Why did we buy Rodriguez?

Cheese on Toast

Am I the only one who can't understand why we bought Rodriguez? When Nige bought him, he obviously knew he'd be playing the 433 formation, but it's a waste to play Rodriguez on the wing and obviously Rickie will start as Centre Forward and as we saw against city, he starts Guly in CF, so what part does Rodriguez have to play?

I think it was more a case of we had no one else to start on the left with Lallana in midfield.

Sorry I'm going to bite!

He was brought to To the club to give Lambert some competition for the role of centre forward or second striker, to give us some strength in depth in that position and eventually succeed Lambert

Do you not remember the cries of despair if Lambert missed a game as we has no fallback option on the bench!

I think it was more a case of we had no one else to start on the left with Lallana in midfield.

Sorry I'm going to bite!

He was brought to To the club to give Lambert some competition for the role of centre forward or second striker, to give us some strength in depth in that position and eventually succeed Lambert

Do you not remember the cries of despair if Lambert missed a game as we has no fallback option on the bench!

bc498acc-7a21-4b9d-9f1b-1061ab4925d3.jpg

Am I the only one who can't understand why we bought Rodriguez? When Nige bought him, he obviously knew he'd be playing the 433 formation,

but it's a waste to play Rodriguez on the wing and obviously Rickie will start as Centre Forward and as we saw against city, he starts Guly in CF, so what part does Rodriguez have to play?

I don't think it's obvious at all. NA has said we have a number of alternative formations now, and yes... Jay Rod looks a bit out of place sometimes, but he's a professional footballer for **** sake.

He's paid enough surely he can learn to adapt !

Whilst I don't expect RL to go to Villa (with this latest rumour ) but sooner or later ...and he's not really (what I would call )..a CF ?...and if he doesn't carry on with his goal scoring. feats.. .they'll be other candidates (like Jay Rod..just itching to get the spot.

As for Guly...I'm a Guly fan and rate him a bit more than some of this site, BUT after his recent drinking spree... I don't expect him to be playing anywhere in the near future,

especially as JP has found a bit of form. It seems clear than the club will fine him for his law-breaking .and he's likely to get a club suspension for a couple of weeks ...

Now with Lee back in the reckoning..and Mayuka on the books.....I think everyone must learn to tow the line and play where they're told.

Edited by david in sweden

Because we are building for the future!!

Lambert will not be around forever.and we need a squad to survive in the prem not just a team

This. Lambert could get injured tomorrow and be out all season, you need depth.

We all said last year we had no Lambert replacement, we do now.

NA playing him wide whilst we had no other options, we will by Friday 11pm.

Rodriguez is an exceptionally talented young forward. Unfortunately his start for us has been hindered with the position he plays in, which isn't his fault - I long for the day he's played as a striker.

He's terrific technically, has a nice turn of pace and his movement in the box is terrific when you watch him. He's a very clever player who has all the attributes to be a class English centre forward, I've liked the look of him since he made his debut for Burnley, he's got a real feeling of class about him.

I'm still absolutely adamant he will become an England international sooner rather than later. Top prospect. That's why we bought him.

I'm still absolutely adamant he will become an England international sooner rather than later. Top prospect. That's why we bought him.

Not if we keep playing him out of position he wont.

I feel sorry for him, he is a centre forward, this is his first taste of premiership football and the poor sod is being asked to play out wide on the left. Madness IMHO.

Not if we keep playing him out of position he wont.

I feel sorry for him, he is a centre forward, this is his first taste of premiership football and the poor sod is being asked to play out wide on the left. Madness IMHO.

To stick up for our management a bit, he did play on the flanks for Burnley during his rise there and he was quite effective, but I'm of the opinion that his position without question is CF. He can do a job on the flanks in the Championship, but he's well out of it in the PL. Let's stick up front and let his touch and movement do all the talking.

To sell rickie this window would be madness, he's been our top scorer for since he joined and outscored both of our english signings last season (both of whom are untested in the prem). For all we know this new fella might take time to find his feet and Rickie has already shown he can score in this league.

I'd expect it to be far more likely that he'll be given till christmas, that way he has time to prove himself in the prem so his cost rises and see if he fits in the team, i'm sure Nigel wouldn't take the risk to start without him in the squad now.

It smacks of paper talk, or maybe Rickie's agent trying to show that if he's not a first choice he'll be happy to move, whatever it is i'd be very surprised if it happened.

To stick up for our management a bit, he did play on the flanks for Burnley during his rise there and he was quite effective, but I'm of the opinion that his position without question is CF. He can do a job on the flanks in the Championship, but he's well out of it in the PL. Let's stick up front and let his touch and movement do all the talking.

Yeah thats exactly my point. He is being asked to play in his least favoured position but also being asked to make the step up from the standard he is used to.

Given NA's usual intelligence when it comes to players this one leaves me totally confused. Its almost like he is playing to justify the money spent on him but is not doing himself or the manager justice. When he could have played at centre forward in Rickie's absence at City we went with Guly for whatever reason.

FFS he isn't always going to play there for us!

