Poppys on the shirts

Crab Lungs

Wow. Just.... wow! I've just caught up on this thread and I have to say that I never thought this forum could ever reach the depths of moronic hypocrisy that it has. Just to sum up, for those who still don't see the irony...

Poster A - "They gave their lives so that we could all enjoy freedom of choice and expression"

Poster B - "OK I respect that and I am happy to observe a minutes silence and donate to the charity etc..., but I exercise that freedom given to me by choosing not to wear an insignificant bit of plastic"

Poster A - "Then you're a c\/nt and you should be forced to wear one!"

Hahahaha! Cheers guys - not had such a good laugh in ages.

Wow. Just.... wow! I've just caught up on this thread and I have to say that I never thought this forum could ever reach the depths of moronic hypocrisy that it has. Just to sum up, for those who still don't see the irony...

Poster A - "They gave their lives so that we could all enjoy freedom of choice and expression"

Poster B - "OK I respect that and I am happy to observe a minutes silence and donate to the charity etc..., but I exercise that freedom given to me by choosing not to wear an insignificant bit of plastic"

Another one not getting it. I never thought this forum could ever reach the depths of moronic idocy that it has. LOL at all the lefties only seeing what they want to see. Find ONE Post where someone says he should be forced to wear one.

HAHHAHAHAHAHA! Cheers Bexy, not had such a good laugh in ages.

Your just a poor man's Verbal, Bearsy, tokyo, whoever...

Another one not getting it. I never thought this forum could ever reach the depths of moronic idocy that it has. LOL at all the lefties only seeing what they want to see. Find ONE Post where someone says he should be forced to wear one.

HAHHAHAHAHAHA! Cheers Bexy, not had such a good laugh in ages.

here's one

People should be made to wear a poppy at gun point, I think it keeps with the spirit of the whole thing :rolleyes:

I think you are a massive cvnt if you decide not to wear one....nothing personal

Then you're a cu nt.

Your use of the term "insignificant bit of plastic" to describe the poppies many of us wear speaks volumes about you and your views on the subject.

No I definately miss Verbal. He genuinely added intellect to the debate. I am afraid with you Tokyo its like getting into an argument in a Student Union bar at one of the former polytechnics.

Sounds like you are speaking from experience? I never even knew I was in an argument, what a thicko!

Wow. Just.... wow! I've just caught up on this thread and I have to say that I never thought this forum could ever reach the depths of moronic hypocrisy that it has.

Have a go on this one...

Go and support another team if you think you are being bullied into wearing a poppy

Your use of the term "insignificant bit of plastic" to describe the poppies many of us wear speaks volumes about you and your views on the subject.

Does it? Really? I mean, if there was some way we could commune with all those dead soldiers in the afterlife and ask their opinion, what do you think they would say about it? My guess is that they wouldn't give the slightest toss if people wear poppies or not, as long as they remember the sacrifice made and honour that by enjoying the freedoms that were fought for.

FWIW... My great grandfather was lost to a German U-boat during the Battle of the Atlantic in 1942. His older brother was KIA somewhere in Belgium in 1917. I know this because I have taken the time to read all of the research that my mum has carried out on our family history, and looked up the records of where there is a plaque bearing their names. I have given money to the poppy appeal on many occasions, and I always observe the silence on Rememberance Day, but I choose not to wear a poppy when I give my money over, for the same reason that I have never taken a wristband when giving to Help For Heroes: because I don't believe that wearing such a symbol in any way validates my choice to donate and acknowledge the reasons for it.

I'm wondering if all of the holier-than-though judges on here could tell me... Does that make me a c\/nt?

Edited by Sheaf Saint

Does it? Really? I mean, if there was some way we could commune with all those dead soldiers in the afterlife and ask their opinion, what do you think they would say about it? My guess is that they wouldn't give the slightest toss if people wear poppies or not, as long as they remember the sacrifice made and honour that by enjoying the freedoms that were fought for.

FWIW... My great grandfather was lost to a German U-boat during the Battle of the Atlantic in 1942. His older brother was KIA somewhere in Belgium in 1917. I know this because I have taken the time to read all of the research that my mum has carried out on our family history, and looked up the records of where there is a plaque bearing their names. I have given money to the poppy appeal on many occasions, and I always observe the silence on Rememberance Day, but I choose not to wear a poppy when I give my money over, for the same reason that I have never taken a wristband when giving to Help For Heroes: because I don't believe that wearing such a symbol in any way validates my choice to donate and acknowledge the reasons for it.

