Sorry But We Will Get Relegated !

Smalls

We're not going to get relegated. I appreciate that "nil points" is not a great return on the two games we've played, but that hardly signals Premier League oblivion. Everton are currently confounding pundits by not having a totally crap start to the season. Wigan couldn't buy points at the start of last season. In our previous stints in the top tier, we've suffered defeat week after week and still survived.

So here's why I don't think we'll get relegated. First, I think we'll strengthen before the end of the window. The Ramirez deal is edging closer and there are some encouraging reports surrounding other potential targets. NA and NC know we need more in defence. They can't not. If we make it to the end of the window without acquisitions I'll be completely wrong, but hey, neck stuck out.

Next, there's such a thing called form. Teams go on runs, beat teams they shouldn't, while others collapse.

Finally, consider our relegation rivals. QPR are a timebomb - never rated Sparky as a manager; the shopping spree, etc. Cannot believe he keeps getting top flight jobs. People will point to West Ham's "difficult to beatness", but I suspect that is a reputation they will quickly lose under better opposition. Honestly don't think Swansea will struggle, and I rate Hughton - but keeping Norwich up might be difficult this year. We'll also see other relegation candidates emerge during the season ( chickens at Blackburn of last year, etc).

Whatever, it's the start of the season. I may revise my opinion if we hit the deadline with no new players, but I think we'll be alright. We are going to be thoroughly depressed at points, anxious at others and occasionally, bloody elated. Welcome to the big league, boys and girls. (We'll be alright).

Kept the faith :)

Said all season we'll be safe, even when times were hard.

As much as the pampers posse sneer at "the clappers" for being deluded and foolish, they have yet again been proven wrong.

I just cannot believe the almighty Wigan, best team in the league a week or so ago, with all their balls and heart and guts have gone down. Shocking.

We're not going to get relegated. I appreciate that "nil points" is not a great return on the two games we've played, but that hardly signals Premier League oblivion. Everton are currently confounding pundits by not having a totally crap start to the season. Wigan couldn't buy points at the start of last season. In our previous stints in the top tier, we've suffered defeat week after week and still survived.

So here's why I don't think we'll get relegated. First, I think we'll strengthen before the end of the window. The Ramirez deal is edging closer and there are some encouraging reports surrounding other potential targets. NA and NC know we need more in defence. They can't not. If we make it to the end of the window without acquisitions I'll be completely wrong, but hey, neck stuck out.

Next, there's such a thing called form. Teams go on runs, beat teams they shouldn't, while others collapse.

Finally, consider our relegation rivals. QPR are a timebomb - never rated Sparky as a manager; the shopping spree, etc. Cannot believe he keeps getting top flight jobs. People will point to West Ham's "difficult to beatness", but I suspect that is a reputation they will quickly lose under better opposition. Honestly don't think Swansea will struggle, and I rate Hughton - but keeping Norwich up might be difficult this year. We'll also see other relegation candidates emerge during the season ( chickens at Blackburn of last year, etc).

Whatever, it's the start of the season. I may revise my opinion if we hit the deadline with no new players, but I think we'll be alright. We are going to be thoroughly depressed at points, anxious at others and occasionally, bloody elated. Welcome to the big league, boys and girls. (We'll be alright).

my mate pap got it pretty much spot on in august yo! Can't wait for his next season predictions!

I've had £800 on Betfair on us NOT getting relegated. No way will we be relegated, if we're bottom three by Nov Adkins will be up the road IMO and with Adkins or without we'll stay up. I still think once we get going we'll be mid table this year.

Fair play to this fella

my mate pap got it pretty much spot on in august yo! Can't wait for his next season predictions!

Thank you Bear. You'll be pleased to know that as a result of this prediction, I've been upgraded from "knows f**k all about football" to "knows almost f**k all about football". My parents, as ever, are very proud.

• 4 years later...
I have comnsistently said since June that this scenario is very likely part of the managements view on developing a sustainable finanacil model based on the WBA 'yoyo' strategy. I have been mocked, abused and ridiculed by many on this site who are now coming over to my way of thinking but are unlikely to credit me for making an early call.

Yep, credit where credit's due.... ;)

Yes, but I saw the trend years before anyone else!

No. You ****ed up and were totally wrong so you decided to commit to it, boring us to death with Hoddle, yo-yo strategy and 17th for 6+ years in the hope that one day you might be right.

No. You ****ed up and were totally wrong so you decided to commit to it, boring us to death with Hoddle, yo-yo strategy and 17th for 6+ years in the hope that one day you might be right.

Rumbled...have to think of a new one for next season. Clearly the 17th assertion will hopefully be concluded on Sunday.