Who is your second team?

Saint Charlie

The Fizzers! Sandhurst Town FC. Brilliant small, town club, great atmosphere and I have the honor of having played for one of their reserve teams in the past. One of the beat nicknames in footy too IMHO.

Used to watch Wokingham Town FC regularly as a kid, again, great local support (I was there when the Burger Crew [they stood behind the goal by the tea/burger bar] famously ran onto the pitch en masse and 'stole' an opposition goalie. Hilarious at the time, but I guess it would be frowned upon now.) At the time there was only two or three leagues (and just five miles) between them and Reading. So I learnt to loath Reading FC. A hatred I carry to this day, hurrah.

Alas I cannot support Wokingham FC now as they were disbanded and merged with amateur league Embrook. I have had the distinct displeasure of having to play against the new W&E FC over the last few years. Boo.

I have a soft spot for Brentford too as my old man supports them, but they are not a second team, and I love it when we beat them (although regularly attended Bees away games at Elmpark many moons ago [see above hatred of Reading])

nothing says i know f*ck all about football than someone who says "and my second team is ............"

I disagree, there are plenty of reasons people might be interested in the results of more than one club.

Newport County used to be my "first" club, then they went bankrupt and I became a student in Southampton and started following Saints whilst keeping an eye on the non-League phoenix club. I've now been watching Saints for 21 years, and I was only a Newport County fan originally for 16 - but I had a Newport Season Ticket in 1995/6 and I've had Saints ones since 2001, but I'm in my home town for Christmas and I'll be watching them tomorrow instead of Saints.

Pick the "first" and "second" clubs out of that. My dad also took me to Anfield and Wembley a load of times in the 80s to watch Liverpool, but it was after taking my dad to a Saints v Liverpool league match in 1992 that I knew there was no plastic affection lingering there.

The other scenario of course is that people in the game regularly follow the fortunes of their previous clubs more closely than other clubs, and it's a bit of a push to say they "know f*ck all about football". I still have a soft spot for... never mind. :)

No second team, just anyone playing against the skates. I do enjoy the local plastics getting upset as well though; United, Spurs and Liverpool fans particularly make me cringe/ laugh, so any side playing against them. Have a lot of time for Rangers but not what I’d call a second team

No 2nd team for me but I do have a slight feeling of kinship with Norwich, mainly because I spent 3 enjoyable years living and drinking there (1 of which was about 100m from the stadium) but also because they have always felt like a similar club to ourselves.

The 'local' team for the last 14 years has been Spurs but they can f**k off.

• 2 weeks later...

Tough one this. There are a lot of teams that I have a fondness for but no 'second team' as such. The difference is in emotional commitment and fidelity, 'second' teams gome and go. For instance I used to be fond of Rangers but when they bellied up I thought there's no chance I'm going through all that again...

After three years in three separate leagues and a lot of grudges along the way, my 'second teams' equates to 'teams I don't hate'. A lot of my Sky 4 supporting mates can't understand the concept that I don't have another 'big' team that I support. I suppose it's Liverpool as I hate Man U, Man City, Arsenal and Chelsea but only feel a mild dislike for Liverpool. (perhaps that's because they're crap now I don't know) Also for some reason a disproportionate number of my non-Saints friends are Spurs supporters so it's hard to hate Spurs even when Harry was at the helm. But that's all I can say - I don't actively hate them.

Don't have one. I know that it is all personal, but I have no real interest in any other team, save possibly (just) the England team.

Used to go to FC Girondins de Bordeaux a fair bit when living there 20 or so years ago, but have no interest in them now. Having said that I had no interest in other clubs, I do look out for a few others, but which clubs they are changes quite a lot. At present I like to see how Coventry do, given the circumstances they find themselves in and how they did in the last game last season. I like to see how the Cherries do and of course Pompey, but don't really care whether they win or not.