I'm wondering if all of the holier-than-though judges on here could tell me... Does that make me a c\/nt?

and the relevance to the Sunderland player who declined to wear a poppy is.........

It would make a great family fortunes question wouldn't it??

We asked 100 dead members of the Royal British Legion what their view was of people wearing poppies on rememberance sunday

Bexy says, "dont give a toss" Is it there????

and the relevance to the Sunderland player who declined to wear a poppy is.........

None I guess. I was simply responding to Sour Mash so that he could have all of the available information before making a snap judgment on me and my reasons for not wearing a poppy.

As for McLean, well he obviously had his own reasons for choosing not to wear one, just as I do. AS BTF suggested, there may be some reason why he or his family may face a backlash at home in Derry if he did wear one, so I am not going to pass judgment on him, as many others on here appear to be very eager to do, for exercising his right to freedom of choice and freedom of expression.

Nothing. but Bexy has show how self righteous he/she is and also that he knows what his great grandad did. He/she's researched this dontach know. Unholier than thous wouldn't have a clue what our forefathers did.

I've read a lot of talk about freedom on this thread. The reason I choose to wear a poppy is to remember the people who had no freedom to choose about whether to fight or not because of conscription. They had very little say in whther they fought or not but still did it. If there was another World War and Ireland/UK introduced conscription (I'll admit this is an unlikely prospect but still) then the Sunderland player plus a lot of people on this site will have to fight whether they like it or not no matter how rich he is. I hope it never happens but anyway, as I said, that's why I like to wear the poppy.

McClean is free not to wear one and, given the history between his country and the armed forces, I'm not entirely surprised.

I've been to a few remembrance services and I have always found them moving. However, I wish there wasn't so much religious stuff wrapped up in it.

I don't think this issue is as big as everybody thinks it is. You certainly don't have to subscribe to the values of our country to live here. That's part of the beauty of our liberal democracy.

I'll tell you what - go along to your local British Legion or next year's remembrance service and tell the servicemen there that wearing a poppy is just a insignificant bit of plastic and see what they say.

For me there is only one pertinent question :

If he despises the Union so much, that he had to close his Twitter account for posting abusive sectarian sh*t, and will not acknowledge the sacrifice of British AND IRISH citizens dying to make the world a better place along side the rest of his team, then why the f**k is he plying his trade and earning his living in Britain ? Why doesnt he f**k off to France or Germany or Holland ?

Because he is typical British moron who cant be bothered or is incapable of learning another language and integrating with the culture of others. And I bet he thinks Unionist Brits are intolerant.

He's a bellend, and he looks like one too.

Edited by alpine_saint

I'll tell you what - go along to your local British Legion or next year's remembrance service and tell the servicemen there that wearing a poppy is just a insignificant bit of plastic and see what they say.

If people care more about a symbol than they do about the sentiment behind it then that's up to them.

If people care more about a symbol than they do about the sentiment behind it then that's up to them.

How do you know if someone shares the sentiment if they dont have the symbol on display. And if someone refuses the symbol, most people would think they are saying "f**k you" to the sentiment, and rightly so.

Really, I wonder about your thought processes sometimes.

So if you don't wear a Marie Curie flower, you are saying fukc off to cancer sufferers, or a help for heroes band or a billy sharp T-shirt etc etc?

I don't think you are correct here Alps. By the way, how is the moustache going? Please up load a photo for lols.

If you are refusing to wear one on a day where nearly the whole country pauses to remember.. Then yes, you Are IMO deppo

If you are refusing to wear one on a day where nearly the whole country pauses to remember.. Then yes, you Are IMO deppo

I didn't say I refused to wear one, just that people should have the freedom to choose to wear one or not without having the heavies call them names. I am simply playing devils advocate for the Sunderland player (I don't even remember his name). It is easy for an English man in the armed forces to have strong feelings about this cause as it is very much their cause and the cause of many like them before. However, you should not judge someone until you have walked a mile in their shoes or at the very least considered their opinion.

