Wimbledon

Thedelldays

Bit like when we won promotion back to the top flight, anyone would have thought we had won the premier league .......................

It's completely different. The NPC s a totally different competition to the premiership for a start. I was always pleased that we have got to the Premiership but of course it isn't the same as winning the Prem. We won't go down in football history for getting promotion.

I bet she's dead worried, knowing that :rolleyes: How can you 'hate' someone when you don't know them. I mean, I don't even hate you!

She probably doesn't. Believe it or not, like 99.9% of the world, she probably doesn't read this forum.:rolleyes:

of course he isn't.

but he bears the brunt of the many English people that are utterly fuked off/bored/tired of scottish people just being so bitter/anti English

And that is just silly. My family are

Scottish and are certainly not bitter or anti-english and neither are their friends. It's all in their heads.

And that is just silly. My family are

Scottish and are certainly not bitter or anti-english and neither are their friends. It's all in their heads.

I said he bears the brunt of the tiredness so many have for the bitter scottish...not that murray is bitter as I'm sure he isn't and I am sure that anyone but england was a joke....but that joke allowed him to take the much flack people have

if you don't think there is that feeling in much of scotland when it comes to English sport then you are very very mistaken

I said he bears the brunt of the tiredness so many have for the bitter scottish...not that murray is bitter as I'm sure he isn't and I am sure that anyone but england was a joke....but that joke allowed him to take the much flack people have

if you don't think there is that feeling in much of scotland when it comes to English sport then you are very very mistaken

I'll warrant you in sport(football really, because of historic divisions). I thought you meant Scottish people in general are bitter.

he wore a portugal shirt when England played portugal in the world cup. Glad the pr/ck lost today.

Federer is incredible. Murray just short on the day. Must be devastating for Murray. Such a shame, but he will move on and he has many more chances, next up Olympics and then his favoured hard courts.

Very short. Federer was totally in control after the first set. Congratulations to Federer who is a born winner and just amazing. Murray continues to be a loser.

Tbf, even if he had have won, you negative lot would have taken the tack "it's only because Nadal was knocked out"

Nope. Fair play if he beat Federer. He was quite lucky in that he had a fairly easy side of the draw but if he had managed to do it then I would have held my hands up and said well done. He didn't though he lost like usual.

Tbf, even if he had have won, you negative lot would have taken the tack "it's only because Nadal was knocked out"

TBF and from the lessons we have learnt as Saints fans in the last couple of years, Murray was NEVER going to beat Federer today. It is what happens NOW that is important.

The fans did not TRULY believe he would win. Neither, deep down did Murray, of that I am sure. He had his chances, but if it had been a non-slam would he have faded so quickly once he realised he may have missed his chance?

The only thing stopping Murray from reaching the next level is his head. The sheer undying belief that he is the best. Federer had that out there today, Andy had it for about 45 minutes.

Now it is down to his coach, Murray will either now learn and go on or he will live his life thinking IF ONLY.

In reference to Alp's comment about Cricket. The England team (and it's fans) have, like us Saints, gone through a very strange journey in recent years, we know we will win and are surprised when we don't and move on.

Murray needs to do the same and so do the fans.

Well played Federer...possibly the best tennis player in my life time.

Also, I doff my cap to Murray. I've no shame in saying that I welled up during his speech. Some genuine emotion there.

I know I'm bucking the 'Scots vs English' stereotype but I'm genuinely warming to the chap.

He isn't as good as the top 3 so would have needed a superhuman performance or Federer to be off his game a little for him to win today. unfortunately neither happened but he played well and did GB proud, no matter what the anti-Scottish brigade on here say.

He should have changed those shoes during the break though as he fell 3 times on the slippery court, if it was ****ing down so bad why didn't they go in at 1-1 in the 3rd instead of 1-1 and 40-0??

Nadal the loser, you mean?

Nadal was a loser in this tournament yes and I'm sure he would be the first to admit that. Nadal though has also won absolutely loads because he is a winner. Murray has never won anything that matters. He is a loser. Do you see the difference?

Wasn't that a panama hat? To show his support for Englands opponents on that occasion?

It really beats me how any Englishman or woman can support him.

Maybe we're clever enough to rise above it rather than lower ourselves to the same level. Just a hunch.

Had his chance to over come his glass jaw and win a Grand Slam title and get the confidence boost to become one of the true greats rather than an also-ran, after Nadal had a brain fart on his side of the draw. He blew it, boy did he blew it and I reckon he will never recover and win a Grand Slam, and fulfill his promise.

His mental block just became a mental monolith today.

