Weird football grounds you've been to... or would like to go to

Crab Lungs

Just reading through this remarkable thread which has kind of inspired me to post this.

Has anyone out there been to a strange football ground, anywhere in the world?

My own strangest football ground experience had to be Luton away 05/06 - entering the ground via a row of terraced houses and upon climbing the antiquated metal stairwell, looking left and right and being able to peak into other peoples back gardens (IIRC). Likewise Bradford was another strange one, as was Southend - though they were more dated as opposed to strange.

The most notable "strange" ground I can recall in popular culture is in Braga, Portugal where it's cut into the hillside. I think The9 has been there, maybe he can confirm. That said, there are plenty more strange stadiums around the world so if you're not busy, take a look at that thread above and see if there are any stadiums there you've been to... and I'd love to hear your experience!

I'm pretty sure we had our own strange stadium not too long ago...;

1623006.jpg

Edited by Crab Lungs

Better off going to Vicenza, they play in red & white stripes & has the added bonus of being a lovely place. Or Hellas Verona/Chievo Verona, again, a stunning city.

Both are on the Milan/Venice express line.

Yeah planning to visit Verona whilst we're there and always fancied seeing them after reading A Season with Verona a few years back.

ihave to agree with the op about luton and southend and add a couple of my own. limerick in 1981 or82 iirc scaffold terraces for the away fans also steaua bucharest ion the edge of concrete slums walk don an alley( knee deeep in mud) up some very dodgy broken and very unstable steps into a dilapidated stadium with platic seats on the terrace, bit like fratton really. im pretty sure my descriptions are correctbut i have to admit afew drinks had been taken before each game

Back in the late 60's early 70's Ristol Rovers old ground Eastville, was a bit of a weird one.

It had a Greyhound or Speedway track around the pitch and a Big series of clocks or something like that Totelisers? hence The Tote End at the top of the stand, but most bizarrely was a Flower Garden behind each goal in the large space between goal and track!! Can't find any decent pics unfortunately.

Add onto this the waft of Gas from Gas Tanks and a bit later a Motorway Flyover which virtually went over the top of the away end, it was quite a strange day out.

The terracing on the south side of the old Valley was awesome. Only a little stand opposite but the massive terracing gave a ground capacity circa 80,000.

Yes it was enormous. I never went to a match there before it was redeveloped, but saw The Who, Lou Reed and others there on a blistering hot day in 1974. There was no escape from the heat on those open terraces. May have some pics somewhere.

charlton-74-crowd-2-chris-k.jpg

That's me behind the floodlights about 2/3rds of the way back.

charlton-stage-3-t4.jpg

'On me 'ead son.

charlton-74-pete-2.jpg

Keef RIP

charlton-74-keef-sings-2.jpg

Edited by RonManager