Games of your life

pap

• 3 months later...

If my wife hadn't bought me a Mega Drive for my 37th birthday the whole world of games would be totally alien to me. I loved the Sonic Games, played them for hours, along with the early FIFA games and PGA Tour and European Tour Golf . Fell out of love with it on purchase of first computer and spent hours playing F1, Warcraft 2 etc. Even with Interweb I have steadfastly refused to play online anything. Too old too slow. Play Pro Cycling Manager 2012 on PC and have a PS3. need to finish Assassins Creed III. BTW rate Uncharted series as my favourite games of all time!

• 2 weeks later...

Oh man, I totally missed this thread. Hope no one minds if I jump in a bit belatedly. It's a shame this part of the forum is a bit neglected.

I am a massive games geek. Always have been, always will be. They have played such a huge part of my life. Being an only child, my Mum & Dad cottoned on pretty early that games were a good way to keep me occupied.

I got bought a Sega Mega Drive for xmas when I was 3 (bloody hell, 20 years of gaming!), I was hooked from then on. Aged 4 I was on a Newsroud special feature about games (the focus being Sega v Nintendo - ha!), playing Sonic. At Uni I was lucky enough to get a tutor who was also a massive gamer, who started a module all about Video Games (in the Politics departemnt!). After this I ended up doing my dissertation (which somehow got published) on Video Games, whilst reviewing Games for the student rag. I now work for a games company.

Obviously, having initially had a Sega, I loved all the Sonic Games. Still do. Some other games I pumped hours of my life into were Echo the Dolphin, Fatal Rewind, early F1 games, early Fifa and Football Management games, Ristar (what a game!) and the ridiculous Kid Chameleon - I actually still enjoy playing this. It was just mental, it made no sense, and I swear it never ended with some levels just getting stupidly hard - and with no save function it was near on impossible to finish. I do sometimes pine for these types of games. I think the lack of technology perhaps helped developers creativity.

Some of these early games were just bonkers, nonsensical, infuriating but wonderfully enjoyable and great fun.

I also got a lot of play time out of a hand-me-down SNES. Obviously, weeks were lost to the Mario games, I still bloody love these. They have done a fantastic job reinventing this series, Mario is now infinitely better than Sonic, which pains me to say. I've also always loved the Zelda games, again still do. Will probably end up purchasing a Wii U simply for the new Zelda.

I later got a step-family, and step-brother my own age. This meant we had a PS1 & N64 in our shared bedroom. Some great games on both. The original GTA & Tomb Raider games, in addition to Goldeneye, Perfect Dark and WWF No Mercy was brilliant.

I also managed to find time to have full blown addictions to the Original Pokemon games for Gameboy, and pretty much every Football Manager since Eric Cantona was still playing.

Kinda skipped over the GameCube/PS2 era - being a teenager I was a bit busy being spotty, chasing girls (failing miserably of course), getting stoned and drinking cider down the park (idiot). I did buy a GameCube, but frankly, it was rubbish. Never really played the thing.

Got back into games in a big way with the latest Generation of consoles. Got a 360 now, and have to say some of the games available on here, the PS3 & the Wii are simply amazing.

I'm aware that I'm gushing a bit now, and probably boring you all a bit so I will try round up. I think Little Big Planet & Batman Arkham Asylum are not only two of the best games of this generation, but possibly ever. I just can't get over how much fun Little Big Planet. It sounds simple, but every single part of the game is designed to be fun, nothing more, nothing less - and it works spectacularly. BAA is just incredible, a fantastic accompaniment to the stunning trilogy of films.

Have to say even more of the social and mobile games about at the minute are fantastic. I love Groove Coaster on my iPad, purely for the visual and audio experience. It's just fantastic fun.

Oh I can't go without a little plug - download Bubble Witch Saga & Candy Crush saga on iOS & Android :) sorry...

Boys. We got us a Sega fan! Burn him!

Just joshing, me old mucker. The jewel game you refer to is Columns. It was alright at the time, but has been postively superceded by the bells and whistles of more modern puzzle games. Your point about social and mobile games is a good 'un. I hope you'll allow me to chuck downloadable games into the hat. I'm always amazed when I see how few of my console owning mates have got download-only titles on their machines. Frankly, some of the best stuff has been download only, and I love how we've essentially got modern versions of our older games.

