The relegation battle

max_saints

xGxbU.png

With the table starting to shape up nicely for us and a couple of winnable home games ahead, can we now safely say that earlier talks of a relegation battle at the end of the season were premature and we will hopefully start to see the light at the end of the tunnel after the next few games. Or is it equally premature to say that things are starting to look up for us?

For me, I'm feeling really positive especially after being unbeaten for three games in a row. The defense looks really settled and the team playing with confidence all around. IMO, we should be able to win our next three home games against Norwich, Reading and Sunderland plus one of Fulham or Stoke away (two draws would suit me fine too) and that should set us up looking really comfortable with half the season gone and a January transfer window to perhaps strengthen the team.

One point to note is that while Reading and Sunderland have a game in hand, it means they'll be playing each other and with the both of them down there with us, any result in that game would be beneficial for us (of course a draw would be best) so I don't see that game in hand being a crucial factor.

Anyone else feels the same or think we'll still be stuck in bottom 3 with half the season to go?

Just like losing to the top 8 sides in the country in the early games did not mean we would be relegated, winning the last 2 does not mean we will be safe.

we need to continue to cut out the mistakes, work our socks off and maybe, just maybe we will finish one place outside of the relegation zone.

The good thing for me is those who attend SMS are not unrealistic and will not be heaping extra pressure on the Club,

Wednesday is a massive game we need another 7 points before xmas and we can get 6 in our next 2 home games, after xmas we sign our extra defender or 2 and go on a good run after after jan and be safe, i feel 38 points will be enough to stay up this season, its between QPR Villa Reading Us Wigan Norwich who will go down, i know Norwich are in a good position but should we beat them there back in the battle, Sunderland will push on eventually, Swansea may be the only other team that may get dragged in to the battle.

I am feeling positive that when we play to the best of our ability as per today then we every chance of staying up this season. I am also prepared to hold my hand up and say I have been over critical of Adkins, bar someone in the mould of the dour gum chewer I can't see any manager doing a lot better he seems to have learnt a lot the last few games no more crazy subs and crazy formations today was our best starting 11 and it showed! I still think there may be something in that alleged showdown talk with cortese I do believe he was meddling a little to much in thes managers job

Still a long way to go. Still need 3 points from Norwich. Progress is being made, and the defence is looking much more solid.

The next few weeks are still huge though. We have a very tough January, and will have less home games in the 2nd half of the season. Get 9 points from the next four games and we'll be in a good place for the rest of the season.

As positive as things are starting to seem after 7 points in 3 games, I still think we're going to be in a relegation battle, but that's pending strengthening the team correctly in January. Keep beating the teams around us, or the teams we think may be around us in the relegation battle, and we'll ultimately be fine. Whatever happens I'd like at least ONE win against a big 4 team.