

Star trek has been great in all it's iterations especially DS9 and voyager

Voyager some times gets unfair heavy criticism from some fans but I enjoyed it on the whole. The holographic doctor is probably one of my favourite characters in the Star Trek universe although there have been too many great characters to say he is the best but certainly up there.

District 9, Event Horizon, The Alien series ( mainly Alien and Aliens but all worth a watch) Sunshine were all good movies. Equilibrium from what I remember was very an interesting idea, Although it was a long time ago. It starred Christian Bale didn't it? It was about taking a pill to remove all our emotions?

Personally on the film front I was blown away by a small independent film called called Moon. It was directed by Duncan Jones who is David Bowie's son. If you haven't seen it its definitely worth a watch.

The best scifi film is Timecop.

Ah Time Cop. Jean Claude Van Damne back in his heyday. Its a film that's a true product of its time. Full of plots holes and bad acting but strangely enjoyable even if it does verge on being truly terrible ;)

Equilibrium from what I remember was very an interesting idea, Although it was a long time ago. It starred Christian Bale didn't it? It was about taking a pill to remove all our emotions?

That's the one. And a type of gun based martial arts for the action sequences. The ludicrous 'Gun Kata' which also featured in Kurt Wimmer's next film..... the simply awful 'Ultraviolet.'

Dark Star and Silent Running are right up there in the film arena. The best Star Trek film, for me, is the latest one.

On TV Babylon 5 seems to be one that splits folk into those that are huge fans, and those that think it is abysmal - I fall into the former, I thought it was brilliant. I also used to like "Space - Above and Beyond", and V.

The genre in literature is so vast that it's difficult to be selective, but Philip K D!ck is so influential to modern productions, and I also like Isaac Asimov's writings.

( In 5 minutes time I'll have remembered a whole load of different stuff ).

Voyager some times gets unfair heavy criticism from some fans but I enjoyed it on the whole. The holographic doctor is probably one of my favourite characters in the Star Trek universe although there have been too many great characters to say he is the best but certainly up there.

Voyager's biggest problem was being on:-

a) At the same time as DS9.

b) After DS9 had finished.

It got a lot better after Seven of Nine joined.

On TV Babylon 5 seems to be one that splits folk into those that are huge fans, and those that think it is abysmal - I fall into the former, I thought it was brilliant.

It is tough to see past some of the ropey performances from the leads. Sinclair always gave off a strange vibe and Sheridan can be jarringly upbeat when you first meet him. Can be a bit "speechy" at times too. I remember cringing through a couple of Garibaldi's exposition monologues.

Some stunning performances from the other actors though, especially De'lenn, Londo and G'Kar.

What do the panel think of Farscape?

Very good. It only really got going once the character 'Scorpious' was introduced mind (end of the first series pap....)

The finale mini-series 'The Peacekeeper Wars' was a great conclusion.

It is tough to see past some of the ropey performances from the leads. Sinclair always gave off a strange vibe and Sheridan can be jarringly upbeat when you first meet him. Can be a bit "speechy" at times too. I remember cringing through a couple of Garibaldi's exposition monologues.

Some stunning performances from the other actors though, especially De'lenn, Londo and G'Kar.

I'd agree with that. Gkar was my favourite, brilliant actor, sad to hear he died some time ago, not long after all the spin off series had finished.

It's one of those things that I keep meaning to watch but am finding the first season a bit sticky.

Worth it, in your opinion?

Yeah I love it. It's basically Blakes 7 with a budget!

I love the sheer imagination of the story, the depth of the main characters and how the 'spaceships' are actual living, growing entities themselves.

And of course, as with Star Treks 7of9 you have Chianna!

Also the fact that they swear and go to the toilet appealed to the non-pc part of me.

Massive Star Trek fan here too, agree with those who say Enterprise was cancelled too early as well! I've never been to a convention but going to one in London this October so I can meet Shatner (won't be going as far as some and dressing up though)! Same weekend as West Ham away, which I'll also be going to - what a weekend!

Massive Star Trek fan here too, agree with those who say Enterprise was cancelled too early as well! I've never been to a convention but going to one in London this October so I can meet Shatner (won't be going as far as some and dressing up though)! Same weekend as West Ham away, which I'll also be going to - what a weekend!

Is this the Convention that has all five actors who played Captains in attendance?

Currrently watching Terminator - The Sarah Connor Chronicles (Terminator 1 and 2 are two of my favourite films) and it's surprisingly good, much better entertainment than Terminator 3 and Salvation anyway!

