Hillsborough

Thedelldays

Hopefully the copper who lied spends some time behind bars for what he did, I have some sympathy for the police making the mistakes on the day but covering it up and lying afterwards is inexcusable.

Fair play to the Liverpool fans for pursuing this but it doesn't change the fact that the fans of the day must share some of the blame. In my opinion.

The fences were there because of the behaviour of football fans.

The polices' attitude was influenced by liverpool's reputation.

If the fans outside had been queuing in an orderly fashion the gates would have remained shut.

Hopefully the copper who lied spends some time behind bars for what he did, I have some sympathy for the police making the mistakes on the day but covering it up and lying afterwards is inexcusable.

Fair play to the Liverpool fans for pursuing this but it doesn't change the fact that the fans of the day must share some of the blame. In my opinion.

If the fans outside had been queuing in an orderly fashion the gates would have remained shut.

So the OB and all the authorities say that the fans were without blame but you reckon they still might be?

As I said, this thread has truly revealed the cu nts.

So the OB and all the authorities say that the fans were without blame but you reckon they still might be?

As I said, this thread has truly revealed the cu nts.

You are the only c*nt on here mate. In the eyes of the law of course the police are to blame, I am of the opinion that their behaviour played a part though.

• 1 year later...

Hillsborough inquests: Fans unlawfully killed, jury concludes

The jury found match commander Ch Supt David Duckenfield was "responsible for manslaughter by gross negligence" due to a breach of his duty of care.

The jury also concluded;

Police errors caused a dangerous situation at the turnstiles

Failures by commanding officers caused a crush on the terraces

There were mistakes in the police control box over the order to open the Leppings Lane end exit gates

Defects at the stadium contributed to the disaster

There was an error in the safety certification of the Hillsborough stadium

South Yorkshire Police (SYP) and South Yorkshire Ambulance Service delayed declaring a major incident

The emergency response was therefore delayed

Sheffield Wednesday failed to approve the plans for dedicated turnstiles for each pen

There was inadequate signage at the club and misleading information on match tickets

Club officials should have requested a delay in kick off as they were aware of a huge number of fans outside shortly before the game was due to start

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-36138337

Edited by badgerx16

Liverpool fans did behave badly that day... but in those days it happened all the time and at many grounds every weekend. The police should not have been surprised by the behaviour of the fans and so the Jury did reach the correct decision in stating that the behaviour of the fans did not contribute to the verdict of unlawful killing.... but of course their behaviour contributed to the actual deaths , thats obvious from the CCTV evidence , but these are two entirely different matters.

David Conn has produced this clip which explains the whole thing, showing the layout of the end .

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/video/2016/apr/26/hillsborough-inquiry-anatomy-of-a-disaster-video

In 84 I followed the obvious path into the centre tunnel and spent the whole match being crushed and lifted of the ground, unable to move away. Friends of mine went in the side pen and had plenty of room. The Leppings Lane end was always an accident waiting to happen. Saints fans were lucky, the Liverpool fans not so.

How so? I stand by what I wrote. The basic fact is that those poor fans who were crushed were crushed by other fans behind them. Always find somebody else to blame.

Please, for the love of god, take the trouble read the jury's findings and stop repeating this garbage. You'll feel ashamed.

Legally that was the only conclusion they could reach but I still think the behaviour of football supporters at the time in general played a part.

Fact is, if so many fans in the 80s were not ****s (Liverpool had more than most) then the fences would not have been there and the police would have been more concerned with safety rather than keeping two lots of idiots apart.

The c**ts on this thread are now really shown up as gullible, thick c**ts who swallowed the bullsh*t peddled by the establishment, via The Sun, to protect themselves.

Utter, utter c**ts.

Spot on .

It could have happened to any supporters of about 30 clubs that day . All this ****ing pony about always being victims , they were ****ing victims and the establishment covered it up . A shameful episode in this countries history. People should have some respect , the people of Liverpool never gave up and maybe now they have justice they can have a degree of closure

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

The only way you would get a crowd that size queuing in an orderly fashion in what was effectively a narrowing funnel is through police cordoning and better organisation. Nothing to do with them being football fans, its basic crowd dynamics. Would happen the same way with a crowd of grannies going to a Barry Manilow concert. If you stand 10,000 people absolutely still and then ask them all to take a step forward a crush will develop at the front if there is no way for pressure to be relieved sideways. Its why modern stadiums have so much space around them.

