Olympic Opening Ceremony

dune

It was all going so well - why on Earth did they have to get Macca on!? They get the new generation of kids to light the flame as a symbol of inspiring the youth, then get a man who has spent the last 40 years living on past glories on stage to get the crowd to do some karaoke with him. Sooo cringeworthy!

It was all going so well - why on Earth did they have to get Macca on!? They get the new generation of kids to light the flame as a symbol of inspiring the youth, then get a man who has spent the last 40 years living on past glories on stage to get the crowd to do some karaoke with him. Sooo cringeworthy!

In fairness, Dizzy rascal had already been on and NDubz were on tour.

all great, apart from the choice of kids to light the flame,

The pressure on them to succeed in whatever the f88(c it is they do will be immense.

Out of the seven I reckon, 1 suicide and 2 junkies within the next 5 years.

Ali doesn't know Wtf is going on. Terrible exploitation.

"Wave muhammad" :(

https://twitter.com/#!/search/wave%20muhammad

Apart from that a very good show! As stated numerous times, quite a change from the perfect facade put up in Beijing - that's not what England is about! Whether you like the Mr. Bean part or not, it's just perfectly British.

You could well feel proud of having your history and culture showcased for the rest of the world in such a manner!

Bit of an anti-climax.

Don't think picking the "new generation" was the right thing to do. How do we know they are going to achieve what people like Redgrave has?

Not for me.

They are representative of the future youth in sport not 7 individuals.

So let's have a show of hands of those who are loving it. So far we've got BTF, SaintAndy666, Colinjb and thedelldays. Anyone else?

Me my 2 kids, it was excellent. The interpretation of our history was also excellent, proud British citizens celebrating it, the colour of thier skin does not distort history. Using your perverse logic would mean that the sealed knot would have to have a bar on non white members. And the cauldron was an absolute masterpiece.

all great, apart from the choice of kids to light the flame,

The pressure on them to succeed in whatever the f88(c it is they do will be immense.

Out of the seven I reckon, 1 suicide and 2 junkies within the next 5 years.

It was not about them as individuals, they were representing the future, or is that a bit to difficult for you.

Anyone see this? Boris in the background aswell, is he laughing or facepalming i wonder GDeiQ.jpg

This bloke Nazi saluting when the Germans came out shocked my entire household into silence. We couldnt believe our eyes. Boris clearly thinks its f**king hillarious.

I really enjoyed the opening ceremony. Highlight for me were the Pistorius Punks giving the full treatment to Pretty Vacant, also enjoyed the Arctic Monkeys and some of the video montages were great too. For some bizarre reason Jacques Rogge's speech made my eyes well up a bit..

Stupid question now. How are they going to do the Hammer/Discus/Javelin with a fook-off great torch in the middle of the stadium ???

EDIT: still having trouble accepting that Lizzie co-operated with the James Bond skit.

Edited by alpine_saint

It was not about them as individuals, they were representing the future, or is that a bit to difficult for you.

of course, silly me, these kids will just disappear into the background and never be mentioned again,

Superb stuff. Loved it, although Macca now has a voice like a pigeons fart. Camera angles were a bit skew too, too many close ups of people instead of the overall feel. But fantastic feat nonetheless. Think the Beeb could have done a better job though.

Edited by Special K

Heads off to Britain for having the best ceremony in history in my eyes.

You guys did a wonderful job !

Awful still of the German official, but he actually was waving and caught with that still in an arkward moment.

He used the wrong arm for a Nazi salute, too... ;)

This bloke Nazi saluting when the Germans came out shocked my entire household into silence. We couldnt believe our eyes. Boris clearly thinks its f**king hillarious.

If anyone else has said this, I'd assume they were joking. Clearly your entire household is equally as mental as you if you really thought he was doing a nazi salute (he was dancing to Stayin' Alive).

At the start I was like ...'WTF'? Expecting Bilbo Baggins to come out of 'hill', sheep, cows and geese... grazing in Hobbiton. The ring forging was pretty cool, although after Hobbiton, was half expecting Sauron to turn up, but we got Voldemort instead. NHS beds? what all that about?

The child catcher? Mary Poppins? all we needed was **** Van Dyke doing Cockney and we would have had the complete set..... then the celebration of texting... and just when I though I could relax, Frankie said I could.

By this time the cynic in me was beginnning to imagine international response.... :uhoh:

But to 'get it' I guess you have to realise that we were never going to do a Beijing, impossible to out do their precison timed robotic, if spectacular show. To get it, you needed to embrace what we are about - quirky humour, a great history of industry, culture, and social justice... with a slight feel of organized chaos, but without letting this get all totally up its own arse... Not a Royalist, but hats off to the The Queen for the cameo with Bond, nice touch.

The Cauldron thing? Probably in my opinion the best ever... Kids lighting the flame? Why not, its part of the theme of the games.....just a shame they went an ruined it all with Macca at the end but at least he avoided 'Mull of Kintyre'

Not bad... Now onto Cavendish and a first Gold today.

PS as 1885 said, Nazi salutes are with teh right hand, suspect he was doing a wave that had an unfortunate similarity.... so Boris creaming himself probably says more about him than the German rep.

Just had a look on a Yank chat room with hundreds of comments...I like this one..

ah man, that was amazing. It captured the wackiness of the UK with its amazing history. It was not like a whole bunch of robots like 4 years ago but this took you on a journey. How can any nation on earth compare to that. From Brunel with the birth of industry, the women vote, equality, to a great Health care program, to such a amazing literature. JK Rowling reading to the world for christ sake also remembered the sacrifice of their military. What other nation would allow Mr Bean to be involved with a world famous orchestra? and who else knew a Brit invented the Internet? then you had a journey in music. Rolling Stones, Beatles, Bowie and modern Stuff Throw in a real life Beattle, The Royal Family and hold it in the Birth place of modern society and one of the greatest cites on earth. Im glad the US is not next.

sums it up perfectly for me. Danny Boyle did amazingly well

Edited by Thedelldays

After sleeping on it, I still don't think much differently I'm afraid. But perhaps I'm the wrong audience for these kinds of grand spectacle. When I went to my one and only Andrew Lloyd Webber production I couldn't wait to hit the exit early, such was the toe-curling awfulness of the show (JCS). Still, he's made a vast fortune with this stuff, so what do I know.

I'm almost speechless - I was quite tearful at times (very unlike me) - especially at the cauldron bit.

I am so, so proud to be British and I thought it was unique and a celebration of our phenomenal contribution to advances in the world.

But oh dear me - Macca. No - it was cringeworthy. And I do think HMaj could have tried to look interested.

When I went to my one and only Andrew Lloyd Webber production I couldn't wait to hit the exit early, such was the toe-curling awfulness of the show (JCS). Still, he's made a vast fortune with this stuff, so what do I know.

Good god it pains me to agree, but I felt the same when I saw my one and only ALW show - Aspects of Love. I've been to the theatre several times and if this had been the first time it would have been the last.