Battlestar Galactica, Farscape, Babylon 5 and Stargate all on my "to watch" list

Voyager's biggest problem was being on:-

a) At the same time as DS9.

b) After DS9 had finished.

It got a lot better after Seven of Nine joined.

I felt sorry for Kes getting the boot to make way for Seven but she was certainly a very watchable replacement in more ways than one ;) Jeri Ryan was a good actress and got some good stories. I particularly like the episode Raven. I never did buy the Chakotay relationship in the last Episode "Endgame" though.

Currrently watching Terminator - The Sarah Connor Chronicles (Terminator 1 and 2 are two of my favourite films) and it's surprisingly good, much better entertainment than Terminator 3 and Salvation anyway!

Battlestar Galactica, Farscape, Babylon 5 and Stargate all on my "to watch" list

Try saying that out loud five times in a row. Ain't easy.

That's the one!

Got to say - that's the first one that's even tempted me. Problem is, once you start looking at the various packages it can get pricey. Something like £900 for the full package. Youch.

Latest Star Trek movie was the best BUT some of it's predecessors are still enjoyable.

Farscape a mix of woof woof and decent stories.

Currently Fringe works well, but Falling Skies got better and better and S2 should be about to start. Worth a download or remainder bin DVD before that. Stick with it. Starts off dangerously "Terra Nova family based" but manages to eventually move on and by the end you realise it could become REALLY good

The Battlestar remake? Perfection at the time, thoughtful and great effects for TV. The ending still leaves you with a Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Personally love Sci Fi Peter F Hamilton & his soap opera style are enjoyable reads.

But c'mon old farts The original Star Trek. How far fetched did Automatic opening doors seem back then?

I felt sorry for Kes getting the boot to make way for Seven but she was certainly a very watchable replacement in more ways than one ;) Jeri Ryan was a good actress and got some good stories. I particularly like the episode Raven. I never did buy the Chakotay relationship in the last Episode "Endgame" though.

Thought Raven was a great episode. Isn't that the one where they find her family's old ship? Voyager fleshed out the Borg in the same way that TNG fleshed out the Klingons. Overall, I think they did a good job. Some questionable choices in places, but I probably feel better for having seen them.

Thought Raven was a great episode. Isn't that the one where they find her family's old ship? Voyager fleshed out the Borg in the same way that TNG fleshed out the Klingons. Overall, I think they did a good job. Some questionable choices in places, but I probably feel better for having seen them.

Only two downsides of Voyager are Janeway and the fact they made the Borg beatable imo

Latest Star Trek movie was the best BUT some of it's predecessors are still enjoyable.

Farscape a mix of woof woof and decent stories.

Currently Fringe works well, but Falling Skies got better and better and S2 should be about to start. Worth a download or remainder bin DVD before that. Stick with it. Starts off dangerously "Terra Nova family based" but manages to eventually move on and by the end you realise it could become REALLY good

The Battlestar remake? Perfection at the time, thoughtful and great effects for TV. The ending still leaves you with a Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Personally love Sci Fi Peter F Hamilton & his soap opera style are enjoyable reads.

But c'mon old farts The original Star Trek. How far fetched did Automatic opening doors seem back then?

I'd recommend that any Trek fan watches II, III and IV in order. Search for Spock really got slated at the time, but the three films together make an underrated trilogy. Actually a pleasure to see actors so comfy in their roles and just nailing it.

Number V is a bit self-indulgent though :) Uhura's Dance. (shudders)

Once went to a Dr Who convention at Longleat. Jon Pertwee & Tom Baker & The Brigadier were there.

It was an excellent day out. Was in a queue for one tent and I got a shhh and tap on the shoulder. Turned around to see a Sontaran. He gave me a wink and took my place next to Ex Mrs D_P. She was rabbit bored rabbit bored this is rubbish bored followed by SCREAM...... Oh how I laughed.....

Bit later in queue for another tent I got a tap on the shoulder - turned round to find a Cyberman standing there (Old stylee) Trust me, I nearly cacked my pants. NEVER forgotten that moment.

Don't let Turkish see this thread!

That's the one!

Ah I was tempted to go to see that one, but don't think I will. I always thought it would be cool to meet the actors especially Shatner, but they will be inundated by fans that day. Because of all the captains are going to be at the convention I reckon it will be packed to the rafters with fans. Hope you get the chance to meet him though. You might get lucky and he might sing a song from his Major Tom Album ;)

haha

Only two downsides of Voyager are Janeway and the fact they made the Borg beatable imo

A big mistake. Always convenient that they only attacked one ship at a time before though.....