Those fans were like fish in a net, carried along by the people behind them. Once you're in a crowd that big there's bugger all you can do, its like swimming against the tide. No "please take a step back sir" will ever work, the crowd has a life of its own.

Liverpool fans did behave badly that day... but in those days it happened all the time and at many grounds every weekend. The police should not have been surprised by the behaviour of the fans and so the Jury did reach the correct decision in stating that the behaviour of the fans did not contribute to the verdict of unlawful killing.... but of course their behaviour contributed to the actual deaths , thats obvious from the CCTV evidence , but these are two entirely different matters.

They did? We are to assume you were there then?

Many people believe what they want to believe despite the evidence - no matter what. The whole point of the last 27 years and the last two very painful years in particular whence after a 25-year battle all the evidence was duly weighed, was to ascertain precisely what happened away from the sort of bile you vent, something the authorities DID NOT WISH TO DO AT ALL, attempting to cover the whole sorry matter up in order to protect their own.

Hence of course the 25-year long bitter battle to get matters into an appropriate court. IF, you still want to stick to your bias despite the evidence, I doubt for example you ever attended the court over the last two years, concomitant to not having read a single page of trial transcripts at all - anyway should you still wish to pontificate and postulate from your comfy armchair as you have, then do please continue on and thereby prove why certain mindsets similar to the one you exhibit here, initiated a very painful 27-year long struggle for so many people, whilst also, dint of some aspects of the media painted Liverpool and its inhabitants in very poor light indeed.

Legally that was the only conclusion they could reach but I still think the behaviour of football supporters at the time in general played a part.

Fact is, if so many fans in the 80s were not ****s (Liverpool had more than most) then the fences would not have been there and the police would have been more concerned with safety rather than keeping two lots of idiots apart.

Edit - mis read initially.

Spot on .

It could have happened to any supporters of about 30 clubs that day . All this ****ing pony about always being victims , they were ****ing victims and the establishment covered it up . A shameful episode in this countries history. People should have some respect , the people of Liverpool never gave up and maybe now they have justice they can have a degree of closure

Okay, so they've now got "justice"and they can have "closure" if they want it, but I suspect they don't want that and we'll never hear the end of it.

The only way you would get a crowd that size queuing in an orderly fashion in what was effectively a narrowing funnel is through police cordoning and better organisation. Nothing to do with them being football fans, its basic crowd dynamics. Would happen the same way with a crowd of grannies going to a Barry Manilow concert. If you stand 10,000 people absolutely still and then ask them all to take a step forward a crush will develop at the front if there is no way for pressure to be relieved sideways. Its why modern stadiums have so much space around them.

Those fans were like fish in a net, carried along by the people behind them. Once you're in a crowd that big there's bugger all you can do, its like swimming against the tide. No "please take a step back sir" will ever work, the crowd has a life of its own.

A year earlier, Liverpool played Notts Forest at Hillsborough in a semi-final. There was an attendance of 51000 and the police set up filter lanes well before each turnstile so that queues were orderly and those without tickets were turned away. Even then there were complaints of crushing in some of the pens.

Why this wasn't done in 1989 is a question for the club and the police.

Okay, so they've now got "justice"and they can have "closure" if they want it, but I suspect they don't want that and we'll never hear the end of it.

Quite rightly, in fairness.

The whole episode from start to finish has been a disgrace.

Hey your a little winner aintcha. So you suspect "they" don't want "justice" and "closure", so by implication of what you write the families of the much maligned bereaved, as indeed you are maligning them even now put their respective lives on hold for 27 years and fought tooth and nail for what, mere fun, the sheer hell of it? The medication which you obviously must take Badger, is definitely warranted.

There was a heartbreaking interview on Radio 4 with a bloke who'd taken his 2 young daughters. He had tickets for the stand but got separated from them in the crush.

He eventually found them laid on the pitch and, with help from another fan started giving them CPR. An ambulance arrived but could only take one of them so he had to decide whether to go with the ambulance or stay with his other daughter. He went with the ambulance but, in the end, lost both of them.

You are the only c*nt on here mate. In the eyes of the law of course the police are to blame, I am of the opinion that their behaviour played a part though.

