Wimbledon

Thedelldays

I usually pop down with my mate one day in the first week to try and score on the posh girls, it's not a bad day out if it's sunny even if you ain't got tickets for the show courts there's plenty of stuff to do, at least in the first week, after that it's all sh!tty doubles and juniors on the outside courts. I ain't going unless the weather hots up a bit tho!

all the females (UK wise) are virtually out.......in day 2

Ohhh right - used to follow tennis big time in the days of connors, borge and chrissie and all that - but sort of lost interest. Its one of those tournaments when if you see english success in your lifetime you could probably say that you have witnessed a true historic occassion - a bit like a man standing on the moon.

Andy Murray is by far one of the best Sportsmen the UK has at the moment (in a "big sport"). If as a nation we could comfortably say we had the 4th best footballer in the world, the media would be jizzing themselves. He's achieved more than any British player in the past 100 years or so.

In the women's game, having watched them both for a few years now I'm fairly confident that Heather Watson and Laura robson both have the potential to be top 10 players in the coming years.

Andy Murray is by far one of the best Sportsmen the UK has at the moment (in a "big sport"). If as a nation we could comfortably say we had the 4th best footballer in the world, the media would be jizzing themselves. He's achieved more than any British player in the past 100 years or so.

In the women's game, having watched them both for a few years now I'm fairly confident that Heather Watson and Laura robson both have the potential to be top 10 players in the coming years.

Erm no he hasn't. Fred Perry achieved loads more. He actually won something for a start.

Erm no he hasn't. Fred Perry achieved loads more. He actually won something for a start.

He did say 'at the moment'. AFAIK Fred Perry is no longer with us. And when he was, it was an amateur game where money didn't matter and only gentlemen played.

It's a whole different ball game now.

Yep. And if his tactics were less boring and defensive.

Shame you didn't watch this afternoon's match then. He was far from defensive and absolutely wiped the floor with Davydenko who has been in the world top ten for the past 7 years or so and a Grand Slam semi-finalist on a number of occasions. Murray beat him 1, 1 and 2.

Of course clay and hard court play tends to be more defensive than grass but his tactics and mindgames with his opponent were breathtaking today.

Shame you didn't watch this afternoon's match then. He was far from defensive and absolutely wiped the floor with Davydenko who has been in the world top ten for the past 7 years or so and a Grand Slam semi-finalist on a number of occasions. Murray beat him 1, 1 and 2.

Of course clay and hard court play tends to be more defensive than grass but his tactics and mindgames with his opponent were breathtaking today.

so it should be......being first round etc

so it should be......being first round etc

Jamie in not reading / failing to understand tennis and the ability of Murray's first round opponent shocker :D

Respected commentators were saying that Murray could well fall at this first hurdle - he treated it like the high jump and made this very talented and experienced top 10 player look like a novice.

That's not quite right. The seedings are established and then it's a draw to see who plays the seeds.

serious question. what seed was andy Ms opponent this year?

edit...he was not seeded. not in the predicted top 32 in wimbledon. and is no. 47 in the world

you would expect the no4 seed and no4 in the world to dispatch said opponent...anything else would have been a complete shock result

Edited by Thedelldays

Laura Robson had a great go today. 3rd youngest person in the draw. She's one for the future, top 10 definitely. Hits the ball so hard.

People need to get over the 'anyone but England' joke Murray made years ago too.

Love Wimbledon though. Going again this year, but I do hate how everyone suddenly thinks they are a tennis expert based on watching a couple of matches over 2 weeks once a year. The same people who argue Andy Murray is **** when he is probably the best tennis player to be born in the UK ever.

edit...he was not seeded. not in the predicted top 32 in wimbledon. and is no. 47 in the world

you would expect the no4 seed and no4 in the world to dispatch said opponent...anything else would have been a complete shock result

Davydenko is ranked 41 in the world if I remember the prematch stuff correctly. Used to be top 5 though and a fairly steady opponent. A big test for Murray in the first round and I was a bit worried because Murray often starts slow. Came through well though, but he has a very tough draw to come.

Davydenko is ranked 41 in the world if I remember the prematch stuff correctly. Used to be top 5 though and a fairly steady opponent. A big test for Murray in the first round and I was a bit worried because Murray often starts slow. Came through well though, but he has a very tough draw to come.

he is no 47....check the ATP site if you don't believe me

Absolutely right. However, look here:

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Top-Players/Nikolay-Davydenko.aspx

And you will see that 2010 was the first year he'd been outside the top 10. From memory, I think that may have been because of the distraction of the claims that he'd been involved in a betting scam (he was cleared).

The way that seedings work is that top 16 are expected to beat lesser ranked players and then start to meet each other in the later stages of the competition.

So, with respect, the fact that he's ranked 47 this year is a bit of a red herring. Just take a moment to read just what he's achieved over the past 5 years. He was no pushover

I don't understand why people are so keen to paint Andy Murray as a rubbish player.

im not..quite the opposite..I said he should be expected (given his level of talent) to brush past the worlds no 47 and a wimbledon unseeded player in round 1.....you and BTF are making out how brilliant it was...to win a round 1 tie..

im not..quite the opposite..I said he should be expected (given his level of talent) to brush past the worlds no 47 and a wimbledon unseeded player in round 1.....you and BTF are making out how brilliant it was...to win a round 1 tie..

Not at all. Just it was a tougher than normal first round. I think me and BTF are just a little bit protective as all tennis followers are because of the constant and unfair Murray bashing when he has achieved a lot.

Not at all. Just it was a tougher than normal first round. I think me and BTF are just a little bit protective as all tennis followers are because of the constant and unfair Murray bashing when he has achieved a lot.

well, that is our problem...over praising something which is nothing special...I probably believe murry has more ability than you think he has..given how much of an achievement you think it was...where I said it should be expected....and I DO expect him to get to at least the Semi's.....he is that good

well, that is our problem...over praising something which is nothing special...I probably believe murry has more ability than you think he has..given how much of an achievement you think it was...where I said it should be expected....and I DO expect him to get to at least the Semi's.....he is that good

Yep, he is a fantastic player.

then, winning round one...of all the possible round one opponents should be expected...

Indeed it should be expected. None of us are saying it wasn't. All that we said is that it was a particularly tough match up for a first round, probably the hardest possible. We are just saying that the way he dealt with it demonstrates his ability.

You really should ignore Davydenko's low ranking this year, TDD.

Players' rankings (not the same as seedings) are very much dependent on the ATP tournaments. If they don't play in those tournaments for whatever reason their rankings suffer.

The Williams sisters have both had their rankings slashed in the past because they've been injured and therefore unable to play in ATP tournaments. Maria Sharapova was out of the top 5 in 2007 and 2008 because of shoulder injuries and was ranked 126 in 2009. She was ranked 18 in 2010.

2 to 3 years ago I thought Murray was a complete coc8.

But he has won me over, I really want him to be successful now.

But as TDD pointed out in the OP, 95% of tennis fans at WImbledon are mentally deranged.

2 to 3 years ago I thought Murray was a complete coc8.

But he has won me over, I really want him to be successful now.

But as TDD pointed out in the OP, 95% of tennis fans at WImbledon are mentally deranged.

Oh and 95% of racegoers are emblazened with the most strange clothing, tweed, red/yellow/blue trousers and look retarded.