I know a lot of Trek fans think this, but for me, aren't most enemies in fiction supposed to be defeatable? "Good" must eventually triumph, right?

If you're going to introduce a villain, they've got to be beatable if you intend on following the usual tropes. Besides, they did have Seven as an "in" to all of that stuff - which gave their victories an element of plausibility.

Also, the Borg were much worse handled in First Contact, imo. Worst execution of a plan ever, plus they personified the Borg by creating the Queen. Part of the terror of the Borg was the impenetrable collective hive mind. That concept sorta gets diluted when you make a Queen 'cos you need an antagonist for a movie - and I think that the TNG movies have as much a part to play in the Borg becoming less scary.

Personally, I thought they were scarier when they were an unknowable and quintessentially alien hive mind. The introduction of the Queen kinda made them seem like drones with a leader. Voyager was stuck with that from then on in.

Ah I was tempted to go to see that one, but don't think I will. I always thought it would be cool to meet the actors especially Shatner, but they will be inundated by fans that day. Because of all the captains are going to be at the convention I reckon it will be packed to the rafters with fans. Hope you get the chance to meet him though. You might get lucky and he might sing a song from his Major Tom Album ;)

haha

You can pay 45 quid to guarantee a picture with him, thought it was worth it given he's not gonna be around much longer and he was one of my heroes growing up (along with MLT and Liam Gallagher, odd mix I know!)

That Major Tom cover is a classic, right up there with Eric Cartman's Poker Face!

You can pay 45 quid to guarantee a picture with him, thought it was worth it given he's not gonna be around much longer and he was one of my heroes growing up (along with MLT and Liam Gallagher, odd mix I know!)

That Major Tom cover is a classic, right up there with Eric Cartman's Poker Face!

Shatner is looking great for 81, he'll probably end up living for ever ;)

WilliamShatnersHead.png

Yeah that's right. They find her parents old ship and she remembers being assimilated. I know as its been said voyager made the Borg look weak but I prefer to think it was more to do with making Janeway look good.

I know a lot of Trek fans think this, but for me, aren't most enemies in fiction supposed to be defeatable? "Good" must eventually triumph, right?

If you're going to introduce a villain, they've got to be beatable if you intend on following the usual tropes. Besides, they did have Seven as an "in" to all of that stuff - which gave their victories an element of plausibility.

Also, the Borg were much worse handled in First Contact, imo. Worst execution of a plan ever, plus they personified the Borg by creating the Queen. Part of the terror of the Borg was the impenetrable collective hive mind. That concept sorta gets diluted when you make a Queen 'cos you need an antagonist for a movie - and I think that the TNG movies have as much a part to play in the Borg becoming less scary.

Personally, I thought they were scarier when they were an unknowable and quintessentially alien hive mind. The introduction of the Queen kinda made them seem like drones with a leader. Voyager was stuck with that from then on in.

I agree with your assessment of the Borg here. In The Next Generation it seemed as there was no reasoning with the Borg. Introducting the queen meant there was a single mnd that could be changed, if you were clever enough. It took away that feeling of terror of a cold and heartless decision by committee :D . I still like the Borg as an enemy though even though some have complained they were over used, I looked forward to the Voyager Borg episodes.

Edited by Saint J 77

Dark Skies was outstanding......some of Dr Who is superb...Contact was great...love Star Trek...the latest is excellent.

Dark Skies was excellent, its a shame it only got a short run. The stuff with the main characters wife getting taken over and then being so heartless towards him was brilliantly heart breaking.

This is my sort of thread!

Been a Trekky for years, taking in all of it bar the original series (seen the movies though). Can't get into the OS purely for visual reasons, it's so dated I just can't get involved in it.

Enterprise was criminally cancelled earlier than we wanted I agree, although I have read the books by Michael A. Martin, which continue (and slightly amend) the story, covering the Romulan War that surely would have featured had ENT been allowed to continue.

I'm not much of a Star Wars fan I have to admit, never really seen the attraction. To me its an underdeveloped Star Trek. Three old movies that just don't have enough about them for me to get involved.

I am currently knee deep in Frank Herbert's book DUNE, and I'm really enjoying it. I am loving my sci-fi reading, and it was the Enterprise books that got me started. If you are a sci-fi fan and like a good read I have to recommend the works of Vernor Vinge, his novels "A Fire Upon the Deep" and the later "A Deepness In The Sky" are the best books I have read, and by some distance. They took over my life and had my mind wondering around all over the place.

And Futurama is back this week! Just downloaded the two new episodes, will get my fix tonight when I get back from work.