Do forgive me this personal observation but in your apparent intransigence you're seemingly not getting this at all, - this is not about Opinions any more, we've had 27 years of opinions, lies, corruption and deceit, added to people who know little to nothing about the disaster pontificating and pointing accusatory fingers at Liverpool supporters; heartily driven by the media in some instances. Such opining has now been transcended - thank God. This is now about HARD evidence such as the following [there is much more of course],

The Chief Constable of South Yorkshire Police, David Crompton, having unreservedly apologised to victims’ families . . . . . . . "On 15 April 1989, South Yorkshire police got the policing of the FA Cup semi-final at Hillsborough catastrophically wrong. It was and still is the biggest disaster in British sporting history. That day 96 people died and the lives of many others were changed forever. The force failed the victims and failed their families. Today, as I have said before, I want to apologise unreservedly to the families and all those affected."

Note they, the Police, got it "catastrophically wrong" with NO blame being apportioned by him or anyone else now to the supporters, if he could have continued to blame the supporters you can bet your sweet life he sure woulda done - but now the truth is out.

You can, in the meantime as indeed you are, having not attended the court or read the court transcripts still stick to your opinion, but opinions become worthless in the face of overwhelming evidence except to those who still blindly and stupidly want to hold on to them of course.

Do forgive me this personal observation but in your apparent intransigence you're seemingly not getting this at all, - this is not about Opinions any more, we've had 27 years of opinions, lies, corruption and deceit, added to people who know little to nothing about the disaster pontificating and pointing accusatory fingers at Liverpool supporters; heartily driven by the media in some instances. Such opining has now been transcended - thank God. This is now about HARD evidence such as the following [there is much more of course],

The Chief Constable of South Yorkshire Police, David Crompton, having unreservedly apologised to victims’ families . . . . . . . "On 15 April 1989, South Yorkshire police got the policing of the FA Cup semi-final at Hillsborough catastrophically wrong. It was and still is the biggest disaster in British sporting history. That day 96 people died and the lives of many others were changed forever. The force failed the victims and failed their families. Today, as I have said before, I want to apologise unreservedly to the families and all those affected."

Note they, the Police, got it "catastrophically wrong" with NO blame being apportioned by him or anyone else now to the supporters, if he could have continued to blame the supporters you can bet your sweet life he sure woulda done - but now the truth is out.

You can, in the meantime as indeed you are, having not attended the court or read the court transcripts still stick to your opinion, but opinions become worthless in the face of overwhelming evidence except to those who still blindly and stupidly want to hold on to them of course.

You're clearly some sort of Liverpool fan. I get you're passionate about this issue but you really need to calm down just because someone has the view that fans had a portion of the blame too. It's a tragedy whoever is to blame but I can't be the only one bored by the interminable coverage of it all.

You're clearly some sort of Liverpool fan. I get you're passionate about this issue but you really need to calm down just because someone has the view that fans had a portion of the blame too. It's a tragedy whoever is to blame but I can't be the only one bored by the interminable coverage of it all.

If you went off to a football match and came back dead dont you think your family would be really upset if they were told a pack of lies by the authorities I certainly would.

I found the accounts of the families quite emotional some would have had their lives ruined by the incorrect actions of the police and others

I except the findings of the inquest and that the Police are to blame but I think you have to put the whole thing in the context of the day.

The fences were there because of the awful behaviour of some football fans during the 80s, the police's main concern at the time was probably to stop ****ed up idiots fighting each other. The police's attitude was shaped by the fact that they spend most of their time fighting with and clearing up the mess left by football hooligans. These are all factors which contributed to the awful tragedy IMO.

The c**ts on this thread are now really shown up as gullible, thick c**ts who swallowed the bullsh*t peddled by the establishment, via The Sun, to protect themselves.

Utter, utter c**ts.

You should go and see the absolute dinlos on the Ugly Inside. I'm torn between feel sad and bewildered!

If you only read one piece read this. Men saw their children die due to the police and then the police lied, lied again and carried on lying. http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/apr/26/hillsborough-disaster-deadly-mistakes-and-lies-that-lasted-decades?CMP=share_btn_tw

A horrific read, but Conn has been on the money throughout this sorry tale. Remember speaking to him up at Crewe about 10 years ago and he was adamant the truth would eventually come out.

