Chris Baird

baxter

Nice interview, he'll get a clap from me. Always tried hard and never let us down. Scored a few goals as well.

...not to put a sour note on a nice article about a good bloke, but his record of " own-goals " is quite impressive too.

I know he does score a few for his own side, but I can recall several time (sadly) seeing his name .....on the opponents stats.

Guess he's too often the right fella ....in the wrong place..... at the wrong time .

'

...not to put a sour note on a nice article about a good bloke, but his record of " own-goals " is quite impressive too.

I know he does score a few for his own side, but I can recall several time (sadly) seeing his name .....on the opponents stats.

Guess he's too often the right fella ....in the wrong place..... at the wrong time .

'

I don't remember any, except perhaps the 4-3 win over Birmingham where it was on target anyway and him and Davis has a huge bust up over it.

Nothing but respect for him. He did well for us, always seemed an honest player and bloke and left the correct way, at a time when keeping players like him just wasn't an option.

I understand he plays a more defensive-midfielder role these days, perhaps we could tempt him back...

Great player for us, although the way he left was a little sour (Although i guess he saw what was coming quicker than we did...!). I did enjoy that season with him and Claus at the back, and will never forget that stunning goal at home to Cardiff.

Still remember his performance at Cardiff. Thought he was great but reckon we needed Fernandes earlier in that game. Good to see him do well, shows our academy can supply any type of PL standard player rather than just the odd star every 3-4 years.

And again, insists how the departure of WGS and posterior conversion of Paul Sturrock in a scapegoat imploded the club. Hate you Rupert.

I can remember a game vs QPR where Jermaine Wright was playing Right Back and was having a mere of a game. Chris Baird started the game at Centre Back and ended up playing CB and RB , with Mr Wright getting in Chris's way most of the time

I can remember a game vs QPR where Jermaine Wright was playing Right Back and was having a mere of a game. Chris Baird started the game at Centre Back and ended up playing CB and RB , with Mr Wright getting in Chris's way most of the time
What is a mere?

• 6 years later...
Full debut in the 2003 Cup Final as I remember.

I remember that being so odd at the time. Strachan never gave him a look in the league but played him in the cup final.

I also remember (was it Burley?) playing him at centre-back in the championship and being unusually good in the air for somebody standing 5'9".

I remember that being so odd at the time. Strachan never gave him a look in the league but played him in the cup final.

I also remember (was it Burley?) playing him at centre-back in the championship and being unusually good in the air for somebody standing 5'9".

I recall him looking at his runners-up medal with a "WTF is this?" expression on his face.

I’d love to see that goal v Cardiff from 2007 again, cannot find it online.

It's definitely out there somewhere.

I suspect you'll be disappointed though, time has been kind to peoples memories - it was from way out, but it was right in the middle of the goal. Keeper howler.

I’d love to see that goal v Cardiff from 2007 again, cannot find it online.

I use to sit with the Landlord of the Junction Pub, we along with just about everyone in the ground groaned as we seemed to make a total right pigs ear of a free kick until Baird ran onto it and unleashed an absolutely unstoppable missile.

The other memory of Chris Baird was v Portsmouth in the latter stages of the game, post match WGS said that he had instructed Chris to keep it sensible and tight at the back to see the game out, next thing he knows Chris Baird is sprinting past me with the ball then cross it for the goal to see the game out.