Ian Baldwin RIP

vince

Hopefully the mods will indulge me a little as although this is not Saints related, it is Hampshire football related.

My father, Ian Baldwin, passed away yesterday morning. If you played senior football in Southampton or along the Waterside from the 70's onwards (or against Fawley Falcons from around 79-84 when he ref'd a lot of my youth games as a nipper), you will almost certainly have been refereed by him at some point as he was a class 1 referee in the Hampshire league from the time he moved the family down from Surrey in the late 60's until the turn of the century, when he began assessing referees (he assessed Lee Probert on his rise to the premier league). He gave nearly 45 years to Hampshire football, and adding in his time with Surrey FA, over 50 years in total.

He took me to my first game at the Dell in '79 against Leeds in the League Cup semi final (mainly because one of his school friends was running the line in that game) and I was hooked.

He will be up there now, standing in the middle, telling the captains to have a good game and play fair.

Deepest condolences Vince... I played for Hythe Strikers and Dibden Metros against Fawley Falcons many times when I was younger although that was from about 84 to 88.

I fear we may no longer see people like your Dad contributing to local football given the way some refs are treated these days, but I hope for his sake, there are more coming through who will make such a contribution.

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})