Having stood in the corner section of the Leppings Lane end in a quarter final in 84 makes it so poignant.

Dunes gone, and Alpine isn't poison this today but like VFTT says this thread is really showing up the cents and bigots. (Coincidentally the seem to mainly be the Tories and kippers posters)

You classless ****, I'm sorry you're bored of hearing about 96 families fighting for the truth of their loved ones deaths.

You classless ****, I'm sorry you're bored of hearing about 96 families fighting for the truth of their loved ones deaths.

Very much so when I'm trying to listen to something interesting on the radio and they keep cutting away every five minutes to report on it again. It's a tragic occurence but the court case isn't going to bring them back and going over and over the same things including asking passers by on the street achieves nothing. I don't blame the victims but I do blame the media. All it does is have the opposite effect of what is intended- to lessen the impact of these sort of things and report upon it with such frequency that many people stop caring. *stands back and waits for the next poster to run in screaming abuse.

Edited by hypochondriac

It seems a lot of mistakes where made that day but was today's decision made against today's standards or those of the times. The point I make is there was relentless trouble at football matches at the time and I'm sure it clouded the decision making of those in control. Think back to the Heysel disaster, which only took place 4 years earlier, rampaging Liverpool fans ending in 39 deaths and 600 injured. Did this and week after week of trouble at football all contribute to the wrong decision being made.

Faced with massing crowds at Hillsborough did the police/authorities panic to get the fans off the streets to try and prevent possible trouble that was rife at the time in English football and resulted in wrong decisions being made?!?

The crime that needs prosecution: is the lies and criminal actions of the police and other of authorities that lied and tried to cover up the mistakes by blaming solely the fans.

Unfortunately, the pessimist in thinks that all that will happen next is financial claims for compensation being made against the police.

The greatest sympathy to the families...but time to let those that died RIP

Very much so when I'm trying to listen to something interesting on the radio and they keep cutting away every five minutes to report on it again. It's a tragic occurence but the court case isn't going to bring them back and going over and over the same things including asking passers by on the street achieves nothing. I don't blame the victims but I do blame the media. All it does is have the opposite effect of what is intended- to lessen the impact of these sort of things and report upon it with such frequency that many people stop caring. *stands back and waits for the next poster to run in screaming abuse.

Murdoch's papers may be for you then. Disgraceful ignoring on front pages of Sun and The Times. Only papers that have.

'the court case isn't going to bring them back' is a truly pathetic line. Do you not understand what this is about? Should they ave taken that approach at the start?

And could have left it at The Sun's 'The Truth' front page poison and all moved on. Won't bring them back eh.

You say you have fatigue of the story but appear to not have any understanding of what sort of cover up and smears have continued. It is huge news unless you are more interested in Cameron's WhatsApp story.

It doesn't lessen the impact by mass coverage - ever thought you may be in a minority?

It seems a lot of mistakes where made that day but was today's decision made against today's standards or those of the times. The point I make is there was relentless trouble at football matches at the time and I'm sure it clouded the decision making of those in control. Think back to the Heysel disaster, which only took place 4 years earlier, rampaging Liverpool fans ending in 39 deaths and 600 injured. Did this and week after week of trouble at football all contribute to the wrong decision being made.

Faced with massing crowds at Hillsborough did the police/authorities panic to get the fans off the streets to try and prevent possible trouble that was rife at the time in English football and resulted in wrong decisions being made?!?

The crime that needs prosecution: is the lies and criminal actions of the police and other of authorities that lied and tried to cover up the mistakes by blaming solely the fans.

Unfortunately, the pessimist in thinks that all that will happen next is financial claims for compensation being made against the police.

Couldn't agree more

Jesus, words fail me.

wow being hard on the internet, I hope it makes you feel big.

You seem to be a particularly nasty man there was a terrible tragedy in Sheffield in 1989 when 96 football fans like you and me were killed due to the failings of the Police and Ambulance Service who should have been there to look after them.

The families of the deceased were then subject to total a torrent of lies from the Establishment to cover up their numerous errors and the fans were pilloried in the Press.

As View From The Top has said

read http://www.theguardian.com/football/...P=share_btn_tw and the comments below Men saw their children die due to the police and then the police lied, lied again and carried on lying.