Didnt say he was did I ? I'm saying at the start of his career with us and in the prem its a bit unfair on him. Unless you know him personally you cant say that this might knock his confidence can you ?

Yeah thats exactly my point. He is being asked to play in his least favoured position but also being asked to make the step up from the standard he is used to.

Given NA's usual intelligence when it comes to players this one leaves me totally confused. Its almost like he is playing to justify the money spent on him but is not doing himself or the manager justice. When he could have played at centre forward in Rickie's absence at City we went with Guly for whatever reason.

The problem is we don't have any alternatives to play there. NA has been asked to develop this formation over the summer, which is why it's migrating through the club at all levels.

Looks to be why there is some significant urgency to get proper players for the positions we need to fill. No square pegs etc!

Am I the only one who can't understand why we bought Rodriguez? When Nige bought him, he obviously knew he'd be playing the 433 formation, but it's a waste to play Rodriguez on the wing and obviously Rickie will start as Centre Forward and as we saw against city, he starts Guly in CF, so what part does Rodriguez have to play?
Because he's a very decent player. Might take time but I think he will get to be a top premiership striker.

To eventually replace Lambert, presumably.

Is it accepted that this 4-3-3 is NOT Nigel's idea then ?

Not entirely, it's all this ''Southampton way'' thing. They want to develop a formation that goes down through all levels, but it's not just his decision - it's a club decision at all levels apparently.

Obviously he should play only on the extreme right wing, and never ever in Europe. Ok Dune?

Is that obvious? I'm convinced that he'll be used more sparingly this season as the 433 isn't designed to revolve around him. Our wingers aren't up to much and Rodriguez has been the best option in a not particuarly illustrious group. I doubt it's a permanent thing, hence why we've brought in Mayuka and Ramirez. Would we really have been much better with Puncheon or De Ridder wide against Wigan? I'm not convinced.

This. Lambert could get injured tomorrow and be out all season, you need depth.

We all said last year we had no Lambert replacement, we do now.

NA playing him wide whilst we had no other options, we will by Friday 11pm.

Sorry that doesn't make sense......why then did our normally wide player Guly start at CF when we had ROdrigues available....???? Is someone now going to say ahhhhh yes but Guly plays on the right ??? FFs play him on the left or is that his standing foot!!!!!

It is all part of a our long term strategy to replicate the team names with the 76 Cup winning side.

We are presently scouting furiously for a young McCalliog, a Blythe, and a Turner as goalie, hoping to complete some deals before the window shuts.

But in that case we should be looking for a Turnip and some Steel.

Sorry that doesn't make sense......why then did our normally wide player Guly start at CF when we had ROdrigues available....???? Is someone now going to say ahhhhh yes but Guly plays on the right ??? FFs play him on the left or is that his standing foot!!!!!

Horses for courses. Whatever anyone says about Guly, he has very good stamina and his job first half against city was to run the centre backs. Rodriguez was mainly used out wide to link play back to Lallana to get him on the ball as often as possible.

Charlie is correct, if we didn't have Rodriguez, people would be screaming out for back up for Rickie. Now we have Rodriguez who can play the same role as Lambert, people are questioning why we bought him. People need to stop being fixated on where Rodriguez has played the last two games. We're clearly just filling some gaps until we have better options out wide. Rodriguez is a centre forward and will play centre forward this season when Rickie can't/doesn't play.

Because we are building a team for the Championship. Nige knows he's not good enough for the Premiership but figured that he'd get him early so that he's familiar with his team mates who are also only fit for life in the Championship. :rolleyes:

Silly me, yeah that's it.

Didnt say he was did I ? I'm saying at the start of his career with us and in the prem its a bit unfair on him. Unless you know him personally you cant say that this might knock his confidence can you ?

As I recall...some people said similar things about James Beattie after we signed him....He wasn't first choice from Day One and managed only 5 goals in his first season. and none from his 8 starts (year 2).. but by the time he got some form, he scored 11, then 12... but a whopping 23 goals.in 2002/3...when he had better support from Ormerod, Marsden and Anders S.. around him.

Like the legendary Ron Davies getting his fantastic wing service in the 1960's.. Lambert did well for 3 seasons - because we learned how to serve him...

Now..with new players coming in, we need to find the best possible Plan B. It will undoubtedly take a few games..perhaps longer, but hopefully NA will work it out.

• 4 months later...

I wasn't on the forum pre-match last night, so apologies if this has been discussed.

Solent did a nice interview with Eddie Howe re: Jay Rodriguez, who he managed at Burnley.

Was interesting hearing his views. Says J-Rod is pretty much the total package, and has a superb work ethic as well.

Thought he'll be good investment for us.

I wasn't on the forum pre-match last night, so apologies if this has been discussed.

Solent did a nice interview with Eddie Howe re: Jay Rodriguez, who he managed at Burnley.

Was interesting hearing his views. Says J-Rod is pretty much the total package, and has a superb work ethic as well.

Thought he'll be good investment for us.

His touch is sublime, the way he brought down that long ball from Yoshida and laid it off for Davis last night was amazing.