He may love many things about England, have an English wife, friends, even Morris dance in the summer evenings but his personal experience of encounters with the British Army may be extremely negative. I think what the poppy represents over the years has changed. When I was younger, I was told that it was made by heroes of the two world wars, conscripted ordinary men and women that were called up and injured protecting our freedom. However, to many, rightly or wrongly, it seems to be a symbol that incorporates the current British army. As far as I am aware, he has not made a big deal about not wearing it, just said he would rather not and the club have respected his wish and given him a shrt without a poppy on it. I believe people should have freedom of choice to wear it or not. If you wear it and others wear it, you have something in common with them, a positive belief in a good cause. That should bring you together and work for the greater good. However, it should not bring you together and be used against others, otherwise this is SS style fascism, you are either with us or against us mentality.

Edited by Tokyo-Saint

I didn't say I refused to wear one, just that people should have the freedom to choose to wear one or not without having the heavies call them names. I am simply playing devils advocate for the Sunderland player (I don't even remember his name). It is easy for an English man in the armed forces to have strong feelings about this cause as it is very much their cause and the cause of many like them before. However, you should not judge someone until you have walked a mile in their shoes or at the very least considered their opinion.

Right, so where does the "right to choose" end ?

Did that tw*t dressed in a pink tutu on a skateboard have the "right to choose" to disrupt Bristols Remembrance service ?

Did that bellend on Facebook have the "right to choose" to burn a poppy in such a public act of provocation ?

Public order offences relate to the prohibition of any act which may cause such a provocation that a breach of the peace occurs.

Are the Orange Order still allow to march their traditional routes in Belfast ?

Its a load of hypocritical sh*t. In Britain 2012 you are allowed to provoke a reaction as long as your act is against the state, or against the majority community in the state. But do anything against a minority interest, and the full force of the law and state come down on you.

Did that tw*t dressed in a pink tutu on a skateboard have the "right to choose" to disrupt Bristols Remembrance service ?

Did that bellend on Facebook have the "right to choose" to burn a poppy in such a public act of provocation ?

Public order offences relate to the prohibition of any act which may cause such a provocation that a breach of the peace occurs.

Its a load of hypocritical sh*t. In Britain 2012 you are allowed to provoke a reaction as long as your act is against the state, or against the majority community in the state. But do anything against a minority interest, and the full force of the law and state come down on you.

How is not wearing a poppy an act of provocation?

Most people I saw on Sunday didn't wear a poppy, maybe it's a mass act of provocation.

And each one of those you saw was deliberately attempting to stand out against what background, exactly ?

10 Sunderland players wore the poppy, and one decided not to. He decided to stand out against his team mates. He was drawing attention to himself and being provocative.

And each one of those you saw was deliberately attempting to stand out against what background, exactly ?

10 Sunderland players wore the poppy, and one decided not to. He decided to stand out against his team mates. He was drawing attention to himself and being provocative.

You're the expert on this, I'll take your word on it.

I was talking in general terms (as I stated), people should have freedom of choice. If a group of people choose to support a good cause and show that, it should bring these people together in a positive way. It should not however be used as a stick to beat those that choose not to, that can be a negative thing with fascist connotations, wear this, think this way, do this, you are either with us or against us, not exactly what the poppy stands for.

Alps there is huge difference between chosing not to waer soimething and the dispicable acts ou mention that are deliberate attempts at provocation. But even then despite the fact that most sane people would disagree with this type of 'protest', once again the fact that we have teh right to do so, no matter how unpalettable it may seem is the very freedom, our fallen fought to preserve. It is a right that may well be abused by some, and this is shameful, but the fact remains, whilst we are in a free country we have to accept that with these freedoms we will always see extremists of all types abuse them. The thought of removing those rights would be disrespecting those wh lost tehir lives fighting for them.

My first thought is that he can f*ck off and play for Celtic where his actions would give him hero status.

However I suppose he can do what he wants, freedom of speech and all that. I'm just glad he's not one of our lads.

On a side note should this thread be renamed the 'Poppy Takeover Saga'?

So what about observing a minutes silence? If it's all about choice why should i observe a respectful observe a minutes silence for someone that likely never knew, didn't like or no respect for? It's all about my choice and freedom so i want to shout that i thought the bloke was a c*nt during the minutes silence then that is my right. If anyone tries to silence me i shall tell them that people died in the war for me to have these priviledges. Shouldn't we be applauding the Skates, for example, that shouldn't obsesnities during Ted Bates minutes silence, that they were exercising their freedom of speech and well within their rights to say such things?