I really cannot recommend Sonic Racing Transformed highly enough to you, or anyone reading this. It is an excellent racer and a total love letter to Sega. I played the first game and it was alright; competent enough but nothing special. The sequel is special. Planes, boats and karts - your vehicle shifts forms as it goes through certain checkpoints. Most of the stages really change up over the laps too (Mario Kart has been doing this for a while). Cheap, too.

Boys. We got us a Sega fan! Burn him!

Just joshing, me old mucker. The jewel game you refer to is Columns. It was alright at the time, but has been postively superceded by the bells and whistles of more modern puzzle games. Your point about social and mobile games is a good 'un. I hope you'll allow me to chuck downloadable games into the hat. I'm always amazed when I see how few of my console owning mates have got download-only titles on their machines. Frankly, some of the best stuff has been download only, and I love how we've essentially got modern versions of our older games.

I really cannot recommend Sonic Racing Transformed highly enough to you, or anyone reading this. It is an excellent racer and a total love letter to Sega. I played the first game and it was alright; competent enough but nothing special. The sequel is special. Planes, boats and karts - your vehicle shifts forms as it goes through certain checkpoints. Most of the stages really change up over the laps too (Mario Kart has been doing this for a while). Cheap, too.

Haha, it's a nostalgia thing. Sega was my portal into the beautiful and fantastical world of Games. It's clear now, Nintendo were better, and won that war, only later to be superseded. As I hope I managed to convey, I'm just a games fan.

Yes! Columns! That was definitely the one!!

The download only point is a very good one too, couldn't agree with you more. I love some of the fancyfied remodels of old games. I lost a huge amount of time to Limbo, brilliantly hard game. Must have smashed up at least 3 controllers playing that. Bloody thing.

Thanks for the heads up re: Sonic Racing, I'll get it ordered.

There are some really great takes on old style, side-scrolling platformers on mobile at the moment. It's a fun addition that characters run continuously, gives them a really frenetic feel. If you like these I would definitely looking up Totem Run, Monsters Inc. (seriously, plus the graphics are really good too) and Rayman are seriously good fun.

Haha I had this on a three in one game on my Sega, there was some sort of Jewel game and another one which escapes me now. Possibly some sort of racing game?

Was it Road rash? I also had that three in one game and another one that had streets of rage and golden axe on it (as well as revenge of shinobi that was fiendishly difficult). Superb games on one cartridge!

Was it Road rash? I also had that three in one game and another one that had streets of rage and golden axe on it (as well as revenge of shinobi that was fiendishly difficult). Superb games on one cartridge!

I think it may have been a bike game, but possibly not that one. I did have Road Rash though, what a great game that was!

I did also have that other 3-in-1 cartridge, all were great games!

Perfect Dark on the N64 was a real classic, still very occasionally play it round my mates if we get the chance.

Always loved Crash Bandicoot too.

There is a HD remake of the original Perfect Dark on XBOX 360.

• 3 weeks later...

Think the first game I played properly was either Crash Bandicoot or Wipeout on the PS1. I remember watching my Dad play Duke Nukem and Tomb Raider at an early age too.

When I was about 5 or 6 we got a SNES, that changed my life. I spent ages playing Mario Kart, perhaps too long! A few years after that came the N64, which really dragged me into the world of gaming.

There were some absolutely sublime games for the N64, some of the best games of all time imo. Ocarina of Time, Super Mario 64, GoldenEye, Mario Kart 64, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Donkey Kong, Perfect Dark, a few Resident Evil games and the early incumbents of the FIFA series. I still play those games now, i've got an emulator on my laptop.

I've played a few consoles since (Dreamcast, Gamecube, Xbox, PS2, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii) but imo nothing comes close to what the N64 did for gaming, especially in Platform titles.

All of the early LucasArt games were what i spent most of my time in my youth.

Monkey Islands

DOTT

Sam And Max

Indy and the Fate of Atlantis etc

All of them classics

Nowadays i own a playstation 3, but mailny use it for BluRay (and Red Dead Redemption

I use PC for my gameplay, and play as much as possible, but with a 2 year old time is limited!

However, really looking forward to Companyof Heroes 2, lost many an hour to the original!

All of the early LucasArt games were what i spent most of my time in my youth.

Monkey Islands

DOTT

Sam And Max

Indy and the Fate of Atlantis etc

All of them classics

Nowadays i own a playstation 3, but mailny use it for BluRay (and Red Dead Redemption

I use PC for my gameplay, and play as much as possible, but with a 2 year old time is limited!

However, really looking forward to Companyof Heroes 2, lost many an hour to the original!