I see two main things. Firstly, until today, Murray had beaten Federer more than Federer had beaten Murray. They are now drawn. He has also beaten Nadal 5 times, although Nadal has beaten him more times. He has beaten Djokovic 5 times and lost 8 times. So he's been a winner on many occasions over men above him in the world rankings. But these are ALL matches, and you only want to consider the slams.

Fine - but last year he earned over $5m. So he's not doing so badly, is he - beating all the top 3 on occasions and earning that sort of money.

The "crying" at the end was really fake. Clearly his Public Relations team had coached him to do it to repair the bad publicity he has had about his grumpyness. Already some lunatic has told Radio5 they now like Murray now he has cried in public.

How emotionally crippled the Great British Public are. He would have been a hero if he had won. As he lost (bottled) it he is still a hero battling against the odds i.e someone shutting the roof.

I see two main things. Firstly, until today, Murray had beaten Federer more than Federer had beaten Murray. They are now drawn. He has also beaten Nadal 5 times, although Nadal has beaten him more times. He has beaten Djokovic 5 times and lost 8 times. So he's been a winner on many occasions over men above him in the world rankings. But these are ALL matches, and you only want to consider the slams.

Fine - but last year he earned over $5m. So he's not doing so badly, is he - beating all the top 3 on occasions and earning that sort of money.

If that's what you want to consider success. I'm certain that Andy himself would consider that failure.

Leaving the wind-up aside for a minute, I just looked Nadal's record up on Wiki:

Nadal has won eleven Grand Slam singles titles, including a record seven French Open titles, the 2008 Olympic gold medal in singles, a record 21 ATP World Tour Masters 1000 tournaments, and was also part of the Spain Davis Cup team that won the finals in 2004,2008, 2009 and 2011. He completed the Career Grand Slam by winning the 2010 US Open, being the seventh player in history, and the youngest in the Open Era, to achieve it

That's some record eh? I don't follow tennis, but it looks like Spain are dominating the Davis cup just like they dominate football. Can we have some success like that please?

Had his chance to over come his glass jaw and win a Grand Slam title and get the confidence boost to become one of the true greats rather than an also-ran, after Nadal had a brain fart on his side of the draw. He blew it, boy did he blew it and I reckon he will never recover and win a Grand Slam, and fulfill his promise.

His mental block just became a mental monolith today.

I'd disagree with that.

Today Murray overcame the stigma of not taking a single set in a Grand Slam final, and he at least competed this time. He had chances to take the second set and with a little more luck could have won today, while in the previous finals he couldn't compete at all.

Obviously he's gutted right now, but like he said, he's getting closer. He'll come back stronger.

I'd disagree with that.

Today Murray overcame the stigma of not taking a single set in a Grand Slam final, and he at least competed this time. He had chances to take the second set and with a little more luck could have won today, while in the previous finals he couldn't compete at all.

Obviously he's gutted right now, but like he said, he's getting closer. He'll come back stronger.

I don't think it had anything to do with luck. In the end Roger was vastly superior over the entirety of the match. He is the best player of all time.

I don't think it had anything to do with luck. In the end Roger was vastly superior over the entirety of the match. He is the best player of all time.

Granted but age is not on his side and Andy will be better next year where as Roger will flail ala Sampras at some point, they all have to pass the mantle on!!

I'm not saying Federer was lucky, he wasn't and deserved to win.

I'm saying that if Murray had gotten lucky himself (taking one of the break point opportunities in the 2nd set mainly) he could have won today, as then the momentum would have been with him, and Federer's poor play up until then (far more unforced errors than normal) might have continued, especially as the crowd would have been even more in the match at that point. (And if that had happened, Federer would have been unlucky.)

That's the reason I think Murray will come back stronger, there's a vast difference between having been completely outplayed in every final you've been in, and believing that, on another day, you might have won a final. That just makes you hungrier.

And i see two main things. He's never beaten any of them when it really matters, ie in finals and semi finals of grand slams. England beat Spain in a friendly, it didn't bloody well count for anything last month when they were winning their third title in a row.

And you have highlighted another major flaw in sport in general these days, ridiculous amounts of money on offer without actually having to win anything.

Turkish, are you suggesting tennis should revert to being an amateur game - only 'gentlemen' should play? Because that would mean only the wealthy could participate (the same could apply to cricket, rugby, football, athletics .....)

An expert tennis commentator was saying only the other day that the likes of Fred Perry wouldn't have stood a chance against today's players because the level of fitness and athleticism is so much higher. That probably wouldn't have happened if tennis remained an amateur sport.