You have to be an utter tossa if you think after 27 years the people of Liverpool should not 'celebrate' that the true facts have now come out and the people who lied may now be taken to task.

Yesterday was a fantastic day for the way a group of ordinary people overcame the wrath of a corrupt establishment to get justice for therie loved ones I salute them

Nothing wrong with them going over it and celebrating it again and I never said they couldn't, I just don't want it cutting away from the radio programme I'm listening to literally ever ten minutes to go and interview passers by on the street about it or random celebrities. I've expressed this sentiment before but it's like when a celebrity dies and you can't escape it. It's been on every online news outlet multiple times with analysis from every angle and poring over it in minute detail and the only thing it accomplishes is that it lessens the impact of it and get people annoyed to the point that they become particularly nasty men as you put it.

wow being hard on the internet, I hope it makes you feel big.

I'm not being "hard", I'm expressing an opinion that you don't like. By all means the families and the city of Liverpool are allowed to celebrate this and mourn the dead again but excuse me if I find the constant coverage tiresome. It's a tragedy just like many other tragic events that happened when I wasn't really old enough to appreciate it. I hope those directly affected have a degree of closure and I agree with whelk that it should absolutely not be ignored completely in the murdoch press but neither should it be analysed from every conceivable angle such as asking passers by on the street for their opinion. I'm fully prepared for the abuse or the incredulous posts because that's the easy response rather than engaging your brain and thinking about it. Thanks to those who can discuss it sensibly.

Nothing wrong with them going over it and celebrating it again and I never said they couldn't, I just don't want it cutting away from the radio programme I'm listening to literally ever ten minutes to go and interview passers by on the street about it or random celebrities. I've expressed this sentiment before but it's like when a celebrity dies and you can't escape it. It's been on every online news outlet multiple times with analysis from every angle and poring over it in minute detail and the only thing it accomplishes is that it lessens the impact of it and get people annoyed to the point that they become particularly nasty men as you put it.

Yeah, how dare they ruin your enjoyment of Heart FM.

I'm not being "hard", I'm expressing an opinion that you don't like. By all means the families and the city of Liverpool are allowed to celebrate this and mourn the dead again but excuse me if I find the constant coverage tiresome. It's a tragedy just like many other tragic events that happened when I wasn't really old enough to appreciate it. I hope those directly affected have a degree of closure and I agree with whelk that it should absolutely not be ignored completely in the murdoch press but neither should it be analysed from every conceivable angle such as asking passers by on the street for their opinion. I'm fully prepared for the abuse or the incredulous posts because that's the easy response rather than engaging your brain and thinking about it. Thanks to those who can discuss it sensibly.

You do not seem to be a very compassionate or rounded person but one who think they are pretty clever but to many on here you are just a Tossa.

For 27 years the Hillsborough disaster was framed as a story of overwhelming loss. But it was also a marathon of injustice: a point poorly understood by people like you who wondered why the mourning never ceased.

To lose a loved one in an accident is terrible enough. To lose a son, daughter, brother or sister and then see criminal negligence denied and covered up by a hostile system is a whole other level of anguish. It was this institutionalised callousness that prevented the relatives of the 96 victims from laying the dead to rest and moving on with their own lives.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/04/26/paul-hayward-hillsborough-injustice-prevented-families-moving-on/

Exactly.

"Trying to listen to something interesting on the radio" - and this case isn't interesting? Jeez :mcinnes:

You seem to be a particularly nasty man there was a terrible tragedy in Sheffield in 1989 when 96 football fans like you and me were killed due to the failings of the Police and Ambulance Service who should have been there to look after them.

The families of the deceased were then subject to total a torrent of lies from the Establishment to cover up their numerous errors and the fans were pilloried in the Press.

As View From The Top has said

read http://www.theguardian.com/football/...P=share_btn_tw and the comments below Men saw their children die due to the police and then the police lied, lied again and carried on lying.

You have to be an utter tossa if you think after 27 years the people of Liverpool should not 'celebrate' that the true facts have now come out and the people who lied may now be taken to task.

Yesterday was a fantastic day for the way a group of ordinary people overcame the wrath of a corrupt establishment to get justice for therie loved ones I salute them

The forum needs a Like button.

Well said sir.