I've just ordered a new PC myself. My lappy struggles at 1080p. This won't.

PC has been "where it's at" for ages. Spent hours playing FTL this year!

Yo, Papster.

Finally got a new tele, so having an xbox renaissance.

Enjoying Sonic transformed, though it's quite tricky (perhaps deciding to start on A Class wasn't the smartest of moves?)

Are you an xbox man? If so chuck us your Gamertag, got a glut of new games (Sonic Transformed, Halo 4, Far Cry 3, Fifa 13), if you ever fancy a game...

Yo, Papster.

Finally got a new tele, so having an xbox renaissance.

Enjoying Sonic transformed, though it's quite tricky (perhaps deciding to start on A Class wasn't the smartest of moves?)

Are you an xbox man? If so chuck us your Gamertag, got a glut of new games (Sonic Transformed, Halo 4, Far Cry 3, Fifa 13), if you ever fancy a game...

I've only got Transformed on the Wii U at the moment, but will see if I can pick up the 360 version. I did all the B class (medium) stuff first. Complete that, and you should have levelled and unlocked enough characters to take a stab at the harder stuff.

I do have an Xbox live account but don't use it much. Nick is ElevenHitCombo I think. I do have FIFA 13 but I am crap at it.

Yeah I never much used live, but have decided to give it another go.

Apparently that's where it is at?

Any tips on downloads Xbox games? I'm so out of the loop unless its casual/social gaming!

Cheers mate!

There are loads. Most of the earlier stuff is pretty poor by today's standards. Rush jobs to meet launch, etc. Don't get me wrong, I do love me a bit of Time Pilot, but they could have done better with the super-duper modern version.

XBLA is a treasure trove. Most people that I know with Xboxes don't even know it exists. I'm in my late thirties. If you're an older gamer, it's ace. There are a lot of updated versions of latter day classics lurking about on there. There's also a lot of stuff that is entirely original, but basically isn't coming out any other way; would never make a full box release.

In alphabetical order, I'd recommend:-

Battlefield 1943 - three maps. Japs or US. Planes. Tanks. Have at it.

Geometry Wars Retro Evolved2 ( twin stick shooter )

Iron Brigade ( tower defence / mech game )

Mark of the Ninja ( stealth platformer )

Outlander ( another 2D platformer, with a cool colour switching mechanic )

Pacman DX - old school - very addictive

Radiant Silvergun ( one of the best shoot-em-ups ever made, only ever released on Japanese Saturn)

Trials Evolution ( maddening but seriously addictive motorbike game )

Loads more. Sega have got most of their Saturn back catalogue on there.

There are loads. Most of the earlier stuff is pretty poor by today's standards. Rush jobs to meet launch, etc. Don't get me wrong, I do love me a bit of Time Pilot, but they could have done better with the super-duper modern version.

XBLA is a treasure trove. Most people that I know with Xboxes don't even know it exists. I'm in my late thirties. If you're an older gamer, it's ace. There are a lot of updated versions of latter day classics lurking about on there. There's also a lot of stuff that is entirely original, but basically isn't coming out any other way; would never make a full box release.

In alphabetical order, I'd recommend:-

Battlefield 1943 - three maps. Japs or US. Planes. Tanks. Have at it.

Geometry Wars Retro Evolved2 ( twin stick shooter )

Iron Brigade ( tower defence / mech game )

Mark of the Ninja ( stealth platformer )

Outlander ( another 2D platformer, with a cool colour switching mechanic )

Pacman DX - old school - very addictive

Radiant Silvergun ( one of the best shoot-em-ups ever made, only ever released on Japanese Saturn)

Trials Evolution ( maddening but seriously addictive motorbike game )

Loads more. Sega have got most of their Saturn back catalogue on there.

Brilliant, thanks for this mate, much appreciated.

I've had Trials Evo since it came out. Me and a mate were seriously hooked on the first one, this one took it to a whole nother level! Great game.

Haha I had this on a three in one game on my Sega, there was some sort of Jewel game and another one which escapes me now. Possibly some sort of racing game?

Only just seen this thread due to today's bump but I had the exact same cartridge. The other two games were Columns and Super Hang-On, without a shadow of a doubt :)

Always been a fan of flight sims, right from the days of the original Spectrum, right up to the set up I had before we moved house a couple of years ago and the desktop had to go due to room considerations. MS Fs02 with all the sliders maxed, add on scenery and aircraft, usually the PIC767 or Captain Sim 727, generally 'flown' online